PA - Accused killer and rapist Michael Burham escapes from Warren County Prison using tied bed sheets, Captured, July 8, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So my understanding so far (most of which is from the Probable Cause document) is that:
- MB had an active arrest warrant out for the rape of Kala Hodgkin (his ex-girlfriend) at the time he killed her. (I don't know the date of the alleged rape.)
- shortly before her murder, Kala contacted LE to say that MB tried to break into her home and had set her car on fire.
- in the early hours of May 11 MB allegedly shot Kala to death in Youngstown NY.

- May 11 MB returned a vehicle that he rented in Warren PA and checked out of his hotel.
- May 20 a woman reported her parents missing from their home in Sheffield PA (they lived on the main road between Warren and Sheffield). PA State Police issued a Missing/Endangered Persons alert.
- May 21 South Carolina Hwy Patrol contacted PA State Patrol indicating that they located the missing couple in a cemetery in North Charlestown SC.
- May 22 MB arrested
- July 6 MB escaped from jail in Warren PA
So my understanding so far (most of which is from the Probable Cause document) is that:
- MB had an active arrest warrant out for the rape of Kala Hodgkin (his ex-girlfriend) at the time he killed her. (I don't know the date of the alleged rape.)
- shortly before her murder, Kala contacted LE to say that MB tried to break into her home and had set her car on fire.
- in the early hours of May 11 MB allegedly shot Kala to death in Youngstown NY.

- May 11 MB returned a vehicle that he rented in Warren PA and checked out of his hotel.
- May 20 a woman reported her parents missing from their home in Sheffield PA (they lived on the main road between Warren and Sheffield). PA State Police issued a Missing/Endangered Persons alert.
- May 21 South Carolina Hwy Patrol contacted PA State Patrol indicating that they located the missing couple in a cemetery in North Charlestown SC.
- May 22 MB arrested
- July 6 MB escaped from jail in Warren PA.
One correction- it’s not Youngstown, NY. It’s Jamestown, NY.

JUL 14, 2023
Police said the video, captured by a local resident's Ring doorbell camera, shows that he's still in the area, possibly camping in the woods.

Indicators in the video led officials to believe it was Burham, and that he was south of Warren, Pa., when the video was taken, along with other similar videos that have been submitted and in review. He also said the footage was taken in the past couple days.

Police said Burham might have hurt his leg in a hard landing from climb down prison walls with bedsheets.

• The video was taken just after 5 a.m. when it was captured.
  • Police say the video indicates that Burham prefers to travel at night.
  • “It’s difficult to travel at night and it’s difficult to travel quickly at night,” Lt. Col. George Bivens of the Pennsylvania State Police said. “Given the circumstances, the amount of time he’s been out, potentially in the elements and potentially limited food, that is not a surprise to me at all he is moving at that pace.”
  • He also noted that Burham appears to have suffered some kind of leg or ankle injury.
Bivens stated in the press conference they have not concluded any additional information as to the drone flying by the jail on the night of Burham’s escape. Other drones were confirmed to be out flying that same day, but the timing and location of that drone by the jail is of particular interest to police.

Jul 14, 2023 Press Conference

Whew...this was almost 30 minutes long but I finally listened to the whole thing.

A few things I noted:

About 6 min in, a reporter says he spoke to Kala's family and was told that the pictures shown yesterday were from when Burham was on the run the first time.

Bivens responded that they believe one of the bags they have is probably from when he was on the run the first time however, they also believe that there may have been access back to those areas since then.

Approx 14:50 Bivens further clarified: The bag was discovered during this investigation. They believe that particular bag was probably from when he was on the run the first time and that he was able to access it this time.

Just before the 18 min mark, Bivens says he believes MB did injure himself during the escape. He would not go into further details.

25:38 or so, Bivens says they're looking at every report of criminal activity in the area for any type of a connection.

There is still some testing underway with regard to some of the break-ins. They have not confirmed a vehicle theft related to MB.

Whew...this was almost 30 minutes long but I finally listened to the whole thing.

A few things I noted:

About 6 min in, a reporter says he spoke to Kala's family and was told that the pictures shown yesterday were from when Burham was on the run the first time.

Bivens responded that they believe one of the bags they have is probably from when he was on the run the first time however, they also believe that there may have been access back to those areas since then.
Zx
Approx 14:50 Bivens further clarified: The bag was discovered during this investigation. They believe that particular bag was probably from when he was on the run the first time and that he was able to access it this time.

Just before the 18 min mark, Bivens says he believes MB did injure himself during the escape. He would not go into further details.

25:38 or so, Bivens says they're looking at every report of criminal activity in the area for any type of a connection.

There is still some testing underway with regard to some of the break-ins. They have not confirmed a vehicle theft related to MB.
I just think LE is grabbing at straws, trying to keep up a tough facade, and trying to tell the public they are doing effective tracking and tracing. Showing this probably, older ring video, and continually showing the little stash inxtje woods, which is also probably older....just isn't cutting it.

I am sure they are just overwhelmed by his escape and cunning. They really do have a lot of splaining to do.

JUL 15, 2023
Shortly before escaping from a Pennsylvania jail, murder suspect Michael Burham phoned his 13-year-old son to ask about his recent whereabouts, according to audio recording of the conversation exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com.

The phone call and Burham's recent alleged torching of his son's mother's car have prompted police to place the family in protective custody, in fear mom, Nichole Olivey, could be his next target.

[...]

In a phone call with DailyMail.com from her secret location on Wednesday, Nichole explained that she and her two children, including 13-year-old Matthew who she shares with Burham, were taken out of state and are now under 24/7 protection.

'We're guarded, we're safe,' Nichole said. 'I have no idea what he's doing or where he is or what his motives are.'

[...]

In the hours before his July 6 escape, he called his son, a blood cancer survivor, asking how he spent Independence Day, before grilling him about his whereabouts.

[...]

'Where did you go?' Burham asks.

'We set off fireworks,' the son says. 'We were home setting off fireworks.'

Persisting, Burham asks again: 'Did you set off fireworks from your house or did you go somewhere?'

'We set them off at our house on the lawn,' the boy says.

[...]

Mother of Michael Burham child fearful; manhunt continues

Last edited:
like what is his long-term plan ... to live in the woods eating berries? to keep killing people to stay in their cabins or take their vehicles? I'm sure they have the area locked down so he's not going to last long

My husband thinks if he really did have a bug out bag he may have changed his appearance. Shaved his head and face, definitely a change of clothes. A true bug out bag should get you about a month of food and water treatment.

IMOO

Last edited:
JUL 15, 2023
Pennsylvania State Police said they were able to determine the person in the video released Friday was not Michael Burham, despite earlier beliefs, after someone came forward to help identify who the person it was.

They said the release of the video helped make this determination.

Investigators said they have reason to believe he was in the area south of the City of Warren where the video was captured.

Troopers said they still believe he suffered an injury during the escape.

“We still have strong reason to believe that he is in the area, but we now know not to rely solely on that particular video as we attempt to determine his physical condition or other things that we might from any particular video,” Pennsylvania State Police Lt. Col. George Bivens said.

Despite the mistake, Lt. Col. Bivens said that morale is still high among the members of law enforcement participating in the search.

“I would say that morale is very high. We’ve been down this road before and our people know that it sometimes takes time to find somebody,” he said. “I’ve been very pleased with the way morale is.”

Bivens continued to urge residents to keep all home, vehicle, and shed doors locked, and to take note of any missing items as Burham attempts to escape capture. Items Bivens said that Burham might take include a tarp, blankets, clothing items, lighters or matches, and food from camp sites, storage sheds, and garages.

"He is no doubt becoming more desperate and will attempt to acquire the things he needs to survive," Bivens said during Saturday's news conference.

Last edited:
Michael Burham, the man who has been on the run from police since July 6, has been captured in northwest Pennsylvania, sources tell News 4.

We are expecting an official update from Pennsylvania State Police sometime this evening.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_16001.jpg

Michael Burham, the inmate who escaped from Warren County Jail on July 6, has been taken into custody, police have confirmed to The Post-Journal.

Burham was apprehended Saturday evening off Jackson Run Road in Warren County following a citizen tip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back