NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mia,
Yes, I mentioned that in another post.Why didn't anyone come forward to say they had interviewed him ? Either because they were involved in his disappearance, or because they did not wish to come into contact with LE in any way, even though they wre not involved in his disappearance
I do not believe Steven killed himself, I believe he was murdered. But, I do think he was in Anthem to drop off his resume with someone, who probably led him to believe they might help him get work Not a formal interview, because he was needing some kind of gig where he could start right away. He was so broke.

not sure if this was posted before. I have not been following this thread as carefully lately.

this is from S.A. who posted at FB:

Apparently I was the last one that talked with Steve. I called him on the phone. He answered and I asked him if he was going to be at church that Sunday so he could tell the priesthood quorum about the basketball game that week. He said that he would not not be able to make it to church. I never bothered to ask him why. Then I asked him if he would be attending the basketball game. He answered again by saying that he could not make it. Again I did not ask why. I then ended the conversation with a bye. His voice on the phone sounded very normal. He was not in any distress. I talked with the police about this call and so they know all about it. I wish I knew more, but I don't. I just hope he is found. He is in all our prayers at the singles ward.

There is a post from Naegle that stated this call from SA was the same call he made from the meeting. He did not call twice. Naegle said there were only two calls answered on Sunday as far as what the records showed...so this would make sense. I will search for the post.

I have to tell you that the straightedgers ARE extremely active in SLC and more so in Odgen. As a PI and working Security for many events we are definitely on the lookout not only for other gangbangers but what to watch for with the straightedgers.. so to correct laytonian we are not ground zero... it is just not publicised.

There is a post from Naegle that stated this call from SA was the same call he made from the meeting. He did not call twice. Naegle said there were only two calls answered on Sunday as far as what the records showed...so this would make sense. I will search for the post.

IIRC, Naegle said that she did not see two calls from Abboud. She gave us the 9:47am time herself.
That doesn't mean that Steven didn't talk to him twice.

At 01-15-2010, 01:34 AM, on WS, Naegle told us that Abboud called at 9:47am call about basketball.

But the 11:15am MST call was made by Abboud, from the church meeting, at the request of Paul Doxey. It was likely to have been from a church phone. The time on that call is verified by Paul Doxey, from his own records.

Then there's the GW call.

That's three.

So, after going through all those missing/UIDs looking to see if there's a pattern for men like SK disappearing from Las Vegas --

I am struck by the incredible number of suicides and deceased homeless transients in the region. There were half a dozen who turned up in Las Vegas Wash after flash flooding, apparently because their makeshift camp was washed away with them in it. ODs, accidental or deliberate. Setting fire to themselves in abandoned apartments or trailers. Hanging from billboards. Incredibly sad and lonely...

It's also pretty sad how little the surrounding county seems to care about the remains. Descriptions are sketchy. In most cases it doesn't appear there was ever a followup investigation or further search. There isn't enough information to make a match even if somebody thought of checking.

Apparently it's true that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Apparently that includes hopes, dreams, plans, identities. Apparently it's often permanent...

So, after going through all those missing/UIDs looking to see if there's a pattern for men like SK disappearing from Las Vegas --

I am struck by the incredible number of suicides and deceased homeless transients in the region. There were half a dozen who turned up in Las Vegas Wash after flash flooding, apparently because their makeshift camp was washed away with them in it. ODs, accidental or deliberate. Setting fire to themselves in abandoned apartments or trailers. Hanging from billboards. Incredibly sad and lonely...

It's also pretty sad how little the surrounding county seems to care about the remains. Descriptions are sketchy. In most cases it doesn't appear there was ever a followup investigation or further search. There isn't enough information to make a match even if somebody thought of checking.

Apparently it's true that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Apparently that includes hopes, dreams, plans, identities. Apparently it's often permanent...

Don't you think, though, that it's a factor of how involved the family is? How many families are actively seeking someone who walked out of their lives 20-30 years ago, due to mental illness or alcoholism ... either in the home or on the part of the person who left?

Law enforcement is more likely to react when they get lots of information and assistance from a family. If no one's sought a person, what records are there to check?

We hear about the "pretty blonde syndrome" where the missing persons most often sought, are the Natalie Holloways or Harringtons. Laci Peterson wasn't blonde, but Sharon Rocha is a tiger of a mother. What propelled those cases were parents who wouldn't back off, who'd constantly give out new information, and who were so brave that they'd challenge a POI publicly.

I followed the Susan Powell case enough to know that there were at least two people who posted to the SL Trib forum, angry that their missing sibling wasn't being sought or publicized. When I asked them what they had done to bring the case to the public's attention, I didn't even get a reply.

Good Morning everyone-are we still talking about Steven's case....cause I am soooo lost here......

Good Morning everyone-are we still talking about Steven's case....cause I am soooo lost here......

We were looking at other people missing from the area to see if there's a pattern Steven might have been part of. It seems that there are a few men who match Steven's general description missing in the last ten years, but I don't see much pattern beyond that. Laytonian's chart (link to "similar cases" at the bottom) has the details.

Don't you think, though, that it's a factor of how involved the family is? How many families are actively seeking someone who walked out of their lives 20-30 years ago, due to mental illness or alcoholism ... either in the home or on the part of the person who left?

Law enforcement is more likely to react when they get lots of information and assistance from a family. If no one's sought a person, what records are there to check?

We hear about the "pretty blonde syndrome" where the missing persons most often sought, are the Natalie Holloways or Harringtons. Laci Peterson wasn't blonde, but Sharon Rocha is a tiger of a mother. What propelled those cases were parents who wouldn't back off, who'd constantly give out new information, and who were so brave that they'd challenge a POI publicly.

I followed the Susan Powell case enough to know that there were at least two people who posted to the SL Trib forum, angry that their missing sibling wasn't being sought or publicized. When I asked them what they had done to bring the case to the public's attention, I didn't even get a reply.

I'm sure that's a big factor, but I was also comparing to the way some of the other states I've looked at recently handle their UID information. Nevada's reads like somebody went through a box of bones and typed in the information off the labels, then shoved the box back under the desk. Granted some of the remains here are fragmentary, it still seems like not much was done on the LE front.

I suppose with such a booming town, with drugs and transients all over the place, solving cold cases isn't the highest priority. It still seems sad.

I'm sure that's a big factor, but I was also comparing to the way some of the other states I've looked at recently handle their UID information. Nevada's reads like somebody went through a box of bones and typed in the information off the labels, then shoved the box back under the desk. Granted some of the remains here are fragmentary, it still seems like not much was done on the LE front.

I suppose with such a booming town, with drugs and transients all over the place, solving cold cases isn't the highest priority. It still seems sad.

It does look that way, and I think that goes back to polititics. If it were funded, it'd be publicized, and then Vegas might look bad. I've always seen the Mayor of Vegas as more of a PR position than a manager. That kinda goes back to the publicity issue: Vegas doesn't like bad publicity unless they create it themselves ("what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas").

It does look that way, and I think that goes back to polititics. If it were funded, it'd be publicized, and then Vegas might look bad. I've always seen the Mayor of Vegas as more of a PR position than a manager. That kinda goes back to the publicity issue: Vegas doesn't like bad publicity unless they create it themselves ("what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas").

Too true :p I personally would find it more comforting to know that if something *did* happen to me in Vegas, somebody might go looking for me...

Yes, we are. We're looking to see if there's any trends.

We've got three other "vanished into thin air" cases in the Vegas area 2.5 years before Steven vanished. One was in an Anthem neighborhood (proving that a strange car can pull up and take someone, and only the watching wife will notice), and the other two are actively sought by relatives.

I know it's not politically correct on WS to look at linkage, and that we're supposed to treat each case individually....but Ted Bundy operated in my neighborhood. I saw what happens when things aren't linked. "Our" victim was blonde, and although many of us believed that she was a victim of whoever was preying in the area, she was never seriously included as a Bundy victim. Until he confessed, just before he was executed.

Yes, we are. We're looking to see if there's any trends.

We've got three other "vanished into thin air" cases in the Vegas area 2.5 years before Steven vanished. One was in an Anthem neighborhood (proving that a strange car can pull up and take someone, and few will notice), and the other two are actively sought by relatives.

I know it's not politically correct on WS to look at linkage, and that we're supposed to treat each case individually....but Ted Bundy operated in my neighborhood. I saw what happens when things aren't linked. "Our" victim was blonde, and although many of us believed that she was a victim of whoever was preying in the area, she was never seriously included as a Bundy victim. Until he confessed, just before he was executed.

I get what you are saying-BUT, Family, LE and media are still trying to follow Steven's case as well here. So we want to make it easy for them to see what is happening with it in particular.

It has nothing to do with being PC-it has to do with confusion. In your shoes, I would start a thread on Vegas disappearances that cover whatever the common denominators are that you see and stick it in the Jury room for now...this is what happened with the College Age aka Smiley Faced Killer forum prior to it going full steam ahead in the public area. What's nice about the non public area is the level of candor that you are allowed. ;)

Too true :p I personally would find it more comforting to know that if something *did* happen to me in Vegas, somebody might go looking for me...

We would be ALL over it, Car.

Unfortunately the only trend I see is that a lot of men go to Las Vegas to kill themselves :( Not the conclusion I wanted to come to.

I get what you are saying-BUT, Family, LE and media are still trying to follow Steven's case as well here. So we want to make it easy for them to see what is happening with it in particular.

....and that was kinda what I was thinking of. Not a lot of discussion, but enough to pique their interest in that direction and maybe see linkage (or not, based on their much-broader knowledge of the cases). If we hide it somewhere else, who's going to see it?

We can keep it down to a low roar, and not discuss it as much here...and not post so much about why we're discussing it here ;)

It has nothing to do with being PC-it has to do with confusion. In your shoes, I would start a thread on Vegas disappearances that cover whatever the common denominators are that you see and stick it in the Jury room for now...this is what happened with the College Age aka Smiley Faced Killer forum prior to it going full steam ahead in the public area. What's nice about the non public area is the level of candor that you are allowed. ;)

Good point. I'm sorry for confusing things -- I'm terrible for going off topic. Just slap me around and I'll get back in line. :blushing:

Good point. I'm sorry for confusing things -- I'm terrible for going off topic. Just slap me around and I'll get back in line. :blushing:

Nah-I just happen to know that we have a couple of sets of eyes consistently watching, so I just wanted to make sure everything was in it's place...kinda OCD of me I know!!!:innocent::croc::blushing:

Honestly, I think one reason for the seemingly meandering thread is that there is scant information available in this case. And there has been no new information for quite some time. So, all information that is known has been sifted through many times, with similar conclusions. And,of course,some information which people would like to have is seemingly off limits ; for example, many people have asked probing questions about Mr.Webb's phone call, and the whole coincidence of his presence in Las Vegas that weekend. But, those questions are never answered.I think that LE has questioned him closely, and they have formed conclusions..... JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbennett90