Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking to get him sobered up before he had to drive home. I used to do this back in my bar days.

The fact that he never came back makes me believe he was distracted on the way to the bar by someone there or a phone call.

I wonder if police were able to get any cell pings from his phone?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah I tend to think the glass of water is maybe a sober up thing... JMO Marking my spot. x

I think there is one photo where he definitely resembles Brian Shaffer, but then when I see others, I do not seem the resemblance as much.

I agree 100%. It seems with the Arnold Classic this would be a bigger news story and nearly impossible for him to vanish. Unfortunately I believe they know what happened and haven't released the info but my gut instinct from the beginning was suicide.

I think there is one photo where he definitely resembles Brian Shaffer, but then when I see others, I do not seem the resemblance as much.

I do see a lot online who say he does, and then those who know him say he doesn't. Having personal recognition of someone can alter how you see them, though. Know what I mean? I'm sure I see Brian differently than how those who know him do as well.

I agree 100%. It seems with the Arnold Classic this would be a bigger news story and nearly impossible for him to vanish. Unfortunately I believe they know what happened and haven't released the info but my gut instinct from the beginning was suicide.

I'm sure that angle has been explored, but I'd like to think that as with most suicides, they are found fairly quickly in a familiar place. Considering how close he was to his aunt, I would hate to think that he would kill himself AND do it in a place where he would go undiscovered for so long.

There's literally thousands of possibilities and there's just so little to go on. No witnesses, no evidence found (clothing, etc), just nothing. He may as well have vaporized in that bar, that's how bizarre it is that there seems to be absolutely nothing to give even the faintest idea of what happened to Joey. That's what makes it so frustrating. People don't vanish from a crowded place in an urban setting where people were everywhere - inside, outside....Short North was hardly deserted that night, it was a Friday night and the weather was very mild considering the season.

Just got home from walking the route Joey likely would have taken from Union back to where his car was parked. People everywhere - dog walkers, joggers, people walking to the Blue Jackets game. If there was something to be found, I think it would have been found by now.That coupled with "I'm driving" makes me think he left the area that night. How and why who knows.

Just got home from walking the route Joey likely would have taken from Union back to where his car was parked. People everywhere - dog walkers, joggers, people walking to the Blue Jackets game. If there was something to be found, I think it would have been found by now.That coupled with "I'm driving" makes me think he left the area that night. How and why who knows.

Thinking he most def hopped in the car with someone....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, I've been following websleuths for awhile but this is my first time commenting. I'm just so drawn to this case, no idea why- I didn't know Joey, but his disappearance is just so odd.

I think it's very possible he was in a car when he answered the phone- but it'd be nice to know if there was more said. Like did he just answer say "I'm driving" and hang right up- or was there more....I think even an "I'll call you later" could give some indication here. While looking back I did some pretty dangerous things when I was younger now at 26 (same age as Joey) I have a little more hesitation before I participate in such things- I'm leading at, I don't think he would have just willingly gotten into a car without telling his cousin where he was going. There has to be more to the story that we're not hearing. Maybe Stacey told him something he didn't like hearing (not blaming her just saying maybe something she said upset him- not necessarily anything she herself did)- and he just needed to walk away. If he had been on these apps for awhile and had been having conversations with people and not meeting them face to face (I think I read one of the comments here someone had talked to him but never met him) it makes me think he wouldn't just get into a car or go anywhere with anyone he necessarily recognized through the apps/websites.

I've been driving through the short north a lot lately and I couldn't help but notice there are cameras outside of a good number of the buildings! I really hope that cpd has requested the footage from them- time is an issue and I know a lot of businesses that don't keep recordings long especially going on 3 weeks. Also I agree with other commenters- I think this needs national coverage, just from
The Arnold being in town that weekend. Is there anything we can do to get this more media attention? I've hardly seen anything on fb lately about him- and I live just a few miles away, I imagine people hundreds of miles away haven't heard much either.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get phone records (if a request has been made)???
I'm anxious to find out who he had been communicating with- answer lies in phone records !

Does anyone know how long it takes to get phone records (if a request has been made)???
I'm anxious to find out who he had been communicating with- answer lies in phone records !

Not sure, but I'm doubtful that it's anything they would tell the public at any rate.

Great first post Tiggerford! And Welcome to Websleuths!

:wagon:

Hi everyone, I've been following websleuths for awhile but this is my first time commenting. I'm just so drawn to this case, no idea why- I didn't know Joey, but his disappearance is just so odd.

I think it's very possible he was in a car when he answered the phone- but it'd be nice to know if there was more said. Like did he just answer say "I'm driving" and hang right up- or was there more....I think even an "I'll call you later" could give some indication here. While looking back I did some pretty dangerous things when I was younger now at 26 (same age as Joey) I have a little more hesitation before I participate in such things- I'm leading at, I don't think he would have just willingly gotten into a car without telling his cousin where he was going. There has to be more to the story that we're not hearing. Maybe Stacey told him something he didn't like hearing (not blaming her just saying maybe something she said upset him- not necessarily anything she herself did)- and he just needed to walk away. If he had been on these apps for awhile and had been having conversations with people and not meeting them face to face (I think I read one of the comments here someone had talked to him but never met him) it makes me think he wouldn't just get into a car or go anywhere with anyone he necessarily recognized through the apps/websites.

I've been driving through the short north a lot lately and I couldn't help but notice there are cameras outside of a good number of the buildings! I really hope that cpd has requested the footage from them- time is an issue and I know a lot of businesses that don't keep recordings long especially going on 3 weeks. Also I agree with other commenters- I think this needs national coverage, just from
The Arnold being in town that weekend. Is there anything we can do to get this more media attention? I've hardly seen anything on fb lately about him- and I live just a few miles away, I imagine people hundreds of miles away haven't heard much either.

On the "i am driving call"....there is a video where Joeys' father is interviewed and he says his aunt responded back to Joey saying "okay, let me know when you get there" or something to that affect. There is/was not indication of what, if anything, Joey said in response to that. From what i understand, she is confident that was him she was speaking to.
On the

Great first post Tiggerford! And Welcome to Websleuths!

:wagon:

Thank you!

Ok, so if it was his aunt who called and she's sure it was him- why did she call so late? Does that seem odd to anyone else? I'm really not trying to accuse/blame anyone- but she had to have a reason for calling, did she know he had just taken off and not come back from the table? If so you'd think there would have been more of an urgency that night to find him. I'm thinking along the lines of maybe there was a worry there which is why she called so late on a Friday night...which could speak to his mental state at the time... Again, just throwing ideas out there.

Along the lines of the video being "too grainy" were the police able to identify anyone Joey was with leaving Union?

Maybe his drink was drugged....but if the last thing he had was water wouldn't it have been somewhat apparent before he even left the table (to get more water)? I'm not sure how these things work so I'm asking for anyone who might know...

I'm sure that angle has been explored, but I'd like to think that as with most suicides, they are found fairly quickly in a familiar place. Considering how close he was to his aunt, I would hate to think that he would kill himself AND do it in a place where he would go undiscovered for so long.

There's literally thousands of possibilities and there's just so little to go on. No witnesses, no evidence found (clothing, etc), just nothing. He may as well have vaporized in that bar, that's how bizarre it is that there seems to be absolutely nothing to give even the faintest idea of what happened to Joey. That's what makes it so frustrating. People don't vanish from a crowded place in an urban setting where people were everywhere - inside, outside....Short North was hardly deserted that night, it was a Friday night and the weather was very mild considering the season.

I agree with you 100%!

Thank you!

Ok, so if it was his aunt who called and she's sure it was him- why did she call so late? Does that seem odd to anyone else? I'm really not trying to accuse/blame anyone- but she had to have a reason for calling, did she know he had just taken off and not come back from the table? If so you'd think there would have been more of an urgency that night to find him. I'm thinking along the lines of maybe there was a worry there which is why she called so late on a Friday night...which could speak to his mental state at the time... Again, just throwing ideas out there.

Along the lines of the video being "too grainy" were the police able to identify anyone Joey was with leaving Union?

Maybe his drink was drugged....but if the last thing he had was water wouldn't it have been somewhat apparent before he even left the table (to get more water)? I'm not sure how these things work so I'm asking for anyone who might know...

You are saying exactly what a lot of us are thinking.... And I just want to scream at the top of my lungs for each day that passes! I refuse to allow Joey to become the next Brian Shaffer, not in 2016 with the abundance of technology and such.... There has GOT to be something with can do to continue with this fight!

Yet another day goes by.... and nothing new..no updates.
Not sure how many people feel about this. But, I would be interested in having a crime psychic introduced to this case. With no new leads or news, it is becoming quite concerning if Joey will ever be solved. Anyone know if these "psychics" have ever proven to be helpful or beneficial in any missing persons cases? It's just a thought....maybe it would give us some other avenues to explore..
Also, I wish the Scioto River would be searched more extensively. There should be a dive team out there!!! Joey HAS to be somewhere- he could be anywhere or he could be RIGHT underneath our noses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay