NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Karina's father is raising reward money to help spur tips and information:

"Vetrano, a former New York City fireman, said he is 'also reaching out to the country, to my firefighter brothers all over the country, all over the world ... please help me now. We were there for you in your time of need, now it's my time. I need your help.'

'We need for someone to say, 'Hello, I know the guy.' That's what were looking for,' Vetrano said."

and...

"In the last 16 hours, a ******** page that was started by Vetrano has raised over $27,500 in addition to the $20,000 reward that's already been offered in the case. Vetrano said today he wants to raise $100,000 by the end of the week."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/father-murdered-nyc-jogger-pleads-public-find-killer/story?id=41266039

Karina's father is raising reward money to help spur tips and information:

"Vetrano, a former New York City fireman, said he is 'also reaching out to the country, to my firefighter brothers all over the country, all over the world ... please help me now. We were there for you in your time of need, now it's my time. I need your help.'

'We need for someone to say, 'Hello, I know the guy.' That's what were looking for,' Vetrano said."

and...

"In the last 16 hours, a ******** page that was started by Vetrano has raised over $27,500 in addition to the $20,000 reward that's already been offered in the case. Vetrano said today he wants to raise $100,000 by the end of the week."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/father-murdered-nyc-jogger-pleads-public-find-killer/story?id=41266039

They have raised $60K in 18 hours, with the goal of $100K by the end of the week. Looks likely that they will achieve it. jmo

Just read that a LE "source" told a reporter that Vanessa Marcotte was strangled. Also read ( on V's thread here) that there are local *rumors* that V's murder was especially brutal.

It's strange, IF these murders are connected, that a predator rapist would do two murders/rapes so close together. Usual pattern is that there is a longer interval between rapes. The urge to rape/control builds, and they repeat the pattern. I think, IF the murders are connected, that they were targeted for nefarious reasons that are not known, or that this murderer's arc is ramped up by something like a testosterone based steroid. Could be a gym going bodybuilder. Narcissistic. Somehow he crossed paths with both of them in NYC. maybe he was,or felt, spurned by them. If so, he must have gone ballistic when Karina bit him ( assuming that's what happened). She dared to hurt his "perfect" body...jmo

Brought this over from Vanessa's thread:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...g-princeton/AfIQDNRaY60Ek5DtkL9H3O/story.html

Authorities have not said how Marcotte died.
Investigators are trying to determine if she was sexually assaulted.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.masslive.com/news/worces...ve_things_we_know_about_vanessa_marcotte.html

Some news sites are reporting that Marcotte's body was also found nude, and that authorities are investigating that she was either sexually assaulted or strangled, but police have not confirmed this information.

Police are not ruling out connection to New York jogger killing

News not as forthcoming for Vanessa, as is for Karina...

News is not as forthcoming for Vanessa, as is for Karina...

Old steve, I read this here on Vanessa's thread. It is credited to a "sheriff's dept. source " Will now go back and find the post...

News not as forthcoming for Vanessa, as is for Karina...

Old Steve, Check out Vanessa's thread, and carbuff's post # 122...it mentions the "source' who said she was strangled.

also, I read on V's thread that the DA is in charge of the investigation there, and they rarely give out much info.

Best news of all from V's thread : as of this morning, LE is waiting on the results of the rape kit. some issues might possibly be cleared up soon...

I'm interested to see if a huge amount of money will solve this case. I've seen cases grow cold even with hefty rewards offered. I'm worried for her parents expecting their daughter's killer to be caught soon. I think it's good they're acting fast, and I hope this brings results. But as many of us know, it may take years and other young women dying before this predator is caught.

Think back on other killers that went undetected for years, and you might remember some that were loners, weren't detected during the crime, and no one around them or in their lives noticed they were a killer. It's hard to guess how this perp will eventually be caught. At least, LE does have this person's DNA. Waiting to see if someone steps forward with crucial info on who did this to Karina.

Surprised no one heard any screams or yelling. No mention of any kind of booby trap such as transparent line strung across path - something always to be on the lookout for when trail running...

I got the impression from all of the other pictures that she was found closer to the corner of the actual streets. Not at the big bush/tree right there but maybe across in those weeds. I am attaching a "googlemaps" screenshot of what I was guessing. Seems like I was off based on the other picture.
attachment.php

Attachments

• NYC.jpg
    NYC.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 238
I'm interested to see if a huge amount of money will solve this case. I've seen cases grow cold even with hefty rewards offered. I'm worried for her parents expecting their daughter's killer to be caught soon. I think it's good they're acting fast, and I hope this brings results. But as many of us know, it may take years and other young women dying before this predator is caught.

Think back on other killers that went undetected for years, and you might remember some that were loners, weren't detected during the crime, and no one around them or in their lives noticed they were a killer. It's hard to guess how this perp will eventually be caught. At least, LE does have this person's DNA. Waiting to see if someone steps forward with crucial info on who did this to Karina.

I am also curious. Part of me thinks this is something her father is doing as a way of handling his grief. He's a rescue person - someone who runs into dangerous situations to save people. His response to his tragedy, imo, is to DO something. What he can do right now is raise money.

Do rewards work? IDK. I'd like to think people come forward because it's the right thing to do, because knowledge weighs to heavily on them, or to save someone else from being hurt. People come forward, too, to make sure they themselves are not implicated - better to rat out someone else than be accused yourself. I'm not entirely convinced money motivates....but if it does, bring it on.

I hope they have a plan of what to do with the money if no one comes forward.

But...good luck. Hope it works.

I am curious too. My stepsister was murdered in 1990 and the case remains unsolved to this day. They had DNA from her killer and it matched the DNA from another woman that was raped but it has never matched anyone in the CODIS database. I am hoping there is a different outcome for Karina and that her killer is brought to light. It seems like these large sums of money would bring someone to the table with some information.

I am curious too. My stepsister was murdered in 1990 and the case remains unsolved to this day. They had DNA from her killer and it matched the DNA from another woman that was raped but it has never matched anyone in the CODIS database. I am hoping there is a different outcome for Karina and that her killer is brought to light. It seems like these large sums of money would bring someone to the table with some information.

So sorry to hear that tragedy happened in your family. ((mocity))

The original map of where she was found showed her on the loop closest to the water, opposite of the lane by the road.

I do not think that a higher amount/reward has an actual effect to solve the case faster or more effective. It is more a symbol and a kind of psychologically relief for the family of the victim and other sharing persons that they do something helpful.
The case could be solved by the help of coincidences or little details but not with money.

Also i am not sure if the killer was a strong/athletic person. I read this very often in this case that it must have been a strong killer because Karina was athletic and attend the gym often. The killer had the advantage of surprise on his side and also when she start fighting against him he was high on adrenalin. In this status combined with the effect of surprise attack even a non-athletic guy could be the killer. Furthermore when i look at her pics she seems to be in good physical shape but that has not really a lot to do how effective an attacked person fights off an attacker.

I do not think that a higher amount/reward has an actual effect to solve the case faster or more effective. It is more a symbol and a kind of psychologically relief for the family of the victim and other sharing persons that they do something helpful.
The case could be solved by the help of coincidences or little details but not with money.

Also i am not sure if the killer was a strong/athletic person. I read this very often in this case that it must have been a strong killer because Karina was athletic and attend the gym often. The killer had the advantage of surprise on his side and also when she start fighting against him he was high on adrenalin. In this status combined with the effect of surprise attack even a non-athletic guy could be the killer. Furthermore when i look at her pics she seems to be in good physical shape but that has not really a lot to do how effective an attacked person fights off an attacker.

Hmm...Is the killer physically fit or a non-athletic guy? I'd love to hear more about how you see this killer. I see him as under 35 yrs. old, and if not fit then having had his share of physical fighting. He seems comfortable with violence, and I'd expect his past to reveal some kind of violent sexual acts.

Yes, the killer had the element of a surprise attack working in his favor, but from the details I think Karina rose to the occasion and fought back in a battle to save her own life. I'd guess he wasn't able to knock her out right away. I think she struggled and got out of his hold several times, and she may have bit him. I hate to even talk about it, but she suffered a prolonged beating compared to being instantly knocked out. He didn't give up and run off, and sadly he got what he wanted.

Just a thought-- maybe he couldn't run off and leave her alive because he does live in the neighborhood and he knew she could identify him.

Hmm...Is the killer physically fit or a non-athletic guy? I'd love to hear more about how you see this killer. I see him as under 35 yrs. old, and if not fit then having had his share of physical fighting. He seems comfortable with violence, and I'd expect his past to reveal some kind of violent sexual acts.

Yes, the killer had the element of a surprise attack working in his favor, but from the details I think Karina rose to the occasion and fought back in a battle to save her own life. I'd guess he wasn't able to knock her out right away. I think she struggled and got out of his hold several times, and she may have bit him. I hate to even talk about it, but she suffered a prolonged beating compared to being instantly knocked out. He didn't give up and run off, and sadly he got what he wanted.

Agreed. But he likely waited for her return jog, when she'd be more tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader