GUILTY OH - Jonathan Minard, 14, found deceased, Carroll County, 13 April 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fentanyl: Use, abuse, side effects, and warnings

snipped
Fentanyl is roughly 100 times more potent than morphine and 50 times more potent than heroin. In fact, it is the most potent opioid pain reliever available for use in medical treatment.

Although fentanyl is considered safe and effective when used and monitored in a medical setting, it carries a high abuse potential.

Fentanyl analogs - designer drugs nearly identical to the original - can be manufactured and mixed with or substituted for heroin. Because fentanyl and its analogs are incredibly potent, accidental overdoses and deaths are increasingly common.

Fentanyl is sometimes mixed with heroin. Because it is much more potent than heroin, there is a hugely increased risk of overdose and death.

In this article, we will discuss the medical uses of fentanyl and its side effects. We will also cover abuse of fentanyl, addiction, and overdoses.

A couple things that stand out to me - I believe he did not have an RX for this - I'm wondering if the person who gave it to him did? Or do they have it for recreational purposes? Will they release the autopsy? I'm wondering if we will see an arrest or if someone will come forward and confess? JMO

Manner of death: How the cause of death came about. The five manners of death are natural, accidental, suicidal, homicidal, and undetermined.
What else does the ME know that makes him comfortable saying that the manner of death is homicide and not accidental for instance? Was there other trauma to his body?
Does the ME make the determination of manner of death with input from LE? Or does LE wait to see what the ME rules and bring charges based on those findings?

Fentanyl: Use, abuse, side effects, and warnings

snipped
Fentanyl is roughly 100 times more potent than morphine and 50 times more potent than heroin. In fact, it is the most potent opioid pain reliever available for use in medical treatment.

Although fentanyl is considered safe and effective when used and monitored in a medical setting, it carries a high abuse potential.

Fentanyl analogs - designer drugs nearly identical to the original - can be manufactured and mixed with or substituted for heroin. Because fentanyl and its analogs are incredibly potent, accidental overdoses and deaths are increasingly common.

Fentanyl is sometimes mixed with heroin. Because it is much more potent than heroin, there is a hugely increased risk of overdose and death.

In this article, we will discuss the medical uses of fentanyl and its side effects. We will also cover abuse of fentanyl, addiction, and overdoses.

A couple things that stand out to me - I believe he did not have an RX for this - I'm wondering if the person who gave it to him did? Or do they have it for recreational purposes? Will they release the autopsy? I'm wondering if we will see an arrest or if someone will come forward and confess? JMO

I’m betting there is some finger pointing going on by individuals that may or may not have been present at the time jmo

There’s way more to this story to come imo

CARROLLTON, Ohio (AP) — A coroner says a 14-year-old boy whose body was found in a shallow grave in Ohio died from acute fentanyl intoxication.

Carroll County's coroner has ruled the manner of Jonathan Minard's death as homicide. Coroner Dr. Mandal Haas said in a statement Monday that a homicide ruling means only that the death was caused by the actions or omissions of another person. He says those deaths may or may not result in criminal prosecution.

[...]

He says authorities are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.

Fentanyl intoxication killed teen whose body found in grave

CARROLLTON, Ohio (AP) — A coroner says a 14-year-old boy whose body was found in a shallow grave in Ohio died from acute fentanyl intoxication.

Carroll County's coroner has ruled the manner of Jonathan Minard's death as homicide. Coroner Dr. Mandal Haas said in a statement Monday that a homicide ruling means only that the death was caused by the actions or omissions of another person. He says those deaths may or may not result in criminal prosecution.

[...]

He says authorities are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.

Thank you. That answers my questions.

Here's What Happens During a Fentanyl Overdose

Here's What Happens During a Fentanyl Overdose

[...]

When a person overdoses on heroin, he or she may take the drug and then proceed to carry on a conversation for a few moments, one respondent said. Then suddenly, that person stops talking and "you look over and realize that they're overdosing," the respondent said.

But with fentanyl, the same respondent said that the effect is immediate: "I would say you notice it [a fentanyl overdose] as soon as they are done [injecting the fentanyl]. They don't even have time to pull the needle out [of their body] and they're on the ground."

Injecting fentanyl was the most common way that a person overdosed on the drug, accounting for 75 percent of the overdoses witnessed, according to the respondents. The remaining 25 percent of the overdoses resulted from people snorting the dug, the researchers said.

CARROLLTON, Ohio — New details surfaced Monday in the death of 14-year-old Jonathan Minard, who was found in a shallow grave on April 19.

The Carroll County Coroner ruled the case a homicide with the teen's death caused by "acute fentanyl intoxication."

This new information comes weeks after Jonathan's body was found on a farm in Washington Township a few days after he was reported missing.

[...]

"Homicide, in death investigation and forensic medicine, simply means that the death was caused the actions or omissions of another person," said Carroll County Coroner Dr. Mandal Haas. "Some of these deaths may be subject to criminal prosecution, others are not. Coroner's rulings are not determinative of any legal outcome."

Carroll County teen Jonathan Minard's death ruled a homicide from 'acute fentanyl intoxication'

Carroll County Sheriff Dale Williams issued the following statement:

My office continues to diligently investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of Jonathan Minard. This investigation is active. Dr. Haas has completed his work, which is very important to our investigation but the coroner's determinations are not conclusive of criminal investigation. My deputies continue to work the case and we are also working with other agencies such as the FBI and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation to gather and evaluate the evidence. This takes time and we want to be thorough. I also want the public to know that they are safe. There is no suggestion that the public is in danger or that there are any ongoing threats to public safety. I would also like the media to continue to respect the privacy of the Minard fimaly as they continue through their difficult time.

Carroll County Prosecuting Attorney Steven Barnett issued the following statement:

I have been in contact with Carroll County Coroner, Dr. Mandal B. Haas, and I have been advised of his findings in the cause and manner of death of Jonathan Minard. While the coroner's verdict is certainly helpful, it is not dispositive of a criminal investigation. The coroner's verdict must be considered with other investigative efforts of law enforcement. The investigation is still ongoing, and it is carefully being pursued with all deliberate speed. We will take appropriate legal action when we are comfortable that the investigation is sufficiently complete do so. Since the investigation continues, it is not appropriate to offer any further comment on the case in an effort to preserve the integrity of it.

Carroll County teen Jonathan Minard's death ruled a homicide from 'acute fentanyl intoxication'

Carroll County Sheriff Dale Williams’ release says Haas’ determinations “are not conclusive” of a criminal investigation. He says authorities are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.

I do hope that LE will do everything in their power to hold those accountable that contributed to JM's death

I don't believe murder charges are likely applicable in this case, but this was a 14 yr old boy!

Adults many times are treated as responsible for their own decisions in cases where they die of an overdose and many times others that were around and or contributed are not charged with any crime.

But if there were others with JM and they supplied him with Fentanyl and then tried to hide his body that's criminal IMO

I hope it all just doesn't get swept under the rug and treated as a poor decision by a 14yr old

If this was a poor decision by JM and JM alone, Somebody would have been calling 911 IMO

Whether calling 911 would have saved him or not is moot IMO! It's just what an innocent non involved decent human being should do!

You don't bury a body unless you have something to hide IMO (Which is a criminal act in itself)

JMO

Last edited:
I do hope that LE will do everything in their power to hold those accountable that contributed to JM's death

I don't believe murder charges are likely applicable in this case, but this was a 14 yr old boy!

Adults many times are treated as responsible for their own decisions in cases where they die of an overdose and many times others that were around and or contributed are not charged with any crime.

But if there were others with JM and they supplied him with Fentanyl and then tried to hide his body that's criminal IMO

I hope it all just doesn't get swept under the rug and treated as a poor decision by a 14yr old

If this was a poor decision by JM and JM alone, Somebody would have been calling 911 IMO

Whether calling 911 would have saved him or not is moot IMO! It's just what an innocent non involved decent human being should do!

You don't bury a body unless you have something to hide IMO (Which is a criminal act)

JMO

I believe JM thought he was with family whenever he was working at that farm. The POI is believed connected with the ownership of the farm.

Discarding this young kid as if he was just another casualty of the herd sickens me.

Absolutely agree -- you don't bury a child, and phone the parents playing dumb, unless you have something to hide.

MOO

I believe JM thought he was with family whenever he was working at that farm. The POI is believed connected with the ownership of the farm.

Discarding this young kid as if he was just another casualty of the herd sickens me.

Absolutely agree -- you don't bury a child, and phone the parents playing dumb, unless you have something to hide.

MOO

Spot on as always Seattle!

Also just wanted to point out that the ME always has information of how the victim was found etc to refer back to while doing the autopsy.

Many times the ME determination is not only based solely on toxicology, and things he/she observed while performing the autopsy.

But also notes that he/she has from responding officers and or the medical examiner on scene

We have seen this used also after the fact in cases where LE has come back and revealed details after the findings in order to reopen a murder investigation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the medical examiner was made aware of extenuating circumstances in this case.

And obviously the ME decision to classify JM death as a homicide has no direct implications on criminal charges. However it could make it easier for a prosecutor if they so chose to pursue such charges in the future.

Jmo

MOO
It would be so easy to inject him from behind- he might not have even known it was coming.

Makes you wonder, did he find out something that he shouldn't have by accident- something hidden on the farm *wink wink* and they decided to silence him?

It would be so easy to inject him from behind- he might not have even known it was coming.

Makes you wonder, did he find out something that he shouldn't have by accident- something hidden on the farm *wink wink* and they decided to silence him?
I think there would already be an arrest if they could prove the ingestion was by injection, especially from behind. I think the question is whether he took a fentanyl to relieve his tooth pain (under proper medical supervision) fentanyl is a pain killer and it was too much. Or whether, he was given it by someone else as a means to get high.

I think there would already be an arrest if they could prove the ingestion was by injection, especially from behind. I think the question is whether he took a fentanyl to relieve his tooth pain (under proper medical supervision) fentanyl is a pain killer and it was too much. Or whether, he was given it by someone else as a means to get high.
JMO or Marijuana laced with fentanyl.
But in that case tox would show THC.
MMO I lean that he did not know what he was taking. No prof of toothache other than witness statement.
Did family ever state he was suffering from resent tooth pain?
Maybe you could forgive someone if by accident Johnny, opened bottle labeled ibuprofen and consumed by false bottle label. But then to hide his body and bury it, leading a search for days is unforgivable and disgusting. I do not care how afraid they were. Unspeakable behavior.

I don’t believe this to be medical related at all and that’s jmo based on things I probably can’t discuss here.

I think the tooth pain was a ruse that was set up after the death.

I think it’s most likely JM died Friday night early Saturday and the toothache story supposedly happened later Saturday morning when JM was likely already dead. Jmo

I don’t believe this to be medical related at all and that’s jmo based on things I probably can’t discuss here.

I think the tooth pain was a ruse that was set up after the death.

I think it’s most likely JM died Friday night early Saturday and the toothache story supposedly happened later Saturday morning when JM was likely already dead. Jmo

I'd like to know if ME confirmed if JM had any abscessed teeth or decay to substantiate tooth ache, or if that was a self serving allegation by POI to insinuate JM was self medicating. -- I'm more inclined to believe it was the later.

I've long had tampering with evidence, and abuse of a corpse, for ready charges against a suspect, and now it pains me to think that this may be as far as JM's case goes.

I hope I'm wrong...

MOO

MOO
Have they come out and named a POI??

If investigators believed there was that degree of criminality behind JM's death, I believe they would have made an arrest for tampering with evidence long ago -- just to get the dangerous murderer off the street! Tampering charge can come early during an investigation.

I truly believe this was an accidental overdose, and the first crime was not rendering aid, or seeking help for JM.

We have 4 year olds that call 911 when they see their parents in medical distress, and it appears the ME believes it's more what the party didn't do, than what they caused.

MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1