Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17245260

(snip)
Search teams had returned for lunch early Wednesday afternoon and were waiting for a team with several cadaver dogs to join them, but it never returned. That's when investigators learned that the dogs had located human remains during their search.

http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/2493/249366/24936643.jpghttp://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/2493/249366/24936643.jpg
This is the third major search in the last month that police have conducted in relation to the Susan Powell case.

"Several of the dogs indicated positively several times that it is human remains," West Valley Police Lt. Bill Merritt said. "These dogs are able to distinguish the difference between human and animal remains. They don't pay attention to animal remains. They're not interested in them whatsoever."

You may want to read a few pages earlier in the thread because I don't know their exact verbage but the locals in Utah were saying it was the ONLY direction he could have gone and that some of the areas at that campsite would get no snow at ALL.

Those are high desert elevations, and they do get snow.

There was snow out there that night, but not a lot. It wouldn't be the easiest driving, on unplowed roads, but there's also no one else to run into you.

Between his home and Topaz Mountain, if you know the way, you only have unpaved road the last 4-5 miles.

Just bouncing off of your post...

Is it possible he lied about where they were camping? Maybe he didn't need to drive 24-28 miles at all... there was a snowstorm that night, right? So I'd think car tracks and footprints would get covered quickly... maybe?

Or ... he took a 'scenic route' to their camping trip. The boys might be asleep, he makes a dumping pitstop and then continues on his way. But even if they were awake, "Just stay in the car boys. I have to shift some stuff around in the trunk." It's dark, they can't see what he's doing behind the car, lid stays up while he dumps... (Presuming it's a car and not an SUV.)

The car was a minivan. About the same thing...open area in back, kids in carseats (hopefully).

Topaz Mountain area is *further* than Simpson Springs (where he said he went)...so yeah, he'd have driven a few miles further.

Also, they've been saying 'remains'. Didn't an article state they brought the dogs over to confirm that they were human bones? Which to me means no skull. So if it was just a few human bones, it may be possible she wasn't dumped where the bones were found and that those bones were dragged there by scavengers.

Shallow grave, apparently undisturbed. Five dogs individually indicated human remains, so they did minor excavations to uncover the grave -- and found human bones. "Bones" does not mean a skull is missing. The skull is a bone, too ;)

They've not said anything about "scattered remains". I'm betting that we're dealing with a complete skeleton.

The car was a minivan. About the same thing...open area in back, kids in carseats (hopefully).

Topaz Mountain area is *further* than Simpson Springs (where he said he went)...so yeah, he'd have driven a few miles further.

Shallow grave, apparently undisturbed. Five dogs individually indicated human remains, so they did minor excavations to uncover the grave -- and found human bones. "Bones" does not mean a skull is missing. The skull is a bone, too ;)

They've not said anything about "scattered remains". I'm betting that we're dealing with a complete skeleton.

When you think back to the beginning, when Susan went missing, and the thread on the Trib site, it has been a long journey for many who were concerned for Susan. All of the thoughts and posts and it comes down to your sentence,' I'm betting that we're dealing with a complete skeleton'. Mixed feelings here tonight, we primarily want Peace for the Cox family and justice for Susan.

I keep going back to the crystals statement from the son. When the Ely search started I read about the mines in Ely. In my mind I kept thinking there was a crystal somewhere in the Powell home. Next thing you know, the search warrant and they gathered a lot more info from the computers, journals and whatever else they found. I felt it was a crystal since the son said what he did to LE. But heck who knows. Not to be strange but here's my post because this was when I remembered Topaz Mountain. Their natural products, from the mines, would be distinctive & soil would be very telling.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7042512&postcount=72"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Possible lead in Susan Powell case, 8-18-11[/ame]

TheEricJensen Eric Jensen
It's a live truck parking lot outside the house where Josh Powell lives after human remains were found in Utah. yfrog.com/h2xjqlij
45 minutes ago
Nice way to endear yourself to the neighbors. I bet they would love to see the Powells leave forever.

does this spot fit with the 200 miles he put on a vehicle?

I hope Josh is being watched very, VERY closely. Can't hurt that there are people there with cameras already, waiting for the cops to show up and arrest him.

Nothing out of Josh's mouth I see, yea I bet the neighbors are loving him, not !

My question is this. I read the other day about the search and that this area had been of interest to police for some time. So, why didn't they search it before now?

I'm just reading this now...while we do have to wait for the ME to get out there tomorrow, it's always been my impression that female and male pelvic bones are so different to the eye. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a good idea already if this is male or female, unless there are bones missing.

Who knows, this may fit in with the SP helping out JP with the body moving scenerio - could be JP left her for SP to move to a more secluded area or met him there. If the kids are sleeping then they might not notice SP being there.

If nothing else - someone's family will have closure, and that's a good thing.

From what I saw on the video the place looks barren, no trees??? no woods?
out in the open? just shrubs?

When you think back to the beginning, when Susan went missing, and the thread on the Trib site, it has been a long journey for many who were concerned for Susan. All of the thoughts and posts and it comes down to your sentence,' I'm betting that we're dealing with a complete skeleton'. Mixed feelings here tonight, we primarily want Peace for the Cox family and justice for Susan.

True.

I didn't mean to put it so bluntly, but from putting everything together that's been reported, I think it's intact remains. Possibly due to being shrinkwrapped before burial?

Mr Cox thinks the ground would have been too frozen. Not necessarily, in early December. There hadn't been enough precipitation to cause deep freezing. Bare, dry ground just gets really really cold. And there wasn't a snowstorm, either, that day.

Here's the weather history for Dec 7th, 2009: Click here (Weather Underground).

Notice that the total snow depth at Dugway was .4 inch, with 1.4 inch month to date. No/little precip. The wind chill, however, would have been very nasty. Could cause a bad case of chapped hands.

From what I saw on the video the place looks barren, no trees??? no woods? out in the open? just shrubs?

That's what the high desert looks like. Lots of sagebrush. Miles and miles of it, mind-numbingly the same for even more miles and miles. Makes it hard to find things, since one sagebrush can hide a body.

Saw the news on the front page of AOL! I really hope Susan's family gets answers finally. After viewing the pics of that area I thank God for those dogs. Very rough terrain to try and find what's left of a body after all of this time. So sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member