Penn State Sandusky Trial #11 (Verdict - GUILTY!)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How long will the jury deliberate?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, and there are a number of factors. The worse I've seen was 22-44 years, but that involved the guy who, in the process of molestation, impregnated her and then forced her to have an abortion.

There are also mitigating factors.

First, what TSM just a cover, or did it really help a number of people. That could be mitigating downward if the latter. His education will as well, and possibly his age.

Second, he really didn't corrupt any of the adults around him. They did that themselves. I'm not certain if "effect on the community" would be a legitimate factor.

A super long 250 year sentence can easily be appealed. My guess is that the bulk will be concurrent, with one or two of the ISDI charges being consecutive. 20-30 years, out in 10-15.

Here are some samples, but keep in mind, some of these are worse:

http://lancasteronline.com/article/...repeated-sexual-attacks-of-2-young-girls.html

http://lancasteronline.com/article/...15-30-years-for-sexually-assaulting-girl.html

http://lancasteronline.com/article/...gets-10-19-years-for-sex--other-offenses.html

since JJ continues to elaborate on his best guess every time this subject is broached, and since every commentator I have seen on TV disagrees with him, I just feel it necessary to point out (since people keep asking the question) that every commentator I have seen on TV disagrees with JJ's best guess. JJ is the only person I have seen that thinks jer is walking out of prison alive. comparing this case to others is interesting but misleading, imo. judges decide penalties on a case by case basis, within sentencing guidelines.

in any case, we'll see soon enough.

btw, old jer still insists he's innocent, which will preclude parole (which I'm sure is an important part of JJ's figgerin on when Jer gets out). wonder if he'll ever come down to earth?

In his deviant mind I do believe he believes he will get out. He is still up on his Pedestal. Will he fall? Ever? Hard to say. It may be the way he decides to live his remaining years. Which leads me to believe he will give future Prison Interviews. Of course :moo:

I hope they never let him out of jail on appeal. I am sure that he would love jailhouse interviews!! I am pretty sure that a few more days in that cell and he will be telling everything about everybody he knows! (which might be great for those who care about Mr. Gricar)

Hm- The Center Daily Times version of creepy love letter exhibit 26 about broken promises did not redact the name of the other person Jerry was speaking for. It says, "I write because I am concerned about all of us. I write because I have seen the hurt on Tim's face when you don't show for him, even though you have given your word."
It's a common name, but Tim Janocko is the only Tim I've noticed

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/21/3237832/creepy-love-letters-from-jerry.html#storylink=cpy

Peace be with you, Matt.

RSBM: Tim would probably be Tim Curley.

I don't undertand, Quiche. Was it a lack of legal protection that enabled Sandusky or a lack of enforcement, and in particular a culture of entitlement where protecting the football program from scandal was seen as more important than protecting children? We no longer require a second witness and Sandusky's victims were believed by the jury, once a jury was finally assembled.

Demanding a second witness wasn't such an outlandish notion when the penalty for sodomy was death. Would we really want to give people the ultimate punishment on the say-so of one person, who might or might not have a stake in the outcome? (Every sociopathic kid who wanted his inheritance could have walked into court and claimed he was molested by his father.)

Thanks for the case history. It's consistent with Professor Alan Bray's account of the previous century (Homosexuality in Renaissance England) which found that sodomy was rarely prosecuted except when it involved cases of masters having sex with indentured servants. Since indenture was the primary means of learning a trade at the time and involved virtual slavery for a period of seven or more years, the population as a whole was very sensitive to the power a master had over his servants.

It's interesting that the perpetrator in your case was brought to the attention of the legal system twice over 30 years, and both occasions involved sexual molestation of indentured servants. When he was merely propositioning the young men of the town, it was just a "social" problem that could be dealt with privately.

(BTW, as a gay man, i appreciate your sensitivity to hateful, old stereotypes.)

Your post continues and is very articulate, but I still don't understand how our laws failed in the Sandusky case. We haven't even seen the last trial as yet, as administrators who failed to act remained charged with perjury, I believe.

I was posting in reference to the topic of Joe Paterno not being legally mandated to report the incident that McQueary witnessed in the locker room shower. There was a lot of bantering back and forth about moral vs. legal standards as applied to children, and the challenge was that Paterno didn't actually witness the act, though the issue was brought directly to him to manage.

I have a problem with, in the case of children, an eye witness being considered a necessary element to the reporting of a child abuse victim. Imo, that's an outdated idea... we have sufficient and sophisticated methods of investigation that prevent an innocent someone from heading to the gallows for sodomizing a child.

Not visually seeing a sex crime cannot be a legal standard any more... shoot, how many times do you SEE sex happening, at all? Right, not often, because it's done, primarily, in private.

The old colonial stuff just happened to arise due to the similarity of the laws that are still being enforced (thankfully, NOT the same punishments).

:waitasec: Was that any clearer, lol? It may not have been! :)

I make it a point to do so. To each his own.

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”

-- Plato

“Is it less dishonest to do what is wrong because it is not expressly prohibited by written law? Let us hope our moral principles are not yet in that stage of degeneracy.”

-- Thomas Jefferson

Very true. Bad people will always find ways around the laws.

In his deviant mind I do believe he believes he will get out. He is still up on his Pedestal. Will he fall? Ever? Hard to say. It may be the way he decides to live his remaining years. Which leads me to believe he will give future Prison Interviews. Of course :moo:

---------------
Did you hear he wants out of that cell, room to walk around, BETTER FOOD!!:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh::great::lol::laughcry::snowball: all I can say is wait til he gets to prison!!!!:what:

---------------
Did you hear he wants out of that cell, room to walk around, BETTER FOOD!!:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh::great::lol::laughcry::snowball: all I can say is wait til he gets to prison!!!!:what:

Better food? That would be the commissary, right? Is he aware of that? Slim Jims, Skittles, Doritos, Honey Buns! Tums (it's probably been a very long time since he had lousy quality food).

He better get used to the sound of his own thoughts, because even if they allow him to go into general population, after he's raped and beaten he'll be back in solitary and begging to stay.

Better turn to books, Jer, and please spare us the writing. :floorlaugh:

since JJ continues to elaborate on his best guess every time this subject is broached, and since every commentator I have seen on TV disagrees with him, I just feel it necessary to point out (since people keep asking the question) that every commentator I have seen on TV disagrees with JJ's best guess. JJ is the only person I have seen that thinks jer is walking out of prison alive. comparing this case to others is interesting but misleading, imo. judges decide penalties on a case by case basis, within sentencing guidelines.

Well, everything posted was from other states. They are not applicable for Pennsylvania. I've also posted the sentencing guidelines and it's 10 years.

Amendola asked for concurrent sentences today:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/25/justice/pennsylvania-sandusky/index.html That would be a maximum of 20 years. He can make parole in 10 years.

There is another question, at 78 years old, and after 10 years in prison, how healthy is Sandusky going to be? They may look at threat assessment as well; that is where his age comes into play. And, of course, he'll have to live that long.

btw, old jer still insists he's innocent, which will preclude parole (which I'm sure is an important part of JJ's figgerin on when Jer gets out). wonder if he'll ever come down to earth?

After 10 years, and no successful appeal, Sandusky probably will. I doubt if he'll admit to it until after his appeals are exhausted.

I can only recall one instance in four decades where Paterno touted anything similar to "I'm a virtuous/moral guy". Please provide your sources as some of us would like to read them.

Post respectfully snipped for focus

Following article snipped for length and BBM:

Link: Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frank_fitzpatrick/133826027.html#ixzz1ys2AGQyr

Sherrill’s name has come up often since news of the scandal broke more than a week ago. It’s a reference to a comment Paterno made in an off-the-record session with reporters in 1979.

Asked at the time if he had any plans to enter politics, Paterno said:

“I’m not going to give up college football to the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers of the world,” he said, referring to the coaches at then trouble-plagued Pitt and Oklahoma, respectively.

The remark made its way into print and Paterno publicly apologized to Switzer though, as far as anyone knows, not Sherrill.

Paterno, himself, understood that he might have mounted his high horse too readily, but he could never help himself. He did so, he said, only because he felt an obligation to make his players, his team and his game better.

“I don’t like to put myself up as a do-gooder,” he said in 1981, “but I am.”

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frank_fitzpatrick/133826027.html#ixzz1ys2AGQyr

And say what? "I didn't witness anything, but ... " Had he walked in on Sandusky, that would be different.

Neither Paterno nor McQueary were mandatory reporters to child services. I think they were required to report it to their superiors, which they did. Whether that was by statute or policy, I don't know.

BBM and not picking on you at all.

I don't give a flying F is these two were mandatory reporters or not. This was child rape we are talking about. When a child is concerned, you do anything and everything to protect that child from ANYONE who may harm them, whether you are a coach, friend, stranger or their parent. It's called a moral compass! Heck, if you have anything but ice running through your veins, you do the right thing and protect the child...period.

JMO and not directed at anyone. Just sick of reading the excuses for NOT doing a damn thing, regardless of what the "rules" require. :banghead:

Still on yesterday's posts...have tons to catch up on, but had to get that out. Whew, and back to reading. :seeya:

Well, everything posted was from other states. They are not applicable for Pennsylvania. I've also posted the sentencing guidelines and it's 10 years.

Amendola asked for concurrent sentences today:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/25/justice/pennsylvania-sandusky/index.html That would be a maximum of 20 years. He can make parole in 10 years.

There is another question, at 78 years old, and after 10 years in prison, how healthy is Sandusky going to be? They may look at threat assessment as well; that is where his age comes into play. And, of course, he'll have to live that long.

After 10 years, and no successful appeal, Sandusky probably will. I doubt if he'll admit to it until after his appeals are exhausted.

I have no legal background or knowledge for PA sentencing by the way. But it seems ludicrous he could get concurrent sentencing in this. Basically he'd have the same punishment molesting 1 person or 10? How can that be justice?

I also don't know PA sentencing rules, but I do know that, in this case, there were 10 separate victims, each deserving justice. There should be 10 concurrent sentences with at least 10 years each. Each sentence could stack the individual crimes for each victim.

Good Morning everyone!

Just an FYI, Matt Sandusky will be on TODAY this morning.

correction: MS was not interviewed but snippets of his interview w/ investigators was aired. I'll add link when it's posted to the TODAY site.

Link to snippets of Matt Sandusky's interview with investigators. Heartbreaking!

[ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/47959226#47959226"]msnbc.com Video Player[/ame]

I have no legal background or knowledge for PA sentencing by the way. But it seems ludicrous he could get concurrent sentencing in this. Basically he'd have the same punishment molesting 1 person or 10? How can that be justice?

it is theoretically possible. consider its Pa, an original 13th colony/state that apparently seeks to protect criminals at the expense of public safety. its criminal coddling laws are well known to its legislature, which was content to keep up the evil state supports until a spotlight was thrown on it by ole jer's case. So just the NIGHT BEFORE LAST the legislature passed a bill which had been languishing in Pa. proceedural limbo for years which would allow a jury to hear from mental health experts in trial who could inform them on the potential (even probable) effects of child molestation on its victims. Consequently in this trial ole Jer was able to have a bought and paid for mental health professional testiy in his behalf as to a hypothetical histronic personality disorder he might or might not have, which 1. if true would have no effect on whether or not he molested children but would hopefully (for him) muddy the waters in the juros mind, but 2. was, imo, a made up mental condtition by a person who makes his living testifying for money (that person would of course be willing to testify in any trial about a variety of illnesses--- for compensation), and 3. in the first place was presented only in an absurd attempt to try and explain why a grown man would write love letters to a 10 year old boy, which 4. is a complete boat load of cr@p , but 5. ya gotta keep in mind that while it was OK for the "expert" to testify FOR the molester, Pa. law prevented a mental health expert from explaining to a jury anything about the effects of sexual abuse of minors on victims, 6. which allowed ole Jers atty to say in closing argument that the grinnin sleeze must be innocent since there were no reports of his diddling minors when he was a younger man, and also 6) allowed Joe Davola (ole Jers atty) to make many untrue, unsupported accusations about Jer's accusers in closing which the jury was left to deal with without any information about the effects that sexual abuse might have on CHILDREN, such as, it would seriously impact their ability to report the predator for years and years and years. for instance one of Ronald Regans boys was molested as a child and kept it a secret for decades. one would think information like that would be helpful for a jury to consider when an atty makes the outlandish and unproveable statrement in closing that his client must be innocent since he is old and has only been a suspect of sexual abuse for twenty years. Well, Pa. did not. Until this trial, which focused the spotlight nationally on its criminal coddlinglaws. Then and only then, the Pa. legislators hastened to pass a bill to correct all this. You should know that because of the Pa. criminal coddling law in question the commonwealth recently freed a child molestor/murderer who immediately went to another state and raped and killed another child, but was finally put away in that state, in large part because all other 49 states allow mental health experts to explain to jurors why some ravings of defense atty's are misleading,untrue, smoke screens.

All of which is to say, that in Pa. anything is possible when it comes to criminals, and when penn state supporters point out that ole Jer might be walking the streets in 2 or three years, such an atrocity is theoretically possible.

I suppose we should be grateful that the Pa. jury was able to convict the sleeze ball in the first place, unlike a certain jury in Florida, which couldn't quite see the truth even after it was carefully laid before them by a skilled and competent prosecutor while a bumbling, incomepent defense atty was apparently able to create just a tad of "reasonable doubt" in the jurors mind which freed America's most hated woman, who is now joined in the public mind by America's most hated man who is not a politician.

So, yeah, ole Jer could theoretically be walking the streets and stalking underpriviledged minors in just a few years. Brought to you by the Commonwealth of Pa. (quaint isnt it, "Commonwealth"). Its all up to the judge.

Although I personally believe that even if it works out that way, ole Jer has put himself in legal jeoprady by taking at least one minor across state lines for the purpose of sex, and the feds are just waiting for Pa to pass the buck, at which time they will put a permanent end to whatever pink colored cloud the convicted sex offender is living beneath.

in summary, anything is possible in Pa.

imo.

BBM:

He is definately still up on his pedestal in his own mind. I don't doubt he will give prison interviews. I wish his memory could be taken away from him because he will re-live his most favorite memories with those young boys, over and over, IMO.

JS probably wants to be in general population so he can talk 'football' with the guys. Little does he realize that there are some great big inmates there who have young boys. Someone will kill him within 2 years, IMO. Meantime, there will be some other surprises in store for him. Hey, Ger, eat the yummy jail food. It will be prepared for you in a special way. Count on it.

:biggrin: He has probably already put in an Inmate Request form to volunteer to coach the informal prison football team. The players will have to be small in stature and childlike.

JS, may you live out whatever is remaining of your life in prison.

Now, that is all I have to say about that.

MOO's

It is not only possible but probable on at least some of the charges.

Here is an example, a former cop: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/06/new_sentencing_date_set_for_fo.html

He was convicted of some of the same charges, and had about half the number of charges. He was sentenced to 10-19 years, and can be paroled in just under ten years. The difference is, he'll be 50-51 when that happens.

Sandusky will be, at best, in his late 70's, and he'll be on Meagan's List for the remainder of his life.

If we are lucky, it might be 15-30, and Sandusky will be out by his 85th birthday.

BBM:

He is definately still up on his pedestal in his own mind. I don't doubt he will give prison interviews. I wish his memory could be taken away from him because he will re-live his most favorite memories with those young boys, over and over, IMO.

JS probably wants to be in general population so he can talk 'football' with the guys. Little does he realize that there are some great big inmates there who have young boys. Someone will kill him within 2 years, IMO. Meantime, there will be some other surprises in store for him. Hey, Ger, eat the yummy jail food. It will be prepared for you in a special way. Count on it.

:biggrin: He has probably already put in an Inmate Request form to volunteer to coach the informal prison football team. The players will have to be small in stature and childlike.

MOO's

Love how you ended this fabulous post with Forest Gump's famous remark! I agree with you.

it is theoretically possible. consider its Pa, an original 13th colony/state that apparently seeks to protect criminals at the expense of public safety.

It is not possible; it is probable. My understanding is that it would be subject to appeal if the judge would do all concurrent.

All of which is to say, that in Pa. anything is possible when it comes to criminals, and when penn state supporters point out that ole Jer might be walking the streets in 2 or three years, such an atrocity is theoretically possible.

In theory, with the minimum sentence, over the objection of the prosecutor, it could be just over 10 years. That is what the sentencing guideline says for the most serious crime he was convicted of in this case. Sandusky could be out, if I understand the guidelines correctly, in 5 years.

My guess is that it will be 20-25 years and parole possibly in 10-12.5. Don't be too upset with that. Sandusky will be in his late 70's to mid 80's, if he lives that long, and not be around young children if he makes parole. Libidos tend to fade in males with age. Worry about the guy who gets the same sentence at 25 (even if he went to Pitt).

And, as you pointed out, there is the possibility of federal charges.

just bewteen us, ole jer is done. ya gotta remember that he hasn't faced reality yet, and I would be shocked if he is able to b4 the sentencing, in which case the judge will certainly sentence him to an effective death-in-prison sentence.

imagine your the judge...

jer insists, i didnt no nuthin to those boys but touch em on the legs and shower with them some

now, are u gonna allow him to potentially walk the streets again?

think about it.....

even judges have to live in the community....

BBM:

MOO's

For sure. Ole jer will want to "his story" out. LMAO I had the same thought when he got to the big house. Request to Coach or start up a "Touch" Football Team :what: :floorlaugh: Jer doesn't Interview very well so i really look forward to it :moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaltPetals