Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe the judge can drag this out until after her bid to keep her seat on the bench. isn't that next year?

Good Morning all. I guess today will be another praise the killer day and bash the victim day.

I am too bogged down at work to even follow Wild today.

Will check in tonight to see what if anything transpires today.

Take a deep breath everyone, it may be a rough day.

Hey everyone, Good morning :-) Thanks to everyone for the tweets and for posting. I just saw a photo on FB from yesterday of Juan Martinez smiling. nurmi and JW are looking at something, some papers, they are not smiling, but Juan Martinez is smiling. I'm thinking it's got to be something good for the prosecution, right???

I don't understand why there needs to be oral arguments on the request to release the transcript of testimony. The COA ordered it. What's there to argue?

I read on Arizona Central that KN was taking it to the Supreme Court, which I think is laughable.

But the testimony won't likely be made public any time soon: Arias' defense team has vowed to take the matter up for review with the Arizona Supreme Court.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news.../arias-testimony-public-appeal-abrk/20482257/

:seeya:

I first thought JSS' behaviour was simply the difference in the English/Canadian judiciary system, particularly in the role of judges. Then I decided she was weak; perhaps worn down. This morning I see I was wrong, as usual. She is one ballsy judge to ignore the COA ruling to release the secret testimony. She will hear arguments in the new year? I wonder how the COA panel feel about that.

Probably not as revolted as I am.

Oral argument scheduled for February 6? Hopefully that is a typo and Jan 6 is what's meant? Or has JSS already conceded that the trial will still be in full swing through February? Whatever happened to her resolve to at least set a deadline, even if there is no hope she'll bother to enforce it?

That is the omnibus hearing

Hey everyone, Good morning :-) Thanks to everyone for the tweets and for posting. I just saw a photo on FB from yesterday of Juan Martinez smiling. nurmi and JW are looking at something, some papers, they are not smiling, but Juan Martinez is smiling. I'm thinking it's got to be something good for the prosecution, right???

I hope so. These still images are great but they capture fractions of moments in the day. Who knows.

I do not believe the jury is buying anyof this. But I do think one or more will hang the jury, not out of sympathy for JA but just because they won't vote for the DP. And they will see the judge as an enabler.

Any juror who won't vote DP just because is a juror who lied during voir dire. The only reason to vote against the DP is precisely out of sympathy for her.

I'm betting at this point that there will be 2 camps of jurors when deliberations begin: one that is revolted by the re-victimization of Travis and sees the lack of remorse in that, and another that bought at least somewhat into the mental illness/disturbed as mitigating.

What it might come down to is which group feels their belief most passionately, enough to want to persuade other jurors until they come around. In that scenario I'd bet that the jurors who saw the pedo and abuse lies for what they were would be the most riled up. Like here.

I don't understand why there needs to be oral arguments on the request to release the transcript of testimony. The COA ordered it. What's there to argue?

AZL can say whether I'm off target, but I don't even think this is legally proper at this point for her to do that. What she should say is e.g. "I'm releasing it at 3pm this Monday" and then it's up to KN to try to get a stay before that time. If he can't, then she releases it. End of story - there's nothing to discuss or argue in her courtroom since she already was instructed to release it.

Dr. Geffner said he interviewed 10 people. Can we figure out who they are? He mentioned some, but not all, IIRC.

1. Brother Carl
  2. Aunt Sue
  3. Former boyfriend Matt McCartney
  4. Former boyfriend Darryl Brewer
  5. Laura, sister of Darryl Brewer
  6. Friend from teenage years
  7. Former co-worker, male
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?

It did not seem as if Geffner interviewed her parents, which is sketchy.

Did he actually interview them himself? I could have sworn someone tweeted he only READ the previous interviews. Does anyone else remember?

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq 17m17 minutes ago
#JodiArias trial starts 9:00aAZT, ends late 5:15. Wrapping up DrG direct by hook or crook (not to call anyone a Ho or gun thief or anything)

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 22m22 minutes ago
REMINDER: #JodiArias starts at 9am today judge wants to get in a lot of court today...for once.

Thank you, Dmacky and cindymack. Now we know what was occurring at the time of Arias' dive into despair, 1998. Bad times with Bobby Juarez & meeting Victor Arias. Another instance of vine swinging that doesn't end well.

This giant and costly indulgence of the defendant's demands is numbing. More of it on the way. But I found an old recipe I am going to try. No cooking needed. Take your twits, add a generous float of Christmas Spirit, let set until those twits absorb. Add more, as needed, processing the same way as twits come to hand. Make sure the Spirit floats above the twits. Too good not to pass on.

Merry Christmas!

AZL can say whether I'm off target, but I don't even think this is legally proper at this point for her to do that. What she should say is e.g. "I'm releasing it at 3pm this Monday" and then it's up to KN to try to get a stay before that time. If he can't, then she releases it. End of story - there's nothing to discuss or argue in her courtroom since she already was instructed to release it.

At this point I think that she genuinely believes in Arias' right to secrecy.

After reading the press' motion I think it is that Nurmi is wanting to hold off until he can appeal to the Supreme Court. They ask either the judge release the transcript immediately or advise Nurmi to file an expedited motion for the sc to review the COA's decision. And it sounds like media anticipated Nurmi would stall in this way.

IMHO, the SC will pass on this one, anyway.

After reading the press' motion I think it is that Nurmi is wanting to hold off until he can appeal to the Supreme Court. They ask either the judge release the transcript immediately or advise Nurmi to file an expedited motion for the sc to review the COA's decision. And it sounds like media anticipated Nurmi would stall in this way.

You're probably correct. But this continues the current endless loop. Her "advising" him to do so means she'll keep it sealed until he "decides" to do so. So he can wait a month or two to do it and then, after they reject him, say JSS needs to give him until October to let him bring it to the US Supreme Court. It's not her role to "advise" him of anything anyway.

It's stupid. Unless she sets a release date in the VERY near future, she has ignored the COA ruling.

IMHO, the SC will pass on this one, anyway.

BBM: and there you have it, in a nutshell!

Did he actually interview them himself? I could have sworn someone tweeted he only READ the previous interviews. Does anyone else remember?

As I understand the tweets, Dr. Geffner reads from pages in court from an actual interviews, but who is to believe if he actually interviewed these people. DT could have drafted the testiphony and the wlling participants/witness merely signed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop