Possible lead in Susan Powell case, 8-18-11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, it could have been just an excuse. I just remember this article now that Tfrohning mentioned what the son said. It could be anywhere...just hope she's found & the gp's are allowed to see/gain custody of their grandchlldren. Not to mention, the guilty party arrested asap too!

Missing Mom Susan Powell's Son: "Mommy's in the Mine"

By Kate Wharmby Seldman on Oct 8, 2010
In an explosive new development in the Susan Cox Powell case, the missing Utah mom's four-year-old son reportedly said, "Mommy's in the mine, looking for crystals."
The boy reportedly made the statement after his mom went missing in Dec. 2009, but it wasn't made public until now.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/missing-mom-susan-powell-s-son-mommy-s-in-the-mine

ITA, I was thinking the very same thing, ie., LE is giving somebody a hellava heads up here............:waitasec:

Agree. Why the cameras and press? The could have conducted their investigation/search all prior and then released the info from SLC. I find this extremely odd; and am curious since it's in NV will the FBI be present also? Good possibility they will announce they found her tho. I have some thoughts...but will hold off at this point in time.

ETA: Why is it taking so long for a page or comment to load?

The question in addition to WHY release this information... is WHERE would this tip have come from? :waitasec:

That is what I don't understand. Why now? Where did it come from? If it isn't a body found months ago... Why Ely?

I don't think so.

The children are with their father, because he's not been charged with a crime.
With the Powells bringing it all on themselves, including total hatred from the community, there will be no problem with the Coxes gaining custody of the children.

In plenty of other cases they have been able to take the kids away before the person was charged. Josh being a person of interest would have been helpful to at least getting visitation.

There should have been an argument made that it was detrimental to the kids to uproot them right after losing their mother and take them away from their entire family. Then not even let them see their family in Washington.

Would it have worked? Probably not, but it would be on the record that they tried. That is important.

I hope this lead pans out, and Susan's remains are found, so she can be laid to rest.
As for the custody issue, I don't know what the laws are, but here in Texas it is a battle for grandparents to even get visitation rights. If Josh is arrested, the boys will more than likely stay with his parents, so as to keep them in familiar surroundings. But the maternal grandparents should be able to get visitation, at least. A lot depends on the judge. I feel for these two little boys, they must miss their mother dearly.

This is exactly it. Not moving them from where they have been... when their father's arrest would be traumatic enough.

Josh's family can say "We have been taking care of these boys for two years. They haven't even seen the Cox family. The Cox family has not petitioned the court to see these children. They haven't contributed money to these children. Why now, do they have an interest in these children?"

I have a case unfolding like this in my own family. I fear that the Cox family will end up in the same situation.... not getting the kids because they never officially fought Josh in court. Whether they thought they would win or not... :banghead:

I hope I can sleep tonight ..... What time did they say the presser was going to be ? TIA

I hope LE has had Josh under close survellience since this lead went public. I totally expect that he would not hesitate to flee if he can, or kill himself and the kids. In his mind, those boys are his property.

Josh will not be able to handle being exposed as a liar and a murderer.

Hmmm...is there a scanner thread for this case? Wouldn't hurt to give it a listen tonight, just in case he decides to take a ride!

The county for Ely I can not find a feed. Does anyone know the county that Josh and his dad live in?

I don't think that Josh would kill his self. I sure papa Powell has escape plan.:banghead: Papa Powell runs that family or should I say cult:waitasec:

I dunno. I'm still thinking about the kids who found the human bones .... and if the bones had undergone DNA testing.

Unless Josh cleverly switched vehicles, all he had on either trip was the family minivan or a compact rental. Not much off-roading in either of those, in icy, rutted, roads in freezing weather....that you're unfamiliar with.

The word "mine" used by one of the kids, could almost refer to anything...or just an excuse.

I been looking for that link to the kids that found bones.

Seriously?? Can I laugh here... or would that be totally inappropriate??? I will just giggle. :giggle:

http://twitter.com/#!/KSLSheryl

@KSLSheryl Sheryl Worsley

Josh says this is likely good news and he feels he will be vindicated.

(For the record, MsF would love NOTHING more than to hear Susan is alive and Josh is 100% innocent. But we live in reality... not Powell land.)

I don't think Powells will get custody of the boys. Papa Powell will go down with Josh. Imo

The only reason Josh won't let the boys see the Coxs is because in my broken heart one of the boys knows what happen.

Seriously?? Can I laugh here... or would that be totally inappropriate??? I will just giggle. :giggle:

http://twitter.com/#!/KSLSheryl

@KSLSheryl Sheryl Worsley

Josh says this is likely good news and he feels he will be vindicated.

(For the record, MsF would love NOTHING more than to hear Susan is alive and Josh is 100% innocent. But we live in reality... not Powell land.)

:floorlaugh:

I wish that were the case. Not likely going to happen anytime soon. WA State is the worst laws for any Grandparents rights cases! They will have to fight very hard to even get visitation. :banghead:

Well, if Josh is arrested, it will only pit one grandparent against the other grandparents. Which do you think the judge should choose? I know which I would choose.

If Josh went to jail, who'd be left to battle for custody?

Two sets of grandparents.

Are you saying that NONE of the grandparents would have the rights to custody, and that custody would be given to the state? I don't think so. In fact, I believe if Josh went to jail, it would be pro-forma for the children to go to the Cox family.

This is my thought as well. And judging by the disgusting way Josh's father speaks about Susan, I think a judge would gladly give the boys to the Cox family.

I'm stymied as to why would the judge have signed it?

They are initially signed routinely. It would be extremely unusual, maybe even unheard of for a judge to refuse to sign a restraining order initially. No proof beyond a statement is needed first round. When they go in for the hearing, I suspect the judge will deny the full fledged restraining order, and hopefully will even chastise Josh for ever bringing it. I hope he also suggests to Mr. Cox that they get an attorney to apply for visitation rights, even if it is an uphill battle.

At the below link is a video for a statement from Josh Powell via King5 tv Seattle.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=16858047

He disgusts me immensely!! How will he be vindicated if Susans' remains are found in or around Ely?? :waitasec:

So...in order to see their grandsons, the Coxs' have to scope out Lowes?? Why don't they have regular visitation?? Josh insinuates in this interview that the Cox family brought this on themselves for not believing his stupid story. :loser:

West Valley has said they got information that needs to be followed up on.
They are following up on it, they didn't give it to authorities in Ely to follow up on.

I am wondering where West Valley got their information. Who did it come from?

Did it come from a tip because someone found something out there?

Did someone talk to someone else and they came forward?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=16858047&autostart=y

"A team of West Valley Police Department detectives will arrive in Ely, Nev., and its surrounding area to conduct a search and investigate the information received," according to a statement from West Valley police.

The search will be conducted Friday. West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell said he was limited in the information he could release Thursday.

"We've received some credible information that definitely needs some follow up," Powell said. "We want the public to be aware of what's going on."

At the below link is a video for a statement from Josh Powell via King5 tv Seattle.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=16858047

For anyone who cannot watch the video... or cannot stomach watching this fine upstanding young man... :innocent:

Interview is in a grassy area with the sounds of children playing in the background....

Josh: It's frankly the best news I've heard in 2 years almost.

Reporter:
Did the police contact you at all... or was it just...

Josh: Nope, nope, just the media.

Reporter:
Is that odd?

Josh: *laughs* No, it's not odd for the police to not contact me. They don't contact me. They don't make attempts to contact me.

Reporter:
Do you try to contact them?

Josh: We've learned through experience that they say what they want to say and that's all they say.. and it's usually a lot of nothing.

Reporter:
What has this... what has the last year and half, almost two years been like for Josh Powell?

Josh: Well... I mean it has been hard. You know. It's a hard two years. It's been lonely you know. :boohoo:
I mean, you know, Susan is my wife. I will always love her.
There's a lot of relationships that are destroyed because of the way people have behaved over the last two years.
And............. it really just changes things.

Reporter:
Can I ask how the boys are doing?

Josh:
Yeah, They're doing phenomenally well. They're happy, they're smiling, they're laughing, they're giggling.
They're boys. They you know, they're loving life as boys.

Josh: It's hard on them, I mean they're, you know again it comes down to people's behavior toward... toward our family.
It has the deepest impact on my sons. Something that has been acknowledged by some of the people responsible.
And unfortunately....... but luckily though, the entire community, schools, organizations, multiple churches...
I mean there's a lot of people who have been extremely, extremely supportive of me, of my sons, of our entire family.

Josh: And you know... It doesn't make up for what other people are trying to put us through...
but you know it's... it's a good commentary on humanity. :waitasec:

Reporter:
Part of the stress on you these last couple years has to be not just your wife not being there... but as you talked about, being the target, the focus, I don't know what you want to call it. But there are people that think you had something to do with it.

Josh: Well luckily, the police have a credible lead.
I can't say that... I can't say that doesn't cross my mind, that this will be vindication as well.
But mostly I tend to think about my sons...you know it's 100% about them.

Josh: Secondarily it's about Susan... to be quite honest and you know that's the way she wants it... I guarantee it.

Reporter: I asked you earlier about this and you told me I could go with this earlier.
The whole thing with the camping trip... that's one thing that people remember.... can you tell me what.... you know....

*Josh shakes his head*
Reporter: you don't want to talk about that?

Reporter: Okay... um do you....

Josh: I think that... I think that I've said a little too much. :giggle:

Reporter:
Already...

Reporter: You got the point across that you camp all the time with these boys, anytime of the year, anytime of the night and I just...

Josh: I'm not the one to talk about it, it's not relevant coming from me. :waitasec:

Josh: And I don't... can you turn off....

:liar: The END. :waiting:

The video was "unavailable at this time" for me. Guess they decided to take it down. Wasn't up there for long...:waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny
Back