GUILTY OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #67

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong if so please or react me , but I thought around the time Deering made his decision on media in the courtroom he also said something to the effect he didn’t agree nor see a need for a change of venue.

I thought I remembered this too. But maybe it didn’t pertain specifically to G4 or to a specific motion.

you can get a lawyer provided for appeals, depends on state, but it usually happens when it is a mandated sentence as is this case, Mark Gooch was sentenced yesterday to Natural Life for murdering Sasha Krause and he intends to appeal, and an appellate attorney will be provided for his appeal, it is only for the first appeal

Yes each state is different where I live you send your case to pd office and if they think you have grounds(not a winning case) they'll give you one. I think the percentage is like 30 percent get one. G4s death penalty certified lawyer is certainly higher caliber then what most states provide. I'm not sure how that would be from the same pool on appeal. Irregardless I'm sure freddie will make sure g4 has a good one and Mr Parker would love some of that Wagner Crime Family Benjamin's.

you can get a lawyer provided for appeals, depends on state, but it usually happens when it is a mandated sentence as is this case, Mark Gooch was sentenced yesterday to Natural Life for murdering Sasha Krause and he intends to appeal, and an appellate attorney will be provided for his appeal, it is only for the first appeal

Yes each state is different where I live you send your case to pd office and if they think you have grounds(not a winning case) they'll give you one. I think the percentage is like 30 percent get one. G4s death penalty certified lawyer is certainly higher caliber then what most states provide. I'm not sure how that would be from the same pool on appeal. Irregardless I'm sure freddie will make sure g4 has a good one and Mr Parker would love some of that Wagner Crime Family Benjamin's.

I thought I remembered this too. But maybe it didn’t pertain specifically to G4 or to a specific motion.

The only one that had filed for change of venue before G4 was AW. I think it was talked about in court between the judge and the defense that they may want to see if they can seat a jury before that would be granted. That is kind of what I remember.

It would probably be a lot harder to seat a jury for G4 if any of the others had already had their trials and juries were to have been seated for those. I do think it still may be somewhat hard to seat one in G4 case. I think they will try to seat a jury before a venue change would be granted.

I may be wrong if so please or react me , but I thought around the time Deering made his decision on media in the courtroom he also said something to the effect he didn’t agree nor see a need for a change of venue.

For a change in courtroom for Billy.

Wagner’s attorneys raise ‘frustrations’ in Pike County massacre case, complain about courtroom tech

He told the judge through his attorneys he is frustrated with some aspects of the case.

Wagner’s attorney says he is upset he can’t always meet with his attorney in person to see some of the evidence against him. He meets with them via video conference instead.

Wagner’s attorneys also say they are frustrated by the setup in the Pike County courtroom itself, saying it would be hard for their client to get a fair trial with the limited audio-video capabilities of the antiquated courtroom.

The prosecution responded that if the trials are eventually held in Pike County, they would bring in updated video equipment to answer that concern.

Last edited:
Yes, Pike County is sort of off-the-grid as far as the news media is concerned. It's a very low population county. That said, the local media out of Cinci or Columbus could cover the case more closely. Some did and got burned, though.

If they end up having GW4's trial in Montgomery Co (where he's currently incarcerated) the Dayton Daily News is pretty good and has covered this case with some quality reporting.

I just hope they don't hold it in Cuyahoga County. The Plain Dealer already wrote that unusual, fawning series of articles about Fredericka Wagner. Local news media has gotten really bad in recent years. They would probably ignore the trial and let the Akron Beacon Journal cover it.

Some of the judges on the Court of Common Pleas have made some mistakes lately, too.

There's also the option of holding the trial in Pike County, but bringing jurors in from another county. That possibility has been discussed before, but seems pretty unrealistic given the small size of Waverly.

Fortunately, the national news media will cover the trial, so that will help a lot.

Sorry, not ignoring you just real life here took over.

Thanks for this very informative post, very useful. I've kept a copy for my notes, hope you don't mind.

I don't think it would be a good idea to hold the Trial in Pike County either, and bring jurors in from another County due to the costs involved bringing them in daily. As you say Waverley not big enough to have Jurors staying there. I'm sure I remember back awhile talking about this very situation too.

Never thought about it, but Ohio does have a large number of Counties, 88 in total.
The populations vary, many counties are sparsely populated as is Pike and Adams, being basically rural.
I do wonder what the logical and legal prerequisites would be for choosing a new venue if that it what will eventually happen. May not have to deal with that, but it doesn’t hurt to try to imagine what Judge Deering has to consider.

Posting these links for those not familiar to show population of each Ohio County, location, County seat.
Quick reference, Pike County is located SouthEast
Parts of UHR (a long road) may actually straddle Adams and Pike County.
NOT SURE but I think Dana’s residence (on the other side of UHR from CRsr, FR,) may be in Adams

Ohio Counties by Population

https://www.ccao.org/wp-content/uploads/Map County Seats.pdf

Another point of reference. Pike County is approximately 90 miles from the major
Cities of Cincinnati and Columbus. And approx. 60 miles from Dayton, Montgomery County where G4 is now. These are also the close major news outlets.

Oh wow, 88 Counties! And some of those populations is mind blowing, to me anyway. I live in what is considered a rural town. We used to have livestock markets twice a week, sadly it closed some years back. My towns population is around 20,000, and classed as rural.

Thanks Ann for all this info, I'll have another look through those links as I've saved them both.

Judge Deering may insist upon trying to seat a Pike County Jury first.
Then, if impossible, making a move to a larger jury pool area.
it’s my thought that it will be difficult to find 12 plus alternates in Pike County.
I won’t go into all the reasons, we can speculate about pros and cons ( HA! cons) of that. ‘Someone’ could try to influence $$$ a juror or two .
It may come down to something different such as security needs and media needs.
The needs of the immediate families should be considered. It will be a difficult decision. I have my own doubts. I think that eventually there will not be a trial.
Nash is building an appeal record and Judge Deering surely knows that.

Nov 20, 2018
https://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/ham...rs-offers-help-in-pike-county-massacre-trials

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters offers help in Pike County massacre trials
Says he expects changes of venue for murder trials

Junk said he intends to try all four cases in Pike County.

In Cincinnati, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters has been watching with some skepticism.

"I can't image a scenario where they will be able to try that out in Pike County," Deters said. "These cases, it's just overwhelming."

In 1993, Deters' office was called on to help prosecute the Lucasville prison riot cases in Scioto County, another area with limited resources because of its size.

"Our death penalty cases, we call in a couple hundred jurors," Deters said. "They're not going to be able to do that. There's no way."

Pike County has 28,000 residents.

Last edited:
For a change in courtroom for Billy.

Wagner’s attorneys raise ‘frustrations’ in Pike County massacre case, complain about courtroom tech

He told the judge through his attorneys he is frustrated with some aspects of the case.

Wagner’s attorney says he is upset he can’t always meet with his attorney in person to see some of the evidence against him. He meets with them via video conference instead.

Wagner’s attorneys also say they are frustrated by the setup in the Pike County courtroom itself, saying it would be hard for their client to get a fair trial with the limited audio-video capabilities of the antiquated courtroom.

The prosecution responded that if the trials are eventually held in Pike County, they would bring in updated video equipment to answer that concern.
Thank you CC

Thank you CC

No prob.
Took awhile to find that article, I knew it was out there!

I remembered that Billy had been complaining about things, he still is.

The Columbus Dispatch
PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions
Five Years Later: The Rhoden Family Killings

Billy Wagner's attorneys told Pike County Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering earlier this month that their client disagrees with some of the defense strategies and is frustrated by how slow the case has progressed through the courts.

Billy Wagner files his own motion in prison handwriting, demands speedy trial - Scioto Valley Guardian

So why is George having his trial first if Billy wants his trial so badly?

Billy likely wants to see the outcome of George's trial first.

Last edited:

As many witnesses as the state has on their list, they may have to move it just for that reason. Half the county will be called. I am kidding about having to move it for that, but it is a seemingly large amount. The case involves 8 victims, 4 defendants, family,investigators and other witnesses so it probably just seems like a lot.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018
https://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/ham...rs-offers-help-in-pike-county-massacre-trials

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters offers help in Pike County massacre trials

In Cincinnati, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters has been watching with some skepticism.

"I can't image a scenario where they will be able to try that out in Pike County," Deters said. "These cases, it's just overwhelming."

In 1993, Deters' office was called on to help prosecute the Lucasville prison riot cases in Scioto County, another area with limited resources because of its size.

"Our death penalty cases, we call in a couple hundred jurors," Deters said. "They're not going to be able to do that. There's no way."

Let's hope it doesn't go to Hamilton County, OH

Gruttadauria admits bribing state official

Deters said he did not know the person's identity and maintained that his office never awarded business based on political donations from Gruttadauria or any other broker. Deters suggested the pay-to- play scandal will not change his plans to run for attorney general in 2006.

"It's always been an office I wanted to hold," he said, adding that he won't make a final decision until after this year's presidential contest.

Joe Deters’ nearly eight years of practicing law on the side has led to ethical wormholes | Cincinnati CityBeat

JMO, Jake probably began his confession by saying things to protect GW4. His confession went on for several hours. Prosecution has all the evidence, though, which they shared with Jake. With the evidence they gathered, they can probably walk through each crime scene and demonstrate how many people were there, how they came in, which weapons each was using, where they walked & stood when shooting, who they shot and how they left.

In the end, it will be Jake and Angela's proffers PLUS all the evidence the state has compiled that will help jurors decide to convict GW4 and Billy.

JMO
Still holding out hope the Rhoden, Gilley and Manley families will be spared any trials. <3

G4
01/19/2022 MOTION NO. 82 DEFEDANDANT'S OBJECTION AND MOTION IN LIMINE TO PROHIBIT THE INTRODUCTION OF OTHER ACTS EVIDENCE AT TRIAL FILED Attorney: PARKER, JOHN PATRICK Attorney: NASH, JR, RICHARD M

01/19/2022 MOTION NO. 83 DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR CHANGE OF VENUE FILED Attorney: NASH, JR, RICHARD M Attorney: PARKER, JOHN PATRICK

01/19/2022 MOTION NO. 84 DEFENDANT'S MOTION TO COMPEL ALL BRADY OR INFORMANT DISCOVERY FILED Attorney: PARKER, JOHN PATRICK Attorney: NASH, JR, RICHARD M
Just wondering about that last one...is the defense allowed to see where informants live? Is that info available or does the court keep it sealed?

Just wondering about that last one...is the defense allowed to see where informants live? Is that info available or does the court keep it sealed?

I believe the names would be sealed until trial for safety reasons and possibly the locations (locations may get out anyway through various ways). I do believe the defense may already have some information on where they believe at least some of the informant's locations were/are.

I believe the names would be sealed until trial for safety reasons and possibly the locations (locations may get out anyway through various ways). I do believe the defense may already have some information on where they believe at least some of the informant's locations were/are.
A scary situation for any informant of those accused of the cold-blooded murder of eight people who also voiced the intent to kill cops and prosecutors that came after them.

Nov 20, 2018

I think this Hamilton County Prosecutor needs to keep his mouth shut. This isn't his case, not his problem.

All of that information MUST be provided to the defense attorneys. It doesn't have to be made public, but it must be disclosed to defense counsel.

Thanks @PrairieWind for the expert input! State has been good so far about providing the defense attys with discovery. From discovery we've seen already, they've provided info about expert witnesses, etc.

Good to know the defendants and their families won't have access to information about any locals, victims' family members, friends, ex-wives, etc. who might testify against them. At the beginning of the pre-trial process many years ago, the attorneys for the grandmother, Fredericka Wagner, tried very hard to get the names of the people who served on the Grand Jury that indicted her.

Her attorneys didn't win on that request, but they were successful in getting a copy of the GJ transcript.

https://www.pikecountycpcourt.org/e...iW6vXQcCfx3bnTptiJjQ9C6KGOZGOy2n1MnUt0Asyr2mA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member