OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm I agree, I don't think LE is clueless, but I don't think there were/are any clues to who it was. I have thought it was one person, but then I keep thinking about what Bobbi jo said.

"There's blood all over the house! My brother-in-law's in the bedroom. It looks like someone has beat the hell out of him,"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...11_audio_from_ohio_rhoden_family_murders.html

The only way for someone to have time to "beat the hell out of someone" with (2) two some what large men would be if one of the (2) two was shot first then the second one was able to fight before being shot. I have also wondered if there were more then (1) murderer that Gary or Chris was beaten to get information before being shot and killed. The 18 pieces of evidence and the 32 shots to the (8) eight Rhodens I am not sure the evidence is the shell casings, IDK I have a feeling it will not be solved. jmo

“This was a preplanned execution of eight individuals,” Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said. “It was a sophisticated operation. And those who carried it out were trying to do everything they could do to hinder the investigation and their prosecution."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/25/sheriff-well-planned-and-methodical-execution-ohio-family.html

> One victim with a single gunshot wound
> One victim with two gunshot wounds
> Two victims each with three gunshot wounds
> One victim with four gunshot wounds
> Two victims each with five gunshot wounds
> One victim with nine gunshot wounds

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/rhod...-pike-county-massacre-multiple-gunshot-wounds

32 shots

DNA technicians were currently examining 18 pieces of evidence at a state crime lab.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/25/sheriff-well-planned-and-methodical-execution-ohio-family.html
Thanks for posting articles. Gary's dad never mentioned he looked like he had been beat up. And, the few relatives who spoke about him around the time of his svcs, didn't say anything about that, either. But yes, I think there was definitely a physical fight between Chris and the killers. And I think Chris was getting the best of both of them, and the gun was brought out as the equalizer, that's why he had so many shots.

I believe the shooter(s) were after one person. Someone had someone madder than a hornets nest. Maybe as you say DR. Its my opinion, the target was one person... but the remaining members of the family needed to be taken care of also, because they would KNOW who the shooter was. Bad part is no one is left alive at the homes to tell WHO it was. And if other family members have a clue they are scared to death to talk. Which in my opinion is super frightening, because if one or more of the remaining members of the family does KNOW who done it...they are a sitting duck if the perps take a notion to come back and take care of them too. (Yeah I think someone knows.)

I find it so interesting that HR just did bring that baby home before this occured.

Now as far as these children go, LE must know more than they are telling (which is next to nothing)...LE must know SOMETHING to make them think babies are in danger. The question is what on earth could it be? To keep growing babies away from their families? Are living members of family involved.... or potential targets...? Something is up with that. AND DeWine did finally come out and say "someone knew their way around"...
Someone REALLY had to know their way around to get to all these folks, get the cameras and (not being rude or anything) Not tripping over all of the "stuff" around the property. I think two people. I wish one would turn on the other!

That is my two cents worth. I have tossed other things around but i keep coming back to this.

Let's think about the fact that several family members are trying to gain custody. As opposed to reaching some kind of internal agreement amongst themselves. Points to some intrafamilial tension. And I think it is a given that family members have knowledge or suspicion of whatever was behind the killings--and likely far more than LE has been able to ascertain.

I'll wager that at least one of the family members seeking custody wants to protect one or both kids from close contact with someone or something within the family. I would also suggest that it's anybody's guess what any of the parties are likely to say in court, or may WANT to say in court. I'm personally of the opinion that kids' lives shouldn't become public record. They don't deserve to live under the cloud of some adults poor choices--regardless of how major or minor. If the only thing Reader has to fear for this kids is a public record, then I still support the decision. But, given the overall, I think that there are sufficient risks to warrant a level of protection.

Thanks for posting articles. Gary's dad never mentioned he looked like he had been beat up. And, the few relatives who spoke about him around the time of his svcs, didn't say anything about that, either. But yes, I think there was definitely a physical fight between Chris and the killers. And I think Chris was getting the best of both of them, and the gun was brought out as the equalizer, that's why he had so many shots.

Yes so many shots, (9) and iirc to his extremities. That does sound like overkill, I have wondered if the shots to the extremities were if you don't tell me ill shot you one shot to a leg, now tell me, no response, another shot to the other leg, and so on. What was wanted? who knows. I think the sequence as to what home was entered first and so on would be helpful to understanding. If it was pre planned it would seem that the killings would have happened at Kenny's camper or Dana's home and worked their way down or up the road, not back and forth. In reference to the 18 pieces of evidence, at (4) locations that is 4 1/2 pieces of evidence from each home, not much. it could be a bloody shoe print or blood that could have been from the murderer and turned out to be blood from one of the victims. jmo

Yeah, the number of shots to the victims is telling me that the person definitely did not want anybody to live through it to be able to talk to LE. Which goes back to the theory I am sticking with for now.

I also agree that someone(s) with some level of authority in that town may be hindering the investigation. I have always wondered if there is some corrupt officials in that area/town that may be getting kickbacks to look the other way on certain things.

I also highly suspect someone who worked at the post office knew of the shipments and for some reason they were not working the day they got intercepted. Using Post Office seems stupid unless you know someone is always there to make sure the package is not checked.

I know I am hung up with the Post Office bust and the potential tie in to it. :)

Regarding paternity, DNA tests do not take long to get back. I'm certain they are back. The question is, were any of the candidates a match? Maybe they just aren't releasing because either the dad is not suitable for custody, or the dad is in danger, or the child is on danger.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Or the dad isn't one of the interested parties.

Yeah, If you watch his interviews and how his eyes blink twice as much when asked a difficult question, it kinda gives him away IMO. It's like he is being so....careful when he answers. With half the state's investigators there in the beginning (the impressions I got) why are there no answers by now? Why are they holding back? Something is not right about how this is going.
I'm tired of hearing about how many tips, so called rewards, costs of this case, and "human interest stories". You know with all the interviews Miss Graves has done, with a number of the families I think she knows a lot more than she's printed to. Somebody "big" is holding off all these news stations. Why?

Because they are going for a conviction--not a scoop.

Yes so many shots, (9) and iirc to his extremities. That does sound like overkill, I have wondered if the shots to the extremities were if you don't tell me ill shot you one shot to a leg, now tell me, no response, another shot to the other leg, and so on. What was wanted? who knows. I think the sequence as to what home was entered first and so on would be helpful to understanding. If it was pre planned it would seem that the killings would have happened at Kenny's camper or Dana's home and worked their way down or up the road, not back and forth. In reference to the 18 pieces of evidence, at (4) locations that is 4 1/2 pieces of evidence from each home, not much. it could be a bloody shoe print or blood that could have been from the murderer and turned out to be blood from one of the victims. jmo

Yea. Its either trying to get information from him or it could have been only to punish him for being a suspected informant.

Let me just add too that informants are not always informants because they want to be one. When there is a bust like what happened in the post office bust then LE practically forces the people involved to try to become informants to get to the bigger fish. So when I make reference to informant it is not necessarily someone that really liked LE or even wanted to work with them. They could have felt forced into it in order to get a reduced sentence themselves. Which is very very common.

The reason that PO bust has me thinking so much about it was it happened shortly before these murders and the articles pretty much said LE was going to go after the bigger fish before arresting anyone. Nobody was arrested and no news was given out about who was involved at the time. Which told me they started to force someone to help them get to the bigger fish.

I dont have the old articles handy right now and I wont keep harping about that theory. Just wanted to better explain that informants are not necessarily people that wanted to be one.

Yeah, the number of shots to the victims is telling me that the person definitely did not want anybody to live through it to be able to talk to LE. Which goes back to the theory I am sticking with for now.

I also agree that someone(s) with some level of authority in that town may be hindering the investigation. I have always wondered if there is some corrupt officials in that area/town that may be getting kickbacks to look the other way on certain things.

I also highly suspect someone who worked at the post office knew of the shipments and for some reason they were not working the day they got intercepted. Using Post Office seems stupid unless you know someone is always there to make sure the package is not checked.

I know I am hung up with the Post Office bust and the potential tie in to it. :)

There certainly is a history corruption.

I agree with regard to considering the importance of the PO bust. First, it establishes an out-of-state connection. Second, it always sounded fishy to me that it was the smell that alerted the PO personnel (seems like the kind of thing that was preventable)--more like someone knew what to watch for. Also, the extracting operation ups the ante on what was going on locally (not just small grows). And even if there was no tip-off, it did result in a bust, meaning someone with info in a position to deal info for a lighter sentence.

Anyway--I would definitely keep it on the table.

I have questions about that pot shipment, but at the same time, it passed thru several P.O.'s before it got to its destination. THEN suddenly it started smelling?? I doubt that! I think other stops it made along the way ignored it because they didn't want the hassle of dealing with LE. But I don't see how it might be connected to the Rhodens.

Or the dad isn't one of the interested parties.
I just hope Jake or Charlie one end up being the dad. We have no info on the other person, and it may be that Hanna was able to rule him out at the time of the first sono. They are very reliable as to determining date of conception, I would say seven days.

I have questions about that pot shipment, but at the same time, it passed thru several P.O.'s before it got to its destination. THEN suddenly it started smelling?? I doubt that! I think other stops it made along the way ignored it because they didn't want the hassle of dealing with LE. But I don't see how it might be connected to the Rhodens.

I agree there is no proven connection yet but 3 things for me so far.

1-It was a large shipment of MJ that could be used to make the other oil substance that I am pretty sure we found out they were making as well. They would need a lot of MJ to make that oil and probably could not grow enough so they needed supplies of it to make the oil.

2-If I remember it correctly I think the PO was relatively close to their house. I am not 100 percent sure about that but that was the impression I got.

To my knowledge LE has still never charged anyone yet and never told the public who the person was that came to pick up the shipment. From the articles we do know LE waited for the person and they got them. The news implied that LE was going to go after the suppliers before charges and arrests. So until we know who it was that LE found out to get the shipment then its on the table for me as possibly connected.

ETA---added #3
3-The timing of the bust was shortly before the murders.

If a bloody shoe print was left behind, even if the blood belonged to one of the victims, LE could still determine size, and manufacturer by design on the sole.
A few years back, there was a murder featured on one of the news crime shows, and because of the bloody print, they eventually found the killer. The shoes were new, and after cleaning them, he went to another store where you could actually exchange gently used for another pair. His excuse was they didn't fit right. LE went to the store and looked at the traded in shoes. When they found the shoes, the clerk was able to give a good description of the customer, and fit the description of the suspect. He was convicted!

I also highly suspect someone who worked at the post office knew of the shipments and for some reason they were not working the day they got intercepted.
Using Post Office seems stupid unless you know someone is always there to make sure the package is not checked.

bbm I had not given that a thought.

o/t Years ago I worked with a woman who's family had a beach house, OC md and going down for the weekend there was a package on her porch. She took it in and opened it to find lots of Quaalude's and a couple flannel shirts, she called the police and turned it in. It was addressed to her addy with her husbands name. It was not theirs. She said after weeks of interviews and phone calls from LE and suspicion on them, she would throw it away if it ever happened again. Believe me when I tell you she was not the quaalude type. So the idea that someone was not there that day to receive that package makes sense if true.

“I received a phone call from the Piketon postmaster who advised that they had a rather large box that weighed 38 pounds at the post office. She suspected that it had marijuana in it, due to the fact that she could smell it,” said Sheriff Reader.

Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 1:45 pm

http://www.newswatchman.com/news/article_2b29ce0c-27a4-5f3b-9c28-ff921fe53003.html

9:07 p.m. EDT June 20, 2016
Pike prosecutor dropping 'shatter lab' charges
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...s-dropped-derek-boyer-aaron-higgins/86145380/

The Pike County prosecutor says charges against two men related to the discovery of an alleged "shatter lab" in January will be dropped.

But that doesn't mean Derek G. Boyer, of Piketon, and Aaron Higgins, of Beaver, are off the hook.

Prosecutor Rob Junk said dropping the four felonies against each man will give investigators more time to process the evidence collected during a Jan. 26 search warrant that resulted in last week's arrest.

Sheriff: More suspects in shatter lab investigation
7:51 p.m. EDT August 23, 2016
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...-suspects-shatter-lab-investigation/89201948/

Junk said he is waiting on the Pike County Sheriff's Office to finish investigating the case before presenting it to a grand jury for possible indictment. That includes having more evidence collected and tested by Ohio's Bureau of Criminal Investigation. Junk said it could be another month or two before the case is ready to be heard by a grand jury.

Junk said he sent a letter to Reader's office that listed everything he wanted done before he could take the case to a Pike County grand jury. Those items included DNA and fingerprinting, Junk said. Reader confirmed he received the letter, and he said it was the first time in the 15 months he has been sheriff he's received such a letter this from the prosecutor's office.

If a bloody shoe print was left behind, even if the blood belonged to one of the victims, LE could still determine size, and manufacturer by design on the sole.
A few years back, there was a murder featured on one of the news crime shows, and because of the bloody print, they eventually found the killer. The shoes were new, and after cleaning them, he went to another store where you could actually exchange gently used for another pair. His excuse was they didn't fit right. LE went to the store and looked at the traded in shoes. When they found the shoes, the clerk was able to give a good description of the customer, and fit the description of the suspect. He was convicted!

Oh yeah, the oj case, the Bruno Magli lorenzo boots size 12. :)

Yea. Its either trying to get information from him or it could have been only to punish him for being a suspected informant.

bbm Well dang I had not thought of that angle either. Hmmm

They can also determine gait by wearing of the soles and get a close estimate of weight. Then they can compare and get a match with suspect's other shoes.

Along with the more than 100 pieces of forensic evidence collected at the scene in the days following the killings, DeWine said his agents are currently working through thousands of pages and files of digital data. Investigators are using cell phone tracking technology to help churn up leads, as well as social media postings and social media communications to – and from – the Rhodens.

http://www.fox19.com/story/32439511...gation-the-possibility-it-may-never-be-solved

“When you lie down at night, does it ever cross your mind that there is a possibility that this case may never be solved,” Barr asked DeWine. “I still believe we’re going to solve this case. Is it possible we never solve it? Sure. Is it possible it goes on for years and then it’s solved later? Sure,” DeWine said.

“I’m convinced in the end we will figure out who did it. But, we’re not there yet,” DeWine said. < ? :thinking:

If there were more then one, and one of the two was not the shooter and would happen to get arrested for something else then maybe then he will make a deal and talk. maybe jmo idk

I believe the shooter(s) were after one person. Someone had someone madder than a hornets nest. Maybe as you say DR. Its my opinion, the target was one person... but the remaining members of the family needed to be taken care of also, because they would KNOW who the shooter was. Bad part is no one is left alive at the homes to tell WHO it was. And if other family members have a clue they are scared to death to talk. Which in my opinion is super frightening, because if one or more of the remaining members of the family does KNOW who done it...they are a sitting duck if the perps take a notion to come back and take care of them too. (Yeah I think someone knows.)

I find it so interesting that HR just did bring that baby home before this occured.

Now as far as these children go, LE must know more than they are telling (which is next to nothing)...LE must know SOMETHING to make them think babies are in danger. The question is what on earth could it be? To keep growing babies away from their families? Are living members of family involved.... or potential targets...? Something is up with that. AND DeWine did finally come out and say "someone knew their way around"...
Someone REALLY had to know their way around to get to all these folks, get the cameras and (not being rude or anything) Not tripping over all of the "stuff" around the property. I think two people. I wish one would turn on the other!

That is my two cents worth. I have tossed other things around but i keep coming back to this.
I agree overall. I just wonder about the fact no arrest has been made. In particular since LE seems really convinced the perps were familiar with the homes. The case is obviously stalled somewhere after 4 months.

Either:

1) LE has a suspect and they need to close all the other tracks to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. We could expect an arrest any time
2) LE has a suspect but not enough to convict. They need a confession. It could take time or never happen

If it's a really intuitive crime committed by someone close, then I would expect LE to have him/her in the radar.

Or

3) LE really doesn't have a suspect. Then it probably takes the case outside of family / extended family. Considering the protection of the children requested by the Sheriff, it would make the case quite mysterious.

Let's think about the fact that several family members are trying to gain custody. As opposed to reaching some kind of internal agreement amongst themselves. Points to some intrafamilial tension. And I think it is a given that family members have knowledge or suspicion of whatever was behind the killings--and likely far more than LE has been able to ascertain.

I'll wager that at least one of the family members seeking custody wants to protect one or both kids from close contact with someone or something within the family. I would also suggest that it's anybody's guess what any of the parties are likely to say in court, or may WANT to say in court. I'm personally of the opinion that kids' lives shouldn't become public record. They don't deserve to live under the cloud of some adults poor choices--regardless of how major or minor. If the only thing Reader has to fear for this kids is a public record, then I still support the decision. But, given the overall, I think that there are sufficient risks to warrant a level of protection.
You make a good point about the tensions. Although these tensions are between families and not as much within imo. That's interesting.

As I understand:
1) the Manleys
2) the Gilleys

There is a 3rd family apparently. Is it with the Rhodens ? Or JW ? JW is requesting for his child, I dont know if he is asking for K as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3