OH - 9 killed + Gunman, 16 injured, Mass Shooting, Oregon District, Dayton, 4 Aug 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a link where you can buy the Against All Gods patch. Could be related to hip hop music, but this looks to be a witchcraft or a cult site

Against All Gods - Embroidered Patch

Not hip hop. And not a "cult site". It's more goth. Witchcraft. Trying to be edgy and sinister.

The term may also refer to a dark fantasy book and movie:

In the series finale of Maz Evans' bestselling Who Let the Gods Out? series, Elliot faces his darkest period yet. As well as facing up to his fears, he realises that the future of mankind - and the survival of everything he holds dear - is at stake. But can a bunch of misfit gods, a lost constellation and a mortal boy stand up to the daemon hordes?
Against All Gods (Who Let the Gods Out?, #4) by Maz Evans

Dayton shooting: What we know about the gunman

Connor Betts, the man who authorities say killed nine people and injured 26, was bullied when he was a student at a suburban Dayton, Ohio high school.

A classmate, Laura Wakeley, said that Betts responded by making up a list of people at the school he wanted to shoot in 2010 or 2011. "He had a plan to shoot up the high school," she told reporters near the home of Betts' parents.
I'm glad he didn't but I wonder what stopped him? Did the classmate report him?

@oceanblueeyes I agree with you.
I also think there's a common background to these shooters:
Grew up in standard middle class families, they have almost anything they could ever want but there's possibly a lack of love and care in the home. Introverted and bullied at school, normally have no friends. They turn to the internet for comfort and get caught up in these ideas spread in racist groups or on incel forums. Then suddenly they're out of high school, no job, no career or educational path, and feel like their lives are worthless, and that they might as well "go out with a bang."
I relate to them in a lot of ways.. I've never fit in and was ostracized in school.
But the difference is I, and most other people who grew up as loners, have empathy. We use that hurt as a reason to never hurt someone else. We look at our past and decide to strive for a better future.
These shooters have gotten to the point where they see humans as objects, and nothing more. There is definitely a lot to be said for how society "nurtures" a shooter, but I think in the end there's that small, important piece that comes down to nature.
All MOO

, the man who authorities say killed nine people and injured 26, was bullied when he was a student at a suburban Dayton, Ohio high school.

A classmate, Laura Wakeley, said that Betts responded by making up a list of people at the school he wanted to shoot in 2010 or 2011. "He had a plan to shoot up the high school," she told reporters near the home of Betts' parents.
RSABBM:

This appears to be a frequent common denominator in the background of these mass shooters.

As we all know, correlation does not equal causation.

Being bullied in school isn't an excuse to go shoot up a bar. Or a Wal-mart. Or a school.

Or anything.

Logically, though, it seems to me like if we identify the correlates or commonalities in these monsters' profiles and then work to alter the contributing factors, we might just be able to do a little better at preventing these monsters from being created in the first place.

How about let's try to address bullying in schools and see if that makes a difference.

Gotta' start somewhere.

JMO.

Last edited:
*Warning: Graphic content*

Dayton 24/7 Now spoke with other classmates of Betts' who said he was expelled from school after officials found a notebook where he reportedly wrote a list of people who he wanted to rape, kill and skin their bodies. The classmate we spoke with said Betts was supposed to write a letter of apology to the people on the list. After being expelled, Betts was allowed back to school, according to the classmate. The classmate added Betts was not a loner, but had friends.

More at link Dayton Police, FBI search Bellbrook home of Oregon District shooting suspect

I'm reading.....and heartbroken. I just don't know what to say anymore. Words feel empty to me....everything I type I know I've typed many times before. I'm so sorry for the loss of lives. To the victims and their families, you are in my prayers.
Well said. So help me, I found myself thinking, at least this time it is an Adults Only venue". Ya know, so no kids will be killed.. Sick that that occurred to me almost as "the bright side" of this one. Yuck. I hate that these abberent thoughts even enter my mind.

Connor Betts, the man who authorities say killed nine people and injured 26, was bullied when he was a student at a suburban Dayton, Ohio high school.

https://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/nation-world/article233511272.html

This article has a different view of him from classmates.

Neighbors and classmates of the Dayton shooter were surprised that he was at the center of a mass shooting that killed nine people and injured dozens.

Brad Howard, a longtime classmate of Betts, was shocked. He says "the Connor Betts that I knew was a nice kid.”

Not hip hop. And not a "cult site". It's more goth. Witchcraft. Trying to be edgy and sinister.

The term may also refer to a dark fantasy book and movie:

In the series finale of Maz Evans' bestselling Who Let the Gods Out? series, Elliot faces his darkest period yet. As well as facing up to his fears, he realises that the future of mankind - and the survival of everything he holds dear - is at stake. But can a bunch of misfit gods, a lost constellation and a mortal boy stand up to the daemon hordes?
Against All Gods (Who Let the Gods Out?, #4) by Maz Evans
Looking at his choice in tshirts, he seems to be fond of Brutal Truth, he wears a Brutal Truth welcome to the end times tshirt in one picture. It's a rather dark and depressing band. End Time (album) - Wikipedia You can listen to it on Youtube. It's ......different. Reminds me a bit of Nine Inch Nails lyrics for some reason. Nothing similar in sound. moo

Well said. So help me, I found myself thinking, at least this time it is an Adults Only venue". Ya know, so no kids will be killed.. Sick that that occurred to me almost as "the bright side" of this one. Yuck. I hate that these abberent thoughts even enter my mind.
I actually had the same thoughts when I first heard about this one. I've been really emotional today, and I think it's because I just feel kind of defeated, because I know it's just going to happen again. Something has to change.

How about let's try to address bullying in schools, just for starters, and see if that makes a difference.
RSBM
Just thought I should add this.
When the walkouts were happening at Parkland our school had an anti-bullying campaign. On the day of the walkout they encouraged students to talk to the loners.
Not fun when you're being approached by multiple people because they think you might be the next school shooter.
I know they had good intentions, but I'd suggest some less obvious tactics...
All MOO

Ah. I thought it was based on a book and movie.
It may be. I thought the connection was more likely given the anime patch. But at least one poster thinks the "anime" patch is actually Baphomat -- so go figure :)

@oceanblueeyes I agree with you.
I also think there's a common background to these shooters:
Grew up in standard middle class families, they have almost anything they could ever want but there's possibly a lack of love and care in the home. Introverted and bullied at school, normally have no friends. They turn to the internet for comfort and get caught up in these ideas spread in racist groups or on incel forums. Then suddenly they're out of high school, no job, no career or educational path, and feel like their lives are worthless, and that they might as well "go out with a bang."
I relate to them in a lot of ways.. I've never fit in and was ostracized in school.
But the difference is I, and most other people who grew up as loners, have empathy. We use that hurt as a reason to never hurt someone else. We look at our past and decide to strive for a better future.
These shooters have gotten to the point where they see humans as objects, and nothing more. There is definitely a lot to be said for how society "nurtures" a shooter, but I think in the end there's that small, important piece that comes down to nature.
All MOO

Thanks for your thoughtful post.
There are lots of loners who don't/didn't fit in at school. And, to your point, they don't end up as killers. Many actually find a spot in adult society and become quite successful once they escape the 'popularity cult' of high school.

There have always been bullies and there always will be. Luckily we're talking about it more and creating more awareness. Unfortunately, social media and the internet are more than offsetting this, as the 'rejected' individuals find others who amplify their feelings of hatred.

Another difference is simply the availability of guns. There are people in other countries who are bullied. But it's more difficult for them to act in such a violent way. Yes, they might drive a vehicle into people or stab them, but semi-automatic weapons are more effectively lethal.

RSBM
Just thought I should add this.
When the walkouts were happening at Parkland our school had an anti-bullying campaign. On the day of the walkout they encouraged students to talk to the loners.
Not fun when you're being approached by multiple people because they think you might be the next school shooter.
I know they had good intentions, but I'd suggest some less obvious tactics...
All MOO

I'm in no way justifying bullying, but it's something that's always existed and it's something that exists in every country, but it seems to get the most extreme reactions here. I don't know how we can even begin to fix it, but we need to figure something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steck1