ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some link to information that Tommy was ever arrested for possession of pot? IIRC the court record showed that when he got his DUI he also got a minor in possession charge. That is a minor in possesion for alcohol, not pot. I am quite sure LE asked him where they got the alcohol. Who purchased it for them or where they bought it. Did they have a fake ID, and such.

So unless there is some link to information about the pot all the discussions of being an informant seems to be an unfair and inaccurate assumption.

JMO's

1. Mip/Mca/Mui/Minor Purch Alc 0000323735 100101 Misdemeanor B 09/12/2014

http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=2984536

Ok - what evidence is there as far as a "lack of interest"?

Not asking for public help? I think thats what drives that line of thinking.

Are there only two conclusions possible to be drawn from that observation? 1) they know who did it or 2) they don't care? Any other possibilities?

It's all a matter of personal experience and perspective... :scale:

Is there some link to information that Tommy was ever arrested for possession of pot? IIRC the court record showed that when he got his DUI he also got a minor in possession charge. That is a minor in possesion for alcohol, not pot. I am quite sure LE asked him where they got the alcohol. Who purchased it for them or where they bought it. Did they have a fake ID, and such.

So unless there is some link to information about the pot all the discussions of being an informant seems to be an unfair and inaccurate assumption.

JMO's

I've been a fan of yours since before I joined this website. I love your insight And your level-handedness.

But this, jggordo? In response, I have but one question for you. If Andrew Sadek was found deceased within a few days after his disappearance, do you think we would know anything about the marijuana charges? Do you think SEMCA would have thrown it's name into the mix? I know I'm a self-proclaimed cynic of LE, but there is no way they would have aroused suspicion onto themselves.

So the whole point of the CI theory... the whole purpose of Tom working as a CI would be to keep the marijuana OUT of the courts & the newspapers. Of course it wouldn't be in the court search.

Here are fines for marijuana in ND:
Possession of less than half an ounce is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 30 days imprisonment and a maximum fine of $1,000.*

Possession of less than half an ounce while operating a motor vehicle is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 1 year imprisonment and a maximum fine of $1,000.*

Possession of half an ounce - 1 ounce is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 1 year imprisonment and a maximum fine of $1,000.*

SIGNIFICANTLY more than a DUI. IF he had any paraphernalia,you can almost double these fines/punishments. Plus it gets even worse if you are operating a motor vehicle. That's A LOT different than a socially-acceptable DUI.

Again.. NO proof that he had marijuana in the car.

But.. since LE isn't talking, we are all left to speculation.

Oh,btw, not arguing in an argumentative and aggressive fashion, jggordo! Sorry if it seems that way. :-]

It turns out that one of my relatives knows a BEARSON family member. According to the family, there are no leads and no suspects. That is straight from the family. Technically, this might qualify as gossip but I guarantee it is 100% accurate as of two weeks ago when it was last discussed between my relative and the Bearson family member.

"No clothes in the closet. No books on the desk. No sheets on the bed."

That's what Wyatt Sharp found when he returned to the North Dakota State University campus after a late September weekend spent in his hometown of Crosby, Minn.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_26844883/ndsu-student-tommy-bearsons-death-remains-mystery

Was this the weekend of Sept 20th or the following weekend.? Curious to know which weekend he is referencing. I would find it odd if the dorm room was bare the same weekend that TB was reported missing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I posted that about a month ago. The main reason I have changed my mind has to do with not knowing the DUI had been processed at the time. I have about a hundred reasons, but I will outline the main ones here...
1) If I'm 18 years old and I get pulled over for a DUI and possession of marijuana the first thing I want off my record is the DUI. It's way more expensive, and most importantly, I would have to tell my parents about the DUI. I could just pay a fine and attend a few classes to makes the drug charge go away. Would never have to tell my parents. But just about every 18 year old in college is still on their parents car insurance so his parents would have found out about the DUI. And having to tell your parents you got a DUI would be a life-shattering event for an 18 year old. He wouldn't never agree to become a CI if the DUI wasn't removed from his record.
2) He received the normal punishment for the DUI. No break whatsoever.
3) I was (and still am) assuming he wasn't a drug dealer. To me it would be a bigger assumption to assume that he was a dealer. I have a hard time believing he just moved to town, started college, and became a dealer in the matter of 4 weeks.
4) If he were a CI the police would have known who he was dealing with. They would have found a killer by now.
5) If he were wearing a special backpack that had video or sound attached the police would already know who did it.

Those are the main ones, but what it boils down to is that I had not seen his arrest record when I posted that. Notice that every time time anyone brings up the CI theory there are like five IFs (capitalized on purpose) attached to it. When you have that many major IFs it's just too far-fetched to put much stake in. I haven't changed my opinion that drugs could have played a role, but the CI thing is just too far out there to be believable. To get there you have to skip over tons of theories that are way more probable. And as I have said before (I wasn't the first to say it) -- the most likely theory is often the most accurate theory.

Ok. I will give my opinion on this because I can't sleep.

1.) DUI VS. MARIJUANA.. Really? You'd take a marijuana conviction in which you'd possibly get jail time? The charges for marijuana are much steeper than a DUI. To Tom's parents? I'm guessing they are conservative Catholics who equate marijuana to serious drugs. In all honesty, a DUI is socially acceptable. Lots of people have gotten them. Besides, it's not like LE would give him a choice. He didn't have a choice to get the DUI taken off of his record. Besides, people saw him get arrested. There is no way the DUI can disappear without people wondering how/why.

2.) Why would he get a break on the DUI? Again, that would appear suspicious. He received the MINIMUM that is REQUIRED when you are arrested for AGGRAVATED DUI despite also having alcohol with him in the car -- which, technically, should make penalty worse. But he got the minimum that the judge could possibly give him.

You said: "He would never agree to be a CI unless the DUI was taken off of his record." You are implying that TB held all of the cards. Listen to that SEMCA video someone just posted.

3.) Who said he was a drug dealer? I didn't. The cops could make him a CI simply as a person wanting to buy marijuana. So.. "Lead me to a marijuana supplier and you won't be serving a year in jail."

Tom could have been attempting to do that. Who knows.. Maybe that's why he went to JW's house in the first place that night - someone he did not normally hang with but knew had connections to some suppliers.

4.) If he got killed while making a drug deal for LE, that makes LE responsible for the murder! It's my point that they (LE) aren't going to take responsibility for that. Obviously, if he was a CI that ended up being murdered, the supplier discovered he was wired & got rid of the listening devices so it's conceivable that LE lost his trail. Could be how TB wound up in Moorhead. Plus if LE was on their trail or they thought LE might be on the trail, suppliers probably know to cross the state border to make it harder to follow for jurisdictional purposes & complicate matters.

5.) Same response as #4.

Please look up the case of Rachel Hoffman.

I'm really not a cynical or skeptical person typically. I promise. But I'm saying this CI angle could be a real possibility. Drug deal gone bad? The only way that happens is if Tom is a CI. Otherwise, why would a dealer murder someone buying drugs from them? That's a potential "customer" for the future. I would guess the only people drug dealers kill are snitches. The rest are all clients or potential clients.

It turns out that one of my relatives knows a BEARSON family member. According to the family, there are no leads and no suspects. That is straight from the family. Technically, this might qualify as gossip but I guarantee it is 100% accurate as of two weeks ago when it was last discussed between my relative and the Bearson family member.

WOW - that is very discouraging news. I was so hopeful that LE had this in the bag. So Minnesota Mom any ideas as to why the family/friends continue to remain quite? Do you think "they" feel LE is doing their job? Is it a true case of MN nice and not rocking the boat?

Just dropped all 12 of my eggs in boiling water - "Deviled" eggs it is. I just feel I have no other options!

Ok - what evidence is there as far as a "lack of interest"?

Not asking for public help? I think thats what drives that line of thinking.

Are there only two conclusions possible to be drawn from that observation? 1) they know who did it or 2) they don't care? Any other possibilities?
3) aware they are not equipped
4) involved other agencies prior to homicide
Any other possibilities?

I believe it is a myth that LE is forthright with and keep the immediate family abreast of details about the investigations. They may give generalizations like "leads are coming in" or we "have a POI in mind" but that's it. Family and close friend relationships are the first that are looked at, we all know that. Should a POI be a close friend LE does not want to discuss that with family for fear that the family may want to take justice in their own hands or question a POI on their own, as it could destroy progress.

Also an investigation may reveal things that a family is unaware of that may harm the memory or reputation of the loved one. Unless it is pertinent in the end to the justice for the victim, there is no reason to disclose it to the family. In regard to a laptop. There are reasons for "privacy" settings and such while we are alive. Parents know full well that teenage kids do not want then reading their e-mails and private thoughts. It is more sacred than a diary, IMO. So for LE to rush to give an 18 year old (now an adult) laptop to the family may be more harmful than helpful. In the end, if and when a POI is exposed LE may have to work backward from items in that laptop. If that laptop leaves LE custody now the whole chain of custody comes into play. {BTW in that case the killer was not anywhere on any radar for the case. He got busted at a checkpoint in CA for possession of a silencer which is a felony. They got his prints and DNA then. It became a match to the triple homicide. It was happenstance he got busted, and dedicated investigators that insisted on the DNA searches.}

In a triple homicide case in San Diego it progressed much like this case. After 6 months and a suspect was arrested the search warrants were revealed, the family had to learn that they themselves, their bank records, cell phones and family dynamics had been investigated during that time. Also they found that all three were involved in heavy use of heroin. My point is during the investigation had it been possible the family was not privy to and not harmed by the investigation until it became integral to it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...dere-Ilona-Flint-(22)-San-Diego-23-Dec-2013-3

JMO's

I think this is worth revisiting at this point.
Like you said yourself jggordo....
"I believe it is a myth that LE is forthright with and keep the immediate family abreast of details about the investigations".
"an investigation may reveal things that a family is unaware of that may harm the memory or reputation of the loved one".
"also they found that all three were involved in heavy use of heroin".

You made a great point about the myth part. You also reminded us all that "evidence" of other activities aren't always laying out there for all to see, like the publication of the DUI only. No one could expect that anything else would be publicized.

JMO's

I, for one, am not assuming anything, I am speculating theories.

I guess if we were to ONLY speculate regarding KNOWN activity. We could speculate that TB gets too inebriated, and got lost near campus, and found himself in Moorhead after a long drunk walk from a party, only to be murdered (homicidal violence) because he gets too inebriated and lost. He was so enebriated that along the walk he lost his shoe and his cell phone because he was busy snapchatting. Or perhaps, his murderer needed one shoe and a cell phone. All his new college acquaintances are all "scaredy cats" that typically assume the worst when they don't know where their buddies are after a weekend night of drinking, because they've experienced the same before themselves. Oh, but someone decides to create a tribute video for him afterwards, to indicate that they know what happened and that it wasn't about alcohol at all, but about TB "tackling his strategy", and about TB "getting the gangers boyfriend". Am I missing anything?

I'm sure that some of the speculations on here are a) very scary scenarios that have possible limited chance of resolution b) have potential to cause needless or reveal unsavory thoughts/memories if chosen by listener/reader c) have potential of being no where near what actually occurred.
Personally, I would consider being murdered by the hands of another as the scariest, most unsavory thought/memory situation that could possibly exist (other than watching it happen if you are not the victim or the perp).
I don't believe that anyone here is attempting to "smear" the victim in anyway, shape, or form. That would be awful (to say the least). IMO, there is no act or even potential act on any victim's part that deserves homicidal violence. Even the consideration of some of the speculations, does not affect my opinion that TB appears to have been a very caring and loving son/brother/friend/boyfriend/cousin and very accomplished and handsome young man.
If you want to limit what you are willing to listen to, accept or consider, then you can't expect resolution at all under some circumstances. Just sayin....

Possession of MJ is such a tiny crime. Not that I agree ,but I think they have far bigger drug problems.

If he ran into people on meth, that could be super dangerous

I guess if we were to ONLY speculate regarding KNOWN activity. We could speculate that TB gets too inebriated, and got lost near campus, and found himself in Moorhead after a long drunk walk from a party, only to be murdered (homicidal violence) because he gets too inebriated and lost. He was so enebriated that along the walk he lost his shoe and his cell phone because he was busy snapchatting. Or perhaps, his murderer needed one shoe and a cell phone. All his new college acquaintances are all "scaredy cats" that typically assume the worst when they don't know where their buddies are after a weekend night of drinking, because they've experienced the same before themselves. Oh, but someone decides to create a tribute video for him afterwards, to indicate that they know what happened and that it wasn't about alcohol at all, but about TB "tackling his strategy", and about TB "getting the gangers boyfriend". Am I missing anything?

Yes, you forgot one thing: he allegedly takes the game COD so seriously that someone uses his phone to send out a spooky message including contact phone # ("we're so lost & we're gonna' die. Get somebody") in the wee hours of the morning. But it was all just about a silly online game, doncha' know.

Thank You! You are absolutely right about the IF part, and about it being a speculation only. However, I don’t believe there is any harm in investigating possibilities if it is possible to be easily dispelled. If a screenshot existed, family, friends or dorm-mate could hopefully easily attest to whether or not the backpack was a familiar backpack.
I respectfully disagree with your points. Mainly, because answering to your parents regarding a DUI would indeed be daunting, but answering to campus police, LE, and the drug task force regarding even minor amounts of marijuana within campus vicinity is yet another story. Example: Accept telling your parents about DUI ~or~ tell parents that college is no longer in the picture and that you’ve been told you are facing prison time, and over $20,000 in fines (drug task force representative openly admitted that maximum penalties are cited in these cases--- this could occur with a quite small amount of marijuana, and if the “blunts” are rolled, intention to sell can be considered). I do not believe that TB was a dealer. But it would not be that uncommon for many college students to have in their possession a few rolled “blunts” that might be discovered during the course of an arrest (such as DUI). I am not saying this happened. I am only saying the possibility could exist. The possibility could exist as well that it could be very tempting to avoid the consequences cited. Do you really believe that if a young college student was murdered during the course of an undercover drug operation, that it would be shared with family or media? Have you read about any of these cases where the task force officers lose contact with the informant during an operation, only to be found dead? Do you believe that LE and drug task force agencies have accepted any involvement openly when that has occurred? Many of those cases are unsolved.
Once again, it may be a stretch, but what is to lose if it could be dispelled?
I actually still lean the hardest towards my previously posted theory (drug buy gone bad/gang attack).

I agree with you on the theory you lean hardest towards.

I don't think there is anything wrong with talking about the CI theory. I've never said it isn't possible. Just not nearly as likely as many other theories so I don't think there is a need to focus on it.

Even a regular drug user does not carry enough marijuana on them to draw a serious charge. (Obviously this is different for a dealer.) And blunts being rolled doesn't constitute dealing.

You said yourself that you are only citing the maximum penalties (and $20,000, where did you get that? The maximum for possession is much less.), but the penalties for a first-time offender are nowhere near that. Most misdemeanors carry a maximum punishments involving large fines and some jail time, but those are in place so that people who have been convicted of more serious crimes or have many misdemeanors on their records receive more punishment.

Yes, you forgot one thing: he allegedly takes the game COD so seriously that someone uses his phone to send out a spooky message including contact phone # ("we're so lost & we're gonna' die. Get somebody") in the wee hours of the morning. But it was all just about a silly online game, doncha' know.

I've played COD myself a fair amount - that tweet had nothing to do with that particular game. The game moves way too fast for someone to take the time to set down a controller and tweet something that would be useful in the game. The 'scenarios' you're put in are fast paced and over before you'd have any actionable tweet communication occurring. Now, that kind of talk happens all the time over live in-game audio. But tweeting? It's just not a viable theory.

Or are you being sarcastic?! My sarcasm meter is on the fritz.

Can you please expound in detail on point # 2?

If you look at the first link below the chart says he should get a $750 fine and two days imprisonment for a DUI with a BAC above .16. According to the second link he blew a .18. And according to the court records he got a $750 fine and two days imprisonment. According to the court records there are also some alcohol classes he was required to attend. My point is he got exactly the punishment he was supposed to for the DUI. If he got less than that I could believe that he may have made a deal to work with police, but he didn't get any less of a punishment than outlined by the law. So there is nothing to be suspicious about.

http://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/safety/penaltiesdrinkingdriving.htm

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/l...dsu-sartell-high-school-tom-bearson/16053665/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse