Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped for brevity

So the short answer is, that if Helias314 is updating his site through the public library, then there would probably be an IP trail from that library to Youtube's servers. If he was updating his site through the Tor network or a proxy, then LE would have to serve a warrant on those servers or ISP's to track it down. If the proxy servers are overseas, then it would be difficult to find out the user's origins.

Thanks, Sasquatch. You certainly know a lot of stuff! :) Either way, it doesn't seem that YouTube postings would be that helpful. Scratch that idea.

Snipped for brevity

Thanks, Sasquatch. You certainly know a lot of stuff! :) Either way, it doesn't seem that YouTube postings would be that helpful. Scratch that idea.

You are welcome! I just wanted to give you a wide range of possibilities out there. Chances are, if he is using a public computer, he is probably not going through proxy servers or through Tor. This might be difficult to set up or maintain on a public computer. It depends how tech savvy he is. Most people don't go through the trouble of covering their tracks. His computer IP address that he is logging in from, can still be helpful if this is the case. If the police know where he is, then there are other possibilities, like tapping into his system directly at the home source.

You are welcome! I just wanted to give you a wide range of possibilities out there. Chances are, if he is using a public computer, he is probably not going through proxy servers or through Tor. This might be difficult to set up or maintain on a public computer. It depends how tech savvy he is. Most people don't go through the trouble of covering their tracks. His computer IP address that he is logging in from, can still be helpful if this is the case. If the police know where he is, then there are other possibilities, like tapping into his system directly at the home source.

Let's hope LE is using every possible method to find him and then keep an eye on him until they can make an arrest.

Let's hope LE is using every possible method to find him and then keep an eye on him until they can make an arrest.

Am I missing something? In the latest news article, Det Henderson specifically states that he knows where Ames is:
Warner's boyfriend, Lennie Laverne Ames, 60, was staying at Warren's home at the time of her disappearance and after. Initially deemed cooperative, Ames was named a "person of interest" in late August. He has since left the area for northern Oregon, Henderson said.

"Basically, we're not in communication with him," Henderson said. "We know where he is. But we're not talking to him about the case. We are doing a lot of searching."

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130919/NEWS/309190311&cid=sitesearch

Assuming he was hiding, I don't think Ames would use a public computer. I also
think Ames is far too technologically savvy to have to come out of hiding to upload a video. If I had to guess, again assuming is hiding, he is using a prepaid Mifi device(short for my+wifi). In order to use this device he would need to be with a 6 mile range of a cel tower. 3-4 miles for a faster upload.
MiFi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, re the library: Because of all the work that goes into making those videos, he would most likely be using his OWN computer, not a public computer, in a public setting. I mean potentially he could just drive into, say, a McDonalds parking lot and use their wifi to upload.

Am I missing something? In the latest news article, Det Henderson specifically states that he knows where Ames is:
Warner's boyfriend, Lennie Laverne Ames, 60, was staying at Warren's home at the time of her disappearance and after. Initially deemed cooperative, Ames was named a "person of interest" in late August. He has since left the area for northern Oregon, Henderson said.

"Basically, we're not in communication with him," Henderson said. "We know where he is. But we're not talking to him about the case. We are doing a lot of searching."

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130919/NEWS/309190311&cid=sitesearch

BBM

I see your point. I was going by the KTVL story 9/16 and more recent FB comments on someone's page. However, I wonder what kind of legal hold LE has on him in order to keep track of his whereabouts. If he felt free to go north, and LE did lose track of him according to the KTVL story, what is to prevent him from moving on again?

"Since then, detectives said Ames left the area and was somewhere in northern Oregon. "We've heard different things about where he's at, basically we're not in contact with him anymore at this point," said Henderson."

http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/ktvl_vid_9046.shtml

Assuming he was hiding, I don't think Ames would use a public computer. I also
think Ames is far too technologically savvy to have to come out of hiding to upload a video. If I had to guess, again assuming is hiding, he is using a prepaid Mifi device(short for my+wifi). In order to use this device he would need to be with a 6 mile range of a cel tower. 3-4 miles for a faster upload.
MiFi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, re the library: Because of all the work that goes into making those videos, he would most likely be using his OWN computer, not a public computer, in a public setting. I mean potentially he could just drive into, say, a McDonalds parking lot and use their wifi to upload.

This makes sense. I'm still wondering if LE would be able to track his general location if he's using the MiFi (with his cell phone) or his laptop at McDonald's parking lot. I would think they would have hacking capability, but they would probably need a warrant for that, unlike illegal hackers. I really don't want him to be allowed to disappear.

BBM

I see your point. I was going by the KTVL story 9/16 and more recent FB comments on someone's page. However, I wonder what kind of legal hold LE has on him in order to keep track of his whereabouts. If he felt free to go north, and LE did lose track of him according to the KTVL story, what is to prevent him from moving on again?

"Since then, detectives said Ames left the area and was somewhere in northern Oregon. "We've heard different things about where he's at, basically we're not in contact with him anymore at this point," said Henderson."

http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/ktvl_vid_9046.shtml
"Person of Interest" has absolutely no legal meaning or attachment. Lennie Laverne Ames can go anywhere he wants at any time without informing a single soul, if he so chooses. He isn't a suspect. Person of interest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This makes sense. I'm still wondering if LE would be able to track his general location if he's using the MiFi (with his cell phone) or his laptop at McDonald's parking lot. I would think they would have hacking capability, but they would probably need a warrant for that, unlike illegal hackers. I really don't want him to be allowed to disappear.

I'm not sure where celphone comes into play regarding the uploading of videos... But sure, they could track an upload using a MiFi device or an upload out of a MCD's parking lot. The thing is by the time they do, he's out of there!

"Person of Interest" has absolutely no legal meaning or attachment. Lennie Laverne Ames can go anywhere he wants at any time without informing a single soul, if he so chooses. He isn't a suspect. Person of interest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly. And that brings us back to the discussion we were having about what Henderson said...Ames can't be named a suspect without a body. Wrong.

But, a quick google of "suspect legal rights" gives me the impression that someone named a suspect must be read Miranda Rights, and could lawyer up and choose to remain silent. I couldn't find anything definitive enough to link. Since Ames has been "cooperating" with Henderson, LE may not want to do anything to block that until enough evidence has been gathered. It's a delicate balance.

Even though POI Ames is free to travel, I hope LE doesn't lose him.

Exactly. And that brings us back to the discussion we were having about what Henderson said...Ames can't be named a suspect without a body. Wrong.

( snipped)
Can somebody tell me where Det Henderson is quoted as saying this? I can't find it in the thread..

( snipped)
Can somebody tell me where Det Henderson is quoted as saying this? I can't find it in the thread..

Henderson was quoted in the Ashland Daily Tidings. I posted this on 8/30 post #336. Here it is again. Relevant sentence BBM. A discussion followed this post.

"This is the most detailed article I've seen so far. This is a partial quote:

Jackson County sheriff's investigators say they believe Lennie Laverne Ames, 60, has vital information into the sudden disappearance of Stephanie Anne Warner, 43.

Ames was Warner's boyfriend at the time of her disappearance and was the last person known to have seen her on July 4.

Today deputies and a search and rescue team searched a wooded area on Bureau of Land Management property near a camp site recently occupied by Ames. Jackson County sheriff's investigators previously searched Ames' travel trailer and vehicles at the camp site. Several items were collected as evidence in that search, officials said.

More evidence was collected Wednesday at Warner's home in the 9000 block of Highway 238.

Jackson County sheriff's Detective Eric Henderson said investigators have been in regular contact with Ames throughout the nearly two-month investigation. Henderson described Ames as being cooperative.

"We named him a person of interest because we can't definitively clear him of her disappearance," Henderson said.

Ames cannot be labeled a suspect in a crime because Warner has not been found, Henderson said."

http://t.dailytidings.com/apps/pbcs....late=tabletart

Yay! We have Sasquatch. I'm really glad you're here. Thank you!

It's starting to hit me that this could go on for a LONG time. I've decided to step back a bit. I've become completely consumed by this and it is really effecting me.
I have stopped fb stalking and blocked many, so no more negativity from those closest to this. That has help tremendously. The hate is not consuming me, it's still there but I'm not reminded of it constantly.
My focus is now on Stephanie, mourning, remembering, waiting, always waiting for something to break. And the realization that this could take awhile. So a shift in my way of dealing with this is a must. Longing for closure :(

And here comes the sap - I thank ALL of you for all you have done here. I am so grateful for Web Sleuths! Y'all are amazing! I look forward to every post. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)

Yay! We have Sasquatch. I'm really glad you're here. Thank you!

It's starting to hit me that this could go on for a LONG time. I've decided to step back a bit. I've become completely consumed by this and it is really effecting me.
I have stopped fb stalking and blocked many, so no more negativity from those closest to this. That has help tremendously. The hate is not consuming me, it's still there but I'm not reminded of it constantly.
My focus is now on Stephanie, mourning, remembering, waiting, always waiting for something to break. And the realization that this could take awhile. So a shift in my way of dealing with this is a must. Longing for closure :(

And here comes the sap - I thank ALL of you for all you have done here. I am so grateful for Web Sleuths! Y'all are amazing! I look forward to every post. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)

BBM

You're making a healthy choice, for-ashley. I'm sure Stephanie would approve. You have done so much for her, but negativity and hate are consuming. Good for you for setting firm boundaries on that.

Through your contributions here, I feel like I've made a new friend. :) And you've certainly helped us to know Stephanie better. Thank you for being here!

The search for answers seems to be turning into a marathon, and not a sprint. Pacing ourselves will keep us going for the duration, however long that is. But life also has to go on, and the best thing to do is to live it well.

Sending hugs. :grouphug:

Today is the start of buck hunting season. Hunters go places in the woods that most people don't. Sometimes they run across things that would have stayed hidden otherwise. I just googled "hunters find body" and there are a lot of different stories. So starting today, there will be more eyes in the woods.

On a lighter note, I do have to share a fact from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife hunting calendar that made me chuckle. It's divided into categories like "Big Game" and various birds. The Western Gray Squirrel is included on the Big Game list along with deer, bear, cougar and elk. Poor squirrel. :nuts::nuts::nuts:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/seasons.asp

For your viewing pleasure. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKZTlCLWWoU

"Person of Interest" has absolutely no legal meaning or attachment. Lennie Laverne Ames can go anywhere he wants at any time without informing a single soul, if he so chooses. He isn't a suspect.

Exactly, OUOTP. The only thing the label did is allow us to sleuth Lennie and include the findings here on WS, per TOS policy. Which is good.

It's time Henderson retrace his steps to see what he missed and study the Wilberger and Heichel cases thoroughly. Time to get consult from the investigators in those cases. This is not acceptable.

Through your contributions here, I feel like I've made a new friend. :)

Thanks, Lilibet. I feel the same :)

Aww, I love the squirrel video. It reminded me of a time about 5 years ago when we found 2 baby squirrels in our backyard. They were tiny! We took them in and feed them with syringes until we could get them to a sanctuary, almost a week later. Boy, did I get attached to those squirrels. I cried when I had to give them up. They were the cutest things and I now have a new appreciation for squirrels! I tried to add pictures but my computer is not cooperating. I'll try later, they were so cute! It's sad that they are actually hunted :(

This story reminded me of a Stephanie story. About 12 years ago, Stephanie can in town for a visit. She babysat for me one evening, very happily to spend some one-on-one time with my daughter. She ended up taking Hannah to the pet store. Uh-oh, right? I came home to 2 new pet RATS! The guy at the pet store convinced Stephanie that rats were the best pets for kids. Well, it turned out he was right. They never once bit us, like guinea pigs and hamsters do. I feel in love with them, we both did. It took me awhile to get over the long, bald tails but once I did, they were great. Rose and Lily were their names. Great memories!

Thanks, Lilibet. I feel the same :)

Aww, I love the squirrel video. It reminded me of a time about 5 years ago when we found 2 baby squirrels in our backyard. They were tiny! We took them in and feed them with syringes until we could get them to a sanctuary, almost a week later. Boy, did I get attached to those squirrels. I cried when I had to give them up. They were the cutest things and I now have a new appreciation for squirrels! I tried to add pictures but my computer is not cooperating. I'll try later, they were so cute! It's sad that they are actually hunted :(

This story reminded me of a Stephanie story. About 12 years ago, Stephanie can in town for a visit. She babysat for me one evening, very happily to spend some one-on-one time with my daughter. She ended up taking Hannah to the pet store. Uh-oh, right? I came home to 2 new pet RATS! The guy at the pet store convinced Stephanie that rats were the best pets for kids. Well, it turned out he was right. They never once bit us, like guinea pigs and hamsters do. I feel in love with them, we both did. It took me awhile to get over the long, bald tails but once I did, they were great. Rose and Lily were their names. Great memories!

What a sweet story about the squirrels. We do get attached, don't we. I hate to think about hunting anything, but I suppose it helps keep the population under control.

Thanks for the Stephanie story. Rats are neat. I knew a little girl years ago who had a pet rat, coincidentally named Ashley! Every time I visited her Mom, I would "get" to hold her. The rat was very cute, once I got past the tail and little claws, and I was glad she wasn't a pet tarantula (I'm OK with snakes and lizards, but not spiders).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968