NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hours later, her father, a retired FDNY official, set out with a search party and, along with police, ultimately discovered his daughter's body, 15 feet off the jogging path. A used condom was found nearby and one of her shoes was missing, a police source said.

There's no evidence she knew her attacker, officials said.

Vetrano was beaten "quite severely," suggesting she put up a "ferocious fight," the chief of detectives said in an Aug. 4 news conference. The medical examiner determined strangulation to be the cause of death.

http://pix11.com/2016/08/18/karina-vetrano-howard-beach-jogger/

n the days after Vetrano’s death, NYPD pleaded for the public to come forward with tips as a paltry amount of “generic” information had come in by that time. Phil Vetrano on Thursday said dozens more tips have been gathered since then.

Let's keep in mind that LE never said the sketch was of the suspect. The person in the sketch was described as a possible "witness."

So, maybe the sketch will look like the perp, but maybe not.

jmo

As you can see below I didn't insinuate the sketch was the suspect.

bbm
sketch is here to see how close it is to suspect.

The articles about the perp are stating he lived in projects in East New York (ENY) not far from the crime scene. Below is a list of public housing in ENY. I'm trying to figure out which are close to the scene and thought I'd ask if any locals know which projects are the closest to the Weeds (and save me the mapping task!).

Belmont-Sutter Area
Boulevard Houses
Cypress Hills Houses
East New York City Line Houses
Fiorentino Houses
Linden Houses
Long Island Baptist Houses
Louis Heaton Pink Houses
Penn.-Wortman Avs. Houses
Unity Plaza
Vandalia Av. Houses

jmo

ETA: The source of this list is Wikipedia.

NYPD has confirmed they have made a Familia DNA match. Detectives have a suspect in custedy buthe charges are pending. The 106 pricint will be having a press conference today at 11:30 am.

They are called the Pink House. Not far from the crime scene. I may be able to attend the press conference. But most likely I'll be station at Central Booking to get the suspects picture.

My initial thought was the Gateway Elton housing. I posted this map yesterday. I know a family who lives here. It's easily accessible from Erskine St where he could of been on bike or foot and fled quickly back home.

43fcdb43fa4edfae36c1e93d076974c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The articles about the perp are stating he lived in projects in East New York (ENY) not far from the crime scene. Below is a list of public housing in ENY. I'm trying to figure out which are close to the scene and thought I'd ask if any locals know which projects are the closest to the Weeds (and save me the mapping task!).

Belmont-Sutter Area
Boulevard Houses
Cypress Hills Houses
East New York City Line Houses
Fiorentino Houses
Linden Houses
Long Island Baptist Houses
Louis Heaton Pink Houses
Penn.-Wortman Avs. Houses
Unity Plaza
Vandalia Av. Houses

jmo

ETA: The source of this list is Wikipedia.

bbm those and Flatbush Gardens

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...ee448097b3bf66!8m2!3d40.6577549!4d-73.8844085

Officials did not immediately release the name of the suspect, but sources told The Post he is in his 20s and lives in a housing project in East New York, Brooklyn, a neighborhood just west of her home in Howard Beach.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/04/suspect-arrested-in-connection-with-murder-of-jogger/

They are called the Pink House. Not far from the crime scene. I may be able to attend the press conference. But most likely I'll be station at Central Booking to get the suspects picture.

Interesting. That is the name that stuck out at me. Did we discuss Pink Houses on this case at some point?

Anyway, just read an article about about a filmmaker who had a youtube series about the Pink Houses. This quote from the article jumped out at me:

"'We used to just take our bikes and ride all over the vacant lots that were here. Just go crazy back in the day,'"

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...housing-projects-now-has-its-own-youtube-show

Of course, that quote doesn't mean anything in this case....but it is a scenario we discussed, for sure.

jmo

My initial thought was the Gateway Elton housing. I posted this map yesterday. I know a family who lives here. It's easily accessible from Erskine St where he could of been on bike or foot and fled quickly back home.

43fcdb43fa4edfae36c1e93d076974c0.jpg

Okay, so we have narrowed it down to:

Gateway Elton
Boulevard Houses
Linden Houses
Pink Houses

Okay, so we have narrowed it down to:

Gateway Elton
Boulevard Houses
Linden Houses
Pink Houses
There's also the Spring Creek Towers, not 100% if there is public housing there as well.

Also does not appear that this perp has anything to do with the Vanessa Marcotte case in Princeton. There was much speculation it must be the same perp since LE did not come out and specifically say they weren't the same guy.

I remember the media thought there were plenty of similarities in both cases, but LE never confirmed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's also the Spring Creek Towers, not 100% if there is public housing there as well.

I kinda sorta wanted to narrow it down to one place and then nod my head in agreement during the press conference.

Don't think that's going to happen. :)

IDK But it seems odd to me that the suspect lived in the county of brookyn and is at 106th precinct for ? in county of queens.

IDK But it seems odd to me that the suspect lived in the county of brookyn and is at 106th precinct for ? in county of queens.
He was questioned in Queens. Gave DNA swab at 106th.

Edit: If he was found again walking around in Howard Beach like he was previously and brought in for questioning he will not be brought back to Brooklyn. The precient who brings him in will now take over.

I kinda sorta wanted to narrow it down to one place and then nod my head in agreement during the press conference.

Don't think that's going to happen. :)

Im on the same page as you. Been looking and looking. Someone said above the pink houses but wouldn't that be considered north.

One of the articles stated just west. I'm inclined to think we'd be looking more towards erkstine.

a37ecb251f3c4b70d2d92138c11cf3eb.png

ETA: red dot upper right side is pink houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

“We got to get this done,” said Vetrano’s father Philip Vetrano, a retired firefighter. “(The testing) just targets criminals — it’s one criminal related to another criminal, so it’s only targeting the bad guys.”

His wife Cathy Vetrano also demanded the tests be done.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...testing-find-vetrano-killer-article-1.2903122

The latest development in the murder investigation came a few days after Vetrano's parents called for the New York State Commission on Forensic Science to allow familial DNA matching in New York, which lets police to search the state and federal DNA database to see if a suspect's relative is in the system.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/05/police-catch-suspect-in-murder-nyc-jogger.html

http://www.dnaforensics.com/familialsearches.aspx

Hoping NY State still approves use of familial DNA searches for cases like this. Looks like the Vetrano case was solved through police work and a direct DNA match (if confirmed) but this won't be possible for other cases and those families deserve every chance for justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawlessinvestigates