NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do not put in intermediate stops, Google Maps recommends this direct route between St George and Ruby Valley.
365 mile route via US-93

If you use only the freeways (I-15 and I-80), which means you go through Salt Lake City, it's 551 miles:
551 mile route via freeways.

Not only is the direct route almost 200 miles shorter, it's quicker. US-93's speed limit is 65mph in most areas.

We can safely assume that Steven returned from Ruby Valley via the I-80/I-15 route (due to the presence of a receipt from a Taco Time, of all things).

Yes, had looked at those routes but gas is the issue. Even if he left St George with both tanks full, if he went to Ruby Valley first then he was sliding into Pilot/WWendover on fumes. Steven does appear to have been very conscientious about gas and didn't seem to try and hide any records of his travel.

While there are not specific dates on the bank receipts (we call them receipts here which might clear the confusion) the locations of the purchases and date of bank posts tend to make them a logical part of his travels.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...118.059082&sspn=4.221512,9.876709&ie=UTF8&z=9

Back from family weekend -- so much going on while I was gone, it took forever to catch up.

I don't think that shadow is a car. I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't look large enough and it's on the wrong side of the sidewalk. This does not look like the kind of neighborhood where people leave surplus cars on their lawn. The white thing might be a person, though.

I'm still not sure whether that's Steven. I'm thinking it's somebody who knows those cameras are there and is trying to look like Steven. But on the other hand, leaving it in this neighborhood where it would be found rather quickly and most likely undamaged seems like the kind of thing Steven would do.

As to the poll question: I'm not sure. But my gut is telling me that whatever happened, has to do with the reason why he was doing all that driving.

And why he sat in the car for six minutes, then got out at noon: that's the kind of thing somebody early for an appointment does. Makes me think he was expected somewhere in that subdivision at noon.

BBM
I’m thinking the same thing.
To me it looks like it is parked on the sidewalk… I’m wondering if it could
be a motorcycle….

Yes, had looked at those routes but gas is the issue. Even if he left St George with both tanks full, if he went to Ruby Valley first then he was sliding into Pilot/WWendover on fumes. Steven does appear to have been very conscientious about gas and didn't seem to try and hide any records of his travel.

While there are not specific dates on the bank receipts (we call them receipts here which might clear the confusion) the locations of the purchases and date of bank posts tend to make them a logical part of his travels.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...118.059082&sspn=4.221512,9.876709&ie=UTF8&z=9

We call them "bank statements" here, and Steven's mother (who works at the bank) refers to it as "date posted". I'm just trying to use the word "receipt" as the actual, physical document you are given at the time of purchase.

I agree it's logical that he took the freeway both ways.

I'm throwing out a possibility. If he had travelled TO Ruby Valley via US-93, he'd have gone through Ely. It's a town of about 4,000 with lots of gas stations, fast food and tourist stops. He could have used cash.

His boss, who he saw on the 8th, "gave him about $100 just before he disappeared". The boss didn't report seeing him after that date, so I'd "assume" that he had the money with him.

There's lots missing from that trip: how many food receipts are there along I-15? Tesoro and Maverik near SLC. Taco Time in Springville on the way home on the 11th. Pilot, way out on the UT-Nevada border on one date or another. They're all "far north" or far away from St George.

I think there's cash receipts missing. If you eat inside a fast-food place, you don't carry the receipt back out to your car. You throw it in their trash. If you eat in your car, you may throw them on the floor.

Jan 30:

Q: Does the family know if there was a password to check the voicemail or if the cell could auto-dial the voicemail if somebody else had the cell phone?

A: No, we don't.

Q: Since he moved to St George, did Steven mention he had dated anyone?

A: Not that he mentioned to Naegle.

No pics looking up Evening Lights? That is where Steven went last.

Because the only way you could unappall the neighborhood, is if you took a 55+ person with you, and stood in front of a house that's for sale ;)

Because the only way you could unappall the neighborhood, is if you took a 55+ person with you, and stood in front of a house that's for sale ;)

I don't understand. If someone was able to take pictures of the cul-de-sac and Savannah Springs, why not take pictures of the street on Evening Lights?

With regard to Steven's travels ; it could be said that he was "wandeing in the desert " .... It is very hard to find meaning and patterns in a route that may well have been random. I think the trip to the ranch in Ruby Valley could have been about a happy memory from the past, perhaps he found the family there to be very nurturing towards him.He probably felt deeply grateful to those folks there. I think it was about going back to a time when he was happy, he was attempting to alleviate the time that he felt overwhelmed in. JMHO

We call them "bank statements" here, and Steven's mother (who works at the bank) refers to it as "date posted". I'm just trying to use the word "receipt" as the actual, physical document you are given at the time of purchase.

I agree it's logical that he took the freeway both ways.

I'm throwing out a possibility. If he had travelled TO Ruby Valley via US-93, he'd have gone through Ely. It's a town of about 4,000 with lots of gas stations, fast food and tourist stops. He could have used cash.

His boss, who he saw on the 8th, "gave him about $100 just before he disappeared". The boss didn't report seeing him after that date, so I'd "assume" that he had the money with him.

There's lots missing from that trip: how many food receipts are there along I-15? Tesoro and Maverik near SLC. Taco Time in Springville on the way home on the 11th. Pilot, way out on the UT-Nevada border on one date or another. They're all "far north" or far away from St George.

I think there's cash receipts missing. If you eat inside a fast-food place, you don't carry the receipt back out to your car. You throw it in their trash. If you eat in your car, you may throw them on the floor.

Your posted reminded me of question.....for the receipt purchases (not bank related) that are listed....were they cash receipts? TIA

Looking at KC's car pics again - I realize I actually parked right where Steven's car was found today. I was thinking it was found right in front of 2647 Savannah Springs, not across the cul-de-sac. So, this would put the mailbox in front of the car and the fire hydrant is to the left of 2647 if you're facing the house. Still the pics I took from where I parked down Savannah Springs and showing where Evening Lights is would show exactly the route "Steven" took down the street.

I wish I had enough guts to take a pic of the house with all the cameras, but I was too chicken! My son said he saw the cameras, but I would have liked to see how many views they have that are visible to anyone who looks for that kind of thing.

I guess the best way to address Mr Security, would be with a family member. Sit down and talk. He seemed very willing to help and absolutely not appalled.

The address was the closest one to where the car was found; that's why, when I made the "car found" map, I used the latitude/longitude. It seemed logical, and as you found out, it was really the only place to park that wasn't in front of a home, that fence, the fireplug or the mailbox.

Did you see KC's pictures?

Your posted reminded me of question.....for the receipt purchases (not bank related) that are listed....were they cash receipts? TIA

Some were, some were not.

According to the information Naegle originally posted, the Taco Time receipt did not have a corresponding bank post date. So we can assume it's cash.

On the timeline, if it says "receipt", it means a physical receipt was found. Those are the most accurate sources.

If it says "purchase", and there's a date, it means that there is knowledge of the actual purchase date.

Some items on the bank statement did not have receipts, nor was the actual date of purchase available -- so I show them only on the "receipts" page and haven't put them on the timeline.

With regard to Steven's travels ; it could be said that he was "wandeing in the desert " .... It is very hard to find meaning and patterns in a route that may well have been random. I think the trip to the ranch in Ruby Valley could have been about a happy memory from the past, perhaps he found the family there to be very nurturing towards him.He probably felt deeply grateful to those folks there. I think it was about going back to a time when he was happy, he was attempting to alleviate the time that he felt overwhelmed in. JMHO

I think that's a good point.

Wanting to return to Brazil someday, also shows a yearning for a simpler time. Yes, there's work and responsibilities on a mission -- but there's time for fun and it's also a very structured environment.

ALSO: According to Naegle, the family has not been notified by LE of any passport usage.

(I forgot to mention that "side question" I asked last week...)

I just got done working with Fairy1's images and uploaded them to a web page (whew!).
Here it is, also linked from the timeline page:
http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html/f1-images

Thanks to Fairy 1 for those great pics of the area where Steven disappeared.

I have to say that IMO;
Steven went to that area for a purpose.
Steven parked in the cul de sac because he was aware of it. He was told to park there or had been there before.
Steven had a noon appt.
Steven walks with purpose. Steven seems to carry something with him.

I don't know why he went there.

I don't think there is some odd reason for his disappearance.

It is only odd because he has not been found.

I think the reason he disappeared is a basic one.
1. Murder
2. Fugue state
3. Walked away

I think the reason he disappeared is in the housing estates.
Someone knows.

I don't live anywhere near Henderson, NV.
But I am willing to send emails to newspapers, homeless shelters,
IHOP's, anything that could be of help.

imo....

I just got an email from my cousin that live in the St. George area - she said she has only seen this story 1 or 2 times. She also said there is only 1 singles ward in Hurricane & several in St. George b/c of Dixie College - but she wasn't sure how many. I'll try to contact some of my cousins in Henderson & Vegas & see what they have heard about this story & if their wards know about this

Saying goodbye to favorite places?

I just got an email from my cousin that live in the St. George area - she said she has only seen this story 1 or 2 times. She also said there is only 1 singles ward in Hurricane & several in St. George b/c of Dixie College - but she wasn't sure how many. I'll try to contact some of my cousins in Henderson & Vegas & see what they have heard about this story & if their wards know about this

It may be, because it's believed he was last seen in Vegas.

Frankly, I'd be searching around St George, too. The home Steven lived in, is on the edge of town, against the hills.

As for news coverage:
I think it depends which newspaper you read, TV station you watch or what you pay attention to. The Salt Lake Tribune has had more stories than anyone else; the Deseret News, I've only found one (and a mention in a Powell story). ABC-4 had an excellent interview with Steven's parents.

The St George Spectrum had one story on Dec 24th, with an info panel:
http://search.thespectrum.com/sp?aff=1100&skin=100&keywords=Koecher&x=6&y=18

There's a local news magazine http://www.todayindixie.com/ owned by the publisher of The Clipper (the Davis County newspaper Steven's dad is exec editor of). When I search for "Koecher" in their search box, nothing turns up.

Good find Nicoleinvegas. Steven looks a bit huskier in the photos provided in the video. Do we know whether these photos are a more accurate representation of his weight at the time of his disappearance or the other photos where he looks skinnier? Even in the pictures from the Christmas dinner, Steven looks skinnier than this IMO. It's possible his being out of work could have led him to lose weight, due to the stress and all.

Um in regards to the Taco Time receipt...does anyone know if it was in Utah? Because Vegas does have one Taco Time here at a truck stop off of the I-15.

Okay, so he drives all over the region. He avoids close friends and relatives while dropping in on somebody he remembers fondly from the past. He leaves the car in a place it will be safe, and found quickly. He leaves the Christmas presents in it so they'll be found and presumably given to his younger relatives.

This sounds to me like somebody who is planning to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3