GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone summarize what was said? My soundcard isn't working. Thanks!

That Hoffman's actions in the arson/car theft were those of a monster. That MH knew there were elderly and children living in the condos. Feldman said that the motive MH gave for the arson (to cover the burglary) was questionable. MH seemed to be more hardened with his intentions and premeditation. There was a look in MH's eyes that he hasn't seen in most criminals. Everyone in Steamboat Sprgs is talking about his crimes in Ohio & they wish he could have been sentenced to a longer term in prison. Feldman also noticed similarities in the 2 communities that MH chose to commit his crimes, rural areas, etc.

DA said that the arson to the condo was so cold and premeditated and vicious...something they don't normally see in a small community. Also said he had to go buy 2 large containers gasoline up several flights of stairs and just lit it on fire and left. Apparently MH worked in the building and was familiar with people in the building, kids, adults and even older people...and had no problem setting the fire and possible killing people. Fortunately, no one lost their lives in that fire.

Can someone summarize what was said? My soundcard isn't working. Thanks!

* perp was working for plumbing company, had access to condos
* stole car keys, vehicle from condo owner; filled gas cans
* set fire to cover up burglary of condo
* fire definitely had potential to kill many others in vicinity
* "premeditated appetite" to cause damage..."horrific, calculated" arson crime
* Ohio case "probably is not going to have a good outcome"
* "From what I saw of Hoffman...it's not surprising."
* said a few of the right things but was not remorseful
* pled guilty to three sigificant felonies; sentence wasn't what prosecutor hoped
* judge didn't stack sentences - let them run concurrently

What stuck out most to me, and transcribed loosely:

-MH "claimed" he set he fire to cover up the burglary. The prosecutor found this odd because there was "no real" reason to cover up a burglary like that.

-Prosecutor feels it was premeditated and calculated.

-Feels MH had no concern about any lives that could have been lost.

-The prosecutor noticed how MH was not overly emotional or remorseful, he said the right things.

-Prosecutor does not find MH's involvement in the Ohio case as surprising.

-The sentence he COULD have gotten was 24 years (3 felonies at 8 years each), but the judge gave them concurrently, all together, stacked the sentences.

-The prosecutor describes MH's eyes as "what you see in his eyes, and more of what you don't see in his eyes."

-The prosecutor has had MANY cases, and MH definitely sticks out in his mind.

I wonder why the judge in that arson case said something about he did not think MH was really a bad guy? (Paraphrasing something posted earlier this week.)

Thanks for the run down on that interview! That is the first credible look at his personality that I have seen. Sad and sickening!

You guys are good! Excellent recaps of the interview by all of you above. :dance:

I wonder what MH was like as a kid? Does he have a juvie record that's probably sealed?

I haven't gotten an enabling vibe from his parents...yet. Even the purchase of a house for MH feels like a desperate attempt to keep their son at a distance. Alot of parents with offspring like MH are terrified of them. I'm so curious about MH's background.

What stuck out most to me, and transcribed loosely:

-MH "claimed" he set he fire to cover up the burglary. The prosecutor found this odd because there was "no real" reason to cover up a burglary like that.

-Prosecutor feels it was premeditated and calculated.

-Feels MH had no concern about any lives that could have been lost.

-The prosecutor noticed how MH was not overly emotional or remorseful, he said the right things.

-Prosecutor does not find MH's involvement in the Ohio case as surprising.

-The sentence he COULD have gotten was 24 years (3 felonies at 8 years each), but the judge gave them concurrently, all together, stacked the sentences.
-The prosecutor describes MH's eyes as "what you see in his eyes, and more of what you don't see in his eyes."

-The prosecutor has had MANY cases, and MH definitely sticks out in his mind.

It's too bad the judge only gave him eight years. In the one media article I read it mentioned that he was only 20 years old at the time. The judge's comment to him seemed like he thought the kid would be able to find some rehabilitation in prison, but it appears he didn't. I am no psychiatrist, but someone who sets fire to an apartment type building and risks multiple lives has no regard for human life it seems. IMO

Other than a minor offense committed when he was a juvenile, Hoffman did not have a criminal history when he was convicted of the arson and theft charges.

On Monday, Feldmann, now a defense attorney in Steamboat, said Hoffman was not given enough prison time.

“I wish the court had granted my request for a longer prison sentence for Mr. Hoffman back in 2001,” Feldmann said. “His actions were horrific and his complete disregard for human life was of a magnitude that our local courts rarely encounter.”

http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2010/nov/15/man-convicted-august-2000-arson-steamboat-heart-oh/

I wonder why the judge in that arson case said something about he did not think MH was really a bad guy? (Paraphrasing something posted earlier this week.)

if it was a judge he is prolly sensitive to not wanting to prematurely sway the publics opinion of a suspect...

It's too bad the judge only gave him eight years. In the one media article I read it mentioned that he was only 20 years old at the time. The judge's comment to him seemed like he thought the kid would be able to find some rehabilitation in prison, but it appears he didn't. I am no psychiatrist, but someone who sets fire to an apartment type building and risks multiple lives has no regard for human life it seems. IMO

ITA. I think crimes that show complete lack of regard for human life and poor impulse control indicates rehabilitation is not possible.

I'm not a shrink and don't even play one on tv!

This perp has dead eyes. Like a dolls eyes.....
like Robert Shaw's character in Jaws described the killer shark. Moo

wm

That Hoffman's actions in the arson/car theft were those of a monster. That MH knew there were elderly and children living in the condos. Feldman said that the motive MH gave for the arson (to cover the burglary) was questionable. MH seemed to be more hardened with his intentions and premeditation. There was a look in MH's eyes that he hasn't seen in most criminals. Everyone in Steamboat Sprgs is talking about his crimes in Ohio & they wish he could have been sentenced to a longer term in prison. Feldman also noticed similarities in the 2 communities that MH chose to commit his crimes, rural areas, etc.

BBM -

So no one here has imagined that dead cold look in his eyes either...speaks volumes to me when a prosecutor says that - as a prosecutor sees the worst of the worst.

I wonder what the judge who wanted to give the perp 'hope' is thinking about right now...I *hope* this is a wakeup call to him -- for crying out loud, he's a judge & should be concerned w/ keeping the rest of the world (ROW) safe from the monsters who appear before him.

I'm not kidding myself that even if he'd served 25 years or more the ROW would've been safe from him upon his release...however, we wouldn't be watching the effects of the horrible crime he's done now.

Day in & day out we read about these newly-released criminals & their waves of destruction...I can't believe that it costs more to keep them housed than it does to spend $$ on multi-jurisdictional teams of LE spending hours upon hours working a case & the subsequent prosecution (including taxpayer $$ spent on defense) which languishes in the courts for years.

And there is no $ amount for the pain of the victims & families, but if there were, it would rival our country's debt.

I'm getting so sick of this.

The investigative reporter for WBNS-TV is reporting on the 6:00 PM news tonight that there was a police report from October 24 at his home where MH choked his last girlfriend after she broke up with him.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...ernon-hoffman-court-hearing-bond.html?sid=102

This guy definently has a lot of rage issues with females. I think the judge in the courtroom today should have ordered MH to be held without bond.

The investigative reporter for WBNS-TV is reporting on the 6:00 PM news tonight that there was a police report from October 24 at his home where MH choked his last girlfriend after she broke up with him.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...ernon-hoffman-court-hearing-bond.html?sid=102

This guy definently has a lot of rage issues with females. I think the judge in the courtroom today should have ordered MH to be held without bond.

thanks for that, nerosleuth...seems that the neighbors' stories are not just stories...I think neighbor DD had much reason to fear the creepy weirdo guy next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaltPetals