GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am not sure if the town is out of whack-I think that it can be narrowed down some.

This is a hard partying group of teens-they come home and they are hungover the next day, I assume. I am also going to go out on a limb and say that the parents of these children are aware of the partying since there has to be evidence of it the next day. They arent old enough to buy their own booze.

Even outside of this rape, there are a group of adults out there who have some flexible attitudes as to what their children are up to during the days and nights.
I struggle with this part.

In regards to this particular rape, the entitlement of the kids who were directly involved in it takes my breath away. They did use her like she was a toy. As to those who did nothing, that level of indifference also takes my breath away.

What was going to happen if someone intervened? They would be considered uncool? GMAB.

believe09, I think the testimony yesterday about the drugs was what JD texted her friend. No testimony yet from evidence, but I believe I read that the right tests were not done that could have proved or unproved it.

WTOV is reporting that now media updates will only be allowed during court recess – reporters are no longer allowed to leave media room and return, so updates will not be as frequent. Apparently there were complaints about Eric Minor's updates?

This morning’s update: Judge is allowing some of the defense witnesses to testify out of order – state has not rested. First witness is 1st of the 3 WV girls that were the ones that the WV judge had originally said couldn’t be subpoenaed. She testified that JD was drinking and quickly acted more and more out of it and was belligerent when they tried to get her to not leave with defendants. WV1 was also in car that picked up JD and 2 defendants the next morning, and said after the boys left, JD was yelled at by her friends about what they’d been seeing online – JD said nothing happened, but WV1 and others didn’t believe her. In Madison’s cross, he asked why her testimony had changed from preliminary hearing; the girl says she didn’t remember her testimony so the judge has now allowed this witness to go into chambers to read the transcript.

Not sure what to think about this article describing yesterday’s testimony. IMO, at best, their ‘investigation’ could be described as passive. They basically took evidence that was offered by JD’s parents but didn’t counsel her about a rape kit or have other tests run. He interviewed one kid when his mother alerted them about her house being one of the scenes. Even then, when the witness admitted to have taken pics, the detective failed to check the phone, leaving evidence that was later deleted.

Then there is the part about court testimony re: CK. Madison brings him up because JD named him as a suspect, but the judge says he’s not interested in “gossip”? They certainly do things differently in Steubenville!

http://www.cleveland.com/steubenville-rape-case/index.ssf/2013/03/steubenville_rape_case_trial_e.html

believe09, I think the testimony yesterday about the drugs was what JD texted her friend. No testimony yet from evidence, but I believe I read that the right tests were not done that could have proved or unproved it.

http://www.cleveland.com/steubenvil...f/2013/03/steubenville_rape_case_trial_e.html

Respectfully snipped. I thought so as well, but rather than state it as an opinion of the witness, the reporter made it seem as if it were a separate statement. I did see some chatter that the victim's medical report contained evidence of drugs. Obviously, if it was true and something that could be directly tied to the incident, it would have been included by the state.

There is definitely some laxity to the investigation. I agree completely with you.

The rape kit-yup, that is a tough one. I think it is also interesting that her underwear and her phone and her earring were not found.

It is hard to escape the conclusion that there was clean up and destruction of evidence going on-the defendants allude to that themselves.

The evidence presented so far seems overwhelming that she was extremely drunk if not unconscious during a huge chunk of the evening. There doesnt seem to be any question that the sexual acts occurred, even without the documentation.

IMO, I think the feds will take the case and run with it after this trial is over.

It never ceases to amaze me that boys and men (yes some grown men) seem to think that "rape is no big deal". Yes I've had a so called man tell me that. I then asked him how he would like to be forced to bend over and raped in the only orifice he has down there. He looked stunned and shut up. This girl was raped and these young MEN don't seem to think they did anything very bad.

Just read some (IMO) interesting comments re: granted immunity from an attorney very familiar with the area. His civil rights case was the one eventually taken up by DOJ resulting in the civil rights sanctions against the city in the 90's. His comments are on the Fans of WTOV FB page...name is Rich Olivito.

The initial one is:
as an experienced criminal defense lawyer ....and stating that the evidence contained on TM's txts is serious and self incriminating as anything ever possible witnessed.....

but..there is something fundamentally wrong when a State AG ...if they are very confident of their evidence and their case in chief....hide behind blanket grants of immunity to key participants in a teenage juvenile trial to a judge something is rotten in Denmark folks believe me....there was NO NEED for THAT except to protect...not the teens witnesses or any teens but only the system itself its an opinion but its a considered experienced one

One of my questions re: this immunity was whether or not the witnesses' preliminary testimony could have been used in this case once witnesses took the 5th. They did not testify under immunity in preliminary. Also wondering why this morning's witness was allowed time to watch her previous testimony in whole, rather than Madison being able to use it to impeach her, if as he said, her testimony had changed. So many questions...

It never ceases to amaze me that boys and men (yes some grown men) seem to think that "rape is no big deal". Yes I've had a so called man tell me that. I then asked him how he would like to be forced to bend over and raped in the only orifice he has down there. He looked stunned and shut up. This girl was raped and these young MEN don't seem to think they did anything very bad.

Each of the witnesses have claimed they didn't know what they did or saw was wrong - really bothered me to hear that repeatedly. Yet they admit they were deleting media because it was wrong, and in texts seemed to be working up cover stories, etc. Then I remembered something. Reno claimed he didn't sanction any players because they didn't think they did anything wrong. Bingo. It (supposedly) worked for their coach, and will probably be what Reno will testify to. Have any of these people heard that legally "ignorance of the law is no excuse"?

Each of the witnesses have claimed they didn't know what they did or saw was wrong - really bothered me to hear that repeatedly. Yet they admit they were deleting media because it was wrong, and in texts seemed to be working up cover stories, etc. Then I remembered something. Reno claimed he didn't sanction any players because they didn't think they did anything wrong. Bingo. It (supposedly) worked for their coach, and will probably be what Reno will testify to. Have any of these people heard that legally "ignorance of the law is no excuse"?

I'm really late to all of this...I read through the previous thread and tried to go through all the links. There doesn't seem to be much "official" documentation on this.

This whole thing reminds me of the rumors we heard in high school and college that I would always ignore. The social media involvement is horrifying because it gives us a clear view of the children involved. Nothing has changed since "my day" - it's just that these kids are stupid enough to document their crimes. Thank the Lord!

20 years ago, this poor girl and her parents would never have gone to the police. Nothing would ever have been done to these wretched boys. Accountability of social media is both disgusting and a blessing in this case.

Judge has now stopped live feed of courtroom due to previous witness (defense's expert) mentioning JD's name several times. State's expert witness is now testifying...

Judge Lipps may make a ruling tonight. The defense rested and they are holding closing arguments now #Steubenville #

Weaver said the accuser told her she thought she had been drugged as well - a conclusion Weaver said she did not believe. Asked by defense why she had doubts, Weaver said, “Because (she) lies about things.”

Both Weaver and Anile were with the accuser on the night of the alleged rape. Both testified that they ended their friendship with her because of the accusations.

Nice friends. JMO

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/16/ohio-high-school-rape-trial-accusers-veracity-questioned

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vingigi
Back