OH - Jennifer Nelson, 29, murdered in her Dayton home, 2 Jan 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anybody know the name of the woman (someone's sister) that appeared on the Today Show yesterday with Eddie Nelson??

Larkin, The husband is always suspect, true. There could turn out to be more to this story. So far I'm not seeing it here. My response was not about that, it was because you were issuing us caution in demonizing Charlie, while you have been demonizing the husband, who by all accounts (so far) is the victim here. I feel it's unfair to chastise us for doing something you, yourself do. That's all I was saying, no offense intended.

The above opinions you posted, IMO, are not brutal given the crime Charlie has CONFESSED to.

Suzi, do tell us what the confession says since you seem to know what it contains. ;) Local reporters say he has confessed to his "role," but they have been very cagey about what that role is. Further, please give me an instance in which I have "demonized" the father, or made even a slightly derogatory comment about him, as certainly no such thing was ever intended. As far as I am aware I have only reported what he has said or done or posted and nothing more.

I believe in justice, and it is not always swift. Many people (not here necessarily, but at large) set themselves up metaphorically as judge, jury and executioner. It's a good thing that in the real world, generally cooler heads prevail. No one was being chastised by me, only cautioned. They're not the same thing, and as you pointed out, no offense is intended.

After reading the article where it says that J. Nelson fought for her life, maybe the black eye is a result of that.

Kat, the papers here (in Dayton) have said that Jenny went after "her attacker" with a knife after he kicked the door in. They have very carefully not stated that the attacker was Myers. Apparently she stabbed her attacker with the knife, and the attacker grabbed his shotgun (not the usual weapon for robbery) and shot her twice in the abdomen.

In the Columbus paper, Charlie Myers roommate said that Charlie said (in court this would be hearsay) that he (Myers) was stabbed on the way home from the bus, but there is no other confirmation of Myers having a wound. (And he may have one that no one from LE is making comment on.)

She might have inflicted the black eye, or perhaps he got in a scuffle with someone else. Perhaps time will tell. I'm not saying that Charlie Myers is innocent... certainly evidence is stacking up against him. I'm not rushing to judgment because I know that reporters are carefully NOT saying things that they would be ordinarily reporting on, and that's interesting to me.

This article: http://dispatch.com/live/content/lo...yers.ART_ART_01-06-09_A1_3MCEC26.html?sid=101 is pretty clear about the stabbing...

"A Dayton-area mother stabbed her attacker in the back before the man shot her dead, robbed her house, kidnapped her 4-year-old and abandoned the child at a highway rest area."

"One of Myers' roommates had told their landlord that afternoon that Myers had been stabbed in the back while walking home from the bus at 3 a.m. Saturday."

So!! We have room mates, that probably explains the reference to 3 men questioned.

ETA: doesn't the article's reference to "investigators" VS "source" give it more credence?

This article: http://dispatch.com/live/content/lo...yers.ART_ART_01-06-09_A1_3MCEC26.html?sid=101 is pretty clear about the stabbing...

ETA: doesn't the article's reference to "investigators" VS "source" give it more credence?

Colo, from a purely journalistic standpoint, that particular article could get a reporter fired at any number of papers. It is full of statements that are not supported by fact or attributed to anyone and could not have been known or observed by the writer or reporter first hand. While they bandy about the word "investigators," nary a one is quoted... not even the LE agency, so nothing is verifiable. Further, there are no quotes from the FBI or Montgomery County Sheriff's office, which are the offices in charge. Just a quote from the mother in law and the landlord, which was pure hearsay. The fact that TWO writers contributed to it makes you wonder what kind of journalistic standards they have at the Dispatch. The Dayton Daily News is not exactly a beacon of journalistic integrity, but even they do better than that. ;)

Kat, the papers here (in Dayton) have said that Jenny went after "her attacker" with a knife after he kicked the door in. They have very carefully not stated that the attacker was Myers. . . . I'm not rushing to judgment because I know that reporters are carefully NOT saying things that they would be ordinarily reporting on, and that's interesting to me.

From the Dayton Daily News:
After killing Nelson, who was home alone with her son, Myers took the boy and later dropped him off at a rest stop near Springfield, where the boy told a Maryland couple who found him, "Somebody killed my mom."
http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2009/01/05/ddn010509nelsonsideweb.html

A man arrested in the slaying of a young mother had her cell phone in his apartment when investigators came to question him, court documents show.
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20090106/UPDATES01/90106022

I don't know who made the call to Myers' cell phone, but Jennifer's cell phone was in Myers' possession.

I'd imagine he called himself, to get her number. I know my cell # doesn't show up anywhere on my phone, you'd have to have me give it to you or call you to get the number.

I'd imagine he called himself, to get her number. I know my cell # doesn't show up anywhere on my phone, you'd have to have me give it to you or call you to get the number.

Why would he need her number? That's weird. Do you think he planned on using it for awhile and giving the number to other people so they could call him on it? I can't think of another reason....

Either something really strange is going on or Charles Myers may be the dumbest dude in the universe.

We should know soon what the charges are:

http://www.whiotv.com/news/18422374/detail.html

Prosecutors are meeting today to discuss what charges their suspect will face in the murder of a Harrison Twp. mother in front of her 4-year-old son.

Police detectives are meeting with a triple-panel of prosecutors at this hour. They are discussing several charges that could be filed against Charlie Myers, 22, of Columbus.

We should know soon what the charges are:

http://www.whiotv.com/news/18422374/detail.html

Prosecutors are meeting today to discuss what charges their suspect will face in the murder of a Harrison Twp. mother in front of her 4-year-old son.

Police detectives are meeting with a triple-panel of prosecutors at this hour. They are discussing several charges that could be filed against Charlie Myers, 22, of Columbus.

Oh my....did you notice this (from that article SuziQ):

"Her little boy was then allegedly kidnapped and left unharmed at a Madison County rest stop."

First time I have seen it referred to that way.

Weirder and weirder....

There is something that's just not right about what we know so far, I agree with the some of the other posters.

The reason I think it's not setting right with me right now is that this crime seems to have involved quite a bit of planning. Do you think?

1.Steal the car and hide it for approximately two weeks
2. Use the car to drive to the residence of the the car owner
3. Enter the home when the male that resides there isn't home
4. Steal yet another car for the trip home.

What am I missing? This just seems so far fetched for one person. I know that C. Myers has a record but how quickly do criminals graduate from B&E's to aggravated murder and kidnapping?

Me too Kat, right behind you....

Do you know any details about where her family lived?

Here is the garage: http://www.osu.edu/map/building.php?building=288

Click the Google map.

I can tell you one thing, it was very convenient to Myers' house (http://airamerica.com/full_story/125029304 : "Myers was one of three people investigators took from a McMillen Avenue address, just north of King Avenue"

myersApt.png

I am very familiar with that garage, since my graduate program is housed in the building right next to it. I went in and out of that garage daily for over a year, and would often go to my car late at night when I was working on my thesis. It's well lit and I generally felt safe. I'm actually quite surprised to learn that a car was stolen from there, since there are a number of surface lots in other areas on the campus that would have been easier to access, and are located in lower-traffic areas (the garage is right on High Street, which is a main roadway that runs on the eastern edge of the campus). If the car theft was truly random, it makes me wonder if the thief were going through the garage looking for unlocked cars to steal stuff from, found the keys and decided to steal the car. Otherwise, it seems too coincidental that the thief happened to find the one car in the garage with all that stuff left inside, including keys. Plus, the only ways in and out of the garage are to drive right by one of two pay booths. Typically the "arm" barriers are up on the weekends and over school breaks and people can park for free, but if I were a car thief I would be worried about cameras over the two booths. There are much easier places to steal cars from, even in the immediate area.

Their concert was at Newport Music Hall, which is pretty much right across the street. The fact that it was a metal concert may explain why the wallet, etc were left behind - to keep them from falling out of pockets, particularly if they were planning on dancing. Many times when I go to concerts, bars, etc, I will take only the essentials (ID, cash, sometimes debit card) in my pocket and leave the rest in my car - though typically hidden so as not to provoke thieves.

And btw, the garage is actually not that close to the house on McMillan - about a 5-10 min. drive, and a bit of a hike on foot, particularly in the cold.

Also, now that we know where the crime occurred and where C. Myers lived...I'm going to go try and figure out where the rest stop is where W. Nelson was found. I'm curious to see how that looks on a map.

I am very familiar with that garage, since my graduate program is housed in the building right next to it. I went in and out of that garage daily for over a year, and would often go to my car late at night when I was working on my thesis. It's well lit and I generally felt safe. I'm actually quite surprised to learn that a car was stolen from there, since there are a number of surface lots in other areas on the campus that would have been easier to access, and are located in lower-traffic areas (the garage is right on High Street, which is a main roadway that runs on the eastern edge of the campus). If the car theft was truly random, it makes me wonder if the thief were going through the garage looking for unlocked cars to steal stuff from, found the keys and decided to steal the car. Otherwise, it seems too coincidental that the thief happened to find the one car in the garage with all that stuff left inside, including keys. Plus, the only ways in and out of the garage are to drive right by one of two pay booths. Typically the "arm" barriers are up on the weekends and over school breaks and people can park for free, but if I were a car thief I would be worried about cameras over the two booths. There are much easier places to steal cars from, even in the immediate area.

Their concert was at Newport Music Hall, which is pretty much right across the street. The fact that it was a metal concert may explain why the wallet, etc were left behind - to keep them from falling out of pockets, particularly if they were planning on dancing. Many times when I go to concerts, bars, etc, I will take only the essentials (ID, cash, sometimes debit card) in my pocket and leave the rest in my car - though typically hidden so as not to provoke thieves.

And btw, the garage is actually not that close to the house on McMillan - about a 5-10 min. drive, and a bit of a hike on foot, particularly in the cold.

It was reported that the car was stolen on 17 DEC 2008. That date was on a Wednesday. So this would have been stolen during the week.

Thanks for sharing your own personal experiences with this garage:)

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/co...009/01/06/stolen_car_used_in_womans_murd.html

"HARRISON TWP., Montgomery County - The 1999 Honda authorities believe Charlie Myers drove from Columbus to Jenny Nelson’s home on Friday, Jan. 2, was left unlocked with the keys inside when it was stolen from an Ohio State University parking lot on Dec. 17."

Oh, oh...now I am really suspicious!!

They may have been more comfortable since it was a garage - maybe they thought it would be safer? I have been guilty in the past of leaving my keys in a "hidden" place in my car - such as the glovebox - in what I considered to be a safe location, while I went running, just so I wouldn't have to carry the keys with me. Stupid, I know. Because it was a concert, they may have stripped their pockets to what they considered the essentials and just left the rest behind. Smart? Definitely not, but I don't see it as suspicious either, unless someone can prove a connection between the accused and the husband.

Steadfast, both of the pieces you cited are from yesterday. Today's they keep referencing "his role" .... and a source inside the active media here has made some interesting observations about the developing story. That's as much as I can say, sorry.

*My apologies for one post appearing six times. Some gremlin in the works.*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melavista21
Back