Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Latest: 'A part of us' burns with cathedral, Macron says
The Latest on a fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris (all times local):

8:30 p.m.
French President Emmanuel Macron says the fire consuming Notre Dame Cathedral is taking part of everyone in France with it.

[...]

His administration says Macron is heading to Notre Dame.

8:20 p.m.

Speaking to BFMTV, Deputy Mayor Emmanuel Gregoire said first responders now trying to salvage the art and other priceless pieces stored in the cathedral.

[...]

7:55 p.m.
The French capital's police department said no deaths have been reported from Monday's fire. The police department didn't say anything about injuries.

[...]

French media quoted the Paris fire brigade saying the fire is "potentially linked" to the renovation work.

A spokesperson on CNN said that helicopters are not permitted to fly around that part of Paris.
This was Fox News, quoting French fire officials.

They do have this ability, but it wouldn’t have been prudent.

Any helicopter ban, would not apply to authorities.

CNN live broadcast had retired NYC Deputy Fire Chief Jim Bullock on. He said that with the roof collapsed the walls are now subject to possible collapse. "The roof is part of the structure that keeps the walls together."

Sorry, no link yet. This was from live TV.

I think the moderators are giving us a bye on reporting what we are seeing live without having a link.

Emmanuel Macron on Twitter
Notre-Dame de Paris en proie aux flammes. Émotion de toute une nation. Pensée pour tous les catholiques et pour tous les Français. Comme tous nos compatriotes, je suis triste ce soir de voir brûler cette part de nous.

Translated from French by Microsoft:

Our Lady of Paris in flames. Emotion of a whole nation. Thought for all Catholics and for all French. Like all our countrymen, I'm sad tonight to see this part of us burn.
9:05 PM - 15 Apr 2019

Regarding fire fighting questions, here is bunch of tweets on the topic by an official blue-check account. Gregg Favre is a firefighter and former Deputy Director of Public Safety in Missouri...and perhaps he has other credentials. I don't know of him, but he has posted interesting tweets as an expert on his page:

Gregg Favre (@GreggFavre) | Twitter

Edited to add: Recommended reading! Good info.

Gone! dated from the 13th century

D4Nx4yNW0AEkM0A.jpg

ABC News interviewing an American student who was on the sunset cruise along the Seine, the bateaux mouches that take tourists along the river on both sides of the island, with the grandeur of this cathedral in view all the way around, from all its sides. They witnessed this from their boat tour, among the weeping French. :(

Ok, as to why no air drop of water, the reasoning is that the weight of the water could collapse the building.

So French authorities considered, then abandoned the idea.

I can see their point about that but there are solutions to that which are much better than letting it burn to the ground.

Have large buckets from helicopters that let the water out of smaller holes at the bottom of the bucket instead of one large dump like we see in forest fires. It doesnt all have to be let out at once slamming on the fire.

There has to be better ways than just watching it burn to the ground.

I am sure they will be more prepared in the future.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psychesleuth
Back