ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The man accused of kidnapping a college student from a mall parking lot was talking with detectives Thursday in advance of his first court appearance in North Dakota, creating what the police chief described as a “window of opportunity” to solve the case. Law enforcement officers, meanwhile, were mounting a more-focused search to try to find Dru Sjodin.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000140.asp?vts=120420030859

Report on Fox news right now that the search for Dru is reaching a "critical stage" and that bad weather is expected.
Maybe I'm just really dense but how can they arrest someone for kidnapping when they don't know where the victim is? Either they are just going on the idea that he was in the parking lot (as seen on the surveillance camera) or they have something definite on this guy. What could they have? Obviously, they aren't going to reveal everything, but it amazes me that they have this guy in custody but no sign of Dru. Sorry for rambling, just trying to understand...
Misty

MissMisty - If they saw him abduct her on the cameras, they know they have their man. They don't need her body to arrest him. All they need is probable cause.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000140.asp?0cv=CB10

GRAND FORKS, N.D., Dec. 4 — A judge on Thursday set bail at $5 million for a man accused of kidnapping a missing college student from a mall parking lot two weeks ago. The court appearance came after the police chief told NBC News that the suspect was talking to investigators, creating a “window of opportunity” to solve the baffling disappearance of Dru Sjodin.

"The man accused of kidnapping a college student from a mall parking lot was talking with detectives Thursday in advance of his first court appearance in North Dakota, creating what the police chief described as a “window of opportunity” to solve the case."

What do they mean by "window of opportunity"?? When he left her she was still alive but injured?? Ugh!

http://startribune.com/stories/462/4248944.html

...Defense attorney David Dusek said Rodriguez ``agreed that for his safety he should remain in custody.''

Afterwards, Dusek said he had been appointed to the case about two hours before the hearing. He said he told Rodriguez to stop talking with police until Rodriguez and Dusek could speak further.

(snip)

Defense attorney David Dusek... "said he told Rodriguez to stop talking with police until Rodriguez and Dusek could speak further."

What a guy! I wonder if he would give the same advise if some creep were to abduct his child?

JMO

But I just saw the police chief live on CNN at the top of the hour and he seemed so confident, so hopeful, he said this perp is talking, his family is helping too. Like they are really close to finding her and it seems they think she is alive. He said they are close to a positive outcome. But they play with words. Is their positive outcome finding her body for burial or finding her alive?

How does Dru's family deal with this?? Seriously, I am not made of the same stuff they are.

Yak, does your local news give update's constantly. How about radio? Come back Yakwoman, you are our local connection and we are desperate for any news.

If anyone hears they found her, post it, who cares if we have multiple postings of the same news. Lots of people from the Laci Peterson forum are following this too. If there is a miracle, someone please put a thread about it there too.

What a miracle that would be, if she were found alive. I cannot imagine the joy. Lets all think good thoughts - I know I'll be praying for that miracle!

Edited to say: I hope that monster is not just toying with LE and the family, giving false hope. I don't think the authorities would go on TV with this info unless they had some basis for believing him...

Originally posted by mindys

Yak, does your local news give update's constantly. How about radio? Come back Yakwoman, you are our local connection and we are desperate for any news.

Local news does not break into programming to give us any updates - it's just what we get during the scheduled news broadcasts. CNN & FOX are camped out at the GF jail, so at this point in time, the national news coverage is better than local reporting.

Did anyone see the footage last night of Rodriguez being transfered to the GF County Jail? He had this hooded parka on, all zipped up with just his eyes & nose showing - he looked like Kenny on South Park! One of my friends knows someone who works at the corrections center and he said that it wasn't even Rodriguez! It was some other guy that had to be transfered to GF County and the media just swarmed all over this guy and filmed the whole thing. Rodriguez was actually transfered about an hour later without any fanfare or media attention. He says it wasn't planned that way, but that LE had a good laugh over the news media following the wrong guy.

Yakwoman

From the MSNBC article turbo posted the link to above:

"Wednesday was the third day that volunteers had helped police and the 10th day of searching by Sven Sjodin, who planned to return home to California on Thursday to be with his wife, who is expecting the couple’s second child within two weeks.

My sister is my flesh and blood and she is one of my immediate concerns, but I also have another immediate concern,” Sven Sjodin said. “I know that I have a large contingent of friends who will continue to search until they find Dru.”

Blessings to Sven and his wife. I hope your WHOLE family can be together and start a wonderful new chapter in your lives.

I read the MSNBC article turbo posted above. Sven, Dru's brother, has to now return home to California, he and his wife are going to have a new baby, due in two weeks. I pray this baby will be held by his Auntie Dru at Christmas.

I hope so too Mindys! This story has really caught my attention. I can't imagine going through this. :(

Julianna said***Edited to say: I hope that monster is not just toying with LE and the family, giving false hope. I don't think the authorities would go on TV with this info unless they had some basis for believing him...*****

I wonder what he has told LE....if he is talking...WHERE is Dru?

I have been in tears and been just heartsick, watching clips of the searchers, turning over things they find out on the prairies.

I continue to hold out hope, and send up prayers that she will be found alive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How much are they using search dogs?

Helicopters?

... He said they are close to a positive outcome. But they play with words. Is their positive outcome finding her body for burial or finding her alive?

I have to think that they are really looking at a positive "alive and well" type of outcome. There is no other "positive" outcome. Lets pray for it. Really, there are alot of possibilities still available. Dru's family would appreciate the positive power of prayer right now.

This guy is not an outdoor type, he's out of shape has limited resources and has been in jail for the last twenty three years.

Most likely he had limited areas to put Dru....

Hwy 2 runs beside the river and there are multiple camp sites between Grand Forks, Foster and Crookston.

How much snow is on the ground?

How much in the snow drifts and ditches?

The river is very slow moving in spots and almost lake like between Crookston and Foster and Crookston has the Crookston Damn.

If he was unemployeed and went all the way to Grand Forks, took the time to stalk Dru then he probably had a location picked out where he was taking Dru.

Was her car parked in a covered parking garage?

How about where she lived, where the college is in relation from the mall?

Statistics say usually find the victims within a fifty mile radius so that would be between the mall to Crookston and draw a circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214