OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind this was a fish restaurant and a bar. You not only have weird fish smells, but also the smells of a bunch of intoxicated people jammed into a small space. Also "stench" is relative. The stench of vomit for example is way different than the stench of a dead body. I have been in so many high traffic areas that had a weird smell that this doesn't mean much to me unless they get an employee or similar on record noting a change in smell immediately following the disappearance.

Keep in mind this was a fish restaurant and a bar. You not only have weird fish smells, but also the smells of a bunch of intoxicated people jammed into a small space. Also "stench" is relative. The stench of vomit for example is way different than the stench of a dead body. I have been in so many high traffic areas that had a weird smell that this doesn't mean much to me unless they get an employee or similar on record noting a change in smell immediately following the disappearance.

I'd point out that the stench reported on Yelp was noted in the Gateway Theatre, and not in the Tuna.

If there was a decomposing body in or under the 'construction area', it would not have been directly below the Tuna, because IIUC the Mad Mex restaurant was in place directly under the Tuna at 4/1/06. IIUC, the 'construction area' was at street level to the north of the Tuna (under space occupied by Gateway) and at street level south of the Tuna (the space leased by the future Sunflower Market that opened for business 9/2006).

This is the same issue I have. It seems most of what we have learned was already known. The timeline really throws me off. Such a big deal was made on what happened when Brian walked off camera. Well we know he didn’t re-enter the bar at that time. If your go off of 1:55 when Brian was last seen, add in a few minutes for Brightan to go to the restroom, then say goodbye to Brian. We know Clint and Meredith are leaving on the escalator at 2am. And Meredith calls Brian at 2:01am. I just don’t understand how they missed him. My curiosity has me wondering if Brian was trying to ditch someone and didn’t want to be seen.

I think he was trying to ditch someone and didn’t want to be seen. I wonder if he left alone.

I think he was trying to ditch someone and didn’t want to be seen. I wonder if he left alone.

Bingo! No doubt in my mind he was, the question is who? Seems the most likely ones would be Clint and Meredith. There is no doubt Brian's phone was shut off before he left the bar area. Brian walked off camera at almost 1:56 am. Brightan said they walked over to the entrance of the Tuna and stood there for a few minutes. Brightan said she went to the bathroom and when she came back she was pretty sure Brian was still there.

So Meredeth called Brian at 2:01 am and she was calling from outside the building! So in less than 4 minutes time Brian walked off camera stood in front of the bar entrance talking to Brightan and Amber while supposedly Clint and Meredith are inside the bar searching for him? Then at 2:00 am Clint and Meredith leave the bar after not being able to find Brian and when they get out side at 2:01 am Meredith makes the call to Brian and said "where the hell are you?"

So now instead of having a gap in the time line we have one that almost overlaps? The only possible explanation IMO is Brian saw Clint and Meredith coming and stepped out one of the doors in the hallway, but I don't see how Clint and Meredith could not have seen him standing there? Even while you are inside the bar it's pretty easy to see out in the hallway. If for example Clint looked out and saw Brightan and or Amber and Brian was out of view you would think Clint might have gone over to ask her if she had seen Brian and if he did then he would have seen Brian standing there.

I realize that none of this tells us where Brian is, but it still would be nice to know what his intentions were and why he left the way he did and why did he shut off his cellphone?

Bingo! No doubt in my mind he was, the question is who? Seems the most likely ones would be Clint and Meredith. There is no doubt Brian's phone was shut off before he left the bar area. Brian walked off camera at almost 1:56 am. Brightan said they walked over to the entrance of the Tuna and stood there for a few minutes. Brightan said she went to the bathroom and when she came back she was pretty sure Brian was still there.

So Meredeth called Brian at 2:01 am and she was calling from outside the building! So in less than 4 minutes time Brian walked off camera stood in front of the bar entrance talking to Brightan and Amber while supposedly Clint and Meredith are inside the bar searching for him? Then at 2:00 am Clint and Meredith leave the bar after not being able to find Brian and when they get out side at 2:01 am Meredith makes the call to Brian and said "where the hell are you?"

So now instead of having a gap in the time line we have one that almost overlaps? The only possible explanation IMO is Brian saw Clint and Meredith coming and stepped out one of the doors in the hallway, but I don't see how Clint and Meredith could not have seen him standing there? Even while you are inside the bar it's pretty easy to see out in the hallway. If for example Clint looked out and saw Brightan and or Amber and Brian was out of view you would think Clint might have gone over to ask her if she had seen Brian and if he did then he would have seen Brian standing there.

I realize that none of this tells us where Brian is, but it still would be nice to know what his intentions were and why he left the way he did and why did he shut off his cellphone?

Yes!

The new evidence, which IMO isn't new, but has only been released by LE because so many people are asking great questions, suggests strongly that Brian wanted to get away. Brian wanted to likely get away alone, Brian wanted to get away sight unseen, and if alive, Brian never wants to be found again.

Do we have any evidence of the conversations of Brian, Clint, and Meredith that night? What was talked about? I would like "Comeback" to ask these questions of Brian's communications with Amber and Brighton as well that he spoke with when last seen in the video. What did Brian talk about with EVERYBODY at each place they went that night? Did Brian run away because he no longer wanted to be a doctor, and with his Mother deceased, no longer felt a commitment to please her?

We also know that Brian's association with Clint was very rocky at this time, being the first time that they talked according to LE for about a month. We know that Brian had been womanizing, and these woman in question may have been friends of Clint's and Clint resented Brian doing that, deeply. This may have been a deep escalating conflict over woman that could force college kids to engage in extreme behaviors.

Since the band Roadhouse, has no recollection of Brian communicating with them, Brian saying that he 'wanted to go talk to the band." was accepted by the group, as they claimed that Brian had done this before. But this time, Brian lied. Perhaps he didn't want to talk to the band, but wanted to talk to Amber and Brighton. We know that Brian exchanged phone numbers with at least one of them. He seemingly had another goal, get away from Clint and possibly Meredith. It would seem that what Clint knew, Meredith would find out, so Brian had to distance himself from both of them and not be seen.

If Brian didn't misstep mentally or physically from the booze, leading to a tragic faith, either around the premises or off of the it, he could have met a bad fate in a drug deal, a far away suicide, or homicide. It is very, very unlikely that he is still alive.

Satch

Yes!

The new evidence, which IMO isn't new, but has only been released by LE because so many people are asking great questions, suggests strongly that Brian wanted to get away. Brian wanted to likely get away alone, Brian wanted to get away sight unseen, and if alive, Brian never wants to be found again.

Do we have any evidence of the conversations of Brian, Clint, and Meredith that night? What was talked about? I would like "Comeback" to ask these questions of Brian's communications with Amber and Brighton as well that he spoke with when last seen in the video. What did Brian talk about with EVERYBODY at each place they went that night? Did Brian run away because he no longer wanted to be a doctor, and with his Mother deceased, no longer felt a commitment to please her?

We also know that Brian's association with Clint was very rocky at this time, being the first time that they talked according to LE for about a month. We know that Brian had been womanizing, and these woman in question may have been friends of Clint's and Clint resented Brian doing that, deeply. This may have been a deep escalating conflict over woman that could force college kids to engage in extreme behaviors.

Since the band Roadhouse, has no recollection of Brian communicating with them, Brian saying that he 'wanted to go talk to the band." was accepted by the group, as they claimed that Brian had done this before. But this time, Brian lied. Perhaps he didn't want to talk to the band, but wanted to talk to Amber and Brighton. We know that Brian exchanged phone numbers with at least one of them. He seemingly had another goal, get away from Clint and possibly Meredith. It would seem that what Clint knew, Meredith would find out, so Brian had to distance himself from both of them and not be seen.

If Brian didn't misstep mentally or physically from the booze, leading to a tragic faith, either around the premises or off of the it, he could have met a bad fate in a drug deal, a far away suicide, or homicide. It is very, very unlikely that he is still alive.

Satch

Satch, you bring up some very good questions. The one thing that I'll disagree on is your statement that it is unlikely that Brian is alive. There is zero evidence that he is either dead or alive. He very well could be dead or he could be alive just like the girl Kimberley Kessler they found last week who went missing back in 2004. Brian was pretty smart I don't see how hard it would be for him. Kimberley Kessler was even working using a stolen SS #.

I can tell you this and I don't really want to say why cause I'm not sure if I should but Brian was not that serious about Alexis. I could give you 2 good reasons but I want to at least make sure I have permission first.

After hearing the podcast we can be pretty sure that Brian never made it back into the Tuna to tell Clint and Meredith that he wanted to talk to the band. If he said this he either did it earlier in the night or not at all. Clint and Meredith left at 2 am. They literally had to be searching for him while he was still standing outside. So Brian did not lie as this never happened.

So Brian did not exchange phone numbers with Brightan. Brightan programmed her number into Brian's phone. So he had her number but she did not have his. This tells me that Brian did not want her to have his number. I'd like to know when this was done. Was it done earlier in the night or outside while they were talking?

Hey All,

I need some questions answered to help with this case. Some may be review an some may reveal additional information:

1.) How long had Brian and Alexis been dating?
2.) Was a trip to Miami really planned for them? If so, who purchased the tickets?
3.) Was the planned engagement REALLY planned? From what we are beginning to know, this seemed to be more of a dream that Alexis had that they were going to go to Miami for Spring break and Brian was going to propose.
4.) We DO know, at least at this time, that Brian never purchased an engagement ring.
5.) Were there any other known conflicts in their relationship, other than Brian saying after his Mother's death, "I think you should move on and find someone else."
6.) It seems that this relationship was more of a one-way street in reality, than the two way love connection like "Eskimos on ice" that Alexis envisioned.

Satch

Hey All,

I need some questions answered to help with this case. Some may be review an some may reveal additional information:

1.) How long had Brian and Alexis been dating?
2.) Was a trip to Miami really planned for them? If so, who purchased the tickets?
3.) Was the planned engagement REALLY planned? From what we are beginning to know, this seemed to be more of a dream that Alexis had that they were going to go to Miami for Spring break and Brian was going to propose.
4.) We DO know, at least at this time, that Brian never purchased an engagement ring.
5.) Were there any other known conflicts in their relationship, other than Brian saying after his Mother's death, "I think you should move on and find someone else."
6.) It seems that this relationship was more of a one-way street in reality, than the two way love connection like "Eskimos on ice" that Alexis envisioned.

Satch

I’m thinking you could be right, maybe Brian was feeling too much pressure , to finish medical school, to be a doctor, to get married . Maybe for the Miami trip, did he even want to go? Pressure from all sides, it even makes me feel like running away.
IMO the remarks he made to Alexis were an indicator ofwhat he was thinking of doing, or already planned to do.

I think it was on Brainscratch -- Brian bought the tickets

I recently rewatched it and you know what just struck me

on the message he left her he said "bye" twice with a pause between

it just struck me as odd

I also wish we had some sense of how intense the notion that he did not want to be a doctor

Grad school is rigorous - im my experience all of us had a passion to complete and a love for our chosen field. There are times in grad school when you wish you were on an island with a cocktail and say so.

How serious that want is minimal!!

He was in his second year.

From the limited sense I got it did not sound like dad was forcing this on him

I am not sure if this Jimmy Buffet fantasy was really more of an expression of stress as opposed to any real lack of want in earning his grad degree

and

was the island verbalized for a long time or only after his mothers passing -- that too makes an island appealing for a period of time

jmo

Last edited:
I need to rewatch it, like bye bye ?

it was like bye

pause

and a another bye as if it had different meaning

but i really think something bad happened after he left than him fleeing - his family had just gone through a loss -- if you think about it that is pretty intense to just vanish after the rest of your family is in the middle of a major loss

this tragedy would IMO have another entire feel if the cops were not adamant that everyone that went in went out except brian

as time has passed it is a fact that there ARE other ways out - it was the first night of spring break i would imagine it was busy outside at that time of night on spring breaks first day!

The camera quality is the pitts -- all it would take is a 4 second glitch in the old equipment.

Clints stuff makes it seem more like something bad happened after the bar was clsoed

The notion that he is encased in cement is pretty far fetched if ya think about it

we don't know there party behaviors some folks have it understood that you can just split if ya wanna go with someone some say you must tell each other etc etc so we really dont know if brian not meeting up after closing was common (and done in the past) or a serious breach of understanding.

I dont know if it is different with straight guys.

I liked going out alone so i did not have to deal with all that.

But when out with females I was not allowed to leave with someone unless I told them ( and frequently they had to meet him before I was given the all clear! )

moo

I think it was on Brainscratch -- Brian bought the tickets

I recently rewatched it and you know what just struck me

on the message he left her he said "bye" twice with a pause between

it just struck me as odd

CARIIS, (Or anybody.)

Do you have a link to this? That is interesting!

Satch

we don't know there party behaviors some folks have it understood that you can just split if ya wanna go with someone some say you must tell each other etc etc so we really dont know if brian not meeting up after closing was common (and done in the past) or a serious breach of understanding.

I dont know if it is different with straight guys.

It's also well established that Clint was gay.

Satch

check this out

at around 212 (they give us the idea that the door to ugly is right there it is not

it is like 100 feet away from the actual entrance

there is elevator door

In addition I don't know about you guys but I just realized there are two huge starwells off camera ( it only has the escalators in the shot ) at closing I would have probably just used the stairways instead of the skinny slow escalator!

Last edited:
It's also well established that Clint was gay.

Satch

I’ve heard / read this, but are we sure it’s not rumor and speculation? Either way, I’ve always had a strong impression that Clint and Brian may have not been getting along, had words , had a disagreement, or something along those lines, that night. And Brian was purposely trying to get away from him, JMO.

I agree, Cariis, Clint's attitude and behavior are very concerning.

Please anyone, refresh my memory, we have no information on Clints whereabouts after he left the bar, right? Didnt he and Meredith go back that professors house,? But I assume he could have snuck out afterward without anyone’s knowledge. Jmo

did you guys know about the large stairs right next to the tiny escalator??

did you know how far the bar entry was from when he went off camera ?

I’ve heard / read this, but are we sure it’s not rumor and speculation? Either way, I’ve always had a strong impression that Clint and Brian may have not been getting along, had words , had a disagreement, or something along those lines, that night. And Brian was purposely trying to get away from him, JMO.

I agree, Cariis, Clint's attitude and behavior are very concerning.

Please anyone, refresh my memory, we have no information on Clints whereabouts after he left the bar, right? Didnt he and Meredith go back that professors house,? But I assume he could have snuck out afterward without anyone’s knowledge. Jmo

I agree,

Updates on everything we NOW know would be helpful. Things that we thought were established years ago, aren't seemingly so established now. For instance, many thought that Clint went back to Brian's apartment and had a key and waited there for six hours? Did Clint have a key to Brian's apartment? Now we hear that Clint actually waited in his car for Brian. Was that the same night that Brian vanished? Or the following day? How long did Clint wait in his car?

What's coming out now, is that there was conflict between Brian and members of the group that night. Seemingly the most conflict between Clint and he. We need to ask "Comeback." Where did Meredith and Clint go after they left the bar? I also wonder, did they go back to the professor's house and wait there? What classes did the trio take with this professor? What does the professor know about the case? Was he/she ever questioned by LE? What were Clint and Meredith doing at the professor's house?

Satch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member