Found Deceased NV - Naomi Irion, 18, possibly kidnapped from parking lot, car located, Fernley, 12 March 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another small aircraft looks like it's searching the area around US-50 from the mountains west of Wadsworth/Fernley and an area just east of Fallon (near where I saw the other small planes searching yesterday.)

These aerial searches really seem focused on a relatively small and close search area. It looks like it'll be in the air until 1:20pm PST, if you get the chance to have a look. Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map | Flightradar24

Thank you.

I was able to retrieve the history. Click on the image I've posted below to see the detail.

niSearch_WS_03_23_22.png

Adding a bit to my thoughts on finding his truck: "I think he filled up within 24 hours of this crime and from less than 50 miles away. The east end of Sparks, NV along I-80 has numerous truck stop and regular gas places and he would not stand out at all in any of those places filling up. That’s about 30 miles from Fernley on the freeway"

I really think he is too careful to fill his vehicle at the Flying J truck stop in Fernley, on the north side of the freeway nearly across from Walmart, or anywhere in Fernley for that matter.

However, with a full tank, and not pulling a trailer he has a very far range to his next fillup. The radius of his next fill-up would be between San Francisco and Salt Lake City, between Medford, OR and Las Vegas. Impossible without a huge piece of luck to follow him.

The best chance is to find out where he filled up before the crime.
Isn’t it possible he had a couple of gas cans full of gas in the bed of his truck or backseat? That way he would avoid getting caught on camera filling up somewhere?

In the video, where he is seen walking down the sidewalk toward the camera, it looked to me like he had an odd gait. It looked like he was walking by putting one foot directly in front of the other. Maybe he was just doing that because he knew there were cameras and he was trying to throw everyone off.

I noticed the same gait. So I'm sure the detectives working the case would have too.

Yes! I noticed that too, but wasn't sure if it was a roll top or if I was seeing a strange reflection from the sun. I would have expected some utility boxes or containers for tie-downs in the bed of the truck.

It also looks quite clean to me. The surface off-road in the area is very dusty and if he was using it out in the field it might not have been as shiny, or he could have washed it. There are at least 4 car washes found in Fernley by googling, one of which is associated with the Flying J Truck stop, another near the south side of the main freeway exit.

Due to the number of CCTV cameras in the area, LE must have an idea of what state license plate it has. I'm surprised they haven't released that.

The key to finding Naomi is really in finding who was driving that truck!

After enlarging and poking at the photo as much as I can, and spending a couple of hours looking at pictures of High Country tailgate accessories, I think it might be just that funky multi-flex tailgate Chevy added a couple of years ago. When it's folded a certain way, it has that rolled-up look.

But it still looks like there's some kind of extra attachment near the back of the box. I found an almost infinite variety of custom and add-on tailgate designs, things that fold down to tables or open in thirds to accommodate loads, or allow a tank to be loaded in a box with only a small hatch to access the spigot, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I certainly don't know what the turnaround time is for a tech company to provide this information. But I do know this is my last post on the phone's pings bc I'd prefer to leave it to you guys. :)

Not that her phone was stolen, and this does not pertain to a ping but this article says police can track a cell phone using the IEMI - International Equipment Mobile ID
Can a mobile phone be tracked when switched off?

What Is A Ping On A Cell Phone?
A cell phone ping is when a signal is sent to a cell phone and the cell phone responds by reporting its location
Does your phone ping when it’s off?
But tracking a switched off phone is a little difficult because when a phone is turned off it will stop communicating with nearby mobile towers. It can only be traced through its last location when it was switched on by calling the service provider or through Google services.
What Is A Ping On A Cell Phone? - daitips.com

Thanks. I didn't mean to put you on the spot. Was more brainstorming options...

I taught my daughters to always lock their car doors whether they’re sitting in a parking lot or even when they’re driving. I don’t know if they really do it. The world is just not safe.

So here’s my probably unnecessary reminder to everyone reading here. Push that lock as soon as you get in the car and shut the door!
"Push that lock as soon as you get in the car and shut the door!"

That's really good advice for everyone. I'm trying to get in the habit myself.

Police have not released any information about the time that Naomi's car was parked near Sherwin-Williams, nor have they released the time that the photo of the truck was taken.

People have speculated that the truck photo was taken between 4-6 PM based on the daylight and long shadow of the truck in the photo. Naomi was abducted prior to sun rise. It was dark. The photo of the truck, heading East, is daylight and the shadow suggests late afternoon.

I initially wondered whether she was abducted, taken straight to his truck, and then taken somewhere else. The photo of the truck suggests that she was taken somewhere in her car and then the car was parked at Sherwin-Williams later that afternoon.

Abduction victims are usually dead within the hour. However, given that his truck returns to the scene of the crime roughly 11 hours later, it's quite possible that he drove 20 miles, she was not dead within the hour, he spent time obscuring the body, and then parked her car within two hours of sunset (6 PM).

What I'd like to know is why would he abduct her in her car and use that as the getaway vehicle? He had no way of knowing how much gas was in her car. She could have been down to 1/4 tank or even almost running on empty. What good would it do to plan to use her car and not know if she was almost out of gas?

Based on the few details we do know, this appears to be someone she knew, who knew her schedule well, and likely had a beef with her. Did she have a problem with anyone at work?

amateur opinion and speculation

Not sure where you got your information, but according to their own statement, LE responded to the call of a missing woman initially on Sunday evening at 11:25PM. It is possible that they did not begin investigating it as a kidnapping until sometime Monday after Walmart cams were viewed. JMO

I understand that. I watched an interview with Naomi's brother. He said that he did not notice that she did not come home on Saturday evening because he went to be early. He did not see her in the morning and he assumed she had already left for work.

He said that he realized something was wrong on Sunday. He did not mention in the interview that he called police near midnight on Sunday, but that is in the report from police.

On Monday morning he said that he called HR and learned that she did not show up for work on Saturday. His girlfriend's friend suggested going to Walmart to request access to the Walmart CCTV. He said that Walmart was very helpful. When he saw the abduction around 5 AM on Saturday, he contacted police and reported it as a kidnapping.

Roughly 24 hours later, around noon on Tuesday, Naomi's car was located 0.8 miles from the abduction site.

You can find this information in early interviews with Naomi's brother.

What I'd like to know is why would he abduct her in her car and use that as the getaway vehicle? He had no way of knowing how much gas was in her car. She could have been down to 1/4 tank or even almost running on empty. What good would it do to plan to use her car and not know if she was almost out of gas?

That is a very good question. Unless he stalked her well enough and long enough to know the car had gas, I suppose it was just the risk he took, I guess assuming it was less risky than being caught transferring her from her car into his.

Good eye! I'll keep a lookout on the altitude for any future flights I scope out in the area.

Thank you for doing this work for us! It is kindly appreciated.

Not at all attempting to tell ya what to do yet it would be helpful if the tail# was posted along with the links. I am one who checks your links each time but this last one, I had difficulty identifying the plane. I notice in carbuff's screen capture that it was an airliner flying out of Sacramento.
That's a long way to come when the Reno-Tahoe airport is less than a 30 minute drive from Fernley. They have those fancy black whirlybirds owned by our gov't because Reno-Tahoe is a Military as well as a public airport. It's most likely going to be gov't aircrafts working search and rescue missions just as they use birds for fighting wildfires. The Nat'l Guard uses that airport, too.
Thanks, again, JMapes.

I sure would love to know what LE have uncovered about this case that they are not sharing. At this point I really can't believe that they have not been able to identify the owner of that dark truck, even if not, the driver. I would almost bet money that they have retrieved a lot of video from the Sherwin Williams plant, Lowes next door, and probably some of the other buildings in that industrial area near where Naomi's car was found. Surely they have seen the license plate, unless there was none on it. And I would think running DMV records for Nevada, and even neighboring states should be able to yield owners of vehicles that match the truck. Then it is just a matter of whittling them down until you get your owner. They have probably been able to pin down the time her car was left where it was found. Also, her car has almost certainly been processed fully by now, so hopefully that revealed some clues to the identity of her attacker. They also probably have seen better video of the perp at Walmart, as the store has many cameras, covering all of the property.

I am not sure how much major crime Lyon County has had to investigate, so do not know how well-qualified they are to handle this, but the FBI is involved, with all of their expertise and resources. Hopefully, this case is progressing and Naomi will soon be located, hopefully alive and well, and whoever took her will be held fully accountable for this despicable crime. JMO

Last edited:
I think he has been watching her for multiple days. He knows enough to know her routine exactly to the minute. I think it is very likely he knows she gets a coffee in a convenience store before she goes to Walmart. He may even have been able to figure out where she lives by watching her arrive at the convenience store every day, and then backtracking from there.

I was wondering when he arrives at the Walmart to wait for her.

It makes sense to me that he follows her from the convenience store to the Walmart and then parks behind the Walmart or Lowe's. Then other days watches for her to arrive, for her to turn on her phone and drink her coffee, and he watches to see she always turns the phone off at the same time, so the phone is off and she can't readily call for help, the doors are unlocked, and she is getting ready to leave the vehicle, so she is temporarily distracted.

Incredibly cold and calculating, isn't it?

how would he see her turn her phone off from the distance he was standing at? he would have to be right beside her car window to see that and I doubt he was there for long ... or she would have noticed him and locked her door

I don't think she saw him before he opened the door

how would he see her turn her phone off from the distance he was standing?

Well, there would be no glow for a start. These phone screens give off quite a light, and sitting in a dark car when it's night, you'd see when someone had turned it on or off. If it was off, their face wouldn't be glowing from the light reflection of the screen.

how would he see her turn her phone off from the distance he was standing at? he would have to be right beside her car window to see that and I doubt he was there for long ... or she would have noticed him and locked her door

I don't think she saw him before he opened the door

This scenario gives me chills to even think about it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members