OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cell phone could also not have been reachable by a cell tower for other reasons, like bad reception in buildings. I know I used to have a lot of problems with my cell provider inside office buildings.

This is true, I wonder if this was an issue in that building. Which brings me back to another thought I've had, a basement or the parking garage. I've wondered if there was a basement in the building. But also, in one of the videos, they show the inside of the parking garage where they parked and the elevators. Cell phone reception is even worse it seems in these type of areas, also aren't elevators notorious for bad cell reception?

Most bars have a " bouncer " or 2 at the door, but police?
Is that typical for any US campus bar, or have there been problems at the LT that necessitated hiring them?
It is common for police officers to gain extra money by performing security-type functions after their normal hours.
Probably a bit more secure to hire off-duty (but still allowed to be in uniform) officers than generic security personnel.

Except that at 1:55AM the police officers are standing right at the top of the stairs, as seen in the video clip I snipped. If they were there at 1:55AM it suggests to me that they were there to ensure everyone left successfully with no altercations when the bar closed at 2:00AM.
The bar did not close at 2 AM. That's a common misconception throughout this thread.
2 AM is last call. You can' buy alcohol after 2 AM but the bar doesn't actually close until 2:30. I don't think you can enter the bar either during the time between last call and closing, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Because there is that extra time between last call and losing time, there isn't always a big rush to the doors at 2 AM.

There's a couple things that really eat at me here. He's talking to the girls on camera nearly up until closing time. By this point, last call has probably been called and within moments, everyone will have to leave the bar. This includes his friends, who would be looking to get him so they could leave. Did his friends stick around and look for him for a good amount of time? What time does the camera show they leave? Would they leave without him without first sticking around to find him, hang out near the bathroom to see if he's in there, etc? We're talking about minutes between the time Brian goes back to the bar (or so it seems) and when they close. Whatever causes him to disappear happens near the end while there's still plenty of people filing out. My thought is for him to have gone back to the bar would have been impossible. Did he leave an unsettled tab or was he paying cash all night? Would three people go to a bar together and two leave without at least knowing where the third is and not just assuming? If I'm one of the friends, I'm sticking around, at least outside the bar, calling and waiting for at least 20 minutes, but that's just me.

I have a feeling he walked in on something he wasn't supposed to see, like a drug deal going down. Maybe in the bathroom, maybe he steps outside in the construction area because he has to pee and there's a line at the restroom. If there's no witnesses in the bar that remember seeing him at closing time, when everyone's moving toward the spot he would have been entering, then it seems to me he never went back in.
He is talking to the girls nearly up until last call (2 AM), closing time won't happen for another 1/2 hour (2:30 AM).

I see where you're going. Sometimes, the enforcement of "closing time" depends on the bar staff though. Did they literally kick everyone out that very minute? Or did they tell them you have a half hour left to drink while we clean and close up? Or did they sometimes let a few regulars hang around and chat after hours? I've seen all these things in restaurants I've worked in.
Last call and closing time are defined in Ohio law. Last call is 2 AM and closing time is 2:30 AM. Sure they could close earlier than 2;30, but most college bars want all the revenue they can, so they make last call as lat as legal (2 AM) and don't push patrons out in a rush as that encourages drinking too fast, so they likely would not have closed before the last-legal time of 2:30.

Is it common in America for street level drug dealers or gang members to just kill a guy for witnessing a drug deal? I am in the UK and I know several drug dealers and people who have been to prison for drugs too and not once have I ever heard of someone being shot or disposed of for simply waking past or seeing a drug transaction in a street or passage way. Even now I can walk 2 streets away and there will be people selling drugs from car windows and shop doorways and plenty of people walk by and know what's going on. Some of the old people in the area and the shop owners report it and the dealers know who reported them and never once has anyone been killed. There are already too many risks involved with the lifestyle to go around shooting random civilians for being in the vicinity of a drug deal.

I have seen the theory that the person was killed after being in a bad neighborhood and witnessing a drug deal put forward for so many missing person cases in America. Just wondering how common it actually is over there for that to happen.
Even if it was a drug deal, what motive would there be for a drug dealer to hide the body and increase the chance of being caught doing so?

Bryan wasn't incapacitated at the time he was shown in the videos, or according to witnesses right before the bar closed. Then right at closing time, Clint and Meredith couldn't find him, he was already gone. So if he became incapacitated it had to have been after he left the bar. Right? Unless he was drugged, and the drugs didn't kick in until he walked away from the bar ? Idk, feel like I'm going in circles. :/
Don't confuse closing time (2:30 AM) with last call time (2 AM). Brian was last seen 5 minutes before last call, not 5 minutes before closing. Patrons can remain in the bar from 2 AM until 2:30 at which time they should be out and only employees remain.

Even if it was a drug deal, what motive would there be for a drug dealer to hide the body and increase the chance of being caught doing so?

Exactly. That's why I don't believe in the "killed over drugs" theory for Brian, or for many of the other cases where it's put forward as a likely scenario.

Don't confuse closing time (2:30 AM) with last call time (2 AM). Brian was last seen 5 minutes before last call, not 5 minutes before closing. Patrons can remain in the bar from 2 AM until 2:30 at which time they should be out and only employees remain.
Here in Michigan, bars usually set their clocks ten minutes ahead, supposedly to make sure that they don't accidentally sell booze after the cut off. For instance, if your watch says it's 2:05, "bar time" would be 2:15. Can anyone clarify whether this bar would have followed a similar protocol?

On a recent Brian thread on another site someone from the area said the Ugly Tuna is due to close down soon. It will be interesting to keep an eye on what happens with the building being that a lot of people believe he's still in there somewhere.

We are currently planning an event in Columbus Ohio for The disappearance of Brian Shaffer! Details of the event will be posted on Twitter on the WheresBrianShaffer page @lookingforBrian Follow the page and share with your friends. Here is hoping 2018 brings us the answers we have been searching for.

KH

We are currently planning an event in Columbus Ohio for The disappearance of Brian Shaffer! Details of the event will be posted on Twitter on the WheresBrianShaffer page @lookingforBrian Follow the page and share with your friends. Here is hoping 2018 brings us the answers we have been searching for.

KH

Welcome to Ws Looking4Brian, delighted to have you here, thanks for the heads up about the event!

KH

There are many of us here who are passionate about Brian’s case and want resolution and justice for whatever happened to him. Thank you for this information! Please keep us updated! :welcome:

Brian's case was listed in the examples in the new article about the Charley Project: https://longreads.com/2018/01/11/the-encylopedia-of-the-missing/

Also, Charley Project updated their way they do links. Here's his updated link: http://charleyproject.org/case/brian-randall-shaffer

Thanks for posting this Rats!
From your link..
: https://longreads.com/2018/01/11/the...f-the-missing/
Browsing the site’s case files, I’m struck by the eerie randomness of the disappearances; how easily missing people can stay missing, even in an age of smartphones, GPS tracking, surveillance, and almost constant contact online. The stories rattle some primitive part of our brain, one where the world is bigger, more mysterious, and more inexplicable than our daily grind suggests. The Charley Project reminds us it’s still possible to fall off the face of the earth.

Consider the case of Brian Shaffer, whose disappearance from Columbus, Ohio, in 2006 reads like grim Midwest folklore. He was partying with friends at a bar near the Ohio State University campus in the late hours of April 1. He was last seen speaking to two college-aged women inside the bar, but security cameras don’t show him leaving it. His personal belongings disappeared along with him; his cell phone, credit cards, and bank accounts weren’t used after that night. Some speculate that Shaffer’s body is still in the bar, perhaps interred in the walls.

Haven't posted in a while. Thinking of Brian.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive.

Being gang related is certainly possible, but if so, then why hide the body so well??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member