GUILTY OH - Jonathan Minard, 14, found deceased, Carroll County, 13 April 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fentanyl of all things? I don't know about homicide. But someone did dispose of this kid's body. And, I'm pretty sure that's a crime. I find it sort of hard to believe that this kid was taking fentanyl alone. It's highly likely that someone was with him when he took it and when he overdosed. Someone let this boy overdose and didn't even bother to call 991. His poor parents, my God.

Fentanyl of all things? I don't know about homicide. But someone did dispose of this kid's body. And, I'm pretty sure that's a crime. I find it sort of hard to believe that this kid was taking fentanyl alone. It's highly likely that someone was with him when he took it and when he overdosed. Someone let this boy overdose and didn't even bother to call 991. His poor parents, my God.

Crazy isn't it.

60 minutes did a program a couple months ago specifically about Ohio and fentanyl arriving from China. A frightening read!

If veteran addicts are killing over here, JM didn't have a prayer. :(

By now, you may know a family shattered by the opioid epidemic. In 2017, there were 47,000 opioid deaths. That's more Americans than were killed in vehicle accidents or by firearms. One drug, fentanyl, is like rocket fuel in the sharp rise of this crisis. Fentanyl is a painkiller invented in the 1960's and used to relieve the agony of advanced cancer. It is 50 times more potent than heroin. But today fentanyl can be ordered on the internet, by drug dealers and addicts, for an online overdose. Tracking the source of this illicit trade is a story that begins with James Rauh. Like most in Akron, Ohio, he'd never heard of fentanyl until the police told him his son was dead.

Deadly fentanyl bought online from China being shipped through the mail

More and more states are enacting specific laws that provide for charging the drug provider when someone dies as a result of the drugs provided.
I have no idea if Ohio has such a specific law, but the cases are often brought forward even if such laws are not present.

More and more states are enacting specific laws that provide for charging the drug provider when someone dies as a result of the drugs provided.
I have no idea if Ohio has such a specific law, but the cases are often brought forward even if such laws are not present.

I don't believe we currently have such a law in Ohio

In fact in Ohio we have the controversial 911 good samaritan law that was intended to save lives by giving immunity to those who call 911 to report an overdose

Such a law would not apply to this case, as nobody called 911 to help JM

And in fact they did the opposite here as somebody committed a criminal act IMO by trying to cover up JM's death

The thing that really ticks me off in this case is the fact that JM a 14 yr old youth was with a trusted adult friend when he likely died(somebody buried him on that farm)

JMO

I don't believe we currently have such a law in Ohio

In fact in Ohio we have the controversial 911 good samaritan law that was intended to save lives by giving immunity to those who call 911 to report an overdose

Such a law would not apply to this case, as nobody called 911 to help JM

And in fact they did the opposite here as somebody committed a criminal act IMO by trying to cover up JM's death

The thing that really ticks me off in this case is the fact that JM a 14 yr old youth was with a trusted adult friend when he likely died(somebody buried him on that farm)

JMO
I had a friend in Saskatchewan that died from it along with 3 other people the rcmp charged the dealer with 3 murders. In british columbia on welfare days and child tax benifit days the overdoses are unreal . Not enough dealers are charged with murder but just moo

Carroll County Sheriff Dale Williams’ release says Haas’ determinations “are not conclusive” of a criminal investigation. He says authorities are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.

Williams said there was a person of interest identified and he expects charges will eventually be filed.

Missing 14-year-old found in shallow grave died from acute fentanyl intoxication

Carroll County Sheriff Dale Williams’ release says Haas’ determinations “are not conclusive” of a criminal investigation. He says authorities are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.

Williams said there was a person of interest identified and he expects charges will eventually be filed.

Missing 14-year-old found in shallow grave died from acute fentanyl intoxication

Wow. Also from the link:

Carroll County’s coroner has ruled the manner of Jonathan Minard’s death as homicide. Coroner Dr. Mandal Haas said in a statement Monday that a homicide ruling means only that the death was caused by the actions or omissions of another person. He says those deaths may or may not result in criminal prosecution.

If the boy had a toothache, it sounds like the other person may have given him the fentanyl by accident. Perhaps the "friend" was hiding fentanyl inside capsules used for over the counter pain relievers, in a bottle containing the same. If so, it's still negligent homicide and should be prosecuted. JMO. The fact that he then buried the boy after he died doesn't look good, either.

It seems highly unlikely a shy 14 yo kid would deliberately take fentanyl. He doesn't seem to fit the profile of a kid at risk of using drugs, from what's been reported in the news media. He was close to his parents, went to school, had friends, wasn't getting in trouble, no prior reports of any kind of drug use, etc.

ETA: IANAL, but burying him is at minimum, unlawful concealing of a body. If connected to a felony charge, it's a lot more - interference with an investigation, obstruction of justice, etc.

Last edited:
More news coverage. It's troubling that the coroner has ruled it a homicide, but local LE is still "investigating". It's also troubling that Jonathan was trying to contact his parents to go home. Was it just because of the alleged toothache or was something else causing him to be upset?

Carroll County teen Jonathan Minard's death ruled a homicide from 'acute fentanyl intoxication'

Fentanyl Death of 14-Year-Old Boy Found Buried In Shallow Grave Was a Homicide, Coroner Says

Death Of Ohio Teen Found In Shallow Grave Ruled A Homicide

Carroll County coroner rules Jonathan Minard's death a homicide

Wow. Also from the link:

If the boy had a toothache, it sounds like the other person may have given him the fentanyl by accident. Perhaps the "friend" was hiding fentanyl inside capsules used for over the counter pain relievers, in a bottle containing the same. If so, it's still negligent homicide and should be prosecuted. JMO. The fact that he then buried the boy after he died doesn't look good, either.

It seems highly unlikely a shy 14 yo kid would deliberately take fentanyl. He doesn't seem to fit the profile of a kid at risk of using drugs, from what's been reported in the news media. He was close to his parents, went to school, had friends, wasn't getting in trouble, no prior reports of any kind of drug use, etc.

ETA: IANAL, but burying him is at minimum, unlawful concealing of a body. If connected to a felony charge, it's a lot more - interference with an investigation, obstruction of justice, etc.

Investigators found the body April 19 at a Washington Township farm, roughly 90 miles southeast of Cleveland. The Dellroy teen was reported missing April 14.

I believe JM was dead on 14 April, and whoever concealed his body in a shallow grave did so to delay and distract -- all in attempt to avoid charges levied against him/herself.

Perhaps this delayed discovery also played a part in the late toxicology report?

Under Ohio state law, if they can only prove 1) tampering with evidence; and 2) gross abuse of a corpse -- I'm afraid the resultant penalty will mean very little justice for Jonathan.

Relative to abuse of a corpse, - it appears that to outrage the sensibilities of the family is a misdemeanor of 2nd degree but to outrage the community is deemed a felony of 5th degree. Hoping for the later, obviously. MOO

2006 Ohio Revised Code - 2927.01. Abuse of a corpse.
§ 2927.01. Abuse of a corpse.

(A) No person, except as authorized by law, shall treat a human corpse in a way that the person knows would outrage reasonable family sensibilities.

(B) No person, except as authorized by law, shall treat a human corpse in a way that would outrage reasonable community sensibilities.

(C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of abuse of a corpse, a misdemeanor of the second degree. Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of gross abuse of a corpse, a felony of the fifth degree.

More news coverage. It's troubling that the coroner has ruled it a homicide, but local LE is still "investigating". It's also troubling that Jonathan was trying to contact his parents to go home. Was it just because of the alleged toothache or was something else causing him to be upset?

Carroll County teen Jonathan Minard's death ruled a homicide from 'acute fentanyl intoxication'

Fentanyl Death of 14-Year-Old Boy Found Buried In Shallow Grave Was a Homicide, Coroner Says

Death Of Ohio Teen Found In Shallow Grave Ruled A Homicide

Carroll County coroner rules Jonathan Minard's death a homicide

The homicide ruling by the Coroner is simply a matter of law (may or may not result in criminal prosecution).

However, both the toothache and wanting to phone home are allegations only-- made presumably by the POI. We don't know if either were true, except JM's mother says she never received a call from her son.

Unless autopsy reveals otherwise (i.e., tooth abscess), I'm more inclined to believe these were self serving statements by the POI to imply JM was self medicating for an alleged toothache, and his death an accident.

MOO

The homicide ruling by the Coroner is simply a matter of law (may or may not result in criminal prosecution).

However, both the toothache and wanting to phone home are allegations only-- made presumably by the POI. We don't know if either were true, except JM's mother says she never received a call from her son.

Unless autopsy reveals otherwise (i.e., tooth abscess), I'm more inclined to believe these were self serving statements by the POI to imply JM was self medicating for an alleged toothache, and his death an accident.

MOO

Agreed I have no reason at this point to believe the words of an individual who buried a body in an attempt to deceive this boys family and LE.

No evidence of JM having a toothache, wanting to go home, and of even being seen alive on Saturday jmo

Last edited:
Agreed I have no reason at this point to believe an individual who buried a body in an attempt to deceive this boys family and LE.

No evidence of JM having a toothache, wanting to go home, and of even being seen alive on Saturday jmo

Agree, there's no reason to jump to any conclusions or make assumptions about a "friend" with a criminal background who buried the young boy after he died, nor to question his accounting of the events.

Ohio police peg person of interest in case of missing boy, 14

MOO

Of course, we don't know all the facts. The news reports of autopsy results and discovery of his buried body are the only real facts the public knows at this point. We also know his "friend" had a criminal background and waited several days before telling police where the boy was buried.

The coroner did have other options in ruling on the nature of Jonathan's death. He could have ruled "natural causes", "suicide", "accidental overdose" or "death by misadventure". Instead, the coroner chose "homicide", which, at minimum, means at least one other person was involved in Jonathan's death.

Homicide

Homicide is when one human being causes the death of another. Not all homicide is murder, as some killings are manslaughter, and some are lawful, such as when justified by an affirmative defense, like insanity or self-defense.

Call me confused about how some think Jonathan was consciously involved in his own death, along with another person. Since we're speculating here, based on a few known facts in the media, can someone give an example of that scenario? TIA.

Innocent boy 14 y/o + visiting a farm + ex-con + death by acute fentanyl overdose + surreptitious burial + grave not discovered for several days after LE questioning and investigating + coroner rules homicide = probable accident or the boy took the drugs himself?

ETA: All JMO, not wishing to cast aspersions or imply guilt of Jonathan's "friend".

Last edited:
Agree, there's no reason to jump to any conclusions or make assumptions about a "friend" with a criminal background who buried the young boy after he died, nor to question his accounting of the events.

Ohio police peg person of interest in case of missing boy, 14

Of course, we don't know all the facts. The news reports of autopsy results and discovery of his buried body are the only real facts the public knows at this point. We also know his "friend" had a criminal background and waited several days before telling police where the boy was buried.

The coroner did have other options in ruling on the nature of Jonathan's death. He could have ruled "natural causes", "suicide", "accidental overdose" or "death by misadventure". Instead, the coroner chose "homicide", which, at minimum, means at least one other person was involved in Jonathan's death.

Homicide
Call me confused about how some think Jonathan was consciously involved in his own death, along with another person. Since we're speculating here, based on a few known facts in the media, can someone give an example of that scenario? TIA.

Innocent boy 14 y/o + visiting a farm + ex-con + death by acute fentanyl overdose + surreptitious burial + grave not discovered for several days after LE questioning and investigating + coroner rules homicide = probable accident or the boy took the drugs himself?

ETA: All JMO, not wishing to cast aspersions or imply guilt of Jonathan's "friend".

Thanks for the April 17 link! I somehow missed that details about the POI were ever released:

Williams said that investigators have now identified a person of interest. He is described as a 29-year-old man with a criminal record, consisting of mainly drug offenses, Fox 8 reported.

It was not immediately clear if the person of interest was Minard’s friend from the farm.

Thanks for the April 17 link! I somehow missed that details about the POI were ever released:

Williams said that investigators have now identified a person of interest. He is described as a 29-year-old man with a criminal record, consisting of mainly drug offenses, Fox 8 reported.

It was not immediately clear if the person of interest was Minard’s friend from the farm.

Yep. I guess 14 yo Jonathan was going to his 29 yo friend's dairy farm on weekends so he could connect up with his fentanyl dealer in the nearby village and party all weekend. o_O Kind of difficult to do when Jonathan wasn't old enough to drive and didn't own a car or a cell phone. :oops:

When the sheriff was asked in April (after Jonathan's body was discovered but before the autopsy was conducted) whether the friend/dairy farmer was the person of interest, the sheriff was very circumspect:

When asked if he could confirm that his department was now conducting a homicide investigation, Williams said he would not comment. Williams was also asked if the dairy farmer was the “person of interest.” The sheriff remained tight-lipped and would not disclose any other information. “I’m not going to go there,” he replied.

Jonathan Minard: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Perhaps the dairy farmer has a very good attorney? The sheriff and coroner now continue to proceed very carefully and drop hints that sometimes no charges are filed in homicide cases.

I'm glad this boy's death is getting national media coverage.

“This investigation is active,” reads a statement from Williams. “Dr. Haas has completed his work, which is very important to our investigation, but the coroner’s determinations are not conclusive of criminal investigation.”

A lot of flowery speech that hints to a great deal of nothing.

This might be one of the first homicides on WS that I've followed, where there might not be an arrest, and the local LE want this all to quietly go away.
One would surmise that at the very least tampering with a corpse or giving drugs to a minor would factor into this.
Was Jonathan 'silenced' ?

This was asked before by reporters--was there evidence of a beating or sexual assault on Jonathan's body ?
The sheriff never answered this; afaik.

Angry here for Jonathan's families' sake.

Don't they deserve justice-- regardless of how well-known the farm family and unnamed poi are in the community ?

Yep. I guess 14 yo Jonathan was going to his 29 yo friend's dairy farm on weekends so he could connect up with his fentanyl dealer in the nearby village and party all weekend. o_O Kind of difficult to do when Jonathan wasn't old enough to drive and didn't own a car or a cell phone. :oops:

When the sheriff was asked in April (after Jonathan's body was discovered but before the autopsy was conducted) whether the friend/dairy farmer was the person of interest, the sheriff was very circumspect:

Jonathan Minard: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Perhaps the dairy farmer has a very good attorney? The sheriff and coroner now continue to proceed very carefully and drop hints that sometimes no charges are filed in homicide cases.

I'm glad this boy's death is getting national media coverage.
BBM

Or the dairy farmer and poi have been friends for a very long time, possibly spanning generations ?
Old ties can be hard to break.
I can't imagine what Jonathan's family are being told --- or what they're going through. :(

BBM

Or the dairy farmer and poi have been friends for a very long time, possibly spanning generations ?
Old ties can be hard to break.
I can't imagine what Jonathan's family are being told --- or what they're going through. :(

Yes, I feel sympathy for Jonathan's family, too. It's just speculation, but since Jonathan went to work at the farm regularly, his parents must have been at least somewhat acquainted with the dairy farmer. This news must have been devastating for them.

Thus far, I haven't come across any reference to other people present at the dairy farm aside from Jonathan and his "friend". I'm going to check again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pennypiper
Back