Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any announcement when Judge will re-prounce her newly directed verdict?? While the Appellate Court ( who BTW unanimously pronounced MURDER) altered her mis-verdict originally... While they went out of their way to protect her..I have a sense..SHE was actually persuaded..ala bought off..but who's going to prove that???????

Would love to watch her have the Guts to sentence this despicable vermin to a JUST Sentence!! Cry Baby, needs to serve years+++++ ..I did hear @ least 15 years..and with just 1 year served so far..He has a LOOOOONG way to to go!!

Will watch for "Sentencing Date"..TY all in advance :loveyou:

I honestly don't know Estelle. If I had to guess I'd say the NPA who represent the State would not be able to influence the Judiciary into asking for a different judge any more than Pistorius could. What is more doable is for Judge Masipa to excuse herself and allow another Judge to sentence him. I think she is too professional to opt for this though. When she was asked recently if she felt stigmatised over how she presided over the trial she brushed it off and said it was not a stigma if the oiks perceived justice hadn't pandered to their emotional outpourings. I'm paraphrasing of course but it gives a valuable insight into how she saw the wider publics reaction.

I think we have to accept she'll be there to sentence him despite the reservations most people feel after her previous debacle. I do think Justice Leach has restricted her somewhat though. She won't want it going back to the SCA again for yet another "shockingly" lenient sentence. This alone might make her the best person to sentence him?

Well. She now has to deal with a unanimous SC reversal, so I think her hands are tied.

It's interesting that I read this week ( sadly can't remember where- SA commentator )who has a book in production about the case that more is going to come out about Mdu Toit's role in this. )

Anyway I don't remember there being assessors during sentencing, can you recall.

Can't find the sentencing hearing transcripts at the moment. HAS ANYONE GOT A LINK? tia

I'm really not one for conspiracy or corruption theories but the whole set up at the High Court seems dodgy to me. Masipa was frankly inept - even those who feel that CH was a reasonable verdict couldn't work out whether she'd actually accepted PDD or not - and two inexperienced assessors. Roux seemed extremely prepared for Masipa. He knew that "remorse" mattered so Oscar gave it to her in (green) buckets.

I don't think she was personally corrupt but I think her "random" appointment was not necessarily random. I agree that the female assessor had an agenda.

I don't see OP as a serial killer, sexual sadist, rapist of young teens (which is what Bernardo is), but YMMV I suppose.

....a very difficult moment for Pistorius his thoughts must juggle between suicide, running away, prison and the appeal....and there's something else, supposing he does appeal on the basis of a new version with the hope of establishing mitigating circumstances and that it does turn out that the telephone which went missing and was wiped off is part of that new version, if there is something like that then it's going to bring in other members of the family .....

1 shot could be argued as 'oops I lost my head there.' FOUR shots with a pause in between is in cold blood, IMO. It was intended and it was premeditated. He knew firing that weapon would likely kill whoever was in that loo and he made the decision to fire not once, not twice, but 4 times.

Agree. It was Dolus Directus, and Judge Leach indicated it should have or could have been a Dolus Directus outcome. The evidence from the ballistics guy , Magena was thorough & damning and his evidence has finally been recognised how it should have been in the first Trial when Masipa ignored its importance.

Magena's evidence was the MOST damning against OP's pathetic version's' that she sat through in the entire trial, yet SHE IGNORED IT COMPLETELY !!!! beggar's belief !!

Finally he will be arrested and do 'some' time at least to fit the crime - I think he'll get 12 years, serve 6, may get year off as he'd already been incarcerated and attended all those anger management courses , so he may get a year less -- so thinking could be looking at him getting at least 5 years (should be more of course!)

(even if he is still getting off likely) as it was Murder -I believe and always have done that they argued,he got p*ssed at Reeva over something, so he chased her into that Bathroom ,she was trapped & he shot her with complete disregard for consequence to her life. What OP wants, OP has always got ..........til now.......

Finally Justice will be served to him for murdering Reeva.....
or what he referred to as .......his 'mistake' :jail:
Disgusting individual that he is.

PROSECUTORS WANT PISTORIUS IN COURT BY TUESDAY

EWN however understands the North Gauteng judge president must still approve a warrant for his arrest.

This (voluntarily surrender himself to a court) is expected to happen on Tuesday, when Pistorius will apply for bail.

It’s understood the state won’t oppose the application if the defence agrees to stringent conditions imposed on his movement, similar to the terms of his house arrest, which has now fallen away.

The state hopes to set down a date in the second quarter of next year, to hear sentencing arguments.

So sentencing not until May/June next year?

http://ewn.co.za/2015/12/05/Prosecutors-want-Pistorius-in-court-by-Tuesday

I just can't see how he can be granted bail. He is a convicted murderer and his sentence is likely to be greater than what he has already served so he will be sent to jail, of that there is no doubt surely. So all bail achieves is to give him the opportunity to flee. I also don't understand that he is in legal limbo until a bail application. Surely he has to be in custody, even in the local watch house pending a bail application because again he is a convicted murderer who will go to jail and a flight risk.
The NPA would have been pretty certain that the conviction would be replaced with DE yet did not prepare for what was to happen with OP immediately after.
I just don't get it.

As to mitigation when he does get sentenced, what's he got left that hasn't been knocked well and truly over by the appeal judgement? I can only see his disability in terms of jail will be extra tough on him ( but he seems to have survived it so far) and his apparent remorse for killing Reeva. I say apparent as it is evident that his remorse is also for himself and how it's changed his future.

PROSECUTORS WANT PISTORIUS IN COURT BY TUESDAY

EWN however understands the North Gauteng judge president must still approve a warrant for his arrest.

So sentencing not until May/June next year?

http://ewn.co.za/2015/12/05/Prosecutors-want-Pistorius-in-court-by-Tuesday

The man could be home for Christmas still then if he gets bail ,
Things have all gone so OP's way haven't they, - there's nothing worse anyone can do than take a life, ....but he did, and there he is home at his Uncles luxury house, plus pool , and even with a murder conviction now... he'll possibly see christmas at home with his family, rather than see the walls of a jail cell where he should be , like any other murderer in SA has to

That's so very very wrong given he's taken a life the way he did. He should NOT get bail.

I'd say, he is a flight risk
Italy has no extradition agreement, so he could go there,
he used to spend many months there training
but can't see him heading to Jail for minimum 5 years, not without a fight , and if he may lose that fight........... surely he'll flee the country

Yes, he reminds me all too much of Arias in this respect. I suppose we should be thankful OP and JA never hooked up, it would have been another Bernardo/Homolka duo. :/

I'm nasty: perhaps OP needs experiences with a (brunette) girlfriend of this calibre (they may have a competition who is lying better ;) ).

Latest on the arrest warrant

Barry Bateman ‏@barrybateman
@BrendaWardle state at the mercy of the courts and JP. Plans were in place to secure warrant yesterday, but just didn't happen,

@BrendaWardle the warrant will be signed by the JP on Monday and the offender's presence in court secured - planned for Tuesday.

@LaurieAClaase just to be clear - while process are underway to obtain a warrant - no warrant was ever issued or signed off. Didn’t happen.

Well. She now has to deal with a unanimous SC reversal, so I think her hands are tied.

I agree. Although on the surface it seems counter intuitive, as I've said before, I do believe this may, despite our reservations, make Masipa the perfect person to sentence him. After all, can you imagine if she has to suffer once again the ignominy of Nel appealing the shockingly inappropriate sentence? She'll be inclined to avoid it at all costs, unless she's a martyr to the cause and in her compassion ( from the Latin: com-with, passion-to suffer) wishes to suffer with Pistorius. Only time will tell if she is an idealist or a pragmatist. I pray it's the latter.

Why would the state not oppose bail??? How can a convicted murderer stay at home? His house arrest is null and void....so? I don't get what the delay, issue is? Not opposing bail is insane!

....a very difficult moment for Pistorius his thoughts must juggle between suicide, running away, prison and the appeal....and there's something else, supposing he does appeal on the basis of a new version with the hope of establishing mitigating circumstances and that it does turn out that the telephone which went missing and was wiped off is part of that new version, if there is something like that then it's going to bring in other members of the family .....

He should be wrestling with penitence, atonement and reconciliation. To do that he needs to be honest with himself and his fellow man, to accept society's punishment and take it like a man. Only then will he earn a degree of sympathy and understanding that some have given him so freely and thus been his enablers in his spiral into depression, self-loathing and self-pity. Neither Roux, his sycophantic fans, or his family have done him any favours here. His soul is crying out for a whole different kind of help and that alone will torment him far more than any prison sentence. He would be better off accepting the punishment for his crimes and examining his conscience.

Why would the state not oppose bail??? How can a convicted murderer stay at home? His house arrest is null and void....so? I don't get what the delay, issue is? Not opposing bail is insane!

Yes insane. Bail for a convicted murderer, and he is definitely a flight risk. Then if he is still around to be sentenced, his "adoptive grandma," judge Masipia, will handle it. And I thought the U.S. justice system was funky!

I have never read this before:

Oscar seems to have been having a lot of reunions while on house arrest and was even best man at a friend's wedding in October 2014.

Outcry as former rugby player posts selfie with Oscar

The shamed sprinter appears in a ‘selfie’ with rugby player pal Brett Sharman apparently during a recent evening reunion at the family mansion where he is under house arrest.

Released after serving just one sixth of his sentence, the sprinter has been under house arrest at his uncle's home in Pretoria, where he has had a number of visitors.

The runner has been friends with Sharman since they were at high school together.

Pistorius was best man at Sharman’s wedding to dancer Simone Krause in October 2014 - just a month before he was sentenced to five years' for Reeva's manslaughter.

Photos have emerged of the shamed runner at the wedding looking happy and relaxed at the wedding, which took place after he had been convicted of the killing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...se-killing-Reeva-Steenkamp.html#ixzz3tR7y7ClJ

James Grant
‏@JamesGrantZA James Grant Retweeted Vivien Wessels
That's it: Justice Leach saying Phelps got some things wrong. Thanks. Will look to see what he could be referring to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper