OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the truck Leonard wanted released the red one backed into the drive/yard? Or is that info known?

My father steadfastly hid no assets ever when my mother was sick. It did not matter. Three days before she died ( and all of my sibs were in town for her death), my father was called in by the social worker of the nursing home to say that they were auditing my father's finances to see if he had hidden assets. So not only was my mother dying but my father spent hours with the social worker going over his 1040s and assets in the basement of the nursing home. When I finally complained and stated that it could be done later and my father needed to be able to be with my mother and work to let her go, the social worker (who was supposed to be compassionate) let me know she needed to get this done or the state might refuse to pay my mother's final bill-------she was lucky I did not strangle her that afternoon. I finished the paperwork with her and my mother died 24 ours later. I hated the state and the nursing home...

There is what is called a "look back" period for transferring money/property in the family.
Not sure, but I think it is something like 5 years. All must be completed before the look back.
Families need to make and execute these financial plans much earlier than anyone would expect.

Regarding the complicated inheritance laws of Ohio.
Exact times of death of the 8 individuals may be critically important.
Wonder how they handle a multi generational time of death situation for a large family as
it relates to inheritance law purposes.
This will be one for legal text books

I thought of that, too. But I still can't think of a scenario where the grandchildren wouldn't inherit.

My sister is the director of a nursing home. She said families try to hide money all the time and it's fruitless. They almost always get caught and it's beyond stupid to try to rip off the government.

It is. I am doing my Mom's End of Life stuff now. But, paying for funeral costs in advance is not an asset, (for medicaid purposes) no matter where you got the money to pay for it.

My father steadfastly hid no assets ever when my mother was sick. It did not matter. Three days before she died ( and all of my sibs were in town for her death), my father was called in by the social worker of the nursing home to say that they were auditing my father's finances to see if he had hidden assets. So not only was my mother dying but my father spent hours with the social worker going over his 1040s and assets in the basement of the nursing home. When I finally complained and stated that it could be done later and my father needed to be able to be with my mother and work to let her go, the social worker (who was supposed to be compassionate) let me know she needed to get this done or the state might refuse to pay my mother's final bill-------she was lucky I did not strangle her that afternoon. I finished the paperwork with her and my mother died 24 ours later. I hated the state and the nursing home...
Sorry OT but this makes me :furious:
That's disgusting! The only family I knew that owned nursing homes had records of medicare fraud from NJ south. I sleuthed after a show and tell incident at school. They are a disgusting lot and kept their little pampered and spoiled offspring in only the most exclusive schools and cars. And I only knew one family of owners so I don't know about the rest but post Katrina, I was horrified by some of the owners of nursing homes decisions or lack of. Sorry, end of rant.

That's awful, and I hope it's not the norm. I also hope you filed a complaint.

The problem is that even the people who complain about others "taking advantage" seem to think they shouldn't have to pay for their room, board and care in a nursing home. Like the nursing home should be free so my relatives can inherit the money that I would otherwise use to live if I weren't in this nursing home. There is no logic to that thinking.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...owed-part-investigation-pike-county/83882994/

At least three vehicles were hauled from the Rhoden Property.

Leonard Manley, the father of Dana Rhoden and father-in-law to Christopher Rhoden, Sr., said officers have been taking vehicles from “Chris’s property and some of them aren’t even his.’'

Manley voiced frustration with the investigation and said he thinks authorities are unfairly looking at his family. He said that investigators still have not released his son’s pickup truck, or the tools carried in it. They the truck the day after the Rhoden family members were found between a mile or two down Union Hill Road from Manley’s home and that of his son, James. He said he doesn’t know what they want with James Manley’s truck or his tools.

He and his family feel targeted by the investigation, he said during a lunch after the funeral and burial of his daughter, her three children and her ex-husband with whom she was reconciling.

He said he is working an “investigator to get to the bottom of this.” He declined to name that person or company, but said they are from out of state.

The wait also continues for details related to the investigation into the shootings. For instance, search warrants related to the case have been sealed from public view, a spokesman for the Ohio attorney general said, explaining the delay related to The Enquirer’s request for those documents.

I hear your anger. In our case, I loved moms nursing home and care, and I had no reason to be mad at the State. My mom had decent retirement pay and soc. sec. so she could never qualify for Medicaid which meant that she had to spend her lifes savings over 10 years for care that she never anticipated...and then did not have the capacity to change her plans. I did and had to go by the book as POA..................whatever.................I just wish that long term care for our elderly (and I'm getting there) doesn't have to cost them their life's work. AMEN JMO

There is what is called a "look back" period for transferring money/property in the family.
Not sure, but I think it is something like 5 years. All must be completed before the look back.
Families need to make and execute these financial plans much earlier than anyone would expect.

Yes, that is what it was (but it got translated as an audit). My father never hid a dime and had always said that if his money had to help care for my mother so be it. They wouldn't be able to take his home.

I am in mind with my dad about the responsibility to pay. People shouldn't hide assets. If you can pay for nursing care, then you should, IMO. While I would have loved to have assets from my parents, at the end of the day, they were care for in facilities that should be paid. When people complain about the loss of assets, I often liken it to people getting state funding for food stamps or welfare while having income. These are programs that are meant to help the indigent and not allow those with lots to shelter assets for their next of kin. It is so sad to me that what my parents worked for ended up in the coffers of the government but I recognize that they could pay a hefty amount and if they had nothing they could have gotten good care as I would have wanted.

That's a good bit of interviews.
Yeah. They must be working around the clock on this to get that many done in a week and a half. 100 pieces of evidence, it'll be interesting to see how much that number goes up after the cars towed today.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...owed-part-investigation-pike-county/83882994/

At least three vehicles were hauled from the Rhoden Property.

Leonard Manley, the father of Dana Rhoden and father-in-law to Christopher Rhoden, Sr., said officers have been taking vehicles from “Chris’s property and some of them aren’t even his.’'

Manley voiced frustration with the investigation and said he thinks authorities are unfairly looking at his family. He said that investigators still have not released his son’s pickup truck, or the tools carried in it. They the truck the day after the Rhoden family members were found between a mile or two down Union Hill Road from Manley’s home and that of his son, James. He said he doesn’t know what they want with James Manley’s truck or his tools.

He and his family feel targeted by the investigation, he said during a lunch after the funeral and burial of his daughter, her three children and her ex-husband with whom she was reconciling.

He said he is working an “investigator to get to the bottom of this.” He declined to name that person or company, but said they are from out of state.

The wait also continues for details related to the investigation into the shootings. For instance, search warrants related to the case have been sealed from public view, a spokesman for the Ohio attorney general said, explaining the delay related to The Enquirer’s request for those documents.
That's why I think they took them at that time, knowing the family would be at the funeral and wouldn't be there to get upset over what vehicles were being removed.

I hear your anger. In our case, I loved moms nursing home and care, and I had no reason to be mad at the State. My mom had decent retirement pay and soc. sec. so she could never qualify for Medicaid which meant that she had to spend her lifes savings over 10 years for care that she never anticipated...and then did not have the capacity to change her plans. I did and had to go by the book as POA..................whatever.................I just wish that long term care for our elderly (and I'm getting there) doesn't have to cost them their life's work. AMEN JMO

I should probably be clearer. My anger was at the timing not the questions. I think that if you need care and can pay all or some portion that is the way it is. The bad taste in my mouth was mostly about the coldness given what was happening for my father and family. I am with you on the wish that there si something leftover from their life's work but as that is not how the system is, I recognize it is costly. And, they are worth it.....

I so sorry to hear what you and your dad went through. How heartless.

Like I said, I am thankful I never had to be tied up with Medicare on either of my parents. I have heard horror stories just like yours Kaen. You are right, all of that could have waited. I don't even like visiting nursing homes and they are so depressing. I find some of the staff so rude without any compassion and I find myself wanting to say something even though I didn't know the patients. I notice they seem to be the worst to those who don't have any family members that come to see them when they are the very ones that need a kind word the most.

I remember one time when I was a young woman I went to visit my grandmother in the nursing home and at the entry door a elderly lady was always there sitting in her wheelchair as if she was waiting on someone. One day she asked me if was I her daughter and I knew then she must be suffering from dementia so I sat down and told her, yes, and told her I was so happy to see her. When left I hugged her always telling her I would see her soon. After then she would ask me the same question every time I came and I always said I was her daughter and spent time talking with her before going to my grandmother's room. One day she wasn't there and I asked the nurse about her, and she had passed away. Even though I didn't know her, I was so sad that she passed away without any family members caring about her.

IMO

Yes, that is what it was (but it got translated as an audit). My father never hid a dime and had always said that if his money had to help care for my mother so be it. They wouldn't be able to take his home.

I am in mind with my dad about the responsibility to pay. People shouldn't hide assets. If you can pay for nursing care, then you should, IMO. While I would have loved to have assets from my parents, at the end of the day, they were care for in facilities that should be paid. When people complain about the loss of assets, I often liken it to people getting state funding for food stamps or welfare while having income. These are programs that are meant to help the indigent and not allow those with lots to shelter assets for their next of kin. It is so sad to me that what my parents worked for ended up in the coffers of the government but I recognize that they could pay a hefty amount and if they had nothing they could have gotten good care as I would have wanted.
Yes, I truly sympathize.
But there is nothing wrong with sheltering some assets. But it is complicated. It is not logical.
Our parents worked hard and saved and sacrificed. Most want to pass it to children.
It is a shame that quality of care may be less in the end, or, money goes to medical field.
Nobody expects this to be how it ends.

I so sorry to hear what you and your dad went through. How heartless.

Like I said, I am thankful I never had to be tied up with Medicare on either of my parents. I have heard horror stories just like yours Kaen. You are right, all of that could have waited. I don't even like visiting nursing homes and they are so depressing. I find some of the staff so rude without any compassion and I find myself wanting to say something even though I didn't know the patients. I notice they seem to be the worst to those who don't have any family members that come to see them when they are the very ones that need a kind word the most.

I remember one time when I was a young woman I went to visit my grandmother in the nursing home and at the entry door a elderly lady was always there sitting in her wheelchair as if she was waiting on someone. One day she asked me if was I her daughter and I knew then she must be suffering from dementia so I sat down and told her, yes, and told her I was so happy to see her. When left I hugged her always telling her I would see her soon. After then she would ask me the same question every time I came and I always said I was her daughter and spent time talking with her before going to my grandmother's room. One day she wasn't there and I asked the nurse about her, and she had passed away. Even though I didn't know her, I was so sad that she passed away without any family members caring about her.

IMO
You are my kind of person!!! What a wise and compassionate act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead