ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for the public to search for any articles. When a crime is reported on the news, at the end of the report it's frequently stated "If you have any information about this crime or any other crime, you can anonymously contact Crimestoppers and you may be entitled to a reward". Ever heard of that? I've heard it many times.

His friends and family have remained silent and aren't making any effort to set up a reward fund for information. They obviously must have their reasons.

Yes, very curious tactic indeed. LE aren't making an effort to offer an anonymous tipline either, despite having stated they have no suspects, and they are not seeking a person of interest. Everyone just following suit?

Let's take the last article for instance regarding the Tom Bearson case on Dec 22 by the Grand Forks Herald. Lt. Tory Jacobson of the Moorhead Police Department asked that the citizens help by contacting them with information. That would NOT be anonymous, and Crimestoppers are not mentioned AT ALL, as noted in your February 2010 article as being available at least back then almost five years ago. Not one media article on this case has mentioned a Crimestoppers of MN website or any availability of an anonymous toll-free tipline. Yes, I have heard that before, but not in this case, NOT ONCE.
LE in cooperation with Crimestoppers, does NOT require family or friends to set up a reward fund for an anonymous tipline, or to remind citizens of the availability. Asking citizens to call the Moorhead Police Department with information is exactly the opposite of anonymous, which is exactly what started this dialogue from my previous post. As suggested by experts "Crime Stoppers must remain autonomous from law enforcement agencies to retain privacy" and, “It’s not the amount of money out there that encourages someone to make tip. It’s the ability to leave (an) anonymous tip, and not have a squad in front of their house,” as noted in article:

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.c...ase-rewards-useful-others-can-create-problems

Anyone can call in information to a Police Dept. and they do NOT have to leave their name. The dispatcher will ask for their name but they can say they prefer not to give their name, and that's respected. Do PDs take anonymous tips as seriously as identified callers? Probably not, but that's not to say callers can't remain anonymous and the information won't be looked into. Familys/friends can also set up reward funds for information leading to the arrest of the person responsible for a crime, they can ask for donations for the reward fund, and they can set the terms. TB's family hasn't done that. 'Why?' is their business.

I stated up thread that I think setting up a reward fund is a good idea at this point and that's what I would do if TB was my family member or friend but his family apparently doesn't want to do that---for whatever reason. So, it might be time to let that idea go.

Yes, very curious tactic indeed. LE aren't making an effort to offer an anonymous tipline either, despite having stated they have no suspects, and they are not seeking a person of interest. Everyone just following suit?

Like I said in my previous post---you do NOT have to leave your name when calling in a tip or information to the PD.

Can you clarify what you are talking about here? These types of suggestive, ambiguous posts are very confusing.

Good question. I also have no idea what that post is about so obviously you're not the only one.

Anyone can call in information to a Police Dept. and they do NOT have to leave their name. The dispatcher will ask for their name but they can say they prefer not to give their name, and that's respected. Do PDs take anonymous tips as seriously as identified callers? Probably not, but that's not to say callers can't remain anonymous and the information won't be looked into. Familys/friends can also set up reward funds for information leading to the arrest of the person responsible for a crime, they can ask for donations for the reward fund, and they can set the terms. TB's family hasn't done that. 'Why?' is their business.

I stated up thread that I think setting up a reward fund is a good idea at this point and that's what I would do if TB was my family member or friend but his family apparently doesn't want to do that---for whatever reason. So, it might be time to let that idea go.

Oh ok I get it, so you actually think that the link that you provided in your previous post:

“Moorhead police hope this will help the department get more tips and solve more crimes”
http://legacy.wday.com/event/article/id/30289/

Is...actually just a crock, right? Gimmick?

$1,000 in this case at this point has a definite feel of uselessness to me.

Someone that knows something and hasn't brought it forward at this point, I'm thinking has a million dollar reason not to. $1,000 ain't gonna loosen up the jaw hinges.

Having said that - And As I've typed before - if I'm the family I'd have been pushing for this from the start just because I'd reach for any possible assistance no matter how desperate it may appear. The fact they don't seem to be should be telling us something. Exactly what, remains to be seen.

Someone that knows something and hasn't brought it forward at this point, I'm thinking has a million dollar reason not to. $1,000 ain't gonna loosen up the jaw hinges.

Having said that - And As I've typed before - if I'm the family I'd have been pushing for this from the start just because I'd reach for any possible assistance no matter how desperate it may appear. The fact they don't seem to be should be telling us something. Exactly what, remains to be seen.
Yep, and lets hope what remains to be seen with that DOES NOT match what we are being informed via media from LE "not seeking a person of interest" and "no suspects".

$1,000 in this case at this point has a definite feel of uselessness to me. Someone that knows something and hasn't brought it forward at this point, I'm thinking has a million dollar reason not to. $1,000 ain't gonna loosen up the jaw hinges.

I would have to agree PP, however, it is also better than no attempt at all. I believe the draw is in the offer of guaranteed anonymity.

I find it offensive that a friend of only the last couple years is touting himself as bestest friend ever to a sickening degree.

What are you referring to here? Please explain your post.

We fish because we might catch a fish or two, or three, right? No guarantee, but worth the try. Guarantee you'll catch none not fishing at all. Not that expensive to try....one word has been proven to have the potential to make a difference.

First of all, I wanted to thank Rocco and Proudpapa for their compliments on my previous post. I appreciate it very much!

This case is quite unique in that there are many "unknowns" to the public at this time. Some of the unknowns I previously mentioned in my earlier post (i.e. DNA testing, items sent for testing, potential weapon, if any, etc.) but there are a few more I'd like to point out that I think might give some color around why some of TB's family and friends may not be reacting the way we might expect. It might not, too, but it's worth thinking about.

We don't know what the family has been told about the circumstances surrounding TB's death. More than likely they know what sort of injuries he suffered and most likely have a general idea about what happened as far as cause of death (i.e. his injuries are consistent with XXXX, for example). We can deduce that TB's family has been told more than the general public - and whatever they've been told, they've held it close to the vest. I don't think it's fair to judge TB's family for the decisions they've been making regarding what they have and have not done - until any one of us has been in that situation, it is hard to know how we would react.

And the major reason I say that is this: we have heard ZERO from the media about search warrants.

To start off, a little bit of education about search warrants. Search warrants are issued by a judge. They are a court document. To obtain a search warrant, there is a very specific process. There is an actual "application," which includes a Statement of Probable Cause (SoPC) (meaning, the reason why the search should be done) as well as all items subject to the search. The "all items" section is very specific - but also incredibly long. It will include everything and anything that could potentially contain information pertaining to the issue in the SoPC. This is because if the police conduct a search, they are limited to the items that are either a) on the search warrant or b) in plain sight.

For example, say that a police search for solicitation includes search of the computer but not a desk. A police officer sees the computer on a desk. He opens up the drawer and digs through it, and finds a baggie of meth. Because the meth was in the drawer, under some files, it was not in plain sight. AND because the desk was not listed on the search warrant as an item to be examined, the contents of the drawer (meth) would also not be subject to the search. So despite having found these drugs, the police officer won't be able to use the location of these drugs against the suspect, because they were found inappropriately. So that's why search warrants can be forever long in cases where the police aren't 100% sure where they need to look to find something.

Secondly, in order to issue a search warrant, the judge needs to agree that the SoPC is proven by a preponderance of the evidence/probable cause. That means more likely than not. It's not the same standard as reasonable doubt. Sometimes a judge will not issue a search warrant because the SoPC is not sufficient.

And thirdly - the issue about search warrants being a court document. In some states, there are statutes explicitly stating that a search warrant is a public record. This means that anyone can go in and request a copy of the search warrant and they can see that. Search warrants can also be requested to be sealed, meaning that no one from the public can see them until a certain time (or ever).

So now, I get to the point. Once a search warrant is executed, the search warrant will list all the items that were inventoried/seized and/or examined. While this most likely will not include the explicit data or information found on computers and/or cell phones (like texts, etc), it might. Or the SoPC may include information that was obtained from a cell phone and/or computer. We don't know what was searched in this case and we don't know what sort of SoPC was on a search warrant (at a minimum, I would expect a search warrant for the cell phones used to contact TB as well as TB's own phone unless they were handed over willingly, and I would also expect a search of the places he was last seen, again, unless allowed to search willingly).

The key takeaway: a search warrant may include information that is crucial to the case but not yet ready to be made public knowledge. OR a search warrant may contain information that the family views as embarrassing or tarnishes the memory of the deceased, so they are choosing not to call attention to it. Aside from the missing shoe and cell phone, we don't know what was found with TB's body and we don't know what, if anything, was found any place else that may have been searched.

I would be interested to know if the Fargo PD executed any search warrants and where - same for Moorhead PD. Just because they haven't said anything about them yet doesn't mean they haven't been completed.

And a side note: cell phone companies can be notoriously slow when it comes to sending back data requested from search warrants unless the person is in imminent danger. We don't know at this point if anything has been received from any cell phone provider or if they are taking a long time.

I hope that helps or at least gets people thinking about other things that might be going on here. Since we've got dead air on this case, I think it is almost more important to focus on what we don't know and why we don't know it.

..and of course, everything is my own opinion.

Great post again trpream. I agree wholeheartedly as to your comment about not judging the family. I'd just add that I dont feel it's fair to judge LE either, given the lack of facts. I guess it may be "ok" to speculate some but we just need to keep in mind that we really, really don't know much. To assume LE isn't doing what is right or that the family is going about this wrong is where I get riled up.

You've provided some nice factual texture here and I appreciate your input. I fervently hope someone with your approach is running the investigation.

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.c...ase-rewards-useful-others-can-create-problems
“Abrams stresses that Crime Stoppers must remain autonomous from law enforcement agencies to retain privacy”.

“The tips can never be breached in court,” Abrams said. “Time and time again they can be subpoenaed and they’ll get squashed, but it’s not the same if that tip goes straight to a police department. Without anonymity we have no value in a community.”

I think we can all agree that the processes used by law enforcement and the judicial system are time intensive, and methodical, and that valid reasons exist for those processes. Many other factors can affect those processes also such as case load levels, staff availability, experience, integrity, etc., etc... It is not a perfect science.
Solving cases and attaining a good solid resolution can take time, and often years. Sometimes good old fashion luck occurs, and diligence pays off.
When everyone involved is doing all they can considering all factors, and can at least consider suggestions as well.....chances increase of reaching resolution.
Judging others and offering constructive advice are two different animals.

Another area college student death explained away. Dec. 11, 2014. From the same college Tommy's friend came from to help search. I believe PF was the one who ended up with Tommy's chain that he was pictured with. This link is from his FB page.

"We have new information tonight surrounding the death of a Bemidji State University student.
Twenty-year ol d Sandra Lommen of Bloomington, died in Bemidji Wednesay from apparent hypothermia. It appears to be a case of too much to drink and a wrong turn.
Police say Sandra Lommen was walking home from a nearby house party early Wednesday morning, when she made a wrong turn down this wooded path, instead of back to her BSU dorm.
Lommen apparently wound up falling into this creek, before walking a bit further and lying down in the snow."

JMO's

http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/...rrounding-Death-of-BSU-Student-285523551.html

Calling the police dept is not anonymous. They have your number instantly.

Calling the police dept is not anonymous. They have your number instantly.

With respect to you, not if you have a prepaid phone.

Long ago with the land line yes, but here in the middle of the frozen wasteland of America, if you have a prepaid phone they could trace the number but there is no requirement to register your legal name to the number.

I see this as both good and bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members