GUILTY NC - Teghan Skiba, 4, Smithfield, 19 July 2010 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye
For those who follow trials, what is the shortest time you know of a jury deliberating?

Yes, SurfieTx - GHayes was less than two hours. The verdict sheet in that trial was much less "complicated" becuz, IIANM, there was only the Murder charge, and no DP.

This case's verdict sheet is a lot more complicated since they are rightly, IMO, charging him with everything that is appropriate to what that monster did.

I think it will take about 30 minutes just to check & double-check to make sure the verdict sheet is completed correctly. And I feel sure they'll have to take a break (10-15 min). Often, it seems, a jury will decide, then go to lunch and then announce that they have a verdict when they return.

So if it goes to 1 and 1/2 hours, do not fret. But not much longer...
icon6.gif

What's taking them so long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heather Moore ‏@HeatherMooreNow 55s
#JonathanRichardson jury coming back. We think it may be a verdict. Standby. Live streams going back up.

Heather Moore ‏@HeatherMooreNow 17s
#JonathanRichardson jury didn't properly fill out & sign verdict sheet.Judge sending them back to jury room to complete. Shouldn't take long

Sounds like they may NOT have a verdict...at least that is what I think I heard. Maybe???

Heather Moore ‏@HeatherMooreNow 1m

#JonathanRichardson jury didn't properly fill out & sign verdict sheet.Judge sending them back to jury room to complete. Shouldn't take long

I re-listened to the jury instructions and typed out all the charges. I like to have them infront of me when the verdict is read. posting them here in case others like doing that as well.
my apologies for the typos

Charge >> sexual offense with a child:

did the defendant engage with a sexual act with the child (penetration of genetal opening/area with any object)

the time of the act, the victim was a child under 13

the time of the act the defendant was at least 18

if all the above is found, the defendant is to be found Guilty of this offense

Charge >>1st deg kidnapping:

did the def. unlawfully imprison in an area or restrain a person from movement

victim was under 16

def restrained the person for the purpse of either/all:
a) terrorizing (high degree of fear)
b) facilitating his comission of sexual offense with a child
c) doing serious bodily injury to the victim

the person had been sexually assaulted OR had been seriously injured

If all of the above are found, the def is to be found Guilty of 1st degree kidnapping.

Charge >>Felonious child abuse - inflicting serious bodily injury

- def. was person providing care to child

- the child was under 16

- the def. without excuse intentionally assaulted the child which resulted in serious bodily injury (a bodily injry that causes death or perm. disfurement, imparement, or prolonged hospitalization.)

if all of the above are found to be true, the def. must be found Guilty for felonious child abuse - inflicting serious bodily injury

Charge >> 1st Degree Murder

- Guilty of 1st deg

>>1st Degree Murder- BY TORTURE

2 things must be proven

- def. intentionally tortured victim (enflict grevious pain and suffering on victim for sadistic pleasure, repeated over a period of time, however short. a plan was in the mind of def. to inflict pain.

- torture was cause of victim's death

>>1st Degree Murder - prepration of sexual offense with a cild

these things must be proven:

- def. commited sexual offense with a child

- while commiting sexual offense with a child, def. killed victim

- approximate cause of murder - death was direct result of abuse - No break in chain of events.

>>>1st Degree Murder-1st degree kidnapping

Same qualifying factors as 1st degree kidnapping above

>>>1st Degree Murder- Felonious child abuse causing serious bodily harm using a weapon

same qualifying factors as Felonious child abuse causing serious bodily harm as above

(For hands to be considered weapons, size of hands must be taken into consideration for the acts in which they were used.)

If not found guilty of 1st deg. murder next option is:
Guilty of 2nd

Unlawful killing of a human with malice

5 things must be proven

- victim rec'd fatal injury

- injury was approx. cause of death

- injury was inflicted intentionally (all injuries and various stages of healing, all evidence shown can be used to make determination)

- the def. inflicted these injuries

- the def. acted with malice

If all of the above are met, def. must be found Guilty of 2nd degree murder

- G of invol. manslaughter

- Not guilty

WRAL NEWS in NC ‏@WRAL 51s
Verdict is in but paperwork is not complete in #JonathanRichardson trial #teghanskiba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btc121296