Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/5 - 2/9 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those worried BPD is a mitigating factor, I can assure you it is not. Provided the jury gets (and understands) a good explanation of BPD, which I trust Dr. Demarte has and will continue to provide along with Juan, they will not see it as mitigation.

How can I insist on this? My mother has BPD. She was a single parent and I the only child, so I've directly experienced so many if the BPD behavior manifestations. In my early 30's BPD was explained to me by my counselor because through our sessions she concluded my mom had BPD. At first I didn't believe it, but the more I read and the more she educated me I realized my mom definitely has BPD.

My mom knows right from wrong, but she justifies her behavior when it's wrong using a variety of ways common to BPDs, like playing the victim and situational ethics (i.e. it's okay in this situation because xyz). CMJA knows right from wrong too, and her BPD doesn't make it any more difficult than anyone else to refrain from murdering someone. It only makes her better than the average person at playing the victim and applying situational ethics to justify her unjustifiable behavior (brutal murder).

If my mom were to brutally murder someone, which I'm fairly sure would never happen, I would not be able to say her BPD mitigates her actions just as I've asserted in regard to CMJA. Similarly, I've learned through my counselor that my mom's BPD doesn't mitigate her poor parenting and neglect of me, it only explains that it was the best she could do at that time...but she could have sought help. BPDs know something isn't right with them, they know their behavior isn't normal. This makes them responsible for not getting help. Failing to seek help for a psychological disorder that you cognitively know is present is not a basis for mitigation.

No mitigation = Death Penalty
This is the AZ law, therefore I believe CMJA should be sentenced to death...even though I would prefer a special sentence of LWOP with special conditions that give her very little access to other people. Kind of like solitary, but a bit less cruel, because I think having little tastes of it will help remind her what she will never again have.

My mom is also BPD, and not diagnosed till she was 65. She had been in counseling, seeing psychiatrists and on many meds since I was a child, but no one ever dxd her. I remember when she told me. She was really miffed, insulted. Now I know why she was what I deemed "crazy" as a teen. She would have outbursts one would expect me to be having at that age. But, like you, I realize now she did the best she could at the time.

Speaking of revenge, it's very brave of Dr. DeMarte to testify for the prosecution in a trial taking place where she lives and where her home was featured on local tv after it was robbed.

I was watching an interview Demarte did on HLN yesterday after the trial was over and it was interesting. She couldn't talk about Jodi but she could talk about her experience and what it was like to testify in a high profile trial. She didn't come out and say it but one is left with the impression that she dealt some harassment and maybe even threats of her own. She basically said people become so emotionally involved in cases like this that you have to be prepared to deal with that and protect yourself.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/3...chologist-describes-stalker-death-penalty.htm

Dr. DeMarte described Arias as an extremely jealous stalker with borderline personality disorder and a fixation on Alexander, reports Fox 10 Phoenix. The psychologist also said that Arias refused to let him move on and resorted to spying on him and confronting other girls that he dated. She went on to say that Arias was prone to manic episodes of extreme happiness and despair and discredited defense arguments that Arias murdered Alexander as a result of abuse she endured by him and her own family in the past. The psychologist added that police interviews showed that Arias wasn't liked by some of her family members.

I don't remember this being discussed, but probably missed it. It just occurred to me. Why would the DT list PTSD as a mitigator? What possible relevance could it have, even if they could make a case that she suffered from it?

The only relevance I can see is if they were arguing a heat of passion, snapped killing. Which must be what they're suggesting, obliquely.

There's just no case to be made for connecting PTSD and a premeditated, drive 1,000 miles to reach your victim murder.

Yes, to be honest, I was appalled at what people did going to ALV's book and writing negative reviews on it and trashing her as a person. It wasn't right. They hadn't even read it. While I think she played the victim a bit in her interviews afterward, I can understand why she was upset.

As I recall, most of the reviews were not for the book. A lot of them were from real abuse survivors that said JA was not an abuse survivor and since ALV said she was,and defended her even when evidence was shown that she was not, they did not consider anything she said to be of any use to anyone who was dealing with abuse and looking for help and they would not recommend her book simply because she was not credible.

I have read a lot of doctors reviews on these types of sites and I never see positive comments, most are very negative. I don't read into them, but rather talk to actual people that know the doctors. That means a lot more to me. Anyone can get on these 'free rate the doctor sites' and put in what they want, especially those that like to do that type of thing or those who want to get revenge....aka minions.

The flip side of that is when you get a doctor who has helping reviewed and it turns out they are not very good doctors. The first ob/gyn I went to when I was pregnant was terrible. Awful, awful. And he had a high rating, which is why I picked him. Of course the next doctor I went to also had great reviews and she was wonderful. But she had been around a while. Demarte hasn't had her own practice for long. You gotta give it time to build your reputation.

AZL....do you have any knowledge about how other trial attorneys view Nurmi at this point (if any of them are paying attention at all)?

My husband continues to be appalled by Nurmi's lack of courtroom civility, but then he's more accustomed to going up against genteel white heeled counsel for corporate criminals. :D

There was a time when in Mesa she either rented a room or rented out a room. I cant remember the gals name now but one of them moved out due to Jodi's "issues" I remember the Mother of the girl commenting but so long ago i cant be of any other help.

In her journal she writes of an apartment she had in Monterrey, and even naming the building, and something happened, and that at leas the deposit paid for the damages. When did she live in Monterrey alone? and what sat her off to make those damages. She has named several periods of something happening to her psychologically. It was bad enough for Darryl to think she had gone nuts, it's not a far reach to see how she'd go off on Travis if she didn't get her way and crying didn't work.

Remember that anyone can leave reviews on that site. :)

I was playing around. I'm not familiar with Healthgrades. I was just asking is someone here was.

There is also doctor.com
There was also a review that you can read.
The review is: Too inexperienced. No compassion, she has no empathy, could not establish a therapeutic relationship with her. No children of her own, not able to understand children and parents. (this was written on 4-20-2-13)
www.doctor.com

Like I said I had no ideal I would find bad reviews. I was just looking for information on her. I can't help what is out there. I will try and find some good reviews.

BBM ~
Just like AZl said. Anyone can leave reviews on that site. Ironically, this date was AFTER Dr. DeMarte testified for the State in 2013 :thinking:

As I recall, most of the reviews were not for the book. A lot of them were from real abuse survivors that said JA was not an abuse survivor and since ALV said she was,and defended her even when evidence was shown that she was not, they did not consider anything she said to be of any use to anyone who was dealing with abuse and looking for help and they would not recommend her book simply because she was not credible.

I didn't read them all but even so that's an incorrect use of the review system on Amazon, entirely. Your review should be for the product only. People were just doing that to get back at her. The place for personal opinions is not at Amazon under her book reviews. That is her livelihood. You can't tell people you wouldn't recommend a book you've never read.

I didn't read them all but even so that's an incorrect use of the review system on Amazon, entirely. Your review should be for the product only. People were just doing that to get back at her. The place for personal opinions is not at Amazon under her book reviews. That is her livelihood. You can't tell people you wouldn't recommend a book you've never read.

Did you read the FCA threads when Ashton's book came out, and then Baez's? Lordy, the food fights on Amazon over both, the telling of which at times migrated over here. Folks clearly used the review process as a trial debate forum. It was epic in its own way, how much info one could find in the review comments. Very little related to either book, of course.

That would never happen. JMOO, JSS would never be that brave and make a unpopular decision. She is probably sick of JA and wouldn't take a chance of hearing anything about her.

She knows what Jodi is. She's not going to let her out, even if she could.

Sorry guys! You all are always ahead of me. I had just started reading and stopped to post my "feeelings" about DM's reviews....unfortunately, I didn't read all the posts first :blush:

AZL....do you have any knowledge about how other trial attorneys view Nurmi at this point (if any of them are paying attention at all)?

My husband continues to be appalled by Nurmi's lack of courtroom civility, but then he's more accustomed to going up against genteel white heeled counsel for corporate criminals. :D

No, I have never heard anyone mention him either before or during this trial.

I am appalled by the lack of civility also.

I can hardly wait. So much in this end stage is so telling. JSS words will clear up a lot!

I hope media lawyers are ready and waiting. So there is no deny getting videos out.

I'm looking at JA's last journal, over at BK's site. The very first thing JA writes after the murder is: "Wow. UTAH WAS AMAZING!!!!!"

:notgood:

I really cannot see JSS giving JA a dressing down. She may list her reasoning behind her decision, but only in legal terms. :thinking: Of course, I am often wrong. :blushing:

Which gives her more experience in DP trials than KN and JW combined.

Hey maybe experience IS important - she is certainly schooling those two!

Does anyone know how many DP cases Nurmi has tried and did he win? any? And also what would he think if someone said he was just a beginner lawyer back in the day when he first started. I mean just because he has his little lawyer license but hasn't tried any cases, is he really a lawyer at that point (sarcasm, because of course he is).

I really cannot see JSS giving JA a dressing down. She may list her reasoning behind her decision, but only in legal terms. :thinking: Of course, I am often wrong. :blushing:

It just depends on the judge. Some of them are harsh and some of them are more relaxed. It may not be her style to "dress her down" but I can see her giving some opinion on her lack of remorse, the heinous nature of the murder, her behavior, etc. Judges will usually do at least that.

I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree. I am not an abuse survivor, however I am a quilter. If I saw someone on TV talking about a book on quilting she had written and I could tell by her conversation that she knew very little about quilting would I buy her book, no. Would I recommend her book - no. If she is not credible why would I think her book would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks