New Search at North Dumfries Farm -- September 9, 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding JET FUEL ... it is not a "hazardous material" ... pretty tame stuff actually , it is in the same fuel family as kerosene , diesel , and home heating fuel . Not all that easy to light with a match (compared to gasoline)

as far as a BARREL of ACID on the barn premises , that certainly would be in the hazmat category

There could also be old cans of farm chemicals (for crop spraying) or old containers of insecticide (insect control in barns) (rodent poison) .... those would definitely be hazmat.

It is surprising how many old barns and farm buildings contain the stuff .... it was expensive to purchase and part containers were never thrown out. Years later the cans rust and leak the poison out.

In recent years programs have been implemented to gather old containers from farms and dispose of it .... which ironically is done in high temperature incinerators.

BUDTsJCIIAAl-M8.jpg

Mike McCulloch
‏@MikeCBC
North Dumfries fire crew is prepared alongside this blue testing tent. #kw pic.twitter.com/efzMvDSBEG

I don't know, now I'm second guessing whether they would really go through all this if it was just a few barrels of fertilizer or pesticide. I really have no idea.

More than 100 police officers, including members of a specialized Ontario Provincial Police response team, were working at accused killer Dellen Millard's Waterloo Region farm Friday.

One officer on the site told CBC News that investigators have discovered barrels with labels saying they contained kerosene and airplane fuel.

More at:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...9/13/cambridge-millard-farm-search-day-5.html

I suspect they may have.

The former owner was there yesterday. I saw a clip of him stating that no machinery was left at the farm but no mention of chemicals. I think it was on CTV. I will try to find the link to back this up.

Here it is..correction...he states "only a few pieces of equipment were left behind"

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1002451

I just watched this clip, Mr. Nicholson that spoke on camera was the realestate person that sold the property not the former owner. Of course he would also recall what was left in the barn but was just clarifying who spoke on camera.:moo:

More than 100 police officers, including members of a specialized Ontario Provincial Police response team, were working at accused killer Dellen Millard's Waterloo Region farm Friday.

One officer on the site told CBC News that investigators have discovered barrels with labels saying they contained kerosene and airplane fuel.

More at:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...9/13/cambridge-millard-farm-search-day-5.html
Okay, now I am totally a city chick, and even I know airplane fuel is not commonly found on farms. ;) So why the heck was it stored in the barn? Or, are these discarded, empty barrels?

Could kerosene or jet fuel be used in that incinerator without damaging it?

Removing heavy metal equipment sometimes requires cutting torches to remove anchor bolts etc .... .... also removing lumber can produce sparks if saw blade hits a nail etc .... so in a barn full of flammable straw it would make sense to have the FD present .... but many FD personnel are also trained for hazmat handling and likely that is what they are there for (old farm chemicals and sprays)

Okay, now I am totally a city chick, and even I know airplane fuel is not commonly found on farms. ;) So why the heck was it stored in the barn? Or, are these discarded, empty barrels?

I think it was for the incinerator. I seem to remember something about the purchase of the incinerator and the seller was questioned about the type of fuel that could be used with it. I'll look for a link.

Removing heavy metal equipment sometimes requires cutting torches to remove anchor bolts etc .... .... also removing lumber can produce sparks if saw blade hits a nail etc .... so in a barn full of flammable straw it would make sense to have the FD present .... but many FD personnel are also trained for hazmat handling and likely that is what they are there for (old farm chemicals and sprays)

I am not so sure you would need 100 cops, 3 hazmet trucks, an ambulance firefighters, firetrucks and forensics just to deal with some old farm chemicals and sprays. That would be overkill.

54 barrels of materials...WOW!

oops, here's the link
Mike McCulloch ‏@MikeCBC 2m

Sergeant Meshach Parsons with OPP's UCRT team says they are examining 54 barrels for their contents #kw pic.twitter.com/HE0Co4SmwU

Liz Monteiro ‏@MonteiroRecord 2m
OPP Sgt. Meshach Parsons says officers looking at 45 barrels and chemicals inside them.

Liz Monteiro ‏@MonteiroRecord 41s
Some barrels are metal, plastic. Some 45 gallons, others 5 gallons, Parsons says.

Liz Monteiro ‏@MonteiroRecord 42s
OPP along with North Dumfries fire will handle drums and test what's in it.

I suspect any left over barrels from the old millard hanger may have just been stored at the barn. Again, there is a runway acros the street as well. While this would be 'jetA' fuel, it is useless in a combustion engine exept for some diesel engines. AVGAS however can be burned in an internal combustion engine that does not use pollution control. I cant see any use for jet fuel on a farm except storage. The barrels may however contain something other than what the label says

Liz Monteiro ‏@MonteiroRecord 39s
11 OPP officers on scene. Firefighters tracked from tent while in barn. Time they went in, how much oxygen left.

Liz Monteiro ‏@MonteiroRecord 26s
Testing of barrels will take all day, says Parsons

Liz Monteiro ‏@MonteiroRecord 30s
OPP notified Thursday to come to #DellenMillard farm today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme