Omaha double murder

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I remember hearing Shirley had tried to intervene for her daughter in the past and was beaten or something like that by the ex-husband/boyfriend... I dont think I said anything about rage filled ex-boyfriend, I think its more like ex-boyfriend/husband tired of his ex-wife/girlfriends mom trying to keep him away from her. Drugs make people do really stupid stuff. I think could have easily paid someone off to "take care of her" maybe was just supposed to spook her but things went south. If it happens at some strangers house there goes any connection to the sherman side, and people focus on the hunters...

Im guessing OPD probably exhausted that angle though, thats just what I think.

No, you did not say rage-filled...that was my add-in...I just assumed if someone went to talk things over, and ended up committing murder, there would have to be some rage in the picture...You make great points...thanks for clarifying!

Moonlighter,

I find it highly unlikely that someone with the intent and mental makeup to kill two people in cold blood would fail to bring a weapon (s) with them.

And if they didn't intend to kill at that time, then there by inference would be no reason to cover up the fact that the problem was related to the Sherman family by committing the murder in the Hunter home, thereby diverting attention from the Shermans.

If they didn't intend to kill, they would have just found Sherman at her home and confronted her there. Why bring the Hunters into it.

To me the fact that the knives were from the Hunter home says a great deal.

On an unrelated point, just since we are thinking outside the box, could it be that either Sherman or Hunter committed the murder, and turned the knife back on themselves??? just a theory.........

Moonlighter,

I find it highly unlikely that someone with the intent and mental makeup to kill two people in cold blood would fail to bring a weapon (s) with them.

And if they didn't intend to kill at that time, then there by inference would be no reason to cover up the fact that the problem was related to the Sherman family by committing the murder in the Hunter home, thereby diverting attention from the Shermans.

If they didn't intend to kill, they would have just found Sherman at her home and confronted her there. Why bring the Hunters into it.

On an unrelated point, just since we are thinking outside the box, could it be that either Sherman or Hunter committed the murder, and turned the knife back on themselves??? just a theory.........

Good point! It would be interesting to know if there were fingerprints found on the knife/knives. If someone within the inner circle had his/her fingerprints found on the knife, though, and the knives came from the house, I suppose it would be easy to argue that because they lived/worked in the household, their prints would have gotten there via other means than murder. Interesting thought to ponder, though. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they solve this case soon, even though it's been so long.

Another question for you Moonlighter ... Did the person you spoke with say why OPD has declined to put this case on AMW or otherwise put the case out in the media more? Also, it has been said in earlier posts OPD may have bungled evidence collection or mishandled this case in one way or another, have you heard any references to this rumor?

Moonlighter,

If the knives were from the Hunter home (which I find hard to believe) the killer would most likely have entered through the kitchen door and picked up the knives first unless the victims were bound and I've read nothing that says they were.

I don't think the killer was after Mrs. Sherman. It would have been much easier to catch her after she left work or at her own home.

We've heard nothing about bad vibes between the boy and the housekeeper and, for that reason, I find your "outside the box" theory hard to imagine.

I don't personally subscribe to the murder-suicide theory but it is something to think about since the only people we know that were around the crime scene are Sherman, Tom, and Dr. Hunter.

I feel very sure this was rage directed toward someone in the Hunter family. If this were an Omaha drug gang murder, someone would have talked by now especially with $50K on the line in the money-starved city of Omaha.

It is interested that kitchen knives from the Hunter home were used.....doesn't this imply familiarity with the Hunter home??!!!!!

I've been lurking and reading this thread for quite some time but have always had trouble setting up an account until now. I am from Omaha and have followed this case from the beginning. Just a couple little tid bits to add to the discussion:

- A close friend of my parents is very high up in LE in Omaha. According to him (from a conversation fairly soon after the murders) the police are pretty sure the killer was a hired hit man. Thats about all he would reveal, except that the crime scene was exceptionally horrible and gory.

-I have driven by the house a couple of times and both times have gotten turned around....not something that happens very often since I have lived in Omaha over 25 years. This part of Omaha - especially their particular part of the neighborhood - is pretty confusing. I can see how the killer had trouble finding the house!

I don't know much about the family dynamics but is it possible that the wife's trip was the problem? I have to wonder if she was supposed to be home and for some reason the "hit" was unable to be called off. Lots of men opt to get rid of the problem rather than get a costly divorce. The killer may have thought she was home, and killed the housekeeper so she wouldn't be a witness and the boy and when done, realized the wife wasn't home. Just a thought.

I don't personally subscribe to the murder-suicide theory but it is something to think about since the only people we know that were around the crime scene are Sherman, Tom, and Dr. Hunter.

I feel very sure this was rage directed toward someone in the Hunter family. If this were an Omaha drug gang murder, someone would have talked by now especially with $50K on the line in the money-starved city of Omaha.

It is interested that kitchen knives from the Hunter home were used.....doesn't this imply familiarity with the Hunter home??!!!!!

I don't subscribe to it either, but it is still interesting, have to admit that never occured to me. I would think that stabbing yourself in the throat would not be an effecient way to kill yourself, if it were me, I'd be afraid I'd do it incorrectly and die a slow death. I cannot envision an 11 year old boy stabbing a 50+ woman and then himself.
Shanm132- welcome. When you have the time go back over the entire thread and you will see nearly every conceivable theory aired. I am glad we are getting Omaha people on here.
Your story about the LE source and the crime scene is interesting. I have to say it conflicts with what I was told by another source, but then, have also heard what you did. The idea of this being a hit has been around ever since the getgo. If so, it takes us into some deep waters as to motive. Whoever this perp was, he was good, real good. That suggests to me he was a pro or at least a semi pro. Perhaps someone with military training and commando skills who needed money and was given the job by someone with a grudge against someone.

I'm definitely interested in what you recently heard about no one actually seeing the POI enter the Hunter's home. I wonder how that fits into neighbors seeing him drive up and down the street as if looking for an address. Did they see him park and get out or just saw the car and then saw the man making his way through yards?

Although I haven't looked back, I am fairly certain the news coverage states that witnesses saw Shirlee answer the door/let the man in.

I'm definitely interested in what you recently heard about no one actually seeing the POI enter the Hunter's home. I wonder how that fits into neighbors seeing him drive up and down the street as if looking for an address. Did they see him park and get out or just saw the car and then saw the man making his way through yards?

Although I haven't looked back, I am fairly certain the news coverage states that witnesses saw Shirlee answer the door/let the man in.

A thought just occurred to me, if a person opens a door and the person on the other end has a weapon in hand, it may look to someone from afar the person just let them in. He may have already had the knife out and she had no choice.

I agree with Bern, if someone has a weapon in their hand, you'd more than likely yield, if he was pushing his way in, that would not necessarily be all that visible from a distance. Welcome Shanm132 and Bern, nice to have new perspectives and ideas on this crime. What are your thoughts on a hired hit man? Who and Why?

I don't know much about the family dynamics but is it possible that the wife's trip was the problem? I have to wonder if she was supposed to be home and for some reason the "hit" was unable to be called off. Lots of men opt to get rid of the problem rather than get a costly divorce. The killer may have thought she was home, and killed the housekeeper so she wouldn't be a witness and the boy and when done, realized the wife wasn't home. Just a thought.

If this was a hired "hit" and the killer did not know what the wife looked like, he could have mistaken the housekeeper for her (especially if she did not wear a unform).

If this was a hired "hit" and the killer did not know what the wife looked like, he could have mistaken the housekeeper for her (especially if she did not wear a unform).

I definitely agree with this. I have seen some photos where Ms Sherman and Dr/Mrs Hunter look similar - they both have shorter blonde hair.

I agree with Bern, if someone has a weapon in their hand, you'd more than likely yield, if he was pushing his way in, that would not necessarily be all that visible from a distance. Welcome Shanm132 and Bern, nice to have new perspectives and ideas on this crime. What are your thoughts on a hired hit man? Who and Why?

Hi Knox, thanks for the welcome. post 608 is my guess....

I totally agree. I've said before, I think the perp could have even said something without showing a weapon that took her off guard and she opened the door to him. Or, as she opened the door, he just walked in and shut the door behind himself. Interesting theories abound. Let's home OPD can get this one solved soon!

I read something about whether or not it was the housekeepers scheduled day or not. I was thinking about this, this morning, and if the mother was out of town and the father worked, wouldn't they have made arrangements for it to be her scheduled day that week? If the mother arranged it, and it was shot notice for the husband, maybe that was the problem. Once again, just throwing something out there.

Has it been confirmed that the knives were from the Hunter home and, if so, by whom? I've never heard that except on here. Is it fact or rumor?

http://www.ketv.com/news/18726316/detail.html
http://www.ketv.com/slideshow/news/18728057/detail.html
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/hunter_t.htm
http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/16658516.html
http://www.action3news.com/Global/story.asp?S=9862211&nav=menu550_2
http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/39695952.html

I have to say it is rumor Yellowdog ... There is no official confirmation in any of the news stories I linked above.

Bern ... There was never any confirmation of whether it was Shirlee's scheduled cleaning day. The only comment regarding her being at the home is contained in one of the links above. Mr. hunter said he knew something was off when he arrived home and saw SS's car in the back drive. Normally they would pull in and back the cars into the garage. I am beginning to think we may be discussing this case for many years to come :mad:

http://www.ketv.com/news/18726316/detail.html
http://www.ketv.com/slideshow/news/18728057/detail.html
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/hunter_t.htm
http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/16658516.html
http://www.action3news.com/Global/story.asp?S=9862211&nav=menu550_2
http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/39695952.html

I have to say it is rumor Yellowdog ... There is no official confirmation in any of the news stories I linked above.

Bern ... There was never any confirmation of whether it was Shirlee's scheduled cleaning day. The only comment regarding her being at the home is contained in one of the links above. Mr. hunter said he knew something was off when he arrived home and saw SS's car in the back drive. Normally they would pull in and back the cars into the garage. I am beginning to think we may be discussing this case for many years to come :mad:

Thanks, Knox. I still think the killer brought the knives with him. If it was a hired killing, I definitely think he would bring his own weapons. What hired killer would want to spend time rummaging around through kitchen drawers to find knives? I think the reason Dr. Hunter said he knew something was off when he arrived home and saw SS's car in the back drive was not because of it being the wrong day, but because she would normally have been gone by the time he got there.

I'm more inclined to think it was a killing of anger and that the young boy knew something the killer didn't want revealed. I think he went there to talk to the boy and the boy angered him even more. I think Thomas answered the door because of the half eaten sandwich in the dining room. He may have even been expecting the person.

I certainly hope this case does not go unsolved but I, too, am beginning to wonder if it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny