GUILTY OH - Jonathan Minard, 14, found deceased, Carroll County, 13 April 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jonathan, 14, went missing on April 13, 2019, after helping milk cows on a farm belonging to a 29-year-old friend. His disappearance was reported to authorities the following day.

Jonathan, of Dellroy, Ohio, regularly helped at the friend’s farm, which was located in New Harrisburg Township.

Jonathan slept over the friend’s house the night before he disappeared. According to the friend, who has not been publicly identified, Jonathan complained of a toothache and wanted to call his mother and go home.

The two walked to the friend’s house where he said Jonathan called his mother to pick him up and then left the home. Jonathan’s mother said she never received a call from her son.

After Jonathan vanished, law enforcement, family, friends, and community members conducted an intensive search. But two days prior to discovering Jonathan’s body, the sheriff’s office ended their search for the boy and declared the start of a criminal investigation.

[...]

The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office says it cannot reveal how Jonathan came into contact with fentanyl but did say that the case is also being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation. “This takes time and we want to be thorough,” Carroll County Sheriff Dale Williams wrote. bbm

Both active and passive exposure to minimal amounts of fentanyl can result in death. “Potential [passive] exposure routes of greatest concern include inhalation, mucous membrane contact, ingestion, and percutaneous exposure (e.g., needlestick),” the CDC explained in a warning to law enforcement, first responders and members of law enforcement who may accidentally come into contact with the drug.

[...]

Ohio currently has one the highest opiod death rates in the United States. Approximately 5,000 Ohio residents die from opioids such as fentanyl and heroin annually.

Jonathan Minard: Ohio Teen’s Death Ruled Homicide by Fentanyl Intoxication | Heavy.com

ETA: I believe this is the first I've read the feds are involved in this investigation.

"After Jonathan vanished, law enforcement, family, friends, and community members conducted an intensive search. But two days prior to discovering Jonathan’s body, the sheriff’s office ended their search for the boy and declared the start of a criminal investigation." BBM
What did LE know and who told them, that made them change from searching to a criminal investigation before he was even found? I don't think I realized this timing before.

"After Jonathan vanished, law enforcement, family, friends, and community members conducted an intensive search. But two days prior to discovering Jonathan’s body, the sheriff’s office ended their search for the boy and declared the start of a criminal investigation." BBM
What did LE know and who told them, that made them change from searching to a criminal investigation before he was even found? I don't think I realized this timing before.

Yes, this was announced by Sheriff when he disclosed there was a person of interest he was talking to, investigation changing direction, and foul play suspected.

The announcement was a couple days before JM body located. MOO

Yes, this was announced by Sheriff when he disclosed there was a person of interest he was talking to, investigation changing direction, and foul play suspected.

The announcement was a couple days before JM body located. MOO
Oh yes, thank you, I remember now. Those were the days when an arrest was expected any day. Wonder if there will be one this year.

So is the prevailing opinion that Jonathan really did have a toothache, the dumba** grown friend gave him Fentanyl for pain, and caused an OD? Or are people thinking Jonathan had a drug habit?

Psh. Nah. Neither. Willing to bet the toothache was a retroactive invention. There is no legitimate reason, and if the kid did it himself they wouldn't have had to hide his body. Maybe he was drugged for a specific purpose. (testing potency? molestation?) . Waiting.

Jonathan, 14, went missing on April 13, 2019, after helping milk cows on a farm belonging to a 29-year-old friend. His disappearance was reported to authorities the following day.

Jonathan, of Dellroy, Ohio, regularly helped at the friend’s farm, which was located in New Harrisburg Township.

Jonathan slept over the friend’s house the night before he disappeared. According to the friend, who has not been publicly identified, Jonathan complained of a toothache and wanted to call his mother and go home.

The two walked to the friend’s house where he said Jonathan called his mother to pick him up and then left the home. Jonathan’s mother said she never received a call from her son.

After Jonathan vanished, law enforcement, family, friends, and community members conducted an intensive search. But two days prior to discovering Jonathan’s body, the sheriff’s office ended their search for the boy and declared the start of a criminal investigation.

[...]

The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office says it cannot reveal how Jonathan came into contact with fentanyl but did say that the case is also being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation. “This takes time and we want to be thorough,” Carroll County Sheriff Dale Williams wrote. bbm

Both active and passive exposure to minimal amounts of fentanyl can result in death. “Potential [passive] exposure routes of greatest concern include inhalation, mucous membrane contact, ingestion, and percutaneous exposure (e.g., needlestick),” the CDC explained in a warning to law enforcement, first responders and members of law enforcement who may accidentally come into contact with the drug.

[...]

Ohio currently has one the highest opiod death rates in the United States. Approximately 5,000 Ohio residents die from opioids such as fentanyl and heroin annually.

Jonathan Minard: Ohio Teen’s Death Ruled Homicide by Fentanyl Intoxication | Heavy.com

ETA: I believe this is the first I've read the feds are involved in this investigation.

Regardless of who is on the case, there's no legitimate reason to hide the identity of the 29 yr old man with a criminal past who gave an innocent 14 yo kid enough fentanyl to kill him, then buried him on a farm and lied to LE and the victim's parents. There's no legit reason for this man to be walking around free. He hasn't even been charged with anything as minor as desecration of a corpse. We could do a quick 5 minute search here on WS and find a dozen cases where people are being charged and locked up for similar or lesser offenses.

I hope the local news media wakes up and begins to cover this story. Akron Beacon Journal usually does a good job.

If they're calling in the FBI, I hope that agency investigates local and state LE for possible corruption or incompetence in this case. That seems unlikely at this point. There are some pockets of established organized crime groups in the region, but they're very old and FBI should already know about them.

Last edited:
So is the prevailing opinion that Jonathan really did have a toothache, the dumba** grown friend gave him Fentanyl for pain, and caused an OD? Or are people thinking Jonathan had a drug habit?

No, Jonathan was too young, had no history and didn't fit the profile of someone using drugs. He was a victim of someone who may have tricked him into taking the drug, spiking a drink or food. The least incriminating explanation would be accidental ingestion, though that seems less likely. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being done to abuse the boy.

Maybe someone should send a link to this case to Oxygen TV or one of the broadcast stations. It is being covered in the national news media, perhaps they can help.

ETA: This region has been experiencing a severe drug addiction problem for the last decade or more. Covering things up is not how you fix the problem.

I suppose Gov. DeWine overlooked Carroll County a couple weeks ago during the state's big drug sweep.

Hundreds Arrested During Narcotics Crackdown In Ohio

Heroin, Cocaine, $1.1 Million Seized During Ohio Investigation

Last edited:
Ita !

Sooo... why no arrest ?
Or is that still in the works ?
My opinion is that LE are going after bigger fish, hopefully.
I want justice for this young teen.

Psh. Nah. Neither. Willing to bet the toothache was a retroactive invention. There is no legitimate reason, and if the kid did it himself they wouldn't have had to hide his body. Maybe he was drugged for a specific purpose. (testing potency? molestation?) . Waiting.

I hate to type this -- but if Jonathan was raped... there should be dna evidence.
Although if that happened -- why isn't there an arrest ?

You could surmise LE were after the supplier-- who may or may not be the 29 yr-old "friend".
But they could arrest this friend and still question him, right ?
It bothers me that he's out free... and likely in major cya mode.

Ita !

Sooo... why no arrest ?
Or is that still in the works ?
My opinion is that LE are going after bigger fish, hopefully.
I want justice for this young teen.

Completely MOO

I’m curious if they’re going for a drug sting on some big players.

When my little brother OD’d, the cops told my parents that they had “bigger fish to fry” than the guys who were dealing locally.

Completely MOO

When my little brother OD’d, the cops told my parents that they had “bigger fish to fry” than the guys who were dealing locally.
Maybe that’s why we aren’t hearing much from the parents demanding results ? JMO

I hate to type this -- but if Jonathan was raped... there should be dna evidence.
Although if that happened -- why isn't there an arrest ?

You could surmise LE were after the supplier-- who may or may not be the 29 yr-old "friend".
But they could arrest this friend and still question him, right ?
It bothers me that he's out free... and likely in major cya mode.

Did they find his remains in time to find dNA evidence, in case of sexual assault?

I had alwAys wondered about that, because of the sleepover.

Did they find his remains in time to find dNA evidence, in case of sexual assault?

I had alwAys wondered about that, because of the sleepover.
I assumed there would have still been evidence , due to Jonathan's remains being buried.
There wouldn't have been any animal predation or maggot infestation.
I also wondered how deep under the ground ?

Just feeling so cynical about all of this.
Not sure if the seeming lack of LE response is due to bagging a larger criminal operation ... or other reasons I've already covered ?

Completely MOO

A couple of pages back, I posted links to some very large busts in the last month or so. Even so, they could still arrest the person who killed Jonathan.

Of course, I hope that they will. I wonder if he may be assisting/cooperating to bring down others.

Given that there are at least two charges applicable right now (excluding homicide), I believe that's the only explanation. Suspect is cooperating providing a degree of immunity, and why he is still enjoying sleeping in his own bed at night.

MOO

Given that there are at least two charges applicable right now (excluding homicide), I believe that's the only explanation. Suspect is cooperating providing a degree of immunity, and why he is still enjoying sleeping in his own bed at night.

MOO

It's 3 months since Jonathan was killed. They should have come up with some deal by now.

It's 3 months since Jonathan was killed. They should have come up with some deal by now.
I’m guessing they’re getting close. Drug dealers are quite clever at protecting their job security. LE must tread carefully for their own safety. That takes time, especially if their intent or focus is someone much higher on the food chain, which is my suspicion. Otherwise, this local penny dealer would have been arrested by now. That’s just my opinion though.

I’m guessing they’re getting close. Drug dealers are quite clever at protecting their job security. LE must tread carefully for their own safety. That takes time, especially if their intent or focus is someone much higher on the food chain, which is my suspicion. Otherwise, this local penny dealer would have been arrested by now. That’s just my opinion though.

Regardless of who they're investigating, the killer should be in jail. Putting him there doesn't compromise their investigation. They have modern inventions now that allow LE to communicate with people who are incarcerated if they need to ask them questions. They're called telephones, cell phones, computers, email, etc.

The problem with the "informant" theory is that LE was refusing to reveal any information publicly about where Jonathan was working, where he was killed, where they found him buried. This was before the killer admitted to his crimes. LE was closely guarding those basic details about the crime long before they might have come up a plan to use the killer as an informant.

There's nothing routine about the way this homicide is being handled. JMO. And it was a homicide, per the coroner.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back