Still Missing NC - Zebb Quinn, 18, Asheville, 2 Jan 2000 *Arrest in 2017*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agreed - though I believe they are high on the list, maybe just not enough evidence....yet. Those two, along with the 'friend' did this - and for what, couple of hundred/thousand dollars? So Ina (aunt, who I suspect has info but doesn't want to be involved), Misty, Wes and Owens - it's coming, hope you're prepared.

YES! This also made me wonder if Zebb would've had the money on him since he was car searching. I've never seen anything regarding this (or if I have, it's been so long I don't remember it) but it could be possible, even though he was just going to look and at such a late hour, that he had the cash to purchase one, when he found one. And if so, I bet Misty would've known he was carrying a large amount of cash. May be farfetched, but maybe not.

YES! This also made me wonder if Zebb would've had the money on him since he was car searching. I've never seen anything regarding this (or if I have, it's been so long I don't remember it) but it could be possible, even though he was just going to look and at such a late hour, that he had the cash to purchase one, when he found one. And if so, I bet Misty would've known he was carrying a large amount of cash. May be farfetched, but maybe not.

I haven't watched his Disappeared in a while, but I remembered it being more along the lines of: he was saving for a car, and he was going to look at the car he was saving for after work? Just to get excited about looking at it?

Maybe I'm wrong...

It feels unlikely that the puppy was a gift from Zebb. The car was found two weeks later, which means that someone would have had to taken care of the puppy for a while. If we assume that Zebb Quinn was murdered on that night or shortly after his disappearance, it wouldn't make much sense. I know this does nothing but deepen the mystery.

Second, my first impression of the car didn't hit me as sinister. To me, the circumstances read as if the entire abandoning of Zebb's vehicle was done by someone frantic and nervous. Not calculated at all. Forgetting to turn off the headlights, leaving a jacket behind, leaving the car in a public space (literally a corner restaurant on a busy street). The whole thing seems panicked, almost like someone was given this responsibility (possibly Misty) after a crime of passion. I wonder if LE ever pressed her about the issue of the puppy? I find it difficult to believe that someone who is willing to murder a human being and taunt his family/LE would be empathetic enough to care for, leave behind, and roll down the windows for a small puppy while dumping off Zebb's car. If the presence of a dog/lips is a 'sinister taunt', it's either illogical -- or deeply personal and meaningful to Zebb or someone intimately involved in Zebb's life or disappearance.

The most interesting thing for me is: what was the connection between Zebb's estranged Aunt and Misty's mother? The entire break-in scenario (accusations that things were moved around) to cover up the sending of a page is beyond suspect. If this aunt was as distant and estranged as it seems, would Misty and her abusive ex even know that Zebb was related? Misty would have to know that her mother (Tamara) knew and intereacted with the Aunt and then, that she was related to Zebb. And if so, would Misty/BF then be cunning enough to sneak into her home and send out a page of some fabricated distressing family emergency to lure Zebb in? It's a possibility, but it doesn't seem likely. The simplest explanation based on the facts we know is that she appears to be hiding something.

Was the dealership/individual/car that Zebb was planning on looking at ever verified as being legitimate? Proof of correspondence between Zebb and this person would be interesting.

Last question: Did Owens ever tell police in which direction Zebb drove away after receiving the text? Just a longshot (I'm not familiar with the area), but I'd be interested to know if he was driving towards the general direction of: His Aunt's house? Misty's house? Home?

It's been echoed here before, but this cold case shouldn't still be unsolved. There are four major players here who each gave suspicious and confusing and downright odd information. The investigation, from the facts we have, seems to be a lackluster affair. It feels like a case where with enough hounding and work, pieces would come together.

Is there any way to locate the police report or official files on the case?

I feel like the puppy was left in the car to get rid of it, just as they were getting rid of the car.

If Misty was involved, she was probably going through some intense emotions during those 2 weeks. She could have acquired the dog herself or it may have been given to her during that time in order to make her feel better. But like many people who get a pet on impulse, they may have quickly decided that they couldn't actually take care of it and abandoned it somewhere they knew it would be found.

this case drive me nuts there is so much potential evidence i do not understand how there is no trace of what happened or at least more info. does anyone know if misty is still with the same bf she was when this took place .. this long later and she might be willing to turn on him if asked the right questions and a lie would be hard to remember 100% this long after i think they should revisit all the ppl involved and see what turns up

this case drive me nuts there is so much potential evidence i do not understand how there is no trace of what happened or at least more info. does anyone know if misty is still with the same bf she was when this took place .. this long later and she might be willing to turn on him if asked the right questions and a lie would be hard to remember 100% this long after i think they should revisit all the ppl involved and see what turns up

]Wow I had totally forgotten about this case . This hits very close to home. Back in 2000 I was living in that area of Asheville. I moved away for a number of years. Now that I am back the memories of this case and Zeb himself are starting to come back to me. Zeb was not a close friend of mine but he was most defiantly in my social circle. He worked in the electronics department at the local Walmart. My girlfriend at the time also worked at the same walmart with zeb. In fact one of my close friends at the time also actually worked in "electronics" with zeb from time to time. Some things I remember about Zeb. Keep in mind this was 15 years ago . So I was in my late teens early 20's. He was a nice low key guy. He worked alot most of his friends were in ROTC with him. What I found strange was Zeb could not stand to see any female mistreated. I also feel no one should be mistreated but Zeb could be a little overzealous . He confronted me once in the walmart parking lot . I found it to be out of character for him. He took issue with something I said to my then girlfriend earlier in the week. I found it odd that he would aggressively call me out. As I out weighted him by 60lbs and was the classic ex jock meat head 19-20 year old. My girlfriend came out and we all talked and decided it was a misunderstanding Other that brief encounter Zeb and I would run into each other from time to time and we would always speak. Zeb is a good guy I really cant believe this case is still unsolved . From my interaction with Zeb if he felt like the Misty was in danger he would have rushed to her aid. My heart goes out to his family ! I hope they can find some answerers.

]Wow I had totally forgotten about this case . This hits very close to home. Back in 2000 I was living in that area of Asheville. I moved away for a number of years. Now that I am back the memories of this case and Zeb himself are starting to come back to me. Zeb was not a close friend of mine but he was most defiantly in my social circle. He worked in the electronics department at the local Walmart. My girlfriend at the time also worked at the same walmart with zeb. In fact one of my close friends at the time also actually worked in "electronics" with zeb from time to time. Some things I remember about Zeb. Keep in mind this was 15 years ago . So I was in my late teens early 20's. He was a nice low key guy. He worked alot most of his friends were in ROTC with him. What I found strange was Zeb could not stand to see any female mistreated. I also feel no one should be mistreated but Zeb could be a little overzealous . He confronted me once in the walmart parking lot . I found it to be out of character for him. He took issue with something I said to my then girlfriend earlier in the week. I found it odd that he would aggressively call me out. As I out weighted him by 60lbs and was the classic ex jock meat head 19-20 year old. My girlfriend came out and we all talked and decided it was a misunderstanding Other that brief encounter Zeb and I would run into each other from time to time and we would always speak. Zeb is a good guy I really cant believe this case is still unsolved . From my interaction with Zeb if he felt like the Misty was in danger he would have rushed to her aid. My heart goes out to his family ! I hope they can find some answerers.

:welcome: Welcome, Wild! Thank you for sharing your personal insight!!

This whole thing reminds me a bit of that damn Serial podcast.

Misty's BF is the "Adnan" -- he makes the most sense as the killer, since he's got an obvious motive (Misty was two-timing him with the victim), but as far as I know there's not a single scrap of evidence tying him to it. Yet most of the "theories" I've read seem to center on him.

Owens, meanwhile, is the "Jay" -- shady as hell, his story doesn't add up, and there's actual evidence tying him to the crime, as he was the last person seen in Zebb's company before he vanished, and has injuries he has no good explanation for. Yet most theories that involve him only add him in as an accomplice. We ignore the actual evidence because the "story" doesn't make sense.

I see your point, but I don't think we have enough information on either Wesley/Adnan or Jason/Jay in either case to say anything definitive. There also are pieces of circumstantial evidence that link Wesley to the crime via Misty. There is the call from Ina Ustich's house when Ina was apparently at the Taylor family home; this and Misty's mother's relationship with Ina are links to the Taylor family. The composite sketch of the person seen driving Zebb's car after he disappeared again points to Misty. And Wesley was said to have a volatile temper and jealousy issues so it's not inconceivable that he would've snapped when he found out that his girlfriend was spending time with another man in a hotel room. The people involved were 18-20 years old when this happened; a crime of passion is more likely than a murder for money plot, IMO.

Robert Jason Owens is also a super shady character (far more so than Jay from "Serial" is, IMO ... have you read the interview he gave to The Intercept?), but he might have been lying about the car accidents to maximize insurance payouts. I agree, however, that the phony phone call from his place of employment is hard to shake, as is the fact that he was the last (known) person to see Zebb alive. But his claim that Zebb got a page and drove off lines up with the facts, as someone did "break into" Ina's house at this time and page Zebb ... and the fact that Ina was paging him, as well as the bizarre claim of the "break in," points right back to Taylor/Smith. The frustrating thing about this case is that there is no (known) link between Smith/Taylor and Owens. I feel like things would be clearer if there were.

Does anyone know if Zebb was carrying any of the money he was saving to buy a new car? I know that he was looking at a car, but this doesn't mean that he had planned to pay cash that very night if he liked it. I'd be much more suspicious of Owens if we could confirm that Zebb disappeared with a big wad of cash in his pocket, but I've never heard/read that from a reliable source.

The most interesting thing for me is: what was the connection between Zebb's estranged Aunt and Misty's mother? The entire break-in scenario (accusations that things were moved around) to cover up the sending of a page is beyond suspect. If this aunt was as distant and estranged as it seems, would Misty and her abusive ex even know that Zebb was related? Misty would have to know that her mother (Tamara) knew and intereacted with the Aunt and then, that she was related to Zebb. And if so, would Misty/BF then be cunning enough to sneak into her home and send out a page of some fabricated distressing family emergency to lure Zebb in? It's a possibility, but it doesn't seem likely. The simplest explanation based on the facts we know is that she appears to be hiding something.

Last question: Did Owens ever tell police in which direction Zebb drove away after receiving the text? Just a longshot (I'm not familiar with the area), but I'd be interested to know if he was driving towards the general direction of: His Aunt's house? Misty's house? Home?

The relationship between Tamra Taylor and Ina Ustich was apparently close. She was supposedly eating dinner with the family, as she often did, on the night of the "break in," and Tamra and Ina were planning on opening a restaurant together. That didn't appear to happen, but I get the impression that Ina was a close family friend of the Taylors. After Zebb's disappearance, though, her brother Jerry (Zebb's father) threatened her and she moved to Tennessee. I wouldn't be surprised if she cut contact with the Taylors at that point to distance herself from this case.

Robert Jesse Owens claimed that Zebb turned the car around and headed back in the direction from which they came (i.e., back towards the Wal-Mart). I know a few of the relevant addresses and townships so I could map this out, but even if Ina's house or the Taylor family home were in the direction in which Zebb headed, it proves nothing. This was a highway in a rural-ish area and there were only two ways to go. Back towards town doesn't mean much.

I am going to that exact area today . I have a general idea of most addresses of the parties involved at the time . Not sure if it's a waste of time ? However it would be nice to get a visual of the area .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My theory: I think Misty’s boyfriend and Jason Owens were in cahoots to harm Zebb. Wes wanted to hurt him after finding out Zebb had a thing for his girlfriend and Jason wanted the money Zebb was carrying around to buy a new car. I think they hatched a plan to lure him somewhere which is what happened that night. I think the injuries Jason had from his “car accident” that night were actually from Zebb fighting back while they attacked him. I don’t think Misty knew about what they did to Zebb until after the fact but she’s kept her mouth shut all these years because she’s still with Wes and has children with him. I’d be interested in finding out if anyone noticed in the days afterward if Jason had a lot of money on him or was making a lot of purchases with cash. I have read that Jason is now in prison and was advised by his lawyer not to talk about Zebb’s disappearance, which REALLY makes me wonder why. If he is completely innocent and was merely going with Zebb to look at a car that night, why on earth would his lawyer be concerned about him talking about Zebb’s case?

When it comes down to it, I think the Asheville police did a horrible investigation of this case and the guilty parties got away with murder.

I have to add that I often look at Misty’s facebook and just seeing her pic gives me the creeps. Maybe it’s just me but the look in her eye is not of a good person. JMO

Drawing on car windows I remember this fad . In 1999 -2000 it's was just something teen girls did . They wrote Go Rams or Go Teams for pep rallies . It was also common to come out to your car and find that a girl who had a crush on you had randomly drawn a simple love note on the back windshield ie I love u or some similar phrase . It makes perfect sense to me . Misty didn't know about zebb being killed until after the fact . Wes and Jason involved her in the cover up tho . A composite sketch from and eyewitness described a woman that bears a shocking resemblance to misty driving Zebb's car. Writing on the rear window was done by Misty . I would bet my life on that .

Also someone mentioned Facebook . Social networks often provide a number of clues in cases like this . I have been dedicating a lot of time to solve this case . While digging through Facebook I came across the profile of Jason Owens . It was private and didn't offer much info . However when I looked at his wife's page . I was shocked too see pictures of a lab puppy similar to the one left in Zebb's car 15 years ago . Now I realize these were not pics of the exact puppy left in the car . I still find it very interesting .

Jason wanted the money Zebb was carrying around to buy a new car.

I don't think Zebb had any large sum of money on him. He wasn't planning on purchasing a car that night, he was just going to look at one.

I have read that Jason is now in prison and was advised by his lawyer not to talk about Zebb’s disappearance, which REALLY makes me wonder why. If he is completely innocent and was merely going with Zebb to look at a car that night, why on earth would his lawyer be concerned about him talking about Zebb’s case?

Because a lot of people probably want to talk to him about that case, and any good lawyer would advise their client not to talk about a case that people want to implicate them in.

Okay Discovery ID just happened to rerun Zebb’s Disappeared episode today so rewatched it. I had forgotten that Zebb’s aunt had changed her story a couple of times. Why would she tell LE someone broke into her house to use her phone and then deny that she ever made that claim? Makes no sense unless she was trying to cover something up. I can’t understand why one of Zebb’s own relatives would be involved in covering up his disappearance but with her conflicting statements it sure seems like that’s what she was doing. This case is so darn frustrating!

Okay Discovery ID just happened to rerun Zebb’s Disappeared episode today so rewatched it. I had forgotten that Zebb’s aunt had changed her story a couple of times. Why would she tell LE someone broke into her house to use her phone and then deny that she ever made that claim? Makes no sense unless she was trying to cover something up. I can’t understand why one of Zebb’s own relatives would be involved in covering up his disappearance but with her conflicting statements it sure seems like that’s what she was doing. This case is so darn frustrating!

I agree 100%.

This is one of the most frustrating cases for me.

Judging from Misty Taylor's FB page (how many Misty Taylors could there be in North Carolina?) she's become a born-again Christian. I wonder if there's still something weighing on her conscience? :thinking:

She also seems very insecure about her looks. I wonder if her insecurities could be one of the reasons why she was two-timing, and maybe why she's still with that dude.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back