GUILTY OH - Jonathan Minard, 14, found deceased, Carroll County, 13 April 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fentanyl Death of 14-Year-Old Boy Found Buried In Shallow Grave Was a Homicide, Coroner Says
“This investigation is active,” reads a statement from Williams. “Dr. Haas has completed his work, which is very important to our investigation, but the coroner’s determinations are not conclusive of criminal investigation.”

A lot of flowery speech that hints to a great deal of nothing.

This might be one of the first homicides on WS that I've followed, where there might not be an arrest, and the local LE want this all to quietly go away.
One would surmise that at the very least tampering with a corpse or giving drugs to a minor would factor into this.
Was Jonathan 'silenced' ?

This was asked before by reporters--was there evidence of a beating or sexual assault on Jonathan's body ?
The sheriff never answered this; afaik.

Angry here for Jonathan's families' sake.

Don't they deserve justice-- regardless of how well-known the farm family and unnamed poi are in the community ?

I recall just before JM's body was located, Sheriff stated the investigation was moving from a missing person, to foul play, and that they were talking to a POI.

However, after JM's body was recovered, Investigators refused to say they were investigating JM's death as a homicide. We waited 3 months to receive confirmation that JM's death a homicide.

I believe when found, JM's body most likely showed no outward signs of assault or trauma. In fact, quite the opposite, if you believe that JM's body was recovered from a gently placed grave.

I think this investigation could go in two completely different directions. I posted above that at a minimum, we may see lesser felony charges of tampering with evidence, and gross abuse of a corpse.

However, if investigators are closing in on JM's death being connected with drug trafficking (illegal fentanyl), that would certainly change the course of the investigation, and hopefully greater charges against the person(s) responsible for JM's death.

MOO

ETA: I'm curious about the "house" on the property that JM allegedly had access to -- where he stayed, and/or where he allegedly was headed to call his mother. Does anybody know if this was this the main home, residence for the farm hands, or other?

ETA: I'm curious about the "house" on the property that JM allegedly had access to -- where he stayed, and/or where he allegedly was headed to call his mother. Does anybody know if this was this the main home, residence for the farm hands, or other?
Snipped for brevity.
Emphasis mine.

Agreed.
Afaik, this hasn't been revealed. I was assuming this was the poi's house.
I'd also read way back that the poi was married or had a girlfriend--- so maybe it was their house ?

I recall just before JM's body was located, Sheriff stated the investigation was moving from a missing person, to foul play, and that they were talking to a POI.

However, after JM's body was recovered, Investigators refused to say they were investigating JM's death as a homicide. We waited 3 months to receive confirmation that JM's death a homicide.

I believe when found, JM's body most likely showed no outward signs of assault or trauma. In fact, quite the opposite, if you believe that JM's body was recovered from a gently placed grave.

I think this investigation could go in two completely different directions. I posted above that at a minimum, we may see lesser felony charges of tampering with evidence, and gross abuse of a corpse.

However, if investigators are closing in on JM's death being connected with drug trafficking (illegal fentanyl), that would certainly change the course of the investigation, and hopefully greater charges against the person(s) responsible for JM's death.

MOO

JMO, if LE can prove that JM, a minor, purchased and deliberately and knowingly ingested the fatal dose of fentanyl on his own with no one else present, then no homicide charges should be levied.

If JM accidentally took the fentanyl believing it was an over the counter medication or similar, the POI should be charged with reckless or negligent homicide.

Lawriter - ORC

All JMO

Snipped for brevity.
Emphasis mine.

Agreed.
Afaik, this hasn't been revealed. I was assuming this was the poi's house.
I'd also read way back that the poi was married or had a girlfriend--- so maybe it was their house ?

Who knows where they were staying? It's really unusual that the news media hasn't even shown photos or video of the location where JM disappeared or was working. Not even a photo of a mailbox or driveway, barn or cow.

Something is just so "off" about this crime. Has anyone checked property records out there? JMO

Last edited:
JMO, if LE can prove that JM, a minor, purchased and deliberately and knowingly ingested the fatal dose of fentanyl on his own with no one else present, then no homicide charges should be levied.

If JM accidentally took the fentanyl believing it was an over the counter medication or similar, the POI should be charged with reckless or negligent homicide.

Lawriter - ORC

All JMO
I'm finding it hard to believe there is no further information yet on this case. Surely they have done some investigative work ?

I'm finding it hard to believe there is no further information yet on this case. Surely they have done some investigative work ?

The sheriff and prosecutor are keeping a tight lid on all information until they make an arrest. Even then, they may not say much publicly unless there's a trial.

Ohio recently enacted a policy, affirmed by the Ohio Supreme Court, that all autopsy reports are now kept confidential. Prior to that, complete autopsy reports could be viewed and reported on by the news media.

The ruling came about in two cases where the Columbus Dispatch and Cincinnati Inquirer filed suit to review autopsy reports in the Rhoden/Gilley Massacre of 8 people.

State’s top court shields full autopsy reports in Pike Co massacre

So it's highly unlikely Jonathan's final autopsy report will ever be made public.

Last edited:
I scoured that page earlier and couldn’t find anything. I wish someone would link to the actual post or at least tell us the date/time stamp.
Per TOS, we cannot link to a post. We can only reference comments vaguely. However, it looks to me like the comments previously referred to have been deleted.

Agree, there's no reason to jump to any conclusions or make assumptions about a "friend" with a criminal background who buried the young boy after he died, nor to question his accounting of the events.

Ohio police peg person of interest in case of missing boy, 14

Of course, we don't know all the facts. The news reports of autopsy results and discovery of his buried body are the only real facts the public knows at this point. We also know his "friend" had a criminal background and waited several days before telling police where the boy was buried.

The coroner did have other options in ruling on the nature of Jonathan's death. He could have ruled "natural causes", "suicide", "accidental overdose" or "death by misadventure". Instead, the coroner chose "homicide", which, at minimum, means at least one other person was involved in Jonathan's death.

Homicide

Call me confused about how some think Jonathan was consciously involved in his own death, along with another person. Since we're speculating here, based on a few known facts in the media, can someone give an example of that scenario? TIA.

Innocent boy 14 y/o + visiting a farm + ex-con + death by acute fentanyl overdose + surreptitious burial + grave not discovered for several days after LE questioning and investigating + coroner rules homicide = probable accident or the boy took the drugs himself?

ETA: All JMO, not wishing to cast aspersions or imply guilt of Jonathan's "friend".

"Homicide, in death investigation and forensic medicine, simply means that the death was caused the actions or omissions of another person," said Carroll County Coroner Dr. Mandal Haas.

Specific to this Ohio investigation, if the medical examiner was provided that a party or POI found JM unresponsive, and did not render aid or call 911, wouldn't that potentially be a death caused by omission of another person?

23 employees were fired after an Ohio Hospital scandal where 25 patients were overdosed with fentanyl by doctors and staff.

Ohio hospital fires 23 workers in case of excessive doses, deaths

Husel was charged with murder only in cases involving 500 to 2000 micrograms of the powerful painkiller fentanyl, amounts far larger than typical doses.

Mount Carmel has tightened its drug policies and access and publicly apologized, noting it should have expedited its investigation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back