OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Monday, Attorney General Mike DeWine said authorities didn't know whether there was a threat to the family and he would not speculate about whether a threat remains.

"We have no new information that would indicate that there is a threat to any of the members of the family," DeWine told The Associated Press in an interview before speaking at an opiate-related conference in Columbus. "We don't have any information on that. And we did not when we initially said it other than the fact we had eight people killed."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/authorities-give-update-in-slayings-of-8-ohio-family-members/

First presser, paraphrasing, but the substance is they never said there was a threat.

Notes- the questions were not linear. Stuff was discussed between. The first bit of that was in DeWine's opening statement.

I believe the second presser was the one the sheriff discussed arming themselves. Going to listen to that one now.

Bringing this forward, here is a link to clearly see/read what brought up this whole discussion.
I guess I am to blame since I was the one who asked KKearns her opinion.
We all don't have to agree, but when it's in black and white and written down, it is what it is.... IMO

I know 8 people were killed. 7 of them , I think we're killed between 1 and 5 am. Kenneth idk. He could have been killed way earlier or way later for all we know. As far as I can tell they are still holding the crime scenes. I think there may be way more than we suspect there. I know they are concerned with people's security, hence the big LE presence. I know the suspect is any where from family to rival drug people to LE. I know how many bullet hits were found, idk about misses. I know we are missing parts. The end.

As of yesterday...

Chris Graves ‏@chrisgraves May 1 Waverly City, OH
Media trucks all gone from #PikeCounty scene. But core group of BCI investigators seem to be still at it out here.

Once again, the racial make up of Pike County is less than 1% black.

Yes this area lacks racial diversity. The whole time I was in school- from K through grade 12, there were only white students with the exception of the foreign exchange students in high school. I had never even talked to or knew anyone of another race until I was in high school.

As of yesterday...

Chris Graves ‏@chrisgraves May 1 Waverly City, OH
Media trucks all gone from #PikeCounty scene. But core group of BCI investigators seem to be still at it out here.

It's amazing how fast this is all dying down.. A little weird. A bit nerve racking. JMO.

I also think, but can't be sure, the perp/perps could have had injuries. It was said there were bruises. I'm also fairly certain all of the houses would have been heavily armed. Did they fire back? Did they manage to shoot one of the perps? I still think due to their lifestyles people comi n g and going all hours and people being awake all hours would not be out of the norm. Pot is not a 9 -5 business. So many unknowns.

That isn't what they have been saying and he even admits that. They said on the beginning "Rhodens" were in danger.

"We don't have any information on that. And we did not when we initially said it other than the fact we had eight people killed."

I think you are thinking about this way too much and wanting to see a political spin in something because you work with political stuff and you are determined it must be there. What I see from his statement today was him and a local sheriff having a pissing contest. What I see him saying is correcting what READER said and basically calling him out in public. In the beginning Dewine only knew what the local PD and county sheriff knew and Dewine only said that the Rhodens were targeted which was true 8 were and at the time they didn't know motive and that the Rhodens needed to be careful. He never once said the general public was in danger and he never told anyone to arm themselves to my knowledge. Reader however did and since then he's been shut up and hasn't said anymore. Reader is not used to 8 people murdered in a small community in one day nor dealing with that much press. I'm sure it was a shock to all and Reader said what he said because 8 people were killed and obviously the killer was still out there. It's also obvious that in the first few days they didn't know what motive was or what was going on. So it's not illogical to think that if 8 Rhodens are dead then then the other Rhodens should be worried because 8 of their family members were killed. Makes perfect since to me. Now if only one person was dead then yeah it wouldn't make sense to warn the rest of the family.
Dewine has said from the very beginning that he is not going to tell all the details and not going to let the killers know anything that he knows... So I'm not sure why everyone here is complaining that they haven't been told. First, the actual family might know more than us random people on a forum and second they are still investigating. Third, they don't want to come out and say something that isn't 100% because people like you are being critical of everything they say. They know better.
My last point on all of this is that I think some people on here have unreasonable expectations. If anyone can point me to a murder that's been solved and investigated and wrapped up in a week I'd love to see it. We are talking about 8 bodies and 4 crimes scenes. Even a single murder with a single crime scene takes some time. This is not CSI or Criminal Minds. Things don't happen that fast.
As far as all the LE presence at funeral homes... Couple of reasons. Surveillance, crowd control and traffic. Not to mention they were expecting hundreds of people. At any event with large crowds like that you can expect LE. They also might have been asked by the Rhoden family to be there just to make them feel better.

I think it's a shame that so many posts have been posted about the political side of things. Who cares. It has absolutely nothing to do with the case. Reader and Dewine weren't on the same page at first and Dewine has more experience in press conferences and has made it clear he's in control now. That is just a tangent to the real issue we should be sleuthing... 8 people dead.

I find that from the very beginning the AG was involved in all of the press releases related to this awful murder. Would it not be the Sherriff, whom I believe is leading the investigation be the PR person or someone from Reader's office?
It is kind of odd the AG is doing the pressers and this involved before an arrest. As far as the sheriff, normally yes, if his office was in charge of the investigation (which normally one would be). The BCI is in charge of the investigation and for OH, I think that is the investigative branch of the AG's office, but don't quote me.

In my state, the ABI, Alabama State Bureau of Investigation, would be in charge and would do the pressers.

I've never seen an AG this involved so early in any case, but not saying it hasn't ever happened. Usually they don't really get involved publicly, if they even do behind the scenes. Usually Deputy AG's do that kind of work, but spokespeople from the agency in charge so the pressers, generally.

I still think it's possible the perps left a message or threat to LE at one of the crime scenes. The sheriffs in the surrounding counties have declared war on drugs with Reader, before these murders.
Well the murders could be the warning and they recognized them as the warning.

Yes. It is the same reason every last aircraft in America was grounded on 9/11/2001 once we realized we were under attack. We didn't know then the extent of the plot and took the historic measure of shutting down all air traffic in the country.

and thats not the same as saying "all aircraft are in danger"

I agree! They might be at the state parks but here, they're not going to patrol private property. We have stand your ground here.

That's not true. I've been in a tree stand in Clermont County during deer season and been buzzed by a helicopter and then descended on by about 10 ODNR officers. We were all on private property in our own stands hunting legally but their juristiction extends to private property and they often do go on to *private property whenever they wish. For the record we were quickly checked and released. With so many state parks/forests in that area I would think DNR would be more vigilant.

Night all. Please have this all figured out by morning.. JMO

Hahahaha I'm frustrated but my agitation is because I feel like I'm not being heard by a couple. ;)

I think you're being heard by everyone. I just think there are differing opinions. I know things that maybe everyone in town doesn't. Political spin? Maybe. Getting to the deeper truth? Definitely. I think the closer we are to any occupation the more cynical we become. KWIM? I know you write "spin". Do you think that makes you more or less suspicious of politicians? LOL. I'm more suspicous of certain politicians I don't know personally, and less of the ones I do know. But's that because I know there's a reason things are presented to the public one way, and behind the scenes people are scrambling to avert a disaster. I just kinda' have to wonder if this downplay isn't to get someone to make a mistake. For all I know, they're acting like this because they're just waiting on someone to show up near the funeral home. I just really think there are several ways to interpret a stance, and until all is said and done, we may or may not have the correct idea. :)

I think you are thinking about this way too much and wanting to see a political spin in something because you work with political stuff and you are determined it must be there. What I see from his statement today was him and a local sheriff having a pissing contest. What I see him saying is correcting what READER said and basically calling him out in public. In the beginning Dewine only knew what the local PD and county sheriff knew and Dewine only said that the Rhodens were targeted which was true 8 were and at the time they didn't know motive and that the Rhodens needed to be careful. He never once said the general public was in danger and he never told anyone to arm themselves to my knowledge. Reader however did and since then he's been shut up and hasn't said anymore. Reader is not used to 8 people murdered in a small community in one day nor dealing with that much press. I'm sure it was a shock to all and Reader said what he said because 8 people were killed and obviously the killer was still out there. It's also obvious that in the first few days they didn't know what motive was or what was going on. So it's not illogical to think that if 8 Rhodens are dead then then the other Rhodens should be worried because 8 of their family members were killed. Makes perfect since to me. Now if only one person was dead then yeah it wouldn't make sense to warn the rest of the family.
Dewine has said from the very beginning that he is not going to tell all the details and not going to let the killers know anything that he knows... So I'm not sure why everyone here is complaining that they haven't been told. First, the actual family might know more than us random people on a forum and second they are still investigating. Third, they don't want to come out and say something that isn't 100% because people like you are being critical of everything they say. They know better.
My last point on all of this is that I think some people on here have unreasonable expectations. If anyone can point me to a murder that's been solved and investigated and wrapped up in a week I'd love to see it. We are talking about 8 bodies and 4 crimes scenes. Even a single murder with a single crime scene takes some time. This is not CSI or Criminal Minds. Things don't happen that fast.
As far as all the LE presence at funeral homes... Couple of reasons. Surveillance, crowd control and traffic. Not to mention they were expecting hundreds of people. At any event with large crowds like that you can expect LE. They also might have been asked by the Rhoden family to be there just to make them feel better.

I think it's a shame that so many posts have been posted about the political side of things. Who cares. It has absolutely nothing to do with the case. Reader and Dewine weren't on the same page at first and Dewine has more experience in press conferences and has made it clear he's in control now. That is just a tangent to the real issue we should be sleuthing... 8 people dead.
I respectfully disagree.

This is my wheelhouse, I recognize it just like a doctor recognizes pink eye.

I also think, but can't be sure, the perp/perps could have had injuries. It was said there were bruises. I'm also fairly certain all of the houses would have been heavily armed. Did they fire back? Did they manage to shoot one of the perps? I still think due to their lifestyles people comi n g and going all hours and people being awake all hours would not be out of the norm. Pot is not a 9 -5 business. So many unknowns.

It isn't a 9-5 business. You're right. With that said, I know growers that don't allow people at their house to pick up anything after 8-9pm or before 8-9am, and they typically make you stay and linger for a few so it doesn't look like you are just coming and going. This however is more into a town where police presence occurs far more than out by my area. I'm definitely not suspecting that the Rhoden's did, just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Does anyone know how to put someone on ignore while using Tapatalk? I know how on laptop just not on my phone.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really- I'd like to block all the posts with the words "gang" and "cartel" in them. Is that possible?

I've never seen an AG this involved so early in any case

On this point, I can agree with you. I wouldn't ascribe any ulterior motives to it, though. It's just weird, not hinky.

That would be true, unless LE is complicit by association... ie; the killer can bring them down. There's no question of corruption, only how far it might play into this case.

I may as well put in my 2 cents on the statement. I see nothing political about it. What they said when this first happened made sense to me because they had no idea if any other Rhodens may be in danger considering someone killed 7 in one night. So the warning was understandable to me. It's been over a week now and no other Rhodens have been harmed. Obviously he made the statement because 7 Rhodens were killed and they had no one in custody and no idea what they were plotting to do next. I do not see a political spin. JMO.

That's not true. I've been in a tree stand in Clermont County during deer season and been buzzed by a helicopter and then descended on by about 10 ODNR officers. We were all on private property in our own stands hunting legally but their juristiction extends to private property and they often do go on to *private property whenever they wish. For the record we were quickly checked and released. With so many state parks/forests in that area I would think DNR would be more vigilant.

Maybe it's my location not being near a state park, but we've never had anything like that.. Hell we had a neighbor that called the cops once and they showed up 36 hours later for a domestic. So maybe we are far more out than they are where this is never ever even remotely an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristenLoren