OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior statements by the sheriff were based on information they had at that time. New information has been discovered.
In fact, full statement..

"We have no new information that would indicate that there is a threat to any of the members of the family," DeWine told The Associated Press in an interview before speaking at an opiate-related conference in Columbus. "We don't have any information on that. And we did not when we initially said it other than the fact we had eight people killed."

So today there was never a reason for them to think there was a threat, they say that.. So why did they say there was a threat without any reason?

Nothing has changed on that front according to what the DA is saying, he is saying the info about that is the same today as day one concerning the threat.

They made a big deal about the threat and they still are. I think there is likely a threat.

His actions and words about this contradict the above statement.

I completely agree with you here. This was a contradiction to what was stated in the initial presser. He did not have to add that last couple sentences. It's confusing.
Thank you! It seems so simple to me, I'm not sure why some can't see it.

Yeah, I don't know much about country/rural life. But I know for sure that stereotypes and racial bias are alive and well. There's evidence of it in this thread. No one assumed Chris Jr was in a gang, and he was online in fights, but as soon as a Black kid does it, they're in a gang! Not cool.
I apologize if you think it is I that comes off as stereotyping or being racially biased. If it is me I want to clear the air. When my family gets together for holiday dinners,weddings and vacations we are a bunch of many colors. I may be a little skinny hillbilly accent talking moon white woman but I proudly flaunt my mixed race family when I'm asked about them. I do not attend churches or gatherings where any of my black family might be looked at funny. I do not pull what I'm saying about gangs out of the air or just by what I've read on the internet. I have studied gangs for 2-3 years. I have mentioned that. Let me clarify a little more. I have had the opportunity with one of my occupations to work alongside some excellent LEs who have been combatting the problem in rural areas. It is a common misconception that gangs only form up with their own races. I do not think along those lines because I've seen differently. These younger hybrid ones are more ruthless and work more kamikaze style. While you probably won't find a black in a white rascist gang it's not uncommon to find whites in say the bloods or GDs. Just looking thru the waverly ohio crowd I'm gonna say if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck.

Aww, bless his heart. (video)

Relative calls Rhodens 'a very good family'

“That was a very loving family, a very good family,” said Eugene Smith, who was related to the Rhodens by a previous marriage.

“Yes, there were marijuana, but how many of those girls that’s in there had anything much to do with marijuana?” Smith said.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/relative-calls-rhodens-a-very-good-family

I must have missed Dewine's statement today. Everything I've read is regurgitated from the last time he spoke except the new totals on interviews, evidence etc...

"We have no new information that would indicate that there is a threat to any of the members of the family," DeWine told The Associated Press in an interview before speaking at an opiate-related conference in Columbus. "We don't have any information on that. And we did not when we initially said it other than the fact we had eight people killed."

When you have a random murder it would be asinine to say everyone with the same last name is in danger. When you have 8 family members killed in one night at 4 different locations, with no motive and no suspect, it would be just as asinine to not assume the family was targeted and any remaining family members could very possibly be in danger.
He also didn't say there is zero danger to other Rhodens, he said they don't have any information to indicate there is. Those are two very different things.

They never said there was a threat to other Rhodens. They advised all citizens of Pike county to be cautious, and especially the Rhodens. Again, I think politically it may be a gaffe, but it was a common sense approach. Common sense and politics are seldom bedfellows. We also don't know what they said to the family. They may very well have told the family they had no indication of any threat but would recommend caution and offered protection anyways, because 8 of their family members had just been killed.
Yes they did say there was a threat to other Rhodens. They said the community wasn't in danger. They said they offered protective custody to other Rhodens.

They admitted they said other Rhodens were in danger in what you posted.

In fact, full statement..

So today there was never a reason for them to think there was a threat, they say that.. So why did they say there was a threat without any reason?

Nothing has changed on that front according to what the DA is saying, he is saying the info about that us the same today as day one concerning the threat.

They made a big deal about the threat and they still are. I think there is likely a threat.

His actions and words about this contradict the above statement.

Exactly. They had no information in the beginning, so it was prudent to believe the threat was still active.

Regardless of what anyone has said, if I had 8 family members killed, I would consider myself in danger then, now and in the future (at least until an arrest is made, etc)

And IMO, it all boils down to, whatever he said then or now would more than likely be picked apart by someone. And does it really matter...what's said is said....done deal. Nobody can change it, so therefore IMO, I don't worry about or concentrate on things that I cannot change, but that's JMO. Hopefully we can move along now.....

It was the proper response in the beginning because they didn't know what they were dealing with. They didn't know anything but felt it was a good idea for other family members to protect themselves out of an abundance of caution.
Never said it wasn't the proper response, said the opposite. What I said today is they are saying there was no threat never has been.

I think it was proper because there was a threat.

Exactly. They had no information in the beginning, so it was prudent to believe the threat was still active.
So they offered protective custody and told people they were in danger for no reason whatsoever?

Isaiah and Larry are two seperate people. Both were involved in the ride out to Union Hill rd to fight. They are cousins. I don't think the press has mixed them up. It looks more like to me that people have them mixed up. The Larry guy was taken in by his dad to be cleared. Isaiah was taken in after a traffic stop.

Yep, it was Isaiah in the video being arrested with swat around him. I thought it was Larry, because the video is blurry. Interesting they took his phones and clothes.
Jones maintains while he knew the Rhoden's and had differences in the past, he was home when the execution-style murders took place and his home security camera will back up his story.

In the meantime, Jones says he's still considered a suspect in the case.
He says he submitted a DNA sample for investigators, who also took clothing, and cell phones from his property as evidence.

I just want to point out some people have more than one cellphone for a reason. I also find it interesting he had differences, this wasn't just one incident before this happened. Some people have connections they work for, or deal business with, just sayin'. The fact a person is home with a security camera to prove it doesn't mean they don't know what activities might be happening that they would need proof they're not involved.

Yes they did say there was a threat to other Rhodens. They said the community wasn't in danger. They said they offered protective custody to other Rhodens.

They admitted they said other Rhodens were in danger in what you posted.

Did Dewine originally say there was a threat to the other rhodens or did just the sheriff say that?

Regardless of what anyone has said, if I had 8 family members killed, I would consider myself in danger then, now and in the future (at least until an arrest is made, etc)

And IMO, it all boils down to, whatever he said then or now would more than likely be picked apart by someone. And does it really matter...what's said is said....done deal. Nobody can change it, so therefore IMO, I don't worry about or concentrate on things that I cannot change, but that's JMO. Hopefully we can move along now.....
It's the lies that are the problem. This is a professional politician, he knows what he is doing.

I'm tired of the lies where this case is concerned. This is beyond keeping things close to the vest.

Never said it wasn't the proper response, said the opposite. What I said today is they are saying there was no threat never has been.

I think it was proper because there was a threat.

BBM I wouldn't say they are saying that exactly. They very well may believe now that in hindsight there wasn't a threat. In the beginning, in the moment, they really didn't know.

Did Dewine originally say there was a threat to the other rhodens or did just the sheriff say that?
It was said at the presser with the Sheriff and the DA and more than once. I believe it was also addressed in a scrum when the DA was out and about.

BBM I wouldn't say they are saying that exactly. They very well may believe now that in hindsight there wasn't a threat. In the beginning, in the moment, they really didn't know.
How are they not saying that? They said they had nothing to base a threat on other than the last name of murdered people.

When you have a random murder it would be asinine to say everyone with the same last name is in danger. When you have 8 family members killed in one night at 4 different locations, with no motive and no suspect, it would be just as asinine to not assume the family was targeted and any remaining family members could very possibly be in danger.
He also didn't say there is zero danger to other Rhodens, he said they don't have any information to indicate there is. Those are two very different things.

They never said there was a threat to other Rhodens. They advised all citizens of Pike county to be cautious, and especially the Rhodens. Again, I think politically it may be a gaffe, but it was a common sense approach. Common sense and politics are seldom bedfellows. We also don't know what they said to the family. They may very well have told the family they had no indication of any threat but would recommend caution and offered protection anyways, because 8 of their family members had just been killed.

Very well said. Thank you.

So they offered protective custody and told people they were in danger for no reason whatsoever?
Yes. It is the same reason every last aircraft in America was grounded on 9/11/2001 once we realized we were under attack. We didn't know then the extent of the plot and took the historic measure of shutting down all air traffic in the country.

I do agree he sounds contradicting.

I do see from one angle, which I think he could have worded it better (obviously) is that at that time, initially, with nothing other than 8 family members dead in 4 locations, their instinct is "this family was targeted, look at what we have here in front of us NOW hours into it." I think he is trying to say that as the investigation has continued, they haven't found any evidence indicating another Rhoden will be next, meaning that they have no further indication that they are threatened.

With that said, whether the police or AG is telling me I have a threat against me or not when my family was just murdered, I wouldn't believe them until people were in custody, or they were giving me a reason for WHY I'm not being threatened (like the people are already in custody, dead, whatever).

He does contradict himself. He does speak politically. He does make them look stupid, and he's not calming the fear of anyone by saying what he said. 8 people were just murdered, we are over a week out with no arrests, acting like it's just nothing and there is no danger because they haven't uncovered a larger threat is scary. These people have to be terrified. Hell, I've creeped myself out from reading all about this before bed and I'm in a whole other state. I think it was his attempt at calming people's fears, but it's not going to work. My other thought, which I've continued to have, don't think it's true, but, I've considered that they do know. They are building their case, they are making an arrest. Even IF that was true, the fact remains that there is a murderer or murderers on the loose in a small town that were able to kill 8 people in 4 locations unnoticed without being caught.

If they truly felt there wasn't a threat, they wouldn't be taking actions they are. The problem is, I think, that they don't know who or what would be next because they have found nothing to lead them that way. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to imply they would have had anything to do with the murders, but game wardens patrol rural areas, even at night - the ones around here in NW Fla have night vision cameras and ride around trying to find hunters who are illegally night-hunting. You would think they would have noticed the roosters, traffic in and out, etc. at the properties...
Pike County is a distressed county. I'd say they're lucky to have a single game warden. However, if they were drying pot in that building you'd be able to smell it from the highway!

There is really no reason to continue this. I think it is crystal clear, the only place I have seen this much spin.. The State House and The Hill.

Why so much spin? Remains to be seen.

But we have political spin here.

"Depends on what your definition of is, is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads