GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having said that I have been suffering lately from some chronic pain, but I love you all! :loveyou:

I know this was OT and Sorry to make this personal. :blushing:

ETA: I keep trying to keep up and I love the discussion. Thanks so much!

Having said that I have been suffering lately from some chronic pain, but I love you all! :loveyou:

I know this was OT and Sorry to make this personal. :blushing:

ETA: I keep trying to keep up and I love the discussion. Thanks so much!

OT....i hope you feel better soon.....hopefully we'll see the sun soon in this neck of the woods...maybe that'll help!

Concerning who wrote the letter according to LE: (about 46 seconds in)
If you click on and play the video at this linked news page you will see where it is actually said in a press conference '. . .at this juncture we believe it was written by Abby and was sent to her mother. . .'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/07/abigail-hernandez-missing_n_4404021.html

So whether they may be right or wrong that's what the official word was at that time and not just some reporter's interpretation.
(Not being argumentative but I know the question has come up before asking what has officially actually been said about it so I thought this might be helpful.)

I also note that elsewhere I have read of people asking questions about what appears to be a backpack in the school video pic of Abby but say it is not mentioned in her missing descriptions. The FBI site, for instance, only shows the purse and a necklace.
FBI - homepage

I have read where some people are asking if it is possible the backpack (if that is what shows in the school video) was already found. I have no idea about that one way or the other but it is an interesting question.

So I have 2 questions in my mind:
1. Who was she 'texting away' to in those final minutes before she disappeared? I mean texting a heart is obviously not going to take so much typing that one would describe it as 'texting away'. Was she texting lots to her boyfriend or to someone else? I mean the news articles make it sound as if that heart was all she sent but I wonder. And I wonder if she was texting someone else too.

Bolded by me:
'. . . "He said she was texting away on her phone as she was walking toward her home," the elder Campbell said.. . .'
http://www.newhampshire.com/article/20131016/NEWS07/131019559/0/news0401

2. Was it normal for her to send just a heart to someone as a text.
It might be normal for someone else but was it normal for HER to do it?
Edited to add: I also wonder if a teen girl is usually ok with sending only a one symbol message to the love interest in her life? My experience from long ago and also from young relatives has been that they like to get wordy with their love.

'. . . At 2:52 p.m., as he was riding the bus home, Hernandez texted her boyfriend a heart, James Campbell said."That was the last he heard from her," . . .'

The txting information can be found in the FBI timeline that was released.

This timeline is taken from the official FBI Timeline document

10/9/13 – Abigail Confirmed at School

2:29pm: Abigail seen leaving school wearing black leggings, black boots, dark colored striped sweater, walking through Field Hockey field, down Eagles Way to power line trail

2:30pm – 2:35pm: Abigail seen walking on powerline trail from Eagles Way

2:23pm – 2:53pm: A series of text messages exchanged between Abigail and a friend/classmate

2:53pm: Last text sent by Abigail to same friend

3:07pm: Last known contact between the cell phone and the cellular network was on West Side of Cranmore Mountain

2:40pm – 3:30pm: Multiple UNCONFIRMED reports of an individual matching Abigail’s description walking on North-South Highway between rotary and Settler’s Green entry

http://www.bringabbyhome.com/abbys-timeline/
BBM - as you can see it says at 2.53pm 'same friend' (Which would be the <3 MOO) So to me that says the only person she was texting as she was walking was JCjnr. MOO

Ok, my next thought about those texts is: I wonder if they were more gooey than usual, more loving. I am looking for a sort of change for the better from what is usual in her texts.

Only someone who had seen those texts would know and even if there were such a change it would only be a flag and not proof of anything and yet I still wonder.

I also wonder if they spent more time or more texts than usual texting that day.

I sure hope she has quietly been able to contact her father, mother or other family. That would be a very much better result.

(I was tempted to include a thought about the speculations of the letter possibly being typed but then I decided that speculating about other speculations might prove counter productive.)

Since we discussed the timeline I thought providing a fresh link might help newer readers:

Timeline link for FBI timeline as reported in MSM
http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/picture-timeline.pdf

'. . . Abigail's previous after-school travel pattern confirmed via interviews
and security camera videos along route between Kennett High School and residence . . .'

'security camera videos' (plural) ? How much of that route could really be covered by those? Was that drive video someone posted earlier that same route? If so I would not think there was really much security camera video to go by.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/10/16/fbi-to-release-new-information-in-search-for-missing-nh-girl/

Map link
http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/public-map1.pdf

Since we discussed the timeline I thought providing a fresh link might help newer readers:

Timeline link for FBI timeline as reported in MSM

'. . . Abigail's previous after-school travel pattern confirmed via interviews
and security camera videos along route between Kennett High School and residence . . .'

'security camera videos' (plural) ? How much of that route could really be covered by those? Was that drive video someone posted earlier that same route? If so I would not think there was really much security camera video to go by.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/10/16/fbi-to-release-new-information-in-search-for-missing-nh-girl/

Map link
http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/public-map1.pdf

BBM

There is some inaccurate information in one of the articles from very early in the investigation (bolded by me) linked above. There was no text sent at 3:07pm from Abby's phone; that was a ping from somewhere west of Cranmore Mountain. Her last text was sent at 2:53pm to a classmate and it was a heart.

Also, Abby wasn't seen on the Power Line Trail. She was seen, from Eagle's Way, turning on to the trail. Unfortunately, no one has come forward saying they saw her on the trail to indicate that she walked along it all the way to Eastman.

Just clarifying for anyone who's not up to speed.

Yes, it is hard to get things figured out with all the different details changing as time goes on. If you looked at the link to the timeline pdf you should have noticed it only said '3:07 pm last known contact between the cell phone and the cellular network was on the west side of Cranmore mountain.' Don't think it said anything about it being a text though. I think the article itself was older than the timeline which appears to have been updated.

If you have the more current MSM link with all that info please post it for everyone. I was just trying to avoid using FB pages and that MSM link was one of the first that popped up on my search engine.

The timeline authorities released, meanwhile, laid out Hernandez's movements a week ago. At 2:53 p.m. she sent her last text messages. At 3:07 p.m. the phone made its last known contact with the cellular network.

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index.php/newsx/local-news/109539-hernandez-useme

This article is from 10/17/13. Early on LE knew that there was no text from Abby's cell at 3:07pm, as indicated in the linked article and in the FBI timeline. It's funny how some journalists (in the CBS article) will get it wrong even when the information is right there in front of them.

Here's another article from 12/07/13...

The last signal her phone sent was at 3:07 p.m. from the west side of Cranmore Mountain Resort, 2.5 miles from her home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/07/abigail-hernandez-missing_n_4404021.html

We may actually have a Spring here in New England. Let's get Abby home to enjoy it!

So I have 2 questions in my mind:
1. Who was she 'texting away' to in those final minutes before she disappeared? I mean texting a heart is obviously not going to take so much typing that one would describe it as 'texting away'. Was she texting lots to her boyfriend or to someone else? I mean the news articles make it sound as if that heart was all she sent but I wonder. And I wonder if she was texting someone else too.

Bolded by me:
'. . . "He said she was texting away on her phone as she was walking toward her home," the elder Campbell said.. . .'

2. Was it normal for her to send just a heart to someone as a text.
It might be normal for someone else but was it normal for HER to do it?
Edited to add: I also wonder if a teen girl is usually ok with sending only a one symbol message to the love interest in her life? My experience from long ago and also from young relatives has been that they like to get wordy with their love.

'. . . At 2:52 p.m., as he was riding the bus home, Hernandez texted her boyfriend a heart, James Campbell said."That was the last he heard from her," . . .'

Yes, it was normal for Abby. She had been texting her bf before disappearing. The messages weren't just the "heart". They exchanged several texts that afternoon. But to answer your question....Yes, it was normal for abby to send just a symbol after several other texts. -Amanda Smith

Yes, it was normal for Abby. She had been texting her bf before disappearing. The messages weren't just the "heart". They exchanged several texts that afternoon. But to answer your question....Yes, it was normal for abby to send just a symbol after several other texts. -Amanda Smith
Thank you for the info. Do you know if the tone of those texts was more friendly than usual? It is hard to explain what I am looking for so for now that is the best way I can phrase it.

I've been following this case sporadically all along, catching up from time to time. I don't join in because I don't have much to offer. I think about her at odd times, sometimes in the middle of the night. It haunts me, because of the mysteriousness of it. But it also irritates me, because I always wonder if enough is being done. This is not rocket science. Unless she was just grabbed suddenly, I believe someone knows something, maybe just some small thing that they may not even know is significant. Something seems wrong to me about the way it has been investigated. The net seems to not have been spread broadly enough, IMO. The comb is not fine enough, perhaps. This case frustrates me. I don't get a positive feeling about the outcome either. And I so often wonder if it will ever be solved. Well I do have one thing to offer, about the phone. She had an iPhone. I've never had one. I have an Android phone. So I'm not positive that an iPhone works the same, but I'd think it would. Maybe someone with an iPhone would know. Anyway, with Android, the phone originally has to be booted up, just like any computer, which is what it really is. After that you turn off the screen (or it times out) and the phone sleeps when you're not using it. But it's always booted up and ready, and it pings the system to let the system know which tower to route incoming calls to. However, you can if you want to, "unboot" it. On most Android it's done by holding down the power button for a long time. A warning comes on telling you you won't be able to take or make calls, not even to emergency numbers "Are you sure you want to do this?" it asks. Just before it powers down it will ping to let the cellular system know that it is going offline. Once done, the phone will not ping again nor have any more contact with the system whatsoever. It's dead until it's rebooted. That's all it takes to make it go dark. I don't know if iPhones work that way but I'd think so. I have no further theory regarding that; take it as you may.

My opinions only as always.

Good to see you again, Casefollower. Your point about the phone is a good one, IMO. The phone could very well have been simply powered down at 3:07 never to be turned on again. There is also a chance it could have been destroyed in some way. Throwing it in water wouldn't have necessarily stopped it from pinging (at least immediately) so I'm thinking it wasn't disposed of in that manner. It's been worded that at 3:07 Abby's phone communicated with the cell tower.

Do you know...Are there different types of pings? Is there a specific "unbooting" (or powering down) ping? I don't know. We've been thinking that the ping in question was a "Hello, tower! I'm just checking in" type of ping. There's never been any indication from LE about the type of communication Abby's phone had with the cell tower (though we know it wasn't a text).

There is so much about this case which we don't know. The "mysteriousness of it", as you say is beyond frustrating. Seven months in and we've got nothing.

The lack of details sure isn't bringing Abby home! Isn't putting pressure on an abductor, if there is one. Isn't encouraging to Abby that anyone cares. Maybe she access to a computer or phone to see online, and maybe not. If she sees a TV and nothing about her on it, what's she to think? This entire case has never made sense, and still doesn't! A child is out there. Whether in need of help, need of finding, need of recovery...Abby needs to be found.

It's mindbogging to me that in this day and time, people still just disappear! HOW? I just don't understand so much of life. When I think of how many people disappear daily, and figure how many that is in a year's time...where the heck are they? If they were spread out from head to toe, could reach from one coast of the US to the other! And yet, they remain missing! How can that much land never have anyone else ever on it??? HOW? Do I walk every inch of my land daily? NO! But it is walked by someone at least once a month. Is there really and truly all this land out there that only the perp has been on? And no one else ever goes on again? If we know so much about human trafficking, why aren't these monsters caught?? WHO is spearheading the business? Who is making the money?? I don't see how it's this hard to find traffickers and missing people in the USA, but we can go to unknown foreign countries and find people! IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!

Just my frustrated opinion!

Good to see you again, Casefollower. Your point about the phone is a good one, IMO. The phone could very well have been simply powered down at 3:07 never to be turned on again. There is also a chance it could have been destroyed in some way. Throwing it in water wouldn't have necessarily stopped it from pinging (at least immediately) so I'm thinking it wasn't disposed of in that manner. It's been worded that at 3:07 Abby's phone communicated with the cell tower.

Do you know...Are there different types of pings? Is there a specific "unbooting" (or powering down) ping? I don't know. We've been thinking that the ping in question was a "Hello, tower! I'm just checking in" type of ping. There's never been any indication from LE about the type of communication Abby's phone had with the cell tower (though we know it wasn't a text).

There is so much about this case which we don't know. The "mysteriousness of it", as you say is beyond frustrating. Seven months in and we've got nothing.

These are good points about the phone and I think Casefollower is correct - it needs to be purposely powered down to not ping - or else destroyed. Kieran Ramsey explained that in an interview Putting it in water or destroying it. 2:07 - 2:35 in the video.
http://www.myfoxboston.com/video?clipId=9504820&autostart=true

But MJ you raise a good point - does the phone actually say "good bye"? I don't know. I kind of doubt it because it would seem to me to be redundant in that it already said where it was last. And the tower won't signal it unless there is a call. It will ping the last location, then triangulate and then got to VM IMO. If the phone has not updated the system by sending out a ping then the system has no where to send a call.

IMO the phone is in the water somewhere. I know they searched Pudding pond and up on Artist Falls Rd but I do not know about the brooks. IMO they stopped somewhere briefly to dump the phone and possibly change clothes? All the phone needs to be destroyed and not be found is swamp near the road.

Even a smashed phone still has the data in it and is often retrievable. IMO a knowledgeable person would know this and to keep that phone would be evidence you don't want. Whether she was forced or willing she was with a knowledgeable person. Quite so.

MOO

Putting the phone in water would not damage the circuitry, unless it was salt water. Fresh water does not conduct well at low voltages. The display might be permanently damaged, or perhaps not. If it were dried properly it might even work again. In any case, it would certainly be easy to recover the data. ICs are waterproof and boards are coated to prohibit moisture. Batteries are sealed in pouches. The most vulnerable part is the display. So.. If I were the perp (and had a brain) I would power it down and keep it with me, that way I could be free from worrying about anyone else getting it. I'd know where it was.

All my own opinion.

New reward info (also new photo, the last one taken of Abby, 3 hours before she disappeared)
http://www.bringabbyhome.com/reward-information/

7 months :( I honestly didn't think we would get this far, none the wiser about what happened to Abby. Where are you girly? What happened to you? I still think about Abby every single day, still hope she will be found safe. BRING ABBY HOME!

I applaud BAH and the directness of the latest letter (with ZH's reward). I think they addressed a couple of questions the public still has; ones that we have been asking incessantly here. Let's hope this is the push someone needs to do the right thing here. The picture of her, from a few hours before she went missing, is so cute. There is no way she just up and left.

IMO

Find your way home, Abby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads