OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I just wanted to let everyone know about a couple things going on in Brian’s honor.

On April 15, 2018 will be The Brian Shaffer March For The Missing In Columbus Ohio. I will be releasing more detail this week after a few details are finalized. You can follow event details on The Brian Shaffer March For The Missing Facebook page or on Twitter @Looking4Brian

The 2nd thing I’m very excited about is a new podcast devoted entirely to Brian. It is called Comeback Podcast and is an investigation into Brian’s disappearance. Not only are there new interviews with LE and PI, Brian’s family, last 2 girls seen talking to Brian, advocates for Brian, and many more; but it will also answer a lot of questions I see asked on this thread about the case. You can follow the Podcast on their Facebook page Comeback or on Twitter @podcastcomeback
I hope you all are as happy as I am to have Brian’s name out in the headlines again!!! Please help get the news of both things out there if ya can 😀

Hello! I just wanted to let everyone know about a couple things going on in Brian’s honor.

On April 15, 2018 will be The Brian Shaffer March For The Missing In Columbus Ohio. I will be releasing more detail this week after a few details are finalized. You can follow event details on The Brian Shaffer March For The Missing Facebook page or on Twitter @Looking4Brian

The 2nd thing I’m very excited about is a new podcast devoted entirely to Brian. It is called Comeback Podcast and is an investigation into Brian’s disappearance. Not only are there new interviews with LE and PI, Brian’s family, last 2 girls seen talking to Brian, advocates for Brian, and many more; but it will also answer a lot of questions I see asked on this thread about the case. You can follow the Podcast on their Facebook page Comeback or on Twitter @podcastcomeback
I hope you all are as happy as I am to have Brian’s name out in the headlines again!!! Please help get the news of both things out there if ya can 
Exciting and positive stuff, thanks for the update!

I hope you all are as happy as I am to have Brian’s name out in the headlines again!!! Please help get the news of both things out there if ya can 

This is such great news, thank you for sharing the information. The march in Brian’s name , how phenomenal. And I’m really looking forward to the podcast with interviews of those you mention. sounds Very interesting.

Being gang related is certainly possible, but if so, then why hide the body so well??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe to avoid any possible implications that the manner of death could bring or to simply hide evidence. I am also thinking that may not have intended to "hide" his body but for some reason, it just hasn't been found. I know, I know that it's a body and it's difficult to hide or get rid of a body, but crazier things have happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

This is my first websleuths post and I'm relatively new to this case (so if there's any evidence contradicting my thoughts then of course let me know!).

Hearing about this case and reading through the other posts on this thread, there's a few things that stood out to me.

Firstly, the majority of theories seem to revolve around how Brian managed to leave the bar undetected by the cameras and/or the guards by the entrance to both the bar and the construction area. My thoughts surrounding this focus primarily on the logistics of this. In order to evade the cameras and notice of the employees and guards, he would, I think, have to have at least some awareness of the location of the cameras or - at least - have thought about his exit prior to carrying it out. I don't think carrying out a stealthy exit so successfully that no trace of him has ever been found even after this long is something he could have just done on a whim. Add to this that he'd been drinking for several hours - I know for certain that I'm hardly discreet when even just tipsy. Even if he was just tipsy and not very drunk, to be able to exit in this way would be a real achievement.

This leads me onto my next point: intention. Why would he go through all this trouble to leave the bar unnoticed by the cameras or literally anyone else? I don't buy into the theory that he was attempting to leave voluntarily, to start a new life or whatever else. While of course his mother had died not long before his disappearance, I find the idea of this as a motivation for him leaving his father, brother and girlfriend behind without even a goodbye entirely implausible. Add to that his message about looking forward to their trip to Miami to his girlfriend on the night of his disappearance (if you're intending on upping and leaving, why bother sending that message?) and the rumours that he was intending on proposing to her, plus the fact that he had invited his brother to go out with him and his friends that night (again, why would you do that if you were using this trip out to stage your disappearance), it seems very unlikely this was a planned and voluntary disappearance. If you were intending on doing this, why would you do it from a bar in the first place? Why not just leave?

If you look at some theories with this in mind, then, why would he, for example, change his clothes and attempt to mask his identity in order to leave the bar? Even if the police hadn't gone through the footage with a fine toothed comb, it suggests a level of pre-planning and intent that I simply do not believe is there. Why, also, would he sneak out and exit the building by jumping from a nearby balcony (and how would someone who had been drinking for several hours - or even a sober person - manage this unnoticed in an area where there are bound to have been plenty of witnesses?). I also do not believe he was able to gain access to the construction area. As other posters have shown, the entrance is within sight of the police stationed at the front and was closed with a chain or possibly just locked, I doubt he would have been able to access it at all, let alone unnoticed. And again: why bother? There's also mention of a staff exit. I've never been to this specific bar but from bars I've been to in the past, staff exits aren't actually particularly easy to just sneak out of, unseen. Assuming at least one staff members saw this attempt to exit from the staff entrance, why wouldn't they have stopped him - why would they have just let him go through? Why didn't they tell the police that they saw him exit through that exit? I just do not find it plausible that he exited in that way. There are endless theories about how he could have evaded the cameras and notice by the staff and guards but the question of why is still largely unanswered? What would be the point?

Onto Clint. I do not personally believe Clint had anything to do with Brian's disappearance. I don't find him lawyering up to be suspicious at all, and personally think that the assumption of guilt being linked to lawyering up to be a very bad thing. Anyone being interviewed or investigated by police has legal rights that the police are simply not guaranteed to uphold and I know for sure that I do not trust myself to be fully aware of or able to assert my legal rights in such a situation. Receiving legal assistance in a situation like this or any criminal investigation, regardless of guilt, is frankly just a smart thing to do. Refusing a polygraph too is not an admission of guilt. I know I'd probably fail a polygraph due to various anxiety disorders resulting in me displaying the 'deception' responses regardless of whether I am, in fact, being deceptive. Polygraphs are limited in their investigative uses as is. I personally find it more likely that Clint was involved in something else shady (maybe drug related) and he didn't want the police prying too closely into his private life and discovering whatever it was. Of course, he could have been involved. The problem with this case is that we just don't know. But I believe he wasn't.

Overall, my thoughts can be summed up as follows:

1. Brian did not leave the bar that night. Something happened to him inside it, whether foul play or a tragic accident that was covered up. Ultimately, he is dead.
2. He had not intended on disappearing.
3. Clint may be involved in something shady, but he was not involved in whatever happened to Brian.
4. The key to solving this case will be a tip from someone who was involved or someone close to someone who was involved or the finding of his remains.

Reactions: DRT
Hi everyone,

This is my first websleuths post and I'm relatively new to this case (so if there's any evidence contradicting my thoughts then of course let me know!).

Hearing about this case and reading through the other posts on this thread, there's a few things that stood out to me.

Firstly, the majority of theories seem to revolve around how Brian managed to leave the bar undetected by the cameras and/or the guards by the entrance to both the bar and the construction area. My thoughts surrounding this focus primarily on the logistics of this. In order to evade the cameras and notice of the employees and guards, he would, I think, have to have at least some awareness of the location of the cameras or - at least - have thought about his exit prior to carrying it out. I don't think carrying out a stealthy exit so successfully that no trace of him has ever been found even after this long is something he could have just done on a whim. Add to this that he'd been drinking for several hours - I know for certain that I'm hardly discreet when even just tipsy. Even if he was just tipsy and not very drunk, to be able to exit in this way would be a real achievement.

This leads me onto my next point: intention. Why would he go through all this trouble to leave the bar unnoticed by the cameras or literally anyone else? I don't buy into the theory that he was attempting to leave voluntarily, to start a new life or whatever else. While of course his mother had died not long before his disappearance, I find the idea of this as a motivation for him leaving his father, brother and girlfriend behind without even a goodbye entirely implausible. Add to that his message about looking forward to their trip to Miami to his girlfriend on the night of his disappearance (if you're intending on upping and leaving, why bother sending that message?) and the rumours that he was intending on proposing to her, plus the fact that he had invited his brother to go out with him and his friends that night (again, why would you do that if you were using this trip out to stage your disappearance), it seems very unlikely this was a planned and voluntary disappearance. If you were intending on doing this, why would you do it from a bar in the first place? Why not just leave?

If you look at some theories with this in mind, then, why would he, for example, change his clothes and attempt to mask his identity in order to leave the bar? Even if the police hadn't gone through the footage with a fine toothed comb, it suggests a level of pre-planning and intent that I simply do not believe is there. Why, also, would he sneak out and exit the building by jumping from a nearby balcony (and how would someone who had been drinking for several hours - or even a sober person - manage this unnoticed in an area where there are bound to have been plenty of witnesses?). I also do not believe he was able to gain access to the construction area. As other posters have shown, the entrance is within sight of the police stationed at the front and was closed with a chain or possibly just locked, I doubt he would have been able to access it at all, let alone unnoticed. And again: why bother? There's also mention of a staff exit. I've never been to this specific bar but from bars I've been to in the past, staff exits aren't actually particularly easy to just sneak out of, unseen. Assuming at least one staff members saw this attempt to exit from the staff entrance, why wouldn't they have stopped him - why would they have just let him go through? Why didn't they tell the police that they saw him exit through that exit? I just do not find it plausible that he exited in that way. There are endless theories about how he could have evaded the cameras and notice by the staff and guards but the question of why is still largely unanswered? What would be the point?

Onto Clint. I do not personally believe Clint had anything to do with Brian's disappearance. I don't find him lawyering up to be suspicious at all, and personally think that the assumption of guilt being linked to lawyering up to be a very bad thing. Anyone being interviewed or investigated by police has legal rights that the police are simply not guaranteed to uphold and I know for sure that I do not trust myself to be fully aware of or able to assert my legal rights in such a situation. Receiving legal assistance in a situation like this or any criminal investigation, regardless of guilt, is frankly just a smart thing to do. Refusing a polygraph too is not an admission of guilt. I know I'd probably fail a polygraph due to various anxiety disorders resulting in me displaying the 'deception' responses regardless of whether I am, in fact, being deceptive. Polygraphs are limited in their investigative uses as is. I personally find it more likely that Clint was involved in something else shady (maybe drug related) and he didn't want the police prying too closely into his private life and discovering whatever it was. Of course, he could have been involved. The problem with this case is that we just don't know. But I believe he wasn't.

1. Brian did not leave the bar that night. Something happened to him inside it, whether foul play or a tragic accident that was covered up. Ultimately, he is dead.
3. Clint may be involved in something shady, but he was not involved in whatever happened to Brian.
4. The key to solving this case will be a tip from someone who was involved or someone close to someone who was involved or the finding of his remains.
Excellent first post, realgoblin!

I am a long-time lurker who has been following this case for years, and you have given one of the most coherent and logical analyses of the disappearance that I can remember. One thing I would like to add is that we often look at these disappearences ex post facto (i.e. in hindsight) and make extrapolations from that position. Let's say Brian was intent on disappearing- he could try to leave the bar without being seen on camera, but would never know that it had worked perfectly and would take incredible planning and effort (unlikely to succeed after a long night of drinking). Also, why would secretly sneaking out of the bar be any more effective for his purpose than just leaving the bar (on camera, as usual) and just walking away? His place of disappearence would then just be somewhere on the street rather than the bar! The idea that he would take these various factors into account as he was planning a disappearence is a stretch, even supposing leaving his life was his purpose. That being said, I have no idea what happened and still hold onto irrational hope that he is alive somehow.

Also, realgoblin brings up one of the most important issues we face in looking at people involved in crimes/disappearences -lawyering up and lie detectors. Having gone to law school and studied a bit of criminal law (graduating in IP law), I would almost always recommend that anyone being questioned by the police have the assistance of legal counsel. It's your right, it is not a sign of guilt, and it can protect you from difficult situations such as coerced confessions (which we have seen in many wrongful conviction cases). The cops do not have to play fair and are often under pressure to return convictions as well as susceptible to the same cognitive biases we all are (though i am a huge supporter of law enforcement). I would also absolutely recommend that no one take a polygraph test, which are inadmissible in court for the reason that false negatives or positives are possible if not common (I have seen it described as pseudoscience in many disscussions). While this advice may be frustrating to all of us who are pursuing the truth in these cases, it is important to remember that our system is a balancing act between people's rights and the need for discovering the truth, and as it is created by humans is imperfect but the best we have.

Thanks again, realgoblin, for your excellent post! It really made me think !

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

I agree with much of your post, but, If you don’t believe he left the bar, where do you think he is ? TIA

What we know and don’t know about the disappearance of Brian Shaffer
(and why I think he is still alive)​

Brian Shaffer is missing. Yes this seems to be about the only thing that we know for sure.

Brian is still in the building. We don’t know this for sure but we can safely assume that he is not in the building as we have no real reason to think he still is based on searches that included cadaver dogs.

Brian left thebuilding. Most likely yes he did.

Brian did not takethe escalator to leave. According to the police they are 100% sure hedid not leave by the escalator.

Brian said he was going to talk to the band. According to Clint he said this but we can’t be 100% sure that he did. I thought I read an interview by one of the police officers that they talked to the band members and Brian did talk to them but nothing was certain as to what was said.So we can reasonably assume he did.

Brian did not use his cell phone after he went back in the bar. Yes according to his cell phone records he did not use his phone ever again.

Brian was drinking heavily. No we do NOT know this. This is according to Clint who made it a point in an interview that both of them had been drinking many shots of liquor that night at each bar they stopped at.Clint seemed to want people to know that Brian was very drunk.

Unfortunately there are too many questions that we don’t have answers to but I would assume the police either do know or have asked these questions and more. Below are some questions that I would like to know.

How many people were still at the bar when Brian went to talk to the band. My guess is not many. Bands don’t normally play till closing. If Brian did go back to talk to them he may have been going back to finish up a conversation that he had with them earlier but could not finish due to them still playing. They most likely would have been close to leaving by then. Brian being a musician himself this is not something out of the ordinary as far as shooting the breeze with fellow musicians IMO.

Were any of the bouncers and or security still there at this time? Again I have to assume that this place was pretty thinned out by then.

How well known was Brian to the staff at this place? This being somewhat of a campus bar I would think he was a familiar face to a lot of people there. If this was the case, would Brian have been told to leave by the staff while he was talking to the band?

Did Brian know any of the band members? What did they talk about? Did he offer to play with them some night or ask if he could? Did he criticize their music? Did he possibly come off the wrong way and get into a fight?What was the name of the band? Were any of the members in trouble with the law or had been in the past? So did someone in the band kill Brian? Did all of them cover up what happened?

What other exits could Brian have used to exit the building?

When I was there I saw an elevator which was on the other side of the escalators. Also,it is said the movie theaters have their own exits which only makes sense. There was a service entrance and also a way out through a construction site.

I would really like to know how many people were in the bar it being after 2 am. The owner and or employees should be able to give the police a reasonable answer to this question. If there was an altercation how many people would have noticed it?

Where there any kind of cameras inside the bar? I for one did not notice any but this doesn’t mean much since they could be hidden. Cameras could have been added later, especially since this whole thing with Brian.

So we can assume that Brian left the building another way other than the escalators,but how? Did he do so willingly? When he did leave was he conscious or unconscious or possibly dead? If he was dead then he would have had to have been taken out in such a way as not be seen. If that is the case then it was by someone who KNOWS A LOT ABOUT WHERE THE CAMERAS ARE. He would also had to have been concealed. What possible door could he have used to escape from the Ugly Tuna Saloona? Maybe it wasn’t a door at all.

If Brian was taken out after he was dead then when was he taken out? Was it after the bar closed? Was it the next day? Where was his body kept until then?Was he taken out at a later time? If so then someone had to have access to the bar when it was closed, someone with a key. This would possibly explain why an alarm would not sound.

It is of certainty that there are only so many ways to leave the building and that Brian did take one of those options. The one thing that bothers me is that whatever scenario I play in my head it involves most likely more than one person and most likely a few witnessing Brian leaving either dead or alive. Whether it being an accident or murder most people are not going to keep this kind of a secret or even want to especially if they are not involved.

Another thing that bothers me is Clint’s lawyer. He said that he had spoken to one of the detectives involved in Brian’s case and that he was led to believe that Brian was still alive. A lot of times and I know this to be true, lawyers will get some info that most others will not get.Lawyers are involved with the police a lot and I believe that something was said that led Clint’s attorney to believe that Brian is alive. If so then the police have a theory which involves Brian getting out of there on his own and possibly faking his own death.

I have been following this case for years and as I mentioned I have gone to the bar where Brian was last seen. The first thing I noticed and the one thing that stuck in my mind was the stage area. The stage is a built up platform made of wood that is roughly two feet high maybe slightly higher. It had a cloth curtain in front of it and the curtain was slightly to the side exposing some “stuff” underneath. It seemed to be just a storage area possibly for the band that may have contained items that either belonged to them or to the bar like mics and other things. I even said to the person I was with how easy it would be for me to just go over there and crawl underneath.

So I do have a theory that in the scope of things may not carry any more weight than any other theories that are out there, but is a little different from what I have read so far.

Brian was a very smart person obviously. A lot of people way less intelligent than him have run away and for years have not been found. I know it’s hard to believe that he would leave his loved ones but again people have done it and their family members swear that they would never leave like that knowing how much they not only loved them but were loved by others. Mothers have left their husbands and children which seems like a very cruel and heartless thing to do but we can only speculate as to why and unless we can put ourselves in their shoes we will never be able to comprehend doing such a thing.

Brian had expressed wanting to leave his life as he knew it and live on an island somewhere and play music and enjoy a carefree life and this was before his mother had died. The night he went missing he had dinner with his father. He also invited his brother to come out with him. I am willing to guess he did not do this often as his brother even said they had been spending more time together since his mother had passed away. He also told his girlfriend that she should move on.

All of these events IMO are glaring examples of Brian saying goodbye. One last dinner with Dad, one last night out with his brother and one more night out with his best friend Clint. I do think that Brian had this planned and planned well. Nothing about that night was by chance. His mother’s passing was the last straw and he was ready to move on.None of us can assume how he felt and whether he would have not left because he felt an obligation toward the people that he loved. I’m sure Brain loved his Dad and brother and Alexis but he had it in his mind that he was leaving one day anyway and with his mother no longer alive the time was right.

Up until now everyone has been trying to figure out how Brian could have possibly gotten out of the building through a door that has cameras at every entrance without being seen but there is another way out of the bar that no one has mentioned. A way out that I noticed pretty quickly while I was there. A way out that is very easy and one that Brian could have used without being detected! If you go out onto the patio area that is outside to the right of the bar right below the railing there is a slanted roof that is attached to the Mexican restaurant.One could climb over the railing and easily jump onto this roof and walk down to the end and jump off onto the street below.

I think when Brian walked back into the bar he waited till no one was looking and slipped under the stage area and waited. Once the place was closed he simply walked out on his own. I think he walked out onto the deck and jumped over the railing onto the roof and he would not have been seen. There would be no reason for the police to check that area even if there were cameras. I walked right past that Mexican restaurant on my way into the bottom entrance to the bar and did not notice any cameras facing the roof of that restaurant. Remember that Brian had two shirts on that night, one long sleeve and one short. He could have easily taken one off and looked totally different so if he was spotted on camera he would not be noticed. It would have been easy for him to carry a ball cap too to make him even harder to identify.Remember that his family was shown some videos of people and they said that they couldn’t be sure that Brian was not in the videos they watched.

From here I’m betting Brian hailed a cab and grabbed a bag he had ready. It wouldn’t be too hard to have some clothes, cash and other items he needed in a duffel bag ready to go. Alexis said that there was nothing missing from his apartment and having a bag ready would explain why. I think he had his belongings stashed in a public locker and once he grabbed his bag he got another taxi and from there he was gone. The US Virgin Islands do not require a passport. All he would have needed back then would be his ID to present to fly. With his Dad now gone and his ex girl friend married with children I don’t ever see him having a need to come out to prove he is alive if he did leave on his own. It is not illegal for an adult to leave without notifying anyone.

So there you have it, my theory as to what happened to Brian Shaffer. I’m sure most won’t agree and that is OK. We all have our thoughts about what happened to Brian. I for one would like to believe that he is still alive and has found his sanity after having endured what he has. If he is alive maybe one day he will let his brother know but with his Dad passing like he did I’m not sure if his guilt would allow him.Maybe Brian has his own band and is living in a small resort area playing Jimmy Buffet music with the occasional Pearl Jam mixed in.

Welcome to Ws embufum, great post!

:welcome:

He also told his girlfriend that she should move on.
Can you cite a source for that particular statement?

I believe that Brian probably died in the bar that night, but your theory can't be dismissed.

The biggest question is, why would Brian choose to disappear in a way that would attract so much attention? Why would he care whether the cameras captured him leaving the bar? That part doesn't add up for me.

I'm also extremely suspicious of the fact that Clint wouldn't submit to a polygraph. I think it's possible that Brian simply left the bar in a blind spot of the camera and then re-connected with Clint. There could have been an altercation over Clint's unrequited feelings for Brian, so the Ugly Tuna may be a red herring.

I believe that Brian probably died in the bar that night, but your theory can't be dismissed.

The biggest question is, why would Brian choose to disappear in a way that would attract so much attention? Why would he care whether the cameras captured him leaving the bar? That part doesn't add up for me.

I'm also extremely suspicious of the fact that Clint wouldn't submit to a polygraph. I think it's possible that Brian simply left the bar in a blind spot of the camera and then re-connected with Clint. There could have been an altercation over Clint's unrequited feelings for Brian, so the ugly tuna may be a red herring.

Not off hand but I recall an interview with Alexis where she says that he was depressed about his mother's death and mentioned she should move on and then she says that things got better and they planned a trip together for the Monday after he went missing. According to the police every exit was on camera and none of them showed Brian leaving. I agree that if Brian was not concerned about anyone seeing him then he should have just used the escalator but he didn't.

IF Brian did die on the bar IMO there is no doubt many people would have witnessed it. One of the things that I noticed is how small the place really is. I'm sure you can pack a bunch of people in there but it's not like you can hide (unless you crawl under the stage). No blood or anything of that nature was found and the dogs didn't react to a body.

So are you suggesting the Clint was gay? Reason I ask is because of your comment about Clint's feelings for Brian?

I do agree that if Brian did feel like disappearing he could have just left the bar but maybe he didn't want to be seen by anyone or maybe by Clint? The fact is he wasn't seen leaving and that's just crazy. For some reason at the end of the night he did make it a point of separating from Clint. According to the police everyone who entered the bar was accounted for leaving. So if someone killed him then after killing him they hid the body and was seen leaving down the escalator. This to me seems pretty unlikely if not impossible.

Love all the thoughts and participation on everyone's part! It good to hear new voices and have a fresh set of eyes on this case with variety of thought and consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm also extremely suspicious of the fact that Clint wouldn't submit to a polygraph. I think it's possible that Brian simply left the bar in a blind spot of the camera and then re-connected with Clint. There could have been an altercation over Clint's unrequited feelings for Brian, so the Ugly Tuna may be a red herring.

He did tell her that he thought she should move on. It’s here in the thread, backed up by the links to the Ohio dispatch article, etc.

What we know and don’t know about the disappearance of Brian Shaffer
(and why I think he is still alive)​

Brian Shaffer is missing. Yes this seems to be about the only thing that we know for sure.

Brian is still in the building. We don’t know this for sure but we can safely assume that he is not in the building as we have no real reason to think he still is based on searches that included cadaver dogs.

Brian left thebuilding. Most likely yes he did.

Brian did not takethe escalator to leave. According to the police they are 100% sure hedid not leave by the escalator.

Brian said he was going to talk to the band. According to Clint he said this but we can’t be 100% sure that he did. I thought I read an interview by one of the police officers that they talked to the band members and Brian did talk to them but nothing was certain as to what was said.So we can reasonably assume he did.

Brian did not use his cell phone after he went back in the bar. Yes according to his cell phone records he did not use his phone ever again.

Brian was drinking heavily. No we do NOT know this. This is according to Clint who made it a point in an interview that both of them had been drinking many shots of liquor that night at each bar they stopped at.Clint seemed to want people to know that Brian was very drunk.

Unfortunately there are too many questions that we don’t have answers to but I would assume the police either do know or have asked these questions and more. Below are some questions that I would like to know.

How many people were still at the bar when Brian went to talk to the band. My guess is not many. Bands don’t normally play till closing. If Brian did go back to talk to them he may have been going back to finish up a conversation that he had with them earlier but could not finish due to them still playing. They most likely would have been close to leaving by then. Brian being a musician himself this is not something out of the ordinary as far as shooting the breeze with fellow musicians IMO.

Were any of the bouncers and or security still there at this time? Again I have to assume that this place was pretty thinned out by then.

How well known was Brian to the staff at this place? This being somewhat of a campus bar I would think he was a familiar face to a lot of people there. If this was the case, would Brian have been told to leave by the staff while he was talking to the band?

Did Brian know any of the band members? What did they talk about? Did he offer to play with them some night or ask if he could? Did he criticize their music? Did he possibly come off the wrong way and get into a fight?What was the name of the band? Were any of the members in trouble with the law or had been in the past? So did someone in the band kill Brian? Did all of them cover up what happened?

What other exits could Brian have used to exit the building?

When I was there I saw an elevator which was on the other side of the escalators. Also,it is said the movie theaters have their own exits which only makes sense. There was a service entrance and also a way out through a construction site.

I would really like to know how many people were in the bar it being after 2 am. The owner and or employees should be able to give the police a reasonable answer to this question. If there was an altercation how many people would have noticed it?

Where there any kind of cameras inside the bar? I for one did not notice any but this doesn’t mean much since they could be hidden. Cameras could have been added later, especially since this whole thing with Brian.

So we can assume that Brian left the building another way other than the escalators,but how? Did he do so willingly? When he did leave was he conscious or unconscious or possibly dead? If he was dead then he would have had to have been taken out in such a way as not be seen. If that is the case then it was by someone who KNOWS A LOT ABOUT WHERE THE CAMERAS ARE. He would also had to have been concealed. What possible door could he have used to escape from the Ugly Tuna Saloona? Maybe it wasn’t a door at all.

If Brian was taken out after he was dead then when was he taken out? Was it after the bar closed? Was it the next day? Where was his body kept until then?Was he taken out at a later time? If so then someone had to have access to the bar when it was closed, someone with a key. This would possibly explain why an alarm would not sound.

It is of certainty that there are only so many ways to leave the building and that Brian did take one of those options. The one thing that bothers me is that whatever scenario I play in my head it involves most likely more than one person and most likely a few witnessing Brian leaving either dead or alive. Whether it being an accident or murder most people are not going to keep this kind of a secret or even want to especially if they are not involved.

Another thing that bothers me is Clint’s lawyer. He said that he had spoken to one of the detectives involved in Brian’s case and that he was led to believe that Brian was still alive. A lot of times and I know this to be true, lawyers will get some info that most others will not get.Lawyers are involved with the police a lot and I believe that something was said that led Clint’s attorney to believe that Brian is alive. If so then the police have a theory which involves Brian getting out of there on his own and possibly faking his own death.

I have been following this case for years and as I mentioned I have gone to the bar where Brian was last seen. The first thing I noticed and the one thing that stuck in my mind was the stage area. The stage is a built up platform made of wood that is roughly two feet high maybe slightly higher. It had a cloth curtain in front of it and the curtain was slightly to the side exposing some “stuff” underneath. It seemed to be just a storage area possibly for the band that may have contained items that either belonged to them or to the bar like mics and other things. I even said to the person I was with how easy it would be for me to just go over there and crawl underneath.

So I do have a theory that in the scope of things may not carry any more weight than any other theories that are out there, but is a little different from what I have read so far.

Brian was a very smart person obviously. A lot of people way less intelligent than him have run away and for years have not been found. I know it’s hard to believe that he would leave his loved ones but again people have done it and their family members swear that they would never leave like that knowing how much they not only loved them but were loved by others. Mothers have left their husbands and children which seems like a very cruel and heartless thing to do but we can only speculate as to why and unless we can put ourselves in their shoes we will never be able to comprehend doing such a thing.

Brian had expressed wanting to leave his life as he knew it and live on an island somewhere and play music and enjoy a carefree life and this was before his mother had died. The night he went missing he had dinner with his father. He also invited his brother to come out with him. I am willing to guess he did not do this often as his brother even said they had been spending more time together since his mother had passed away. He also told his girlfriend that she should move on.

All of these events IMO are glaring examples of Brian saying goodbye. One last dinner with Dad, one last night out with his brother and one more night out with his best friend Clint. I do think that Brian had this planned and planned well. Nothing about that night was by chance. His mother’s passing was the last straw and he was ready to move on.None of us can assume how he felt and whether he would have not left because he felt an obligation toward the people that he loved. I’m sure Brain loved his Dad and brother and Alexis but he had it in his mind that he was leaving one day anyway and with his mother no longer alive the time was right.

Up until now everyone has been trying to figure out how Brian could have possibly gotten out of the building through a door that has cameras at every entrance without being seen but there is another way out of the bar that no one has mentioned. A way out that I noticed pretty quickly while I was there. A way out that is very easy and one that Brian could have used without being detected! If you go out onto the patio area that is outside to the right of the bar right below the railing there is a slanted roof that is attached to the Mexican restaurant.One could climb over the railing and easily jump onto this roof and walk down to the end and jump off onto the street below.

I think when Brian walked back into the bar he waited till no one was looking and slipped under the stage area and waited. Once the place was closed he simply walked out on his own. I think he walked out onto the deck and jumped over the railing onto the roof and he would not have been seen. There would be no reason for the police to check that area even if there were cameras. I walked right past that Mexican restaurant on my way into the bottom entrance to the bar and did not notice any cameras facing the roof of that restaurant. Remember that Brian had two shirts on that night, one long sleeve and one short. He could have easily taken one off and looked totally different so if he was spotted on camera he would not be noticed. It would have been easy for him to carry a ball cap too to make him even harder to identify.Remember that his family was shown some videos of people and they said that they couldn’t be sure that Brian was not in the videos they watched.

From here I’m betting Brian hailed a cab and grabbed a bag he had ready. It wouldn’t be too hard to have some clothes, cash and other items he needed in a duffel bag ready to go. Alexis said that there was nothing missing from his apartment and having a bag ready would explain why. I think he had his belongings stashed in a public locker and once he grabbed his bag he got another taxi and from there he was gone. The US Virgin Islands do not require a passport. All he would have needed back then would be his ID to present to fly. With his Dad now gone and his ex girl friend married with children I don’t ever see him having a need to come out to prove he is alive if he did leave on his own. It is not illegal for an adult to leave without notifying anyone.

So there you have it, my theory as to what happened to Brian Shaffer. I’m sure most won’t agree and that is OK. We all have our thoughts about what happened to Brian. I for one would like to believe that he is still alive and has found his sanity after having endured what he has. If he is alive maybe one day he will let his brother know but with his Dad passing like he did I’m not sure if his guilt would allow him.Maybe Brian has his own band and is living in a small resort area playing Jimmy Buffet music with the occasional Pearl Jam mixed in.

Thank you for your post, I’ve had many of these same thoughts. And welcome to Brian’s thread! :welcome:

I'm sure this s old news but I've never heard an explanation for it

From Brian's Myspace page:

Male
27 years old
COLUMBUS, OHIO
United States

Last Login: 4/12/2006

Not off hand but I recall an interview with Alexis where she says that he was depressed about his mother's death and mentioned she should move on and then she says that things got better and they planned a trip together for the Monday after he went missing. According to the police every exit was on camera and none of them showed Brian leaving. I agree that if Brian was not concerned about anyone seeing him then he should have just used the escalator but he didn't.

IF Brian did die on the bar IMO there is no doubt many people would have witnessed it. One of the things that I noticed is how small the place really is. I'm sure you can pack a bunch of people in there but it's not like you can hide (unless you crawl under the stage). No blood or anything of that nature was found and the dogs didn't react to a body.

So are you suggesting the Clint was gay? Reason I ask is because of your comment about Clint's feelings for Brian?

I do agree that if Brian did feel like disappearing he could have just left the bar but maybe he didn't want to be seen by anyone or maybe by Clint? The fact is he wasn't seen leaving and that's just crazy. For some reason at the end of the night he did make it a point of separating from Clint. According to the police everyone who entered the bar was accounted for leaving. So if someone killed him then after killing him they hid the body and was seen leaving down the escalator. This to me seems pretty unlikely if not impossible.

BBM
One thing that isn't clear is how they accounted for everyone. Did they ask people to identify themselves? People would have had their backs to the camera when leaving. I haven't seen any sources that says they made a positive ID on the video footage of every patron, employee, and band member who had entered the building since the first employee unlocked it that day. The language is always much more vague than that.

My understanding was that the cameras panned the entrances; a moving camera will have temporary blind spots at the sides.

Also, the freight elevator allowed egress from the building without being captured on an Ugly Tuna security camera; it would supposedly have been difficult to avoid being seen on security footage from surrounding businesses, but I haven't seen any kind of scientific analysis of blind spots.

I'm not suggesting that Brian died in a public area of the bar; there may be a back room or two (a manager's office, a storage room, etc.). What if an employee caught Brian making out with the employee's girlfriend in such a spot after the rest of the patrons had left?

What if a drunken Brian locked himself in the walk-in freezer or died of alcohol poisoning in a bathroom stall and the owner found him in the morning and got rid of the body in order to avoid civil liability? Any manager or employee could have gotten Brian's body out of the bar in a trash can or other container easily enough.

As for Clint, yes, other posts upstream implied that he may have been gay or bisexual and may have had feelings for Brian.

I'm sure this s old news but I've never heard an explanation for it

From Brian's Myspace page:

Male
27 years old
COLUMBUS, OHIO
United States

Last Login: 4/12/2006

Alexis stated that she found Brian's password written down and went on his myspace to check messages for possible clues. Nothing of interest was found though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!