OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue - 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #77

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At their pre-trial hearings, both of them gave their confessions live, on camera. You can find video of them doing so, probably on YouTube. I suspect they will do the same with this testimony.

As for the Scioto Valley Blogger guy, if the latest ruling was in his favor about showing gory, graphic crime scene photos, why is he complaining? He's free to do that now.
His complaint was about the opting out. From my understanding, he claims it is archaic. He's also perturbed about the locking of doors except during recess. Be on time bud and you won't have to worry about that. I may not agree with how he went about it, but I agree with advocacy for the first amendment and reporters rights. I am of the belief that without, at the very least, audio, we cannot get the inflection of the witness, and thus the full merit of their testimony.

But remember, she was 3 when Wagner's were arrested. It's unlikely she'll have any vivid memories of her immediate family at all. Hopefully, she's gotten counseling, but she may have been shielded from most everything and be completely unaware at this time. When she does reach the age where she begins to question things all she'll really have are cold hard facts. I can't imagine anyone wanting to get to know people who massacred any family let alone her own.
I dated a guy early in high school (nothing serious, 4-5 dates) who as an infant, his father shot & killed his mother (while she was holding him), then turned the gun on himself. He was also shot in the leg & carry’s the scars to this day but has no memory of the event. As adults, I was in a circle of friends with him & his wife (and now their adult daughter). On the outside, was a good guy, outgoing, friendly, would do anything for anyone. But I later learned that in private, he had a very dark side; abusing both alcohol and his wife.

I had another friend in elementary school whose adult step-uncle hid in their home and shot & killed two of her sisters as they all came in from school bus, then killed two of the State Troopers who responded later that evening. Her mother had been hiding from him in the barn and was unable to warn the girls. That was in early 70’s. We were 9 y/o. My young friend was also shot but eventually made her wayto a neighboring farm for help. She remained emotionally fragile and “not quite right” through high school. I don’t know whatever happened to her, she moved at some point before we graduated HS & I never saw her again.

My point is, violent trauma as a child can have lifelong psychological effects, whether they remember the event or not - but also, some mental illnesses (even predication for addiction) can be genetic. Then there’s the media/social media. These children will all grow up to learn the truth. And the lies. Someday, they will read about the murders, the trials & themselves. When I think about that, I think of Diane Down’s children - especially the daughter now known as Rebecca Babcock (born in prison then adopted).

As an adult Rebecca said “The impact of Diane Downs being my mom has altered the course of my life so many times.”

As these trials move forward then behind us, as the years move on, please think of them & continue sending up your prayers or positive vibes towards the very best future for these 4 children who have forever had their lives altered. (And also for the families who are raising them).

I wonder when they blocked them? If you block someone on FB, you can't read their FB even if it's public, nor can they read yours. They are invisible to you at that point. Even if you do a search and their posts are public. I've been through this... The W4 aren't the only crazy cult-ish family in these here hills.

If you have the password for the blocked accounts, you can still read their pages.

If you have the password for the blocked accounts, you can still read their pages.
They'd have to unblock them, use the password, read the messages, and re-block them. If they used standalone Messenger, it tells you the person is unavailable, if they've blocked you, or you don't see them at all, if you've blocked them.

I dated a guy early in high school (nothing serious, 4-5 dates) who as an infant, his father shot & killed his mother (while she was holding him), then turned the gun on himself. He was also shot in the leg & carry’s the scars to this day but has no memory of the event. As adults, I was in a circle of friends with him & his wife (and now their adult daughter). On the outside, was a good guy, outgoing, friendly, would do anything for anyone. But I later learned that in private, he had a very dark side; abusing both alcohol and his wife.

I had another friend in elementary school whose adult step-uncle hid in their home and shot & killed two of her sisters as they all came in from school bus, then killed two of the State Troopers who responded later that evening. Her mother had been hiding from him in the barn and was unable to warn the girls. That was in early 70’s. We were 9 y/o. My young friend was also shot but eventually made her wayto a neighboring farm for help. She remained emotionally fragile and “not quite right” through high school. I don’t know whatever happened to her, she moved at some point before we graduated HS & I never saw her again.

My point is, violent trauma as a child can have lifelong psychological effects, whether they remember the event or not - but also, some mental illnesses (even predication for addiction) can be genetic. Then there’s the media/social media. These children will all grow up to learn the truth. And the lies. Someday, they will read about the murders, the trials & themselves. When I think about that, I think of Diane Down’s children - especially the daughter now known as Rebecca Babcock (born in prison then adopted).

As an adult Rebecca said “The impact of Diane Downs being my mom has altered the course of my life so many times.”

As these trials move forward then behind us, as the years move on, please think of them & continue sending up your prayers or positive vibes towards the very best future for these 4 children who have forever had their lives altered. (And also for the families who are raising them).
When I was 3 years old, my sister was babysitting me one night and we were in the kitchen. Our kitchen had a window out to a back porch. Her boyfriend as a joke before he came to the door knocked on the window and had his face up close. I can still remember that to this day and had horrible anxiety about the dark and windows after dark and the 'boogy' man for years after that. I was in my late teens before I could stay by myself in a house. This wasn't a violent situation but just scared me.

Section 2945.09 - Ohio Revised Code | Ohio Laws

Section 2945.09 | Grounds for objection.

Effective, March 17, 1987

In the trial of any criminal case, the grounds of an objection to any ruling or action of the court shall be stated if required by the court.

Section 2945.13 | Joint trials in felony cases.​

Effective, October 1, 1953

When two or more persons are jointly indicted for a felony, except a capital offense, they shall be tried jointly unless the court, for good cause shown on application therefor by the prosecuting attorney or one or more of said defendants, orders one or more of said defendants to be tried separately.

Section 2945.20 | Separate trial for capital offense.​

When two or more persons are jointly indicted for a capital offense, each of such persons shall be tried separately. The court, for good cause shown on application therefor by the prosecuting attorney or one or more of the defendants, may order said defendants to be tried jointly.

Section 2945.28 | Form of oath to jury.​

Effective, May 18, 2005

(A) In criminal cases jurors and the jury shall take the following oath to be administered by the trial court or the clerk of the court of common pleas, and the jurors shall respond to the oath "I do swear" or "I do affirm": "Do you swear or affirm that you will diligently inquire into and carefully deliberate all matters between the State of Ohio and the defendant (giving the defendant's name)? Do you swear or affirm you will do this to the best of your skill and understanding, without bias or prejudice? So help you God."
A juror shall be allowed to make affirmation and the words "this you do as you shall answer under the pains and penalties of perjury" shall be substituted for the words, "So help you God."
(B) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a court that impanels a jury in a criminal case uses the oath that was in effect prior to the effective date of this amendment instead of the oath set forth in division (A) of this section, the court's use of the former oath does not invalidate or affect the validity of the impanelment of the jury or any action taken by the jury.

Section 2945.42 - Ohio Revised Code | Ohio Laws
Section 2945.42 | Competency of witnesses.
Effective, September 3, 1996

No person is disqualified as a witness in a criminal prosecution by reason of the person's interest in the prosecution as a party or otherwise or by reason of the person's conviction of crime. Husband and wife are competent witnesses to testify in behalf of each other in all criminal prosecutions and to testify against each other in all actions, prosecutions, and proceedings for personal injury of either by the other, bigamy, or failure to provide for, neglect of, or cruelty to their children under eighteen years of age or their physically or mentally handicapped child under twenty-one years of age. A spouse may testify against his or her spouse in a prosecution under a provision of sections 2903.11 to 2903.13, 2919.21, 2919.22, or 2919.25 of the Revised Code for cruelty to, neglect of, or abandonment of such spouse, in a prosecution against his or her spouse under section 2903.211 or 2911.211, of the Revised Code for the commission of the offense against the spouse who is testifying, in a prosecution under section 2919.27 of the Revised Code involving a protection order issued or consent agreement approved pursuant to section 2919.26 or 3113.31 of the Revised Code for the commission of the offense against the spouse who is testifying, or in a prosecution under section 2907.02 of the Revised Code for the commission of rape or under former section 2907.12 of the Revised Code for felonious sexual penetration against such spouse in a case in which the offense can be committed against a spouse. Such interest, conviction, or relationship may be shown for the purpose of affecting the credibility of the witness. Husband or wife shall not testify concerning a communication made by one to the other, or act done by either in the presence of the other, during coverture, unless the communication was made or act done in the known presence or hearing of a third person competent to be a witness, or in case of personal injury by either the husband or wife to the other, or rape or the former offense of felonious sexual penetration in a case in which the offense can be committed against a spouse, or bigamy, or failure to provide for, or neglect or cruelty of either to their children under eighteen years of age or their physically or mentally handicapped child under twenty-one years of age, violation of a protection order or consent agreement, or neglect or abandonment of a spouse under a provision of those sections. The presence or whereabouts of the husband or wife is not an act under this section. The rule is the same if the marital relation has ceased to exist.

Section 2945.451 | Employer may not penalize employee for being subpoenaed to criminal proceeding.

Effective, September 26, 1984

No employer shall discharge or terminate from employment, threaten to discharge or terminate from employment, or otherwise punish or penalize any employee because of time lost from regular employment as a result of the employee's attendance at any proceeding in a criminal case pursuant to a subpoena. This section generally does not require and shall not be construed to require an employer to pay an employee for time lost as a result of attendance at any criminal proceeding. However, if an employee is subpoenaed to appear at a criminal proceeding and the proceeding pertains to an offense against the employer or an offense involving the employee during the course of his employment, the employer shall not decrease or withhold the employee's pay for any time lost as a result of compliance with the subpoena. Any employer who knowingly violates this section is in contempt of court.

Section 2945.52 | Counsel appointed shall represent the defendant.
Counsel assigned by the court to represent the defendant may attend upon and represent the defendant at the taking of a deposition under section 2945.50 of the Revised Code, and said counsel shall be paid a reasonable fee for his services in taking such deposition, in addition to the compensation allowed for defending such defendant, to be fixed by the court. He shall also be allowed his actual expenses incurred in going to and from the place of taking the deposition.

Section 2945.58 - Ohio Revised Code | Ohio Laws

Section 2945.58 | Alibi.​

Effective, September 14, 2016

Whenever a defendant in a criminal cause proposes to offer in the defendant's defense, testimony to establish an alibi on the defendant's behalf, such defendant shall, not less than seven days before the trial of such cause, file and serve upon the prosecuting attorney a notice in writing of the defendant's intention to claim such alibi. Notice shall include specific information as to the place at which the defendant claims to have been at the time of the alleged offense. If the defendant fails to file such written notice, the court may exclude evidence offered by the defendant for the purpose of proving such alibi.
Section 2945.59 | Proof of defendant's motive.
In any criminal case in which the defendant's motive or intent, the absence of mistake or accident on his part, or the defendant's scheme, plan, or system in doing an act is material, any acts of the defendant which tend to show his motive or intent, the absence of mistake or accident on his part, or the defendant's scheme, plan, or system in doing the act in question may be proved, whether they are contemporaneous with or prior or subsequent thereto, notwithstanding that such proof may show or tend to show the commission of another crime by the defendant.

Section 2945.74 | Defendant may be convicted of lesser offense.​

The jury may find the defendant not guilty of the offense charged, but guilty of an attempt to commit it if such attempt is an offense at law. When the indictment or information charges an offense, including different degrees, or if other offenses are included within the offense charged, the jury may find the defendant not guilty of the degree charged but guilty of an inferior degree thereof or lesser included offense.
If the offense charged is murder and the accused is convicted by confession in open court, the court shall examine the witnesses, determine the degree of the crime, and pronounce sentence accordingly.

But why would one block someone then use their password to check their page? Why would they even have the password in the first place? That’s some stalker stuff right there. (I’m looking at you, Angela Wagner!)
That is one of many things I would like to know. How did Angela get access to someone else's facebook account. Did Hanna give the password to Jake and then never change it. That seems like it might have been the case with other's testimony in this case.

But why would one block someone then use their password to check their page? Why would they even have the password in the first place? That’s some stalker stuff right there. (I’m looking at you, Angela Wagner!)
I saw a lot of the R's FB pages, and the Ws, when this went down. If I could see them, then they were quite public. Very public. Only thing a pw would be needed for were private messenger convos that someone was not a part of.

That is one of many things I would like to know. How did Angela get access to someone else's facebook account. Did Hanna give the password to Jake and then never change it. That seems like it might have been the case with other's testimony in this case.
I think that's the case, or something similar. AW may be the conniving mastermind but I do not see her as a hacker, not a hacker in the sense of someone who is skilled in info tech. I don't see it, but I could be wrong. Hacking can be used for good or bad, however, even if a passcode is laying in plain sight, it would be hacking, unless you're given authority by the user, to use that passcode.

His complaint was about the opting out. From my understanding, he claims it is archaic. He's also perturbed about the locking of doors except during recess. Be on time bud and you won't have to worry about that. I may not agree with how he went about it, but I agree with advocacy for the first amendment and reporters rights. I am of the belief that without, at the very least, audio, we cannot get the inflection of the witness, and thus the full merit of their testimony.
The objecting-media would probably be satisfied if judge allowed audio-only. But it is too late now for Judge Deering to reverse his adamant opt-out ruling.
We are stuck with it and will probably hear very little of next week's testimony.

Ohio voters and the public as a whole should be entitled to hear witness testimony. Ohio Supreme Court voted on opting out ruling in 1997; a lot has changed in our world since then. my opinion.

AW reminds me so much of monster Gertrude Baniszewki.

Does anyone know if GW4 has claimed an alibi?

There was a lady, well, a woman, here, who decided that rather her daughter's ex start coming around more, or get extra visitation, to her grandchild, she'd just kill her adult daughter, and her daughter's two year old. She slit their throats. It's been years ago. She faced the DP but got LWOP by pleading out.

But why is he the only journalist (actually, JMO, he's a blogger, not a journalist) who is making a big deal of locking doors, etc.? There's a reason for that. It's because actual professional journalists understand the rules and oppose this creep's efforts to make the judge look bad.

They're just as supportive of first amendment rights, they're just picking and choosing the relevant issues to pursue and are doing so in a professional manner.

Ohio voters and the public as a whole should be entitled to hear witness testimony. Ohio Supreme Court voted on opting out ruling in 1997; a lot has changed in our world since then. my opinion.
Yelling at the judge and making a scene in court isn't going to help, though.

Here's the only option currently available:

The professionals in the news media have taken the matter to court. We'll have to wait and see how it goes from there.

Frankly, I don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal out of this. AW and Jake both testified on camera when they gave their confessions. They'll probably be made to do the same.

I'm uncomfortable with all the unnecessary bashing of the judge when the trial is approaching the deliberation phase.

But why is he the only journalist (actually, JMO, he's a blogger, not a journalist) who is making a big deal of locking doors, etc.? There's a reason for that. It's because actual professional journalists understand the rules and oppose this creep's efforts to make the judge look bad.

They're just as supportive of first amendment rights, they're just picking and choosing the relevant issues to pursue and are doing so in a professional manner.
Derek Myers, editor-in-chief at Scioto Valley Guardian. Doesn't sound like a blogger. I follow their site and find it well written.

The SVGuardian, the Cinci Enquirer, Sinclair Broadcasting, Law&Crime, CourtTV , WLWT Tv, WXIX, and WCPO filed the motion for media access. Myers made his objection while there was a pause in the proceedings. If I read it right, that is when he is allowed to do so. Maybe he's just got the bigger cajones? Doesn't mind getting kicked out for his beliefs? Idk but I am for his stance that we should at least be able to hear audio and see what the courtroom sees w/exception to actual graphic images. Who decides what is graphic and what is not though? The judge is an elderly judge with his own interpretation. Did you see his face during parts of TC's testimony regarding sexual acts that would send you to Hell? I bet he'd have censored that if he could have. I probably wouldn't have gone about it the way Myers did, even if I were younger, but, he has a point.

Motion for Medi Access

Derek Myers, editor-in-chief at Scioto Valley Guardian. Doesn't sound like a blogger. I follow their site and find it well written.

The SVGuardian, the Cinci Enquirer, Sinclair Broadcasting, Law&Crime, CourtTV , WLWT Tv, WXIX, and WCPO filed the motion for media access. Myers made his objection while there was a pause in the proceedings. If I read it right, that is when he is allowed to do so. Maybe he's just got the bigger cajones? Doesn't mind getting kicked out for his beliefs? Idk but I am for his stance that we should at least be able to hear audio and see what the courtroom sees w/exception to actual graphic images. Who decides what is graphic and what is not though? The judge is an elderly judge with his own interpretation. Did you see his face during parts of TC's testimony regarding sexual acts that would send you to Hell? I bet he'd have censored that if he could have. I probably wouldn't have gone about it the way Myers did, even if I were younger, but, he has a point.

Motion for Medi Access

Thanks for letting me hear your side of the story.

I still maintain the other established news media outlets are not resorting to public performances and public bashing of the judge in favor of waiting for their case to move through the courts. I trust their judgment and experience more than that of Derek's.

Bottom line, my hope is to see justice served for the evil people who conspired carried out and covered up the execution of the Rhoden family and Hanna Gilley. They are the victims here, not Derek. I don't support his agenda to sway the jury into voting to acquit GW4. JMO, that's what he's doing with is public performances and misleading "journalism".

This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it as well. I don't watch a lot of trials, but I can't recall a case in recent memory when a reporter was allowed to rise, shouting, in the courtroom, to make inflammatory and false accusations against the judge. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if someone can provide me with an example of a reporter engaging in that behavior in a US courtroom. TIA.

It would also be helpful if someone could explain how this behavior helps secure justice for the surviving friends and family of the victims who were so brutally slaughtered by the Wagner family.

ETA: I'd also be grateful to anyone who can provide me with a link to a valid source that verifies that the news media will not be able to broadcast the testimony of Jake and Angela. Otherwise its a rumor, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member