ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think they should have put him in jail and called a nurse in to take his vitals and observe him constantly? I doubt that ever happens. IMO, LE did the right thing. They saw he was compromised and weren't sure what all was going on with him. He was an 18 yr old student from out of town, no adult relative to call, so they took him to a medical facility for an eval and to be monitored until he was in a condition that allowed him to go to jail.
I believe you said "It appears from the court records, he received 20 hours of community service in lieu of 2 days in jail". Now you believe he was monitored until he could go to jail?

So, which place do you think Tom went afterwards? We know it wasn't jail, that was forfeited in lieu of community service, right? Must have been to detox or just home to his dorm? Probably not psych ward, or state hospital.
If it was in Minnesota, I'd say detox, but I'm not going to guess what they did in North Dakota.

So you think they should have put him in jail and called a nurse in to take his vitals and observe him constantly? I doubt that ever happens. IMO, LE did the right thing. They saw he was compromised and weren't sure what all was going on with him. He was an 18 yr old student from out of town, no adult relative to call, so they took him to a medical facility for an eval and to be monitored until he was in a condition that allowed him to go to jail.
I believe you said "It appears from the court records, he received 20 hours of community service in lieu of 2 days in jail". So where did he get sent after this dire medical condition?

Maybe we're all tired....I know I am. Goodnight to you all, and thank you.

I will take you up on that bet.
I do not think they know anything. I don't think LE has told them anything either.

I think this is the Bearson's first experience in a murder investigation & I think they might be trusting LE a little bit too much. I would find myself a lawyer & hire my own private investigator if I were the Bearson's.

What on Earth are you implying?

Trust me. My advice is not to "pick on them." It comes after watching a friend of mine get treated very disrespectfully from LE not very far away from Fargo. Big mistakes were made because that family didn't know their rights. I'd like the Bearson's to know their rights.

Their first experience with "Murder" ?!? I don't even know how to respond to you with that comment. :( When did Homicides and "Murder" become something so common it would become " a family's first experience in this "?!? This is NOT common or something good people in our area of the US do on a daily basis. There should NEVER be a First Time to bury a life lost to the hands of a criminal. Why would you even think that way?

Re: the DUI, was he actually charged with a DUI? Who's car was he driving, because it was my understanding he didn't have a car up there.

Re: the DUI, was he actually charged with a DUI? Who's car was he driving, because it was my understanding he didn't have a car up there.
Good point SailorMoon
I don't see DUI on this, do you? Only in the media article below does it say "driving under the influence".

http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/Cas...CaseID=2984536

1. Mip/Mca/Mui/Minor Purch Alc 0000323735 100101 Misdemeanor B 09/12/2014

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_26844883/ndsu-student-tommy-bearsons-death-remains-mystery

“Then, early in the morning on Sept. 12, Bearson was arrested for driving under the influence and minor in possession, according to an NDSU police report of the incident.

He was pulled over shortly before 3 a.m. that morning in the 1300 block of 18th Street N. and blew a blood alcohol level of 0.181 percent in a breathalyzer test, according to the report. He was unable to take two of the tests the officer tried to give him because his lack of balance made the officer concerned for his safety.

In the back of the squad car, Bearson had to buckle himself to keep from sliding, and he told the officer he thought they were driving when the car was stationary. He then vomited in the hallway of Sanford Medical Center and the booking room of Cass County Jail, the officer wrote in the report.”

Often when over 18 years of age, a first time DUI offender must pay for and complete a community based substance abuse information course.

Is there some link to information that Tommy was ever arrested for possession of pot? IIRC the court record showed that when he got his DUI he also got a minor in possession charge. That is a minor in possesion for alcohol, not pot. I am quite sure LE asked him where they got the alcohol. Who purchased it for them or where they bought it. Did they have a fake ID, and such.

So unless there is some link to information about the pot all the discussions of being an informant seems to be an unfair and inaccurate assumption.

JMO's

1. Mip/Mca/Mui/Minor Purch Alc 0000323735 100101 Misdemeanor B 09/12/2014

http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=2984536

Where is this DUI?

It appears from the court records, he received 20 hours of community service in lieu of 2 days in jail. Who could they have turned him over to, to 'watch over' him and take responsibility for monitoring his condition since he didn't have any adult relatives in town? I may be the only one but I don't find it odd he was taken to a medical facility for observation due to his condition and age. Perhaps he was observed there for a few hours, then taken to jail, and then made his appearance in court at 10:30am.

Rocco, where did you get the information of TB receiving community service in lieu of jail time? I do not see that on court records.

Best post in the thread. Thank you both

I don't know you personally IBSLEUTHIN but I am willing to bet money that if someone in your family was murdered, you'd be finding out ALL OF THE DETAILS about his DUI & any other piece of information about the last month of his life you could get your hands on. That is simply what I am suggesting the Bearson's do. That they don't let their grief get in the way of finding justice as many might tend to do.

What is so crazy about that?

If your son got a DUI and it was reported that he was taken to the hospital by LE that night after his DUI, why is it so crazy to find out why he was there? BAC can be done from the jail and by police. We all know that. Why would they suspect other drugs?! That is my legitimate question. And I'm not crazy for asking it either.

Do you think we should always trust LE? Or should we "trust but verify" on our own? I'd go with the latter. It's not that crazy to suggest it either.

CNC - what are you getting at?!
I don't find those public records and I am looking for them. I don't know what you mean by a ruckus, or being butt-hurt. I'm looking for information, and it isn't having that effect on me. I enjoy the discussions, and others input.

CNC - what is your theory on why the public records relating to whether he went to the ER the night of his arrest are relevant to the discussion?

Yea - but I'm comfortable showing my flaws. Old enough not to care about online appearances!

So was he driving or not? And why I ask is this, this may explain the hospital thing, but if he was actually driving -- this doesn't matter. My kids were telling me about a party at a off campus house where there was drinking and who knows what. (AGAIN, not NDSU) but one of the partygoers passes out and guys who rent/own house say, hey, he can't be here we have to get him out of here. They literally bear type carry him back to his dorm, hit the handicapped button the door, it opens they lay him in there and split. (and no, my kids were not the ones who did the leaving!!) RA keeps hearing door buzz and gets out there to see what the heck it was, and lo and behold drunk guy in the door and the door keeps closing on him and opening. First thing they do, is call an ambulance and waa-la, that's how he ends up at hospital. But with the articles if they are true keep referring to him sliding around in the cop car, then this may not apply. But thought I would throw it out there as to how this poor drunk partygoer ended up in the hospital. Now as to Tom, was he driving or not???!!

So was he driving or not? And why I ask is this, this may explain the hospital thing, but if he was actually driving -- this doesn't matter. My kids were telling me about a party at a off campus house where there was drinking and who knows what. (AGAIN, not NDSU) but one of the partygoers passes out and guys who rent/own house say, hey, he can't be here we have to get him out of here. They literally bear type carry him back to his dorm, hit the handicapped button the door, it opens they lay him in there and split. (and no, my kids were not the ones who did the leaving!!) RA keeps hearing door buzz and gets out there to see what the heck it was, and lo and behold drunk guy in the door and the door keeps closing on him and opening. First thing they do, is call an ambulance and waa-la, that's how he ends up at hospital. But with the articles if they are true keep referring to him sliding around in the cop car, then this may not apply. But thought I would throw it out there as to how this poor drunk partygoer ended up in the hospital. Now as to Tom, was he driving or not???!!
Wow, glad these guys weren't my party buddies in my younger days :sick: The article said "Bearson was arrested for driving under the influence ", so yes, I would take that as he was driving. Someone mentioned at one time that the car belonged to a new friend (don't know if that is a rumor or a fact). Question is: where is the public record for DUI? And record of TB receiving community service in lieu of jail time (as Rocco posted)? I do not see either on court records. Asking for assistance on those points please.

Article today from WDay:
"Moorhead, MN (WDAY-TV) - Police say they are still waiting for final autopsy results after the death of NDSU student Tom Bearson."

"Moorhead Police say while the autopsy results seem to be taking a very long time, they have waited longer, and the medical examiner could be holding the results until their toxicology report is finished."

Police say they are still actively working on the case.

"They're also still looking for Bearson's missing tennis shoe and phone, which they say could contain valuable information."

http://www.wday.com/content/two-and-half-months-and-still-no-final-autopsy-results-tom-bearson

I know I saw the DUI there previously but now the link isn't working.
He did have a car there but once you get a DUI, it's impounded.

ProudPapa.. The visit to the ER.. I view that as "proof" that there is/was more to his case than a standard DUI/MIP. I view it as they wanted to get some good bloodwork to determine what drugs were in his system possibly because they were in the car as well. More to my own CI theory that you (or anyone else) has a hard time believing. Narcotics are popular among college kids these days, like Adderall and benzos and painkillers. If he had any of those in his system, he would need bloodwork. (Same with marijuana). So if he had any of these in his system, his charges would be worse. Might signify that he would agree to work as CI, IMO. If he had any narcotic, it's a felony and the police have a lot more bargaining power. These are THEORIES only. MINE only.

I read through other WS threads this week and there were other cases where theories like this are floated around. It is no disrespect to Tom. Lots of kids use Adderall to help them in school. It's just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE