Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the Sandusky situation has opened up a big can of :worms:

Thank goodness. This is a can that obviously needed to be opened. I hope this will become a major a turning point in how our society reacts to child abuse. As well as begin the long path to recovery and MAJOR changes in the way communities, schools, churches, organizations & many other groups are not only reactive (or non-reactive), but more importantly pro-active in their approach to potential child predators.

Yep. I posted in the beginning thread that I think the lid is going to be blown off of many incidents.

There is a lot of travel involved with sports. I just hope that any connections and contacts are thoroughly investigated going back to the beginning. We may find out that there are links between offenders.

:yes:

----
"The numbers are staggering. On average, sexual abusers harm 100 children before they are caught and children must tell 7 adults before someone takes action."
http://justice4pakids.com/

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154994"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154994[/ame]

WS thread for discussion of breaking Syracuse/Bernie Fine case. (Thank you ElaineBenice for bringing this to our attention!)

I know this is the last thing anyone wants to hear right now, but ESPN is now reporting that Syracuse assistant basketball coach, Bernie Fine, is under investigation for allegedly molesting a former ball boy. :furious:

OH LORD,Please don't tell me that-I live here in Syracuse!!! I have not heard anything

Thank goodness. This is a can that obviously needed to be opened. I hope this will become a major a turning point in how our society reacts to child abuse. As well as begin the long path to recovery and MAJOR changes in the way communities, schools, churches, organizations & many other groups are not only reactive (or non-reactive), but more importantly pro-active in their approach to potential child predators.

Also, the possible past crimes of these offenders, and those persons who shared their interests. There are unsolved cases of missing children and young adults, sexual assaults, etc.

It looks like the Sandusky situation has opened up a big can of :worms:

This definitely sounds like the beginning of something that will snowball. It reminds me of when the "Priest scandal" broke in a past decade.

I heard on CNN tonight that there are now some of Sandusky's victims coming forward from as far back as the 1970's. IMO there could be hundreds of victims and I hope every one of them finds the courage to come forward.

Apparently, Pennsylvania has a statute for adults who where victims of childhood sexual abuse, which allows them to press charges up until they are 50 years old! This is wonderful, does anybody know if other states have similar statutes? I certainly hope so.

I'm an SU fan and I hope to God Boeheim doesn't know anything about this. :maddening:

I got a weird feeling when I read the boy would be lying on Fine's bed and Boeheim would walk in a not ask any questions...just a feelin!!

BTW, when I posted a few minutes ago about this being a turning point in the way our society deals with child abuse, I'm referring to ME and YOU, not just "society" in the abstract. Its up to ALL of us to do as much as is humanly possible to protect innocent children from having their lives forever altered by the acts of perverts before they even get a chance to have a "life."

I got a weird feeling when I read the boy would be lying on Fine's bed and Boeheim would walk in a not ask any questions...just a feelin!!

I'd like to know in what state of dress he was in while doing that.

This definitely sounds like the beginning of something that will snowball. It reminds me of when the "Priest scandal" broke in a past decade.

I heard on CNN tonight that there are now some of Sandusky's victims coming forward from as far back as the 1970's. IMO there could be hundreds of victims and I hope every one of them finds the courage to come forward.

Apparently, Pennsylvania has a statute for adults who where victims of childhood sexual abuse, which allows them to press charges up until they are 50 years old! This is wonderful, does anybody know if other states have similar statutes? I certainly hope so.

That's a great statute. Maybe, just maybe, an advanced age for pressing charges would make people think twice before committing these heinous acts. OTOH, it has been mentioned here and elsewhere that pedophilia involves compulsion and is one of the most difficult disorders to treat/cure.

BTW, when I posted a few minutes ago about this being a turning point in the way our society deals with child abuse, I'm referring to ME and YOU, not just "society" in the abstract. Its up to ALL of us to do as much as is humanly possible to protect innocent children from having their lives forever altered by the acts of perverts before they even get a chance to have a "life."

Amen Elaine, Amen

"He would always pat you on the leg because he was proud of you," he said. "That was like his sign to you. As soon as he picked me up [in his car] he'd give me a comforting pat on the knee ... and a hug was just for support, showing that he's proud of you."

That raises red flags.

I am sure that many felt he was a father figure. But the kids who received the shower treatments....they might be more cynical now.

Let's face it, Sandusky didnt molest and assault every child he came in contact with....this takes time. It is like a dance. I was surprised to see the overlap in victims, but perhaps Pensfan can weigh in on that one. My thoughts would be purely a layperson's opinion.

ETA: Doesnt it seem like there is always a statement like this?

"I told him, 'Jerry, I just want you to know you have the Rexrodes' support, I know how you are.'" Rexrode said. "I didn't ask him anything [about the indictment] because it wasn't the time for me to ask that. It was just time for me to be positive."

Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15112011/2/photo/15112011223214.html

http://www.brownsonhouse.org/about-us

These links are about the Brownson House where Sandusky spent most his own time as a child and teen. His father, Art Sandusky, ran a program very very similar to Second Mile throughout Sandusky's childhood. I am doing some digging around to see when/where Sandusky might have developed his shower fetish and now to see if any allegations have ever been made about the Brownson House.

While reading about Sandusky's parents I found one article that I found fascinating. It was about Sandusky's childhood, what a sports god he was, a leader in all ways, but terrified of women. It said that his mother approached Dottie on his behalf when he was a senior in college to arrange a date because he couldn't do it himself. For someone that is such a leader and would I assume to be viewed as attractive to young girls since he was such an athletic star it struck me that he as a senior in college (where he was a quarterback) had his first date set up by his mother.

Then add in that they adopted a family because they couldn't conceive..... I am fascinated to know more about his wife and that relationship.

:yes:

----
"The numbers are staggering. On average, sexual abusers harm 100 children before they are caught and children must tell 7 adults before someone takes action."
http://justice4pakids.com/

That is a very interesting stat.
I knew the estimate of victims but not the other.
There should be major campaigns in our schools to teach kids to tell someone and keep telling someone else until someone helps them. The current message to tell an adult may not be enough for how it plays out in real life.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15112011/2/photo/15112011223214.html

http://www.brownsonhouse.org/about-us

These links are about the Brownson House where Sandusky spent most his own time as a child and teen. His father, Art Sandusky, ran a program very very similar to Second Mile throughout Sandusky's childhood. I am doing some digging around to see when/where Sandusky might have developed his shower fetish and now to see if any allegations have ever been made about the Brownson House.

While reading about Sandusky's parents I found one article that I found fascinating. It was about Sandusky's childhood, what a sports god he was, a leader in all ways, but terrified of women. It said that his mother approached Dottie on his behalf when he was a senior in college to arrange a date because he couldn't do it himself. For someone that is such a leader and would I assume to be viewed as attractive to young girls since he was such an athletic star it struck me that he as a senior in college (where he was a quarterback) had his first date set up by his mother.

Then add in that they adopted a family because they couldn't conceive..... I am fascinated to know more about his wife and that relationship.

Was it the NY Times article?

Jerry was indeed “shy and backward,” as he put it, around girls. But he was smitten when he met Dottie Gross, his future wife, at a picnic in Washington. He was a senior at Penn State but still too timid to ask her out. So Evie invited the young woman to one of her son’s softball games. “Maybe I just needed that one little push because one thing led to another, and before long, we had become closer,” Sandusky wrote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/s...w-well-you-can-know-a-man.html?pagewanted=all

(I still had the tab open on that one)

Was it the NY Times article?

Jerry was indeed “shy and backward,” as he put it, around girls. But he was smitten when he met Dottie Gross, his future wife, at a picnic in Washington. He was a senior at Penn State but still too timid to ask her out. So Evie invited the young woman to one of her son’s softball games. “Maybe I just needed that one little push because one thing led to another, and before long, we had become closer,” Sandusky wrote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/s...w-well-you-can-know-a-man.html?pagewanted=all

(I still had the tab open on that one)

Yes, thank you I was just looking through my history for the day to find the source. I heard a man on the radio this morning that went to high school with Sandusky. He basically feels that Art Sandusky walked on water and said he never heard any rumors of any sort about Art.

The radio host was of course struck by the similarity of the BHouse and Second Mile and wanted to know if possibly the father had molested his son. The caller seemed stunned by the suggestion and took great offense. He said he was surprised to read this about the younger Sandusky but that he did believe it. Said the father was the most amazing man he has ever met.

I was little put off by the godlike status he was giving him, but I want to take it at face value and not my normal cynical view of the world. Having a hard time though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*