Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG I'm going to pretend I did not read that article because the idea that Rebecca committed suicide in that manner is so ridiculous that it almost defies logic. That she carefully planned to bind her feet and hands (behind her back no less) - fully in the nude - with a scarf around her neck and no suicide note documenting her remorse is absolutely ludicrous.

Agree!! I feel it is ludicrous also (no offense to other posters here).

Why is it that the Sheriff's Office release the first update in weeks on the 18th, basically saying if it didn't come from them do not believe it and then in the next couple of days there are suddenly two articles out basically promoting the idea it was a suicide?

5 factors that puts LE in a bind.

1. Sealed and closed investigation.
2. No appeal to the public for information.
3. Partial crime scene revealed to the world.
4. No alert to public
5. Indicating it was isolated event.

The problem here though is that if you don't say much, you gag and seal everything, and there is no trial, then the public basically has no way to refute the conclusion. They also would probably never get all the information on this case. I sincerely hope these latest stories are being floated by PR people/attorneys and not LE.

August 18, 2011
There have been a lot of media inquiries about a briefing regarding the death
investigations in Coronado.
As we mentioned before, when we have information that we are able to share we
will do so. At this time, Sheriff’s Detectives from the Homicide Division as well as
investigators from the Coronado Police Department are still waiting on the results
of all forensic tests.
When the investigations are completed, we will schedule a media briefing. I do
not have a time frame as to when that will happen.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/0818.pdf

The above is from the SD sheriff...

I am NOT buying the article. They are quoting a 'source'....the source is probably the PR firm.....

LE said they will schedule a media briefing......did they only secretly meet with this reporter????

Nope, not going with it.........PR/defense attorney is the source.......MOO

I agree, who are these NAMELESS sources. BTW, TS won an emmy in 2004 for investigative reporting. On his twitter page now where he's getting congrats for the article.

IS this okay? If not, please delete !!

I think you are ok

TS is not going to win anything as this is one the most poorly written and researched articles I have seen.

August 18, 2011
There have been a lot of media inquiries about a briefing regarding the death
investigations in Coronado.
As we mentioned before, when we have information that we are able to share we
will do so. At this time, Sheriff’s Detectives from the Homicide Division as well as
investigators from the Coronado Police Department are still waiting on the results
of all forensic tests.
When the investigations are completed, we will schedule a media briefing. I do
not have a time frame as to when that will happen.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/0818.pdf

I am NOT buying the article. They are quoting a 'source'....the source is probably the PR firm.....

LE said they will schedule a media briefing......did they only secretly met with this reporter????

Nope, not going with it.........PR/defense attorney is the source.......MOO

I think that is most probable! The journalist rush and wrote a very poor story hoping to be the first with the scoop. Maybe they called him knowing he would do that? Non of that information is validated and saying it was sources instead of a source doesn't convince me. If it's LE then shame on them, but I really doubt this is how they would handle it.

I'm wondering if a reporter or two called the Sheriff's Office with their 'sources' info and they would not confirm it. Thinking someone was writing a new article, the Sheriff's Office preempted it with their update?

OT but fitting and time for a break from sadness.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkRIbUT6u7Q"]"Money" - Liza Minnelli, Joel Grey - YouTube[/ame]

~~~Bolded by me

Rebecca's sister stated that when she spoke with Rebecca the night before Adam found Rebecca hanging in the courtyard, Rebecca was "fine."

There was (1) no mention of her being upset about what happened to Maxie, (2) no mention of Rebecca feeling guilty for not ensuring Maxie's safety as his caregiver, (3) no mention of Rebecca lamenting that she was not able to "fix" Maxie after his tragic accident, (4) no mention of Rebecca being devastated that such a tragic accident had occurred on her watch, (5) no mention of Rebecca being concerned about what Jonah must be going through while holding vigil at his son's hospital bedside. Rebecca's sister simply stated that Rebecca was "fine." Huh?

There is a lot of denial when it comes to suicide. This is especially true when you are raised in a culture where suicide is considered somewhat "taboo."

In our culture, suicide happens and it is often referred to as being related to depression or some other form of mental unbalance, thereby rendering that final act as somewhat more "acceptable" in society's view.

In other cultures, suicide is considered something that one does out of some (misplaced) sense of honor, to accept responsibility for some perceived wrongdoing on the part of the person choosing suicide as their final act of contrition.

Still other cultures find suicide to be something so wrong that entire families can be made to feel as outcasts for the "shame" that a family member's suicide has brought upon them.

As I have related here previously, both my father and my sister committed suicide. Their choices to end their lives were most certainly attributable to mental illness, according to the mental health experts familiar with them have stated. There was no shame felt by any of my family members, at least not that I am aware. There were plenty of guilt feelings, especially for myself, but that is neither here nor there.

I say all of this to make the point that I feel that Rebecca's family may not ever accept suicide as having been Rebecca's choice because it could bring an ill-conceived perception of shame upon the family. Her family may always feel a need to believe that someone else either forced Rebecca to end her own life, or that someone else took her life. As stated earlier in this post, many cultures simply do not, cannot or will not accept suicide as a manner of death because of that public perception of shame.

I hope that all parties involved are able at some point to find peace with these tragic and traumatic deaths, no matter what the causes.

Little Maxie was so young to have lost his life. He didn't have a chance to grow up and experience all that life has to offer such a handsome young man. I am sure that his family is feeling his loss each moment of every day. Unfortunately, accidents happen every day, and sadly they sometimes end in an untimely death.

Rebecca was certainly quite a good looking young woman with a lot of life ahead of her. She was in a relationship with someone who, from all outward appearances, seemed to care quite deeply for her. If Rebecca was as close to Jonah's children as has been stated by those who knew her, then her feeling guilty over little Maxie's accident would not be an unusual emotion. If she was so overcome with grief that she felt she could not face up to Jonah and verbally take responsibility for Maxie's death, then she may have taken her steps at accepting responsibility by ending her own life, to show Jonah that she was indeed remorseful and willing to accept the "final punishment," but by her own hand.
I have not touched upon the idea of this being a murder in relation to Rebecca's death. I do not know if she was murdered or if she committed suicide. I am not sure how exactly I feel about the little information that we have been provided. I will try to set aside some time to think about whether or not this could have been murder and, if so, at whose hands.

At this point in time, I am rather impatiently awaiting word from authorities as to what their investigation has gleaned, and as to how they intend to classify the sad passing of Ms. Rebecca Zahau-Nalepa.

RBBM:

From 'feeling guilty' to sucidal is a big leap, imo. I won't argue Rebecca may have gotten there...may have gotten to the point of suicide but I see no sign of it, yet. I just don't think she went there, to suicidal and completing it, in as quickly as 48 hours. Actually, according to NIMH, Asians have among the lowest rates of suicides:

Of every 100,000 people in each of the following ethnic/racial groups below, the following number died by suicide in 2007.1

Highest rates:
American Indian and Alaska Natives — 14.3 per 100,000
Non-Hispanic Whites — 13.5 per 100,000
Lowest rates:
Hispanics — 6.0 per 100,000
Non-Hispanic Blacks — 5.1 per 100,000
Asian and Pacific Islanders — 6.2 per 100,000
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/suicide-in-the-us-statistics-and-prevention/index.shtml

So, if her cultural feeling about suicide would prevent her from exposing such feelings of depression etc. to her Sister, I'd argue, it may also prevent her from committing suicide, in the first place.

Respectfully underlined by me:

I have seen nothing that implies Rebecca holds any kind of responsibility for Maxies death. The one thing that HAS been consistant is the police calling Maxies death an accident...thus far. That's saying something...;)

Moving along a little here...thought I'd share a tidbit of info...with Chin Burmese refugees to the US, as Rebecca was, according to this paper, normally, the dead are adorned with a 'puan' and laid on a bed in the family livingroom, until it's taken to the cemetary. Relatives bring food for visitors who stay up to 24 hours a day, and they sing and talk about one's life acheivements. It also says burial is Christian, as Rebeccas was...just an FYI for all...around page 50, I think...

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...&sig=AHIEtbTrX-PVrYK3ta9bN7_ggZu9CEZgOg&pli=1

The problem here though is that if you don't say much, you gag and seal everything, and there is no trial, then the public basically has no way to refute the conclusion. They also would probably never get all the information on this case. I sincerely hope these latest stories are being floated by PR people/attorneys and not LE.

One can only come to two conclusions (which is logical) that they have a full proof case or they have absolutely nothing.......

The longer this goes the more I'm inclined to believe they have nothing. Someone is going to have to make a decision.

Save their career or try to serve justice.

As stated before the case hinges on forensic, without it someone will walk. The question is did the forensic team get the job done......

Inobu

One can only come to two conclusions (which is logical) that they have a full proof case or they have absolutely nothing.......

The longer this goes the more I'm inclined to believe they have nothing. Someone is going to have to make a decision.

As stated before the case hinges on forensic, without it someone will walk. The question is did the forensic team get the job done......

Inobu

What bothers me about that article is that it basically claims there is no proof of a murder - where is there proof it's a suicide?

Other than agreeing with the rest that I do not think she became suicidal and completed a suicide in that short of time, I'd have a difficult time believing it even if it was inside or with a set up that seems to make more sense (and for all the other reasons I've listed ad nauseum). On top of all that, anyone doing this had to have bound their feet before they bound their hands. No matter when she put on the noose and seemingly a scarf around it she had to stand on top of something (or balance herself on the railing) first then bind her feet and balance there is a position she could absolutely assure she could get over the balcony but not fall down before she tied her own hands. The other scenario I suppose is she stood on the table under the balcony, then swayed around till it fell over? I still can't see this either. And, like the guy in the article said... why would she bind her feet at all?

As stated before the case hinges on forensic, without it someone will walk. The question is did the forensic team get the job done......Inobu

BBM

One of the problems faced may be the fact that the prints match AS and/or JS...and they both 'lived' there....AS 'cut' RN down; therefore, leaving his prints on the rope and RN's body...the evidence may lead them to the perp but building a 'fool proof' case may be hard for the prosecutor to do.

Therefore, the reliance on the forensics/tox reports.

What test would take this long???????:banghead::banghead::banghead:

BBM

One of the problems faced may be the fact that the prints match AS and/or JS...and they both 'lived' there....AS 'cut' RN down; therefore, leaving his prints on the rope and RN's body...the evidence may lead them to the perp but building a 'fool proof' case may be hard for the prosecutor to do.

Therefore, the reliance on the forensics/tox reports.

What test would take this long???????:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Really a problem with murders where someone close to the victim is the killer.

I wonder if the service staff were ever found and interviewed.

Maybe this was posted before

Hangings:
http://www.forensicpathologyonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=120

Hangings:
http://www.forensicpathologyonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=120
Thanks for the interesting link, time. The more I read, the less I understand what happened to Rebecca.

Might the "scarf" have been used to strangle her, and the "hanging" staged to hide this act?

Hanging

While accidental hanging is rare, and homicidal hanging is even rarer, hanging is the third most common form of suicide and accounts for 16% of all male, and 13% of all female suicides. Most people who commit suicide by hanging, jump from a chair or a ladder, choking to death slowly. Rarely is the neck broken. In order to break a neck, a drop of six feet or more is required, which rarely happens except in execution hanging.

Hanging, whether done with rope, an electrical cord or a belt, always leaves an inverted V bruise, and is easy to tell from ligature strangulation (murder), which leaves a straight-line bruise. Hanging compresses the veins, but arterial blood flow continues, causing small bleeding sites on the lips, inside the mouth and on the eyelids. As with ligature strangulation, the face and neck are congested with blood and become dark red.

Ligature strangulations are almost always homicide and the victims are almost always women. Often the murderer uses more force than necessary to kill the victim, causing deep bruises and abrasions around the neck. The victim will usually struggle, which results in damage to both the interior and exterior structures of the neck and throat.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ystery/suicide.shtml+hanging+suicides&ct=clnk

Hangings:

Thanks for the interesting link, time. The more I read, the less I understand what happened to Rebecca.

Might the "scarf" have been used to strangle her, and the "hanging" staged to hide this act?

From the article time posted:

I can't copy/paste from the article....read near the end about "homicidal hanging"....says extremely rare...unless victim is unconscious by injury/drugs or is taken unware....homicide should be suspected if...signs of violence, furniture displacement; clothing torn or disarranged; offensive or defensive wounds. If signs of manual strangulation, murder suspected....

how long for tox reports, I ask again.......

BBM

good point. why both?

I wondered about the scarf also earlier. It seems like an easy thing to use to strangle someone - convenient, twists or tightens quickly, easily tied, easy to handle. I guess we can't tell if it is covering a rope - that would mean it wasn't used first maybe, but still I don't think any woman would tie a rope and/or a scarf over her hair?

O/T and if inappropriate, mods, please delete.

I was really touched by this story; this was written by a true reporter/story teller.

If you get a chance, a must read.....so sad...

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147545"]Florida Woman Disappeared, But Never Left Home - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

From the article time posted:

I can't copy/paste from the article....read near the end about "homicidal hanging"....says extremely rare...unless victim is unconscious by injury/drugs or is taken unware....homicide should be suspected if...signs of violence, furniture displacement; clothing torn or disarranged; offensive or defensive wounds. If signs of manual strangulation, murder suspected....

how long for tox reports, I ask again.......

BBM

good point. why both?

I've just really wondered if someone threatened her with a gun or a knife and even possibly made her tie herself up (partially?). I guess other things could be used... like if the scarf were put around her mouth to muffle any noise or the perp was going to keep tightening the scarf around her neck it she didn't bind her feet or arms, make her own noose? Or any combination. In this scenario, there would be no gun shot/wound, knife wound, or much forensic evidence someone else touched the binding materials? But perhaps there was an initial struggle knocking down a picture or displacing a rug. Perhaps the scarf or something has some DNA on it?

Are we to believe she walked naked through the house with her scarf on or in tow - possibly with the rope and bindings (else she got them....when and where?)? Or were her clothes found in that room? Doesn't seem like that was the room she would have slept in.

Agree!! I feel it is ludicrous also (no offense to other posters here).

Why is it that the Sheriff's Office release the first update in weeks on the 18th, basically saying if it didn't come from them do not believe it and then in the next couple of days there are suddenly two articles out basically promoting the idea it was a suicide?

This is total B.S. and it is what I predicted almost from the start! Too much power and $$$$. Just keep LE tiptoeing around, the suspects (oh, sorry, POI's) giving them nothing, probably not even interviews. AND, does LE know where any of them are?

Would the average Joe be treated this way? I think not. :sick:

I've just really wondered if someone threatened her with a gun or a knife and even possibly made her tie herself up (partially?). I guess other things could be used... like if the scarf were put around her mouth to muffle any noise or the perp was going to keep tightening the scarf around her neck it she didn't bind her feet or arms, make her own noose? Or any combination. In this scenario, there would be no gun shot/wound, knife wound, or much forensic evidence someone else touched the binding materials? But perhaps there was an initial struggle knocking down a picture or displacing a rug. Perhaps the scarf or something has some DNA on it?

Are we to believe she walked naked through the house with her scarf on or in tow - possibly with the rope and bindings (else she got them....when and where?)? Or were her clothes found in that room? Doesn't seem like that was the room she would have slept in.

It will be interesting if we ever find out how her clothing was arranged. The neater the clothing is piled or folded one on top of the other often means the suicide victim had thought about doing this longer than just a short impulsive period of time that may have been brought on by depression or feelings of despair combined with alcohol or drugs.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member