OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone dies due to a fight, it's homicide, not an accidental death.

What I mean is that if there was a fight between Brian and Clint than it would actually be IMO if Brian died, involuntary manslaughter. I don't think that Clint intended to kill Brian if there was a fight between Brian and he. The affects of the alcohol may have escalated the violence. In my example of Clint punching Brian and Brian losing his balance and falling down the stairs. Or lets say, there was no fight at all. But Brian and Clint were drunk as skunks, which I believe, and there was some sort of accident at Brian's apartment and Brian fell and died from severe injuries. That scenario would be the type of thing that would make Clint want to get of the body, move away, lawyer up, because it is something that he can't fix. If he speaks his reputation is shattered. Good point from George the lawyer, if he takes a polygraph, there could be loaded or misleading questions who's answers could also hurt his reputation if he is innocent, and just a man with a cold personality.

However, there is no question in my mind that Clint is a red-herring in this case. To our knowledge, he never helped look for Brian in searches, never assisted or comforted family members or Alexis, talked very remotely and coldly about Brian, almost as if having a planned script. Even if this is supposed to be a friend, is this the way that someone reacts and responds by being so cold and distant in the wake of a tradgedy? Fine Clint, don't take the polygraph if you fear skewed results, I'll accept that. But the fact is thatyou have never assisted in helping find Brian or offered any means of support to his family or friends in the search. I can not accept. If you are so innocent Clint, why not at least PRETEND to care by helping others in the search? What Clint is doing all these years, makes him look like he knows far more than he will ever tell. That's not the way that a true friend acts.

Satch

I agree,

If Brian died due to a fight with Clint, it was certainly an accidental death. But something like that could certainly make the unintended perpetrator want to be silent unless granted immunity. It would also explain much of Clint's personality and demeanor following Brian's disappearance. I also would say, maybe just grant Clint the immunity so that we could get some closure. Personally, I don't trust Clint, and who knows? He could lie through his teeth if he ever talks even with immunity. However, right now, it is so sad because we have no physical evidence to determine what happened to Brian.

Brian also could have died to a drug related or money situation involving Clint directly or indirectly. A fight over a woman or a relationship situation is possible here as well. We know Alexis did not like Clint, and the expectations that Brian was planning to tell Meredith and Clint about his plans to propose to her.

Oh, if we could only have video to match that surveillance camera video!

Satch

Correction: Above should say, "Oh, if we could only have audio to match that surveillance camera video!"

Satch

Wasn't it unlawful that Clint entered and stayed in Brian's apartment, whether for 5 minutes or 6 hours? Surely he can't say that he had Brian's permission, since he lost contact with Brian. So he was definitely in someone else's home without permission, whether he had the key (how?) or broke in. Shouldn't he be questioned and prosecuted for that?

Also, given that Brian was missing, there is a legitimate reason to regard Clint as a person of interest and should detain him for questioning. Anyone who entered a missing person home without permission/justified reasons, especially shortly after he went missing and before it's reported as official, should be suspected of being connected to the disappearance.
(Reminds me of Mike McStay entering his brother Joey McStay's home after the latter's whole family went missing, to steal the laptop etc..)

Wasn't it unlawful that Clint entered and stayed in Brian's apartment, whether for 5 minutes or 6 hours? Surely he can't say that he had Brian's permission, since he lost contact with Brian. So he was definitely in someone else's home without permission, whether he had the key (how?) or broke in. Shouldn't he be questioned and prosecuted for that?

Good point, I'm all for it.

Also, given that Brian was missing, there is a legitimate reason to regard Clint as a person of interest and should detain him for questioning. Anyone who entered a missing person home without permission/justified reasons, especially shortly after he went missing and before it's reported as official, should be suspected of being connected to the disappearance.
(Reminds me of Mike McStay entering his brother Joey McStay's home after the latter's whole family went missing, to steal the laptop etc..)

Well... I'm thinking that he could have said that Brian had left the bar unexpectedly and he had went to Brian's place to wait there for him. I mean.., if they were friends, it's not unusual that he would go to Brian's apartment if he was genuinely concerned about him. What is unusual is how he got into his apartment... did he have the key? why did he have the key? how did he get the key?

Yes but "Residential Entry" is the lowest of low misdemeanors. The statute of limitations its nearly over a decade gone. Even then they could not have used it as a bargaining chip. He would be looking at informal probation with a duty to not get arrested again for a period of a few months.

Were there surveillance cameras inside the bar? I guess no?

Did investigators take fingerprint, footprint or DNA samples from Brian's apartment? Or perhaps they only focused on the bar?

Charley Project says there is no DNA but they have dental. No DNA tells me they didn't do their due diligence in the investigation

From the looks of it, it wasn't all that hot to begin with.

The weirdest part of the investigation was the claim that they tested the bar for blood, and found none. None? The place is pretty much a dive, full of drunken college kids, and it's a restaurant (although based on the reviews, not much of a one). Not a drop of blood? No fights, no broken glass, no fish guts dropped on the floor? Not a single drop of blood? If you spray Luminol in a a regular bar, it's like looking at the milky way, there's bodily fluids everywhere. Either they're hire the same cleaners hospitals use for operating rooms, or the statement from LE is bogus. They probably just looked around, because they didn't suspect foul play.

Tested the construction area for blood, not the rest of the bar.

I've read everything on this case from the early days to articles, interviews, everything here and on Reddit. There is nothing one can even use to get him out of the bar conclusively.

Thanks for the well thought out post. I read all the way through to the end before I realized you were replying to my post, lol. :)

Regarding the band, I tried to find out who that was a while back and came up with a band that played there on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure it was that band playing that night, but now I'll have to go back and find my information. Not sure if I or anyone else posted about that here. :thinking: Other than that, I agree with your post. On the number of exits, we had a former employee from there post on that subject, but I don't remember who the poster was. Guess it's time to go back and review.

One way to get him out of the bar is if the rumor that the band used a lift in the construction exit to get their equipment out is true, it would be a good lead. I'm not sure it is even technically possible.

As for the exits, that's pretty much the stumbling block with getting any real discussion on the case. It's hard to get a grasp on the case, thats over a decade old, and even LordenArts could not get the basics right. There were only three doors and one additional way out. The front with the escalator where everyone else left. There is the construction exit and we don't even have a clear idea of where you accessed this from the bar and why the police said it was very difficult to traverse. There was an emergency exit to the left of the bar where a theater was just put in. This exit also had a camera and the only way to this exit, out of the bar and across the platform all on camera. The last is the balcony and while he certainly could have gotten onto the awning it is unlikely he would not have been spotted as the area on the ground was quite crowded. These are the only ways he could leave on his own volition.

I find Clint's possible culpability to be minor such as a drug transaction etc. They should give immunity. However, at this point with his career and no chance of charges even immunity would be unlikely.

Yes. It was exactly how they said it was in their statement. Left the bar, she calls Brian, they walk to the garage, get into the car, and leave.

In their own statement? What about video evidence? Were they seen leaving together?

I'm intrigued by that John Doe in Mexico. While it's hard to tell, it does look like Brian. However I realize that is highly unlikely.

I emailed the contact from my earlier post about the burned body found in MI. Not expecting to hear anything back though. That would be crazy if it were him. Matches the height, weight, and age.

I'm intrigued by that John Doe in Mexico. While it's hard to tell, it does look like Brian. However I realize that is highly unlikely.

I emailed the contact from my earlier post about the burned body found in MI. Not expecting to hear anything back though. That would be crazy if it were him. Matches the height, weight, and age.

Kind of makes me want to take a pic of every homeless person I see. Never know who could be looking for them. Such a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of makes me want to take a pic of every homeless person I see. Never know who could be looking for them. Such a great idea.

Honestly after looking at the website it was posted on, it made me look at that situation differently. I live in Detroit and see homeless people daily. I couldn't imagine one of them being a missing person, let alone not even being from this country.

Honestly after looking at the website it was posted on, it made me look at that situation differently. I live in Detroit and see homeless people daily. I couldn't imagine one of them being a missing person, let alone not even being from this country.

Really ? So it's probably not all that helpful ? I checked out the missing Americans in Mexico and found it interesting. It would be a long shot to be Brian I guess .. if we could only see that arm/tattoo.

Really ? So it's probably not all that helpful ? I checked out the missing Americans in Mexico and found it interesting. It would be a long shot to be Brian I guess .. if we could only see that arm/tattoo.

I was agreeing with you. Sorry if that came off the wrong way. I meant it is very interesting and I never even thought of homeless people being missing persons.

I was agreeing with you. Sorry if that came off the wrong way. I meant it is very interesting and I never even thought of homeless people being missing persons.

Okay, good. [emoji846]. I think it could be a great tool to help find the lost or wanted, albeit probably a long shot. Does Brian have any ties in Mexico that we know of ?

Okay, good. [emoji846]. I think it could be a great tool to help find the lost or wanted, albeit probably a long shot. Does Brian have any ties in Mexico that we know of ?

Unfortunately we don't have that information, and very little else to go on either. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro