NY-Long Island-4 bodies on Beach-Possible Serial Killer-Dec 2010 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a campground at Cedar Beach, right near where the bodies were found. It is run by the Town of Babylon but I think it is very hard to get a spot there and it is limited to one-week of camping per family. I believe the last 4 bodies were found just west of that campground.

From the News12 website~

"Suffolk police say that the body of missing New Jersey prostitute Shannan Gilbert is not among three sets of human remains found along Ocean Parkway Monday."

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=278243&position=1&news_type=news

That link didn't work for me. Here's another.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/shannan-gilbert-bodies-linked-long-island-beach-serial/story?id=13303092

Sad none were Shannan but at least no new remains have been found in the search today.

Is the town of Babylon in charge of this roadway and patch of brush? hmm.... going to do more work.

The name "Babylon" is interesting symbolically, considering the role of prostitution in this case and the possible "mortification of the flesh" connotation of the burlap. I'll see what else I can find about it.

svpernin....thanks for clearing that up about the "party" I was confused why le wasn't thinking jb or the old man were suspects so I reasoned that might have been what happened...now I am confused again lol. Also I was referring to the newsday link that bearschick posted.

svpernin....thanks for clearing that up about the "party" I was confused why le wasn't thinking jb or the old man were suspects so I reasoned that might have been what happened...now I am confused again lol. Also I was referring to the newsday link that bearschick posted.

Everything about the night Shannan went missing is confusing. I really hope LE has a better grasp on it than what they have said publicly. Either way, LE really messed up that night. She was on the phone with 911 for 23 minutes. It makes no sense.

The name "Babylon" is interesting symbolically, considering the role of prostitution in this case and the possible "mortification of the flesh" connotation of the burlap. I'll see what else I can find about it.

I wouldn't read too much symbolism into the burlap bags. That is veering off into crime fiction. (James Patterson.)

Most likely the burlap is just handy for him and somehow related to his trade. Fisherman, clamdigger, landscaper, import-export business.

Also yes there are beach campgrounds close to the Robert Moses beaches...and yes Town of Babylon is in charge of the area where the bodies were found.

Everything about the night Shannan went missing is confusing. I really hope LE has a better grasp on it than what they have said publicly. Either way, LE really messed up that night. She was on the phone with 911 for 23 minutes. It makes no sense.

Yes I agree....the 23 min thing is absurd. I do know that the beach area is more remote so response time would be longer but that doesn't make any sense at all. Hopefully they have more information than they are giving the public.

Hi Danica! Welcome from a fellow South Shore LI'er.
Do the state troopers patrol Ocean Parkway, or did they turn over jurisdiction to the 1st precinct? (they did this in Nassau on 135/SOB)

"The man who drove the missing 24-year-old Jersey City prostitute to her client in Oak Beach, Long Island on May 1 -- the day she went missing -- said today she was "delirious" and "irrational" when she made a 23-minute 911 call from the john's house.
Another man, the boyfriend of Shannon Maria Gilbert, told The Jersey Journal today that he initially thought Gilbert, of Christopher Columbus Drive in Jersey City, had left him when she didn't return home....On May 3, the boyfriend and the driver returned to Oak Beach in search of Gilbert and checked local beaches and area hospitals, according to the driver."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/12/boyfriend_and_the_driver_of_sh.html

the whole story is kinda screwy from the varying media reports. shannon was on the phone with 911 from jb's house originally. then called back. the police take 45 mins to show up for a call of a girl endangered who named her attacker. and of course le doesn't get there in time.

now if her driver is different than the pimp, who was she afraid of? if not jb, who supposedly called her driver since she was afraid to leave his house, and figuring that same driver drove her there, was she afraid of the driver?

how come the driver hasn't been named?
why didn't le search right that night or the next day for shannon? that was may 1st 2010; and it was warm with no snow, perfect time to search.

it seems like at the time, le didn't even bother to search let alone show up for the 911 call in a timely fashion to say the least.

if shannon wasn't afraid of jb, was she afraid of her driver? did she have another client she was to go to after jb that she would be afraid of?

shannon was supposed to have named her attacker in that 911 call they won't release. would it be possible that among certain circles (high priced call girls) there were rumors of a serial killer john?

these rumors wouldn't have reached out of those circles of people, especially since there were no known bodies found yet.

does her pimp hire professional drivers for these girls? (such as a limo type lincoln town car service) or does he have a regular set driver?

the driver asked for his name not to be used and of course it's not been mentioned. why is that when they mention jb's name? so i'm wondering if shannon's pimp actually hired various limo/car services to transport his girls to clients. they could bring in $1000 a night which would make it possible to afford car service.

if le is going to post jb's info all over the news, yet they let the driver's request to remain anon be, i don't get it. why not name the driver if he's not a suspect?

also if the driver was in his suv for 3 hours sleeping and playing internet poker, then how on earth would he be able to say that shannon was delirious and irrational? he was just woke up supposedly by jb since shannon is too scared to leave jb's house. so he gets there.

imo, i don't care how delirious, irrational, supposedly on drugs or bi-polar shannon was, obviously she was right about someone trying to kill her.

i wish that newsday article they edited would be there again when it qouted her sister who claimed le told them that shannon named her attacker on the 911 calls.

le seems to have this cya policy now excuses as to why it took them so long to get to the scene (dont tell me after 23 mins you can't trace a call c'mon now). i would be surprised if they have suspects in this case.

the media has made a mess of the events of that night, it's unclear.

in the link internetgirl posted:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/12/boyfriend_and_the_driver_of_sh.html

the driver says he ran after shannon after she ran out of the house. if this is the true case, then how come he didn't catch up with her?

we know she went to the neighbor's house frantically and then she ran through the weeds according to gc the neighbor. then the driver drove up to the house claiming shannon was at a party and left upset. hmmm driver's story doesn't really add up. shannon's little, i have no idea what the driver looks like or how old, yet he pulls up to the neighbors in his suv later...

sounds like shannon knew for sure that someone was after her, yet she may have been confused as to who.
if she named her attacker on the 911 call, then it's possible she said something in jb's house that they aren't releasing.

This case will be discussed on Jane Velez Mitchell tonight at 7pm on HLN. I'm sure Nancy Grace will be talking about it a little too at 8. And by "talking" I mean YELLING misinformation like it's the gospel truth. Sorry, she irks me.

I wouldn't read too much symbolism into the burlap bags. That is veering off into crime fiction. (James Patterson.)

Most likely the burlap is just handy for him and somehow related to his trade. Fisherman, clamdigger, landscaper, import-export business.

Probably. But with dead prostitutes and a town called Babylon, I thought it was worth bringing up again.

Hi Danica! Welcome from a fellow South Shore LI'er.
Do the state troopers patrol Ocean Parkway, or did they turn over jurisdiction to the 1st precinct? (they did this in Nassau on 135/SOB)

Hi and thanks! I am not positive by I don't think that its patrolled by state troopers.

It's weird, because out here, our Townships are called "Towns" but the suburban towns we live in are also called towns.
The area in which the bodies were found is called Gilgo Beach, or Oak Beach. They're in the Township of Babylon.

I hate the way our local gov't is laid out. Unlike the rest of the US.

It's weird, because out here, our Townships are called "Towns" but the suburban towns we live in are also called towns.
The area in which the bodies were found is called Gilgo Beach, or Oak Beach. They're in the Township of Babylon.

Unless you live in a village.....like the Village of Babylon!

Sorry, getting goofy here.

Yes it's weird, so I also don't think there is a connection to the name babylon or the bodies would have been dumped in babylon village itself.

Yes it's weird, so I also don't think there is a connection to the name babylon or the bodies would have been dumped in babylon village itself.

Ahh, okay. Not familiar with the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member