OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone find it interesting that Gary is being buried at the Miller Family Cemetery located on Little White Oak according to my research. The Rhoden family cemetery is on Tick Ridge Road which is 14 miles away. According to my research- which may not include all burials at Miller Cemetery- there is one other Rhodens buried at Miller Cemetery. There are 35 Rhodens documented in the Rhoden Cemetery.

This explains that the Rhoden family cemetary is in Kentucky. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/04/27/rhoden-relative-a-man-cant-bear-it.html

LUCASVILLE, Ohio — The Rhoden family cemetery lies deep inside Kentucky, a small but pretty plot of land where this hardworking Appalachian family has buried its kin for generations.

But only one week ago, as Tony Rhoden drove his 73-year-old mother to an appointment to see about this pesky foot that bothers her so, talk turned to death.

When her time comes, Geneva Rhoden told her son, don’t bury her so far away. Find someplace closer to Pike and Adams and Scioto counties, which the latest generations of Rhodens call home.

They knew right away that Scioto Burial Park in nearby Rushtown would be perfect. But Tony worried.

“I told her, ‘Mom, I don’t want you to be there by yourself,’ ” he said. As he recalled the story on Tuesday, the grief overtook him, and his big and strong laborer’s body folded in on itself. The sobs shook his body. “Now I’ve got five to go in there. Where do you start? What do you do? I’m just lost.”

>>> Pike County killings: Complete coverage

The five he spoke of: his younger brother, Christopher Rhoden Sr.; his niece, Hanna Rhoden; his two nephews, Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden and Christopher Rhoden Jr.; and Dana Rhoden, Chris Sr.’s former wife and the children’s mother. They all soon will be buried side by side at Scioto.

Yet that isn’t the end of this unspeakable tragedy that has rocked all of Pike County since Friday.

Another brother, 44-year-old Kenneth Rhoden, is dead, too. He will be buried at Mound Cemetery in Piketon beside a son taken by cancer. A cousin, 38-year-old Gary Rhoden, will have his funeral in South Shore, Kentucky.

The Botkin Hornback Funeral Home in Waverly is handling arrangements for Hannah Gilley, Frankie’s 20-year-old fiancee and mother of his 6-month-old son. No dates or times for any services have been set.

“Such agony,” Tony, 48, said simply, sitting down as a Rhoden family representative to speak with The Dispatch. “I can’t make sense of it all.”

The eight family members were shot to death sometime between midnight Thursday and early Friday in their homes along Union Hill and West Left Fork roads in Piketon. Dana’s sister discovered the first of what would become four crime scenes just before 8 a.m. Friday when she went to feed the family’s dogs and chickens.

>>> Photos: The victims

The Ohio attorney general’s office and Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader have said the killings were well-planned, sophisticated and methodical, and that the Rhoden family was targeted. If investigators know why, they haven’t publicly said. No suspects have been named, and no one has been arrested.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine has repeatedly said the victims were shot execution-style in the head, most while sleeping. On Tuesday, though, the coroners from Pike and Hamilton County (where the bodies were autopsied) said only one victim was shot once. The rest had multiple gunshots to the head and body. One victim was shot nine times, and two were shot five times. In addition, some had bruises.

The coroner’s report did not indicate which victim suffered what wounds.

The family was told privately of the findings not long before the report was made public.

“You wake up, you break down. You talk to someone, you cry,” Tony said. “No one in the world can imagine going through this. No one.”

Dan Tierney, spokesman for the attorney general’s office, said the office had not seen the autopsy reports before they were released. Asked whether the findings change the way state investigators have described the killings — as carefully planned executions — Tierney said DeWine stands by those earlier statements.

Also Tuesday, DeWine said that 61 additional pieces of evidence have been submitted as high priority to the state crime labs (for a total of 79) and that additional search warrants have been executed.

>>> Pike County killings: The facts of the case

Authorities disclosed on Sunday that they uncovered marijuana grow sites at three of the four homes, as well as evidence that chickens were being bred for cockfighting. No one has said whether investigators think any of that has any relevance to the killings.

Tony, who doesn’t live on those same Rhoden family properties, said he heard about the discovery of the marijuana operations but hasn’t digested that yet.

“I haven’t been able to bring myself to ask nobody,” he said. “I have to bury my family first. I can’t do that yet.”
A working family

The decks at some of the 300-plus permanent campsites at Big Bear Lake Family Resort in Lucasville look ripped from the pages of a magazine about mansions. They are multi-level and ornate, with octagonal roofs, fancy finials and intricate detail.

Chris Sr. worked for resort owner Robin Waddell at this and another campground for more than 20 years. When he worked, his hands infused love and pride into every board, Waddell said.

“He was the most talented carpenter I’d ever seen,” Waddell said. “And he was a great friend."

There were nine siblings in the Tony/Chris Sr./Kenneth Rhoden line. They are spread out in different places and states, but they stay in touch. And no one ever missed the family reunion each year.

Everyone was a hard worker, Tony said. Kenneth drove to Columbus to work every day, and Chris Sr. liked to fix up cars. That’s why Gary was staying in Piketon, to help him with them.

The fact that Dana, 37, and Chris Sr., 40, were still close, even after their divorce, and lived in different houses on the same property, says it all, Tony said.

“Once you’re in my family, you’re in,” he said. “We’re just that way.”
The Rhoden kids

For Chris and Dana Rhoden's boys — 20-year-old Frankie, a father of two, and Chris Jr., a 16-year-old high-school freshman — hunting and fishing were favorite pastimes.

Frankie built and ran demolition-derby cars and was a “big ol’ boy, stout as an ox,” Tony said. He loved his coon dogs and his kids.

Waddell said both the boys were hard workers, as was their sister Hanna, the one in the family who kept everyone laughing. Hanna, 19, was such a hard worker that she stayed at her nursing home job until just two weeks ago, a few days before her daughterwas born, which was just four days before the killings.

Chris Sr. would come to work on a project at the resort and the kids would tag along. Chris Jr. told people he worked there, too, but he more often than not ended up with a fishing pole in his hand down at the lake.

When Tony speaks of Chris Jr., those soul-shaking sobs return. He chokes out his words.

"He’s just got his driver’s license, you know? You remember how that feels? To get your license? Those kids had their whole lives ahead of ’em. Their whole lives. How do we get over that?”
Family strength

The past five days have been unimaginable heartbreak. The unrelenting grief, the rumors, the stories that his relatives might have been wrapped up in ugliness and somehow brought death upon themselves. Figuring out how to pay for the funerals and burials of an entire family.

The weight of it all can be too much. And then Tony brings the conversation back to his mom.

In the kind of family so large that you have to tick off names on your fingers to make certain you don’t miss anyone, there must always be a matriarch.

And Geneva Rhoden is it.

Tony said she has pulled this family together since Friday, and the strings of her iron will and resolve are all that are holding them up.

“I just wanna hide, you know?” he said. “But Mom? I don’t know where she gets her strength. I don’t know how she’s pulling the strength out of herself, but she does. I just can’t. A man can’t bear it.”

A fund to help the family with funeral expenses has been established. Donations may be made to the Rhoden Family Fund at any Fifth Third Bank, or sent directly to the Roger W. Davis Funeral Home, 1310 3rd St., West Portsmouth, Ohio 45663.

Tips can be called in to authorities at 1-855-BCI-OHIO (224-6446) or 740-947-2111.

Dispatch Reporter Rita Price contributed to this story.

hzachariah@dispatch.com

I'm not sure you have to have background checks and the whole sha-bang to buy silencers?
Steelman,,,,,, where are you, we need your expertise.

an midget cop (1).gif
DeWine......patrol officer

It's pretty easy to actually make a silencer out of odds and ends a lot of guys have in their workshop, a homemade silencer, so to speak. I don't want to get into the semantics about silencer versus suppressor and all of that. Suppressor is the term used by the gun manufacturers, silencer is the term used by people that love gangster movies.......it's pretty much one and the same.

Someone who is planning to murder 8 people would most likely not buy a suppressor on the free market. All a silencer/suppressor does is redistribute the muzzle blast so it is muffled. For instance, a 6" long piece of steel pipe, drilled with holes and wrapped with cotton, fitted to the end of a pistol would create a pretty fair amount of suppression all by itself. I've seen people make silencers out of 2 liter coke bottles full of cotton. You wouldn't believe how something so primitive and simple almost completely eliminates the muzzle blast, but it does. We've all seen movies where a bad guy grabs a pillow, puts over the victims head, shoves the muzzle of the gun down into the pillow and pulls the trigger. That's pretty much the entire concept of a silencer. If the force of the muzzle blast is sheltered from the open air and absorbed by something soft, it will be much much quieter.

Much like everything else in this country, there would be plenty of ways for people to either make their own silencer, get it on the black market, or have an unscrupulous gunsmith do it for them. The type of people we are dealing with here probably have plenty of sources to pick from when it comes to getting their guns outfitted to their liking. Illegal ? Probably, but these aren't the type of people that are worried about breaking the law, now are they ?

I don't know if suppressors were used in this case or not, they may have just used a pillow over their head just like I described earlier, maybe that's why there were so many shots to each victim.

IMO, and I think the sheriff stated something to the affect, that they would have multiple police at and near ALL of the funerals for the remaining families protection and peace of mind.

ETA: SNIP> Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said that security would be tight at all the funerals — the others are planned for Saturday and Tuesday — and officers from Ohio and Kentucky were at the funeral home, both in the parking lot and inside.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/04/28/piketon-gary-rhoden-funeral.html

I dont understand all this police "guarding". If it was serious drug hit those guys are gone. If it local - those people have killed who they need to . The only reason I can think of where someone left is in danger is AFTER all this they told . (ratted someone out)

But how would anyone else in the community know that at this point. I think this is all media show. And it sure does not help locals feel safe. If I was going to a funeral and the army was out front I do not think I would be all that relaxed .....................

As the retired agent said in the interview, it appears the people who did this conducted a lot of surveillance in advance of the murders. They likely knew where the cameras were before they got there.

They knew where everyone lived, what they did, their daily routines, when they went to bed and when they got up, etc.

Here's a quote from the retired agent's interview that didn't appear in the text with the article, but is important.

"You would have to have somebody inside that had turned and made a deal, who had gotten arrested for something else, who provided this information."

Someone helped do surveillance and told the killers where to find the security cameras. The Daily Mail interview is kind of confusing, but if Kenneth's cameras were inside his home, someone shared that info with the killers. If outside, someone staking the place out would see them. There wasn't a need to remove them in advance, they just needed to find and take them all after the killing.

And they could also have killed the informant if there was one. Very clean that way.

Wasn't it Leonard who said the dogs weren't there?

Leonard seemed to think that whoever did this KNEW the dogs, or they would have reacted. So he obviously thought that the dogs WERE there, but Bobby claimed that when she got there to do her feeding rounds, the dogs WERE NOT THERE, which is why she claimed to have gotten her key out to enter Chris's abode. Perhaps she lied, but that is what she purported to be the case, when she called 911. JMO

The 1 o clock male caller had no idea where he was also !!

It was years before I knew my father in law's address. I went there. I didn't need directions, LOL. I really don't think the fact they didn't know the addresses is anything suspicious.

They still haven't shown anything on WHIO.tv

I'm going to make a guess here. The dive team conveniently showed up while all the family was away at Gary's funeral. I'm guessing LE doesn't want someone to know what they're doing.

Since these two were out of bed, they may be the (only?) ones who put up some resistance. I wouldn't be surprised if they were shot multiple times (by multiple assailants?) because of it. The ones who were in bed were probably quickly dispatched with a couple of shots. The time of the murders no doubt was designed to catch everyone by surprise with no chance to defend themselves. It also happened when there would be little chance of someone being out on the roads. That the 911 caller thought the first two were beaten probably means that their faces were bloodied (to a pulp?). She obviously didn't know they had been shot. But a shot(s) to the face could easily do enough damage to make a person think, if she didn't do a close examination, that they were beaten up. My guess is that the killers wanted to do their deeds as quickly and cleanly as possible. In this one scene, at least, it probably wasn't quite as quick and clean as they intended.

Here is when I get lost. Going in reverse order - 9 shots to kill someone makes me think it would be someone like me who has never seen a real a gun! The five shot victim would be someone who has seen one but never touched one much less fired one . Your with me .

I mean we are talking about relativily close spaces , It would take me 9 shots to hit you. But they all going out murdering small animals for fun. I would think a human would be easier to hit than a squrril- so there is something very weird here ...........................

or total pcp/meth/heroin blurry vision rage ???? 9 shots?????????????????

They seem to be a lot like country rednecks but more suspicious of outsiders than country rednecks are.

I am a country red neck. I live an hour north of a Big City but we are in the Appalachian Mountains- population 1400. Everyone knows everyone- and I mean everyone that is local knows everyone. I would help any one I know with anything they had. But outsiders are treated- well like outsiders. If you were not born and raised here you may never be considered a "local". I wouldn't say we are "suspicious" of outsiders- but that our lifestyle and there's are vastly different. I don't appreciate people from the city coming in and throwing their money around and acting like we're here to serve them when they come to our area (leaf season in October). I can walk into a local store and pick out someone that's local and someone that's not just by the way they dress and act. So it's not "suspicion"- it's a culture difference- and a big one.

in this video around the :30 mark, it shows an aerial of one of the victims homes.
if you are looking at the mobile home, to the left are the A frame structures BUT between the home and the A frame
structures is something flat and black and as wide as the end of the mobile home. Does anyone know what that is?
[video=youtube;PN_rEotDdi8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_rEotDdi8[/video]

Really hard to tell. It looks like a black tarp. I would think something like that would be a makeshift gardening area, like for non-marijuana plants? Like maybe a raised garden bed, if the ground is not suitable for planting? That would seem kind of odd though.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...r-victims-says-killer-should-be-tortured.html

The first of eight family members gunned down in Pike County was laid to rest Thursday.

“It's a sad day very sad day", Kenneth*Rhoden, father of GaryRhoden, said.

In a slow moving procession down a red dirt road in Kentucky, the body of Gary*Rhoden*was taken to its final resting place.

[...]

His father says the coroner told him Gary was shot three times in the head.

Kenneth believes the person or persons responsible knew the family.

[...]

Kenneth said according to the coroner there were two different bullet casings found at the scene, leading him to believe this crimes were the acts of more than one person.

Trying to figure this out.

Body with one gunshot wound = Kenneth (also possibly had cash strewn about his feet)

Body with two gunshot wounds = ?

Body 1 with three gunshot wounds = Gary (three GSW to the head. He was found slumped over Chris Sr.)

Body 2 with three gunshot wounds = ?

Body with four gunshot wounds = ?

Body 1 with five gunshot wounds = ?

Body 2 with five gunshot wounds = ?

Body with nine gunshot wounds = ?

It was years before I knew my father in law's address. I went there. I didn't need directions, LOL. I really don't think the fact they didn't know the addresses is anything suspicious.

I agree. I would have to look up the actual address of several people I see regularly -- I could give you directions to get to their houses but offhand I have no idea of the proper addresses unless I checked.

Really hard to tell. It looks like a black tarp. I would think something like that would be a makeshift gardening area, like for non-marijuana plants? Like maybe a raised garden bed, if the ground is not suitable for planting? That would seem kind of odd though.

What this profiler says is interesting about the Family Annihilator and it might fit if not for the number of people dead here. The profile he gives is of a lone perp and that's just not the case here.

in this video around the :30 mark, it shows an aerial of one of the victims homes.
if you are looking at the mobile home, to the left are the A frame structures BUT between the home and the A frame
structures is something flat and black and as wide as the end of the mobile home. Does anyone know what that is?

It looks to me like some kind of homemade swimming pool or watering trough for the dogs. It is located right next to all the dog houses. Side note: Who has THAT MANY DOGS?!

It's pretty easy to actually make a silencer out of odds and ends a lot of guys have in their workshop, a homemade silencer, so to speak. I don't want to get into the semantics about silencer versus suppressor and all of that. Suppressor is the term used by the gun manufacturers, silencer is the term used by people that love gangster movies.......it's pretty much one and the same.

Someone who is planning to murder 8 people would most likely not buy a suppressor on the free market. All a silencer/suppressor does is redistribute the muzzle blast so it is muffled. For instance, a 6" long piece of steel pipe, drilled with holes and wrapped with cotton, fitted to the end of a pistol would create a pretty fair amount of suppression all by itself. I've seen people make silencers out of 2 liter coke bottles full of cotton. You wouldn't believe how something so primitive and simple almost completely eliminates the muzzle blast, but it does. We've all seen movies where a bad guy grabs a pillow, puts over the victims head, shoves the muzzle of the gun down into the pillow and pulls the trigger. That's pretty much the entire concept of a silencer. If the force of the muzzle blast is sheltered from the open air and absorbed by something soft, it will be much much quieter.

Much like everything else in this country, there would be plenty of ways for people to either make their own silencer, get it on the black market, or have an unscrupulous gunsmith do it for them. The type of people we are dealing with here probably have plenty of sources to pick from when it comes to getting their guns outfitted to their liking.

Illegal ? Probably, but these aren't the type of people that are worried about breaking the law, now are they ?

If these were locals, I don't believe anyone would go to the trouble of using suppressors much less making them. I don't believe they were used at all. Yes, a pillow over the head would have a greater effect than anything else. But, with multiple gunshot wounds on all but 1 o of the victims, including many in limbs, I don't believe a pillow would have been used. Maybe for the victim with the single shot to the head.

I dont understand all this police "guarding". If it was serious drug hit those guys are gone. If it local - those people have killed who they need to . The only reason I can think of where someone left is in danger is AFTER all this they told . (ratted someone out)

But how would anyone else in the community know that at this point. I think this is all media show. And it sure does not help locals feel safe. If I was going to a funeral and the army was out front I do not think I would be all that relaxed .....................

bbm Do you mean that the ones that have been murdered deserved it? or are not worthy of investigation? TIA

So if (8) eight of your family members were shot dead at 4 different locations you would not feel the need for protection if you lived near by and shared the last name.?

A deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members