GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes non-family approved Facebook pages not only allow posts that cause the family more pain, but also scam for donations, etc. Very sad when that happens. Right now I know of at least 2 cases where this is an issue and families are battling a losing fight to get those unauthorized pages removed. :moo::moo::moo:

Oh, I agree. Awful stuff! Who in their right mind does that?!?!

Heck, no. We wouldn't want just one news outlet to cover the story, would we? Social media support sites only become harmful when people post irresponsibly. It's up to the admin to control that, and to ensure that the group stays focused. JMO

Thank you Bessie!!!!! And you are right, it is only harmful if admin let the page get out of control or when people post in a non-responsible manner.... otherwise the more the merrier.. Abby needs to be found!!!!

I am guessing there is no real news to be delivered today, at least not about Abigail's whereabouts. If there was, they would not wait until late in the day, IMO.

I'm sure you're right, but in the mean time I will hope that LE is grilling a suspect right now and plan to announce an arrest this afternoon. I'm an eternal optimist that LE always knows more than we think they do! :moo: :moo: :moo:

Oh and Clu - :loveyou:!

UPDATE: Mother of 15-year-old N. Conway, NH girl who vanished last month, will speak at news conference this afternoon. Abigail Hernandez was last seen on Oct. 9 after leaving Kennett High School.

https://www.facebook.com/necntv

I'm sure you're right, but in the mean time I will hope that LE is grilling a suspect right now and plan to announce an arrest this afternoon. I'm an eternal optimist that LE always knows more than we think they do! :moo: :moo: :moo:

Oh and Clu - :loveyou:!

I'm gonna hold on to that optimism too! When I read the thing about ZH still hoping to bring her home safe it seemed like a confirmation of no new info.. but hey, when Randy Taylor was arrested for Alexis Murphy's abduction, LE and family were still going on the record to say that alive + safe was still the goal.

My hope, along with others, is that she's been found and is waiting to be reunited with her family. I don't care whether she ran or was abducted, I'm hopeful she's home.

My hope, along with others, is that she's been found and is waiting to be reunited with her family. I don't care whether she ran or was abducted, I'm hopeful she's home.

Agreed. Anything is possible at this point and if she returns home no one will care about the why. Plus when she returns home everything from that point will be a private juvenile matter.

BBM
There in lies the problem. Same thing with the Missing FB pages, only a finite portion of a specific population "like" the page.

And how many of those 'likes' come from people who will genuinely interact with and promote the page, and how many just 'like' and move on?

For reasons clear only to them, Facebook introduced a tweak that makes it harder to see posts from pages - I follow a couple of pages that have said that they have seen the number of interactions fall because if someone just reads the post without liking or commenting, FB may decide you don't need to see it (but you do need to see a post your Farmville friend make 3 days ago about having a BBQ?!).

Social media definitely has it's uses but it's the tool of the "instant gratification" generation. Reports say teens are abandoning Facebook for twitter, snapchat - sites where information vanishes in moments. Anyone trying to get a message out needs to get help from/try to think like a largely disinterested person.

BBM
There in lies the problem. Same thing with the Missing FB pages, only a finite portion of a specific population "like" the page.

I wonder if they spend money advertising on Facebook? For pretty cheap you can run very targeted ads that would appear on the newsfeed of anyone within the demographic you select.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

On 11/13, RH mentioned something about Abby Alerts on the MHFAH page. Maybe that name is too close to Amber Alerts. How about Abby Shouts? Naw.

But is there a criteria that has to be met for an Abby Alert? How, when so little is known, do you discern between a possible abduction (with no clues) and a runaway? Or, do you have to distinguish between the two? Is a missing person a missing person no matter what the circumstances?

Abby Alarm!

That's a good question. I'm not sure but I think not. Can anyone else weigh in?

How long after you've reported a tip until you can safely post it here?
...if no one contacts you back after 24 hours?

My personal rule of thumb is its one way, once you pass on info its LE's evidence..... they contact back if they need further info but they do not tell if they investigated it...... always play it safe for Abby's sake

Yup, agree with Takeitfromme. I'd say never is the answer... or not until it is said to be fact publicly by LE or Main Stream Media. It is LE's to made decisions on once you call it in. The other very important piece is that this is a public site and if you are calling a tip about a perp, you do NOT want them to put even your username to it. SAFETY FIRST Safety of Abby and Safety of Yourself.

Yup, agree with Takeitfromme. I'd say never is the answer... or not until it is said to be fact publicly by LE or Main Stream Media. It is LE's to made decisions on once you call it in. The other very important piece is that this is a public site and if you are calling a tip about a perp, you do NOT want them to put even your username to it. SAFETY FIRST Safety of Abby and Safety of Yourself.

Totally and especially for tips regarding perps. I was thinking of more informational tips...if you noticed a pattern or an irregularity, something like that.

Well, most ends up being what would be considered rumor here per the rules. I'd keep it off the board, and check with a moderator first. kimster, bessie, catfancier are all great options!

Totally and especially for tips regarding perps. I was thinking of more informational tips...if you noticed a pattern or an irregularity, something like that.

Ideally, if you have called anything into the FBI, that is the last time you speak to anyone about it. Everything you say here is public to anyone, it can be read by anyone not just websleuth users. You will never get direct feedback from LE on "thanks that was useful" or "thanks that was not useful" as none of us are part of the investigation and we don't need to know that and in fact it might even jeopardize the whole process.

Once it is released by LE, you are welcome to share it then. Otherwise, best to not post about it anywhere. I say this as someone who has reported multiple items (some I was just passing on someone's name and phone number and a tip).

For e.g., if you look at the timeline and disappearance info on the bringabbyhome website, you will notice that is all information that has been released to the public.

Thanks for sharing any tips you have, it's really important to do that.

Hello everyone,
I have been reading your comments for a few weeks, finding everything very insightful, and in my mind I think I have pieced so many clues together that several things make sense to me now. I have a question, if I decided that I might have a tip that is useful to the FBI who would I send it to? I've thought it over for 2 days and I'd like to email it. It's more than interesting. I think the FBI has already researched it but what if they have not and I sit here and say nothing and maybe its significant? If I report it and they tell me it is not significant, I can laugh about it later and go back to petting my cats and I could share it with you. LOL I'm really not a crazy cat lady! The Boston FBI page has a list of several offices. Also KR, the FBI investigator for AH's disappearance, he works in which office in NH or Boston? I wanted to post what I have found but its just not a good idea for several reasons. I remember that one person on here has sent tips to the police or FBI so I was wondering if they look into the tip and ever give you a call back so you know if they ever researched it?

Hi, NightOwl, and welcome. I see you've received good replies, but I'd like to add a thumbs up for wisely choosing not to post your "tip". It would be deleted once a mod read it, anyway. But in the time it remained, even if only a few minutes, too many eyes already would have seen it. What might appear to us an insignificant detail could in fact be a critical piece of information. Then again, it might be nothing, but I guarantee you, someone out there will run with it, and thus, a new rumor is born. Because we don't know what LE is working on behind the scenes, we have no right to take it upon ourselves to decide which information can safely be shared in public. If we're mistaken, who suffers?

Anyway, I didn't mean to get on the soapbox, but I couldn't let your post go by without acknowledging it. ;)

:tyou:

Certainly not before the missing person is found, or the crime solved. Possibly never, depending on the nature of the information. Unless, LE releases it through the media. Then it might be okay, but again it might not.

WS is not the place to report tips, nor is any other public forum. "Tips" should go only to LE. Nowhwere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne