OR OR - Stephanie Warner, 43, Ruch, 4 Jul 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are waiting, it's important to remember that silence from JCSO doesn't mean they aren't doing anything to find Stephanie. In fact, they really jumped on this case a lot faster than I would expect for an adult missing person.

Here is a quote from a story discussing the early search:

"In addition to welfare checks by deputies, search-and-rescue crews searched areas near the missing woman’s home last week, he said.

On July 10, seven searchers using dogs looked for signs of Warner on her property and surrounding areas. Using an article that carried Warner’s scent, searchers used their specially trained scent hounds as well as cadaver dogs trained to detect the scent of human remains, he said.

“We found nothing,” Richards said.

On July 11 a second set of 16 searchers performed a grid search, walking closely together along various areas in the Applegate Valley. A third search was performed along the Applegate River using a helicopter, he said."

http://www.opb.org/news/article/search-escalates-for-ruch-woman/

Oregon law contains protocols LE is to follow when searching for missing persons.

The first part says that info regarding the missing person should be entered into the state and federal records within 12 hours of the missing person report. If I were family, I would check to make sure this has been done. A quick search didn't lead me to where these records are.

§ 146.181¹
Missing persons
• police report
• supplementary report
(1) When a person is reported as missing to any city, county or state police agency, the agency, within 12 hours thereafter, shall enter into state and federal records maintained for that purpose, a report of the missing person in a format and according to procedures established by the authorities responsible respectively for the state and federal records.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/146.181

Another part of Oregon law regarding missing persons is that after 30 days, DNA may be provided. This is something Stephanie's family should follow up on. I am in no way implying that JCSO won't do this without prompting, but IMO it's also important for family to stay very involved and be a "squeaky wheel."

BBM

§ 146.187¹
DNA sample
(1) If a person who has been reported as missing has not been located within 30 days after the missing person report is made, the law enforcement agency that accepted the missing persons report shall attempt to obtain a DNA sample from the missing person or from family members of the missing person in addition to any documentation necessary to enable the agency to use the samples in conducting searches of DNA databases.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/146.187

Here is a quote from an article about this law:

On January 1, 2008, Oregon?s new "Missing Persons Law" went into effect, providing that if a person was reported missing and hadn?t been found within 30 days following the report, the investigating law enforcement agency shall attempt to obtain a DNA sample for the missing person.

Gunson said DNA for a missing person investigation can be collected a couple ways. First, collect items used only by the missing person such as a tooth brush, razor, lipstick or a medical specimen preserved at a hospital.

The second way is to collect oral swabs from family members. Law enforcement agencies have been provided special DNA collection kits called a Family Reference Standard Kit (FRS) to assist in DNA sample collection for these cases.

When submitted for analysis to the Center for Human Identification, one of the two forms is required to be sent with the collected samples:

* The Family Reference Samples form is for law enforcement AND families when submitting biological samples (oral swabs, blood cards) from biological relatives of missing persons.

* The Direct Reference Sample form is for any article associated with the missing person that may contain biological material (toothbrush, hairbrush with hair, blood sample, or hospital sample).

The forms are available on the State Medical Examiner?s website at http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/SME/index.shtml.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/Missing-Pe...line/-/413192/15293260/-/d8rrjsz/-/index.html

Here is an interesting article about how to search for a missing loved one. Some of these things can be done from a distance to assist LE.

How to Search for a Missing Person

By Joleene DesRosiers Moody, eHow Contributor

When someone you know and love goes missing, it is a trying and emotional time. Finding him can be an overwhelming task. The individual you are looking for may have decided to leave quietly and on his own. However, if the missing person is a child or elderly, the situation could be questionable. Either way, reach out to law enforcement. While officials work to bring your loved one home, there are things you can do to assist in the search, too.

Things You'll Need
Paper
Photo of missing person

Instructions
Stay in touch with law enforcement officials assigned to the case. Placing a call from time to time will keep the case "fresh" in their minds. Ask questions and stay abreast of any new developments.

Participate in any "general area" searches in fields, rivers or streams. Recruit family, friends and community members to assist.

Call friends or relatives of the missing person and find out if they know anything. Sometimes you can gain information law enforcement has learned. Share that information with authorities.

Create fliers with your contact information, a photo of your missing person and a description of what he was wearing and when he was last seen. Distribute them throughout the community by tacking them to bulletin boards at gas stations, convenience stores, laundromats and telephone poles. Check on the fliers periodically and replace any that have been removed or damaged.

Place an ad in the local newspaper where the missing person lived. Include the individual's picture, a description of what he was wearing, where he was last seen and your contact information. Hundreds of people read the papers everyday and may have some information that can help you.

Reach out to organizations that specialize in supporting family and friends of the missing. These organizations are most often started by people who have missing loved ones. Utilize their support services to help you through difficult times.

Use search engines like the ones online at the National Center for Missing Adults or the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System. Enter the name of the missing person into the search fields. Continue to check these sites from time to time.

Tips & Warnings
Don't "step on the toes" of law enforcement. Keep yourself informed with the status of the case, but keep them informed of what you are doing to assist in the search as well.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_7268867_search-missing-person.html#ixzz2aeShEx4C

Wow. Applegate Lake is absolutely beautiful. There is a pic on the Wiki link. Is it possible that she would have gone swimming at night?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Applegate_Lake_Oregon.jpg

If she rode out to the lake with someone, it's possible (her truck was at her home). But it seems that she would have been with other people who would have reported an accident on the lake. The website says it's a "no wake" 10mph lake, so no speedboats would be involved. http://www.applegatelake.com/home.html

It was the last quarter of the moon the night of July 4, so it would have been pretty dark. http://www.moonconnection.com/moon-july-2013.phtml

I keep coming back to the fact that she didn't leave on foot and no one local reported her missing. Someone she knew well enough to ride with picked her up IMO. No sign of a struggle. We still don't know if her keys, wallet, phone were left behind. She never returned to take care of her animals. Not liking this one bit!

Today in the Mail Tribune there is an update: they are looking for a group of young men who stopped at the store in a green pickup on their way to the lake. They are not POIs or suspects, LE wants their witness testimony.

Today in the Mail Tribune there is an update: they are looking for a group of young men who stopped at the store in a green pickup on their way to the lake. They are not POIs or suspects, LE wants their witness testimony.

I'm really glad this finally made it into print in the newspaper after being on the JCSO Facebook page and local TV news Monday. Newspapers can be viewed for longer and someone may finally see this in the future while lining their birdcage or wrapping garbage or catching up on their reading. :findinglink:

What could those kids have witnessed? That's my question. They were at the store. Then they were at the lake. Why does LE suspect that they might know something? Did something happen at the store or at the lake? I can't decide which it is.

What could those kids have witnessed? That's my question. They were at the store. Then they were at the lake. Why does LE suspect that they might know something? Did something happen at the store or at the lake? I can't decide which it is.

I'm wondering if LE is trying to verify the boyfriend's story that he and Stephanie met at the store before they parted and she went home. Could he have said something about the kids in the green truck seeing him there with Stephanie? So far as we know, there is no proof that they were at the store together. Or, one of the store employees could have remembered the kids being there about that time, so LE wants to find out if the kids saw Stephanie and/or her boyfriend.

I'm not sure how the lake ties in. I think it may just be that the kids told someone at the store that they were headed there to camp. If my research is correct, boyfriend lives just a few miles from the lake, but that doesn't mean anything in particular.

We are pretty sure, thanks to Ellie's sleuthing on Stephanie's Facebook page, that she (or someone) played a game of Texas Hold'em at 6:08 pm July 4. That's the last entry on her FB page. Unless she used a mobile device, we can assume she was home at that time.

It appears that someone she knows picked her up at her house and took her somewhere. We don't even know if that happened July 4. But based on the amount of Facebook poker she played, I assume her time at home ended July 4 after 6:08 p.m.

I'd really like to know if there have been any further searches. LE said last week that they expected movement on the case within days or weeks.

Haven't looked at WebSleuths in several days... interesting news about the Ruch Country Store/Applegate Lake lead. With little discovered so far, hopefully this lead pans out as to Stephanie's whereabouts.

On the southside of Applegate Lake is Carberry Creek Road/Jackson County 777. Heading north up that road about 4.5 miles is what appears to be an access road (42° 4'17.69"N 123°10'29.92"W -- other side of the white picket fence after the two-story farmhouse). It looks like that access road travels up the mountain to the historic “Steamboat Mining District” possibly at 42° 4'53.00"N 123°11'53.00"W, according to MapQuest.

According to a 1957 Steamboat Mining District document there is only one mentioned “placer claim” and it is located at the intersection of Brush Creek (running NW to SE) with another creek (maybe called Quartz Creek). Carberry Creek is to the South (how far is unclear).

The significance of this information is that a placer claim in the Steamboat Mining District of Southern Oregon belongs (or belonged supposedly for 20 years) to a person very close to Stephanie Warner. And this claim is not far from Applegate Lake, a place mentioned in the last few days by LE according to MSM.

Tags: Placer Claims Steamboat Mining District Southern Oregon 20 years

Haven't looked at WebSleuths in several days... interesting news about the Ruch Country Store/Applegate Lake lead. With little discovered so far, hopefully this lead pans out as to Stephanie's whereabouts.

On the southside of Applegate Lake is Carberry Creek Road/Jackson County 777. Heading north up that road about 4.5 miles is what appears to be an access road (42° 4'17.69"N 123°10'29.92"W -- other side of the white picket fence after the two-story farmhouse). It looks like that access road travels up the mountain to the historic “Steamboat Mining District” possibly at 42° 4'53.00"N 123°11'53.00"W, according to MapQuest.

According to a 1957 Steamboat Mining District document there is only one mentioned “placer claim” and it is located at the intersection of Brush Creek (running NW to SE) with another creek (maybe called Quartz Creek). Carberry Creek is to the South (how far is unclear).

The significance of this information is that a placer claim in the Steamboat Mining District of Southern Oregon belongs (or belonged supposedly for 20 years) to a person very close to Stephanie Warner. And this claim is not far from Applegate Lake, a place mentioned in the last few days by LE according to MSM.

Tags: Placer Claims Steamboat Mining District Southern Oregon 20 years

Nice work, Neptune! Thanks. Locating the mine is really significant. I'll study it when I'm awake. :eek:fftobed:

I'm glad the news is getting out further north. One quote from the article jumped out at me:

BBM

"There were no signs of forced entry or foul play in the vehicle or the home that she shared with her boyfriend, Sickler said.

Warner did volunteer work, but was not employed at the time of her disappearance. She formerly owned a Jacksonville restaurant called Magnolia Grill, Sickler said."

I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've heard that she shared the home with her boyfriend. I thought another article, which I will try to find, said she lived alone. I found an address for her boyfriend on Upper Applegate Rd. Perhaps another person with the same name? :confused:

Also this is the first time I've heard for sure that she was not employed. I had wondered about that.

The Magnolia Grill was opened by the same man who turned over half ownership of his home to Stephanie in 2005, so perhaps she also owned half of the restaurant. He sold it in 2010 and died spring 2011. Perhaps this explains why she doesn't work. An interesting fact--there is a Magnolia Grill in the NO French Quarter, so I wonder if that inspired the name. I've never been able to find out if he was a relative or friend or more.

Sheriff's deputies found Warner's truck in her driveway. There were no signs of forced entry or foul play in the vehicle or the home that she shared with her boyfriend, Sickler said.

How come she was not reported missing earlier if she shares her home with her boyfriend ? Oh dear.

How come she was not reported missing earlier if she shares her home with her boyfriend ? Oh dear.

Exactly! I still think she lived alone. And I still don't understand why he didn't report her missing, even if they didn't live together. You'd think that would be something he would have explained in the interview he gave. All he said was how "baffled" he was.

Wow! You guys are good!! I want to thank you again for all your time on Steph's disappearance. So much good info! The mine information is really scary! I have to assume the police know all of this? I'm not sure if Steph lived alone or not, which is something I need to find out. When we called her home after her disappearance, someone did answer.

The owner of the restaurant was her long time boyfriend (she called him her husband, they were together that long). They met here in New Orleans (15 years ago?) and moved to Oregon together, where they bought the house and opened the restaurant. The name was inspired by Stephanie's New Orleans roots. The magnolia is the state flower of Louisiana.

I'm getting bits and pieces of scary information but not sure it's appropriate to share, unfortunately.

I really miss Stephanie! This is all so crazy and hard to put my head around. I will work on getting verified. Special thanks to lilibet!! You really are keeping this thread going.

At the South end of Applegate Creek is Carberry Campground
42.02555002, -123.1652923

Often campgrounds require campers to register the license plate number of their vehicle, including any extra vehicles (which are charged a fee). On the off-chance they actually went to a campground and actually registered, it's worth a shot checking into.

Also, Ruch Country Store sales receipts during the time period of 5-7pm on Jul 4. These wouldn't help if they paid with cash, but in case someone in that group paid with a debit/credit card, it's worth checking all the beer/cigarette/snack/water transactions. They're young -- check PBR sales!!!

Does the store sell permits that might have been needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayellekay