Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there court tomorrow? Or is the juror out sick? I can't remember.

It means that if the omnibus motion is successful and there is an order entered that none of these defendants can be sentenced to death, then the State will appeal. If the State appeals and wins, then the DP is back on the table for all the defendants. If the State appeals and loses, then none of the defendants could be sentenced to death.

OK, let me try again lol. :) The short version of what I mean is that it makes no difference whether this phase ends before or after the omnibus motion is decided, and it makes no difference really whether Jodi is sentenced before or after the omnibus motion is decided. One way or another, she will be allowed to participate in that motion. If the motion wins, she will not be sentenced to death, and if she's already been sentenced to death it will be reversed. If the motion loses, she will be sentenced to death if that's what the jury decided, and if she's already been sentenced to death nothing will change. So there is no need for the defense team to "stretch this out" to make sure the omnibus motion is decided before this mitigation phase is over. Jodi will be part of that motion regardless of the timing.

BBM - If I gave you a quarter each time you said this and it wasn't followed by a needless delay ... I'd still have all my quarters. :thinking:

It's kind of like how there is no reason to grant 99.99998% of sidebar requests and no reason to have sidebars when the jury is not present.

I wonder how many of the felons 'friends' are really the 'mitigation person' posting under different names?!

:thinking: Taking a guess here, MsJosie ... probably 98% of them ... lol !

I think the felon has maybe a dozen "friends", and they all probably have multiple names, so they basically talk back and forth to themselves :D

:seeya:

JA probably told MM what to say/write/ask and it was copied and pasted to email...

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but do we know for sure that the coded messages in the magazines were to Matt McCartney ? Could they have been to Marc McGee instead ? Just a thought, again maybe I missed or am forgetting something.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but do we know for sure that the coded messages in the magazines were to Matt McCartney ? Could they have been to Marc McGee instead ? Just a thought, again maybe I missed or am forgetting something.

I can't remember all the details, but IIRC, it was Matt M. because she was talking about something he had just said in a depo, that was in conflict with what she had been saying. I don't think MM had been interviewed yet by anyone at that time. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Nah, Let me go for a while and you stay. You are an interesting read daily. Me, my thanks button is wonkers so what good am I? lol

Today reading, I'm not sure if Nurmi got the fact proven about TA and MM's wife living at the Bishops house at the same time or not.

Get her sentenced. Many in the state of AZ will be happy if that happens anytime in this month or next one...Come on, the family needs this to be over for Travis. venting

Stay Hope4More. If not, I wish you well. dk

I hope no one leaves!

Not only do TA's family and friends need us more than ever to help them see this through with our moral support, but it's exactly what JA is hoping for, that TA's family will feel abandoned by their supporters with no one to help watch their backs. Not that JM isn't going above and beyond but he is only one man against a whole chorus of Manson wannabees or non DP advocates. The DT is just waiting for another chance to pull yet another underhanded and possibly unsanctioned piece of legal gobblygook, like getting the star chamber treatment for so much of this trial, TA is counting on us all to help protect his name and his family!

Who did Manson murder? Don't get me wrong because I believe he is EXACTLY where he needs to be for the safety of humanity.

JA's defense is giving the jury reasons to condemn her to the DP. IMO, though, they will conclude natural life with no possibility of release EVER.

If your asking because you feel he was re-sentenced to LWP because he didn't actually do the act of killing that wouldn't be accurate either. Those who did the actual killing were also re-sentenced to LWP.

For those of you who are confused about why the Bishop would answer that someone who is admitting or found to be committing transgressions at the time of their baptism - maybe I can explain a little. It's not like in the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" - wherein one could sin and then be cleansed of their sins (or be able to do that over and over).

In the LDS church you are expected to have given up your transgressions (or to never have committed them) by the time you are baptised. You have to be ready for living this lifestyle. The Bishop is saying that someone who is actively engaging in these acts would not be appropriate for baptism at that time. They would need more time to clean up their lifestyle and commit to "the doctorine" of the LDS faith.

JMO

ETA: looks like I was confused via the tweets about where Nurmi was going (ie: Travis baptised Jodi while engaging in those acts was more heinous than convert doing it). Still - Jodi was just as culpable in this scenario as Travis.

And IIRC, the only evidence that these acts actually occurred at that time and place comes from the manipulative, lying killer's mouth. Has Nurmi forgotten that somehow ?

"Tenants", as in "people who pay rent to a landlord"? I don't get it.

I think the spelling meant was tenet:

noun
any opinion, principle, doctrine, dogma, etc., especially one held as true by members of a profession, group, or movement.

Originally Posted by AZlawyer

OK, let me try again lol. The short version of what I mean is that it makes no difference whether this phase ends before or after the omnibus motion is decided, and it makes no difference really whether Jodi is sentenced before or after the omnibus motion is decided. One way or another, she will be allowed to participate in that motion. If the motion wins, she will not be sentenced to death, and if she's already been sentenced to death it will be reversed. If the motion loses, she will be sentenced to death if that's what the jury decided, and if she's already been sentenced to death nothing will change. So there is no need for the defense team to "stretch this out" to make sure the omnibus motion is decided before this mitigation phase is over. Jodi will be part of that motion regardless of the timing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I presume then that there are two dates relating to this Jodibus hearing?

Date 1 is the date OF the Jodibus hearing itself (in May), and Date 2 is the actual date (TBD) that the motion is actually decided and announced, one way or another?

If so, what is the talk around the coffee machine (or your best "swag") about how long it may take for the motion to be decided? Days? Weeks? Months?

And also... if the jurors in the TA/JA case begin their deliberations after the Omnibus hearing but before a decision is made/announced, will Judge Sherry tell the jurors they should still consider death even though the Omnibus is still undecided, or will the jury be unaware of it at all so instructions from Sher (my new "nick" for her) won't even be neccessary?

Hope all that makes sense. Thanks. :)

I hope no one leaves!

Not only do TA's family and friends need us more than ever to help them see this through with our moral support, but it's exactly what JA is hoping for, that TA's family will feel abandoned by their supporters with no one to help watch their backs. Not that JM isn't going above and beyond but he is only one man against a whole chorus of Manson wannabees or non DP advocates. The DT is just waiting for another chance to pull yet another underhanded and possibly unsanctioned piece of legal gobblygook, like getting the star chamber treatment for so much of this trial, TA is counting on us all to help protect his name and his family!
I'll be here throughout this whole trial, no matter how long it takes. I believe all the jurors will too. For those posters who are too invested, take a short break for your health/sanity, do what you need to do, but come back for the verdict. We don't want Jodi's supporters to win, we want to be here to see justice for Travis- the one and only true victim in all of this, besides his family.
Anything Travis did to slight Jodi didn't justify killing him, even if he was a "bad Mormon". And if he was a bad Mormon, Jodi was worse. She didn't deserve to be baptized. She'd already had anal sex and vaginal and had recently lived with a man, and not as a roommate.

If your asking because you feel he was re-sentenced to LWP because he didn't actually do the act of killing that wouldn't be accurate either. Those who did the actual killing were also re-sentenced to LWP.
The Manson Girls: Van Houten, Krenwinkle, and Atkins periodically come up for parole, but are always denied. Susan Atkins died in prison of breast cancer. She tried to get a compassionate release and was denied. The only reason the Manson Gang isn't on Death Row although they were sentenced to it is that California did away with the Death Penalty for awhile in the 70's. I know because I live in the state and not too far from where the Tate murders happened when I was growing up.

It means that if the omnibus motion is successful and there is an order entered that none of these defendants can be sentenced to death, then the State will appeal. If the State appeals and wins, then the DP is back on the table for all the defendants. If the State appeals and loses, then none of the defendants could be sentenced to death.

OK, let me try again lol. :) The short version of what I mean is that it makes no difference whether this phase ends before or after the omnibus motion is decided, and it makes no difference really whether Jodi is sentenced before or after the omnibus motion is decided. One way or another, she will be allowed to participate in that motion. If the motion wins, she will not be sentenced to death, and if she's already been sentenced to death it will be reversed. If the motion loses, she will be sentenced to death if that's what the jury decided, and if she's already been sentenced to death nothing will change. So there is no need for the defense team to "stretch this out" to make sure the omnibus motion is decided before this mitigation phase is over. Jodi will be part of that motion regardless of the timing.

A thank-you is inadequate; your displays of patience and your explanations of law leave me asking,"Why didn't the NFL kick the Pats out of the SuperBowl behind Deflate-gate?"

:happydance:

Thanks AZL. Obviously, just kidding. (Sort of ...)

Did you see Skye in the courtroom after the encounter with Mrs. Arias and friend? If so, was she sitting with BK or the family?

did is not see her again. The only people in the front row on Jodi's side today was her mom and the friend. I got the only open seat after lunch recess. Got lucky. Will be there early tomorrow!

I'll be here throughout this whole trial, no matter how long it takes. I believe all the jurors will too. For those posters who are too invested, take a short break for your health/sanity, do what you need to do, but come back for the verdict. We don't want Jodi's supporters to win, we want to be here to see justice for Travis- the one and only true victim in all of this, besides his family.
Anything Travis did to slight Jodi didn't justify killing him, even if he was a "bad Mormon". And if he was a bad Mormon, Jodi was worse. She didn't deserve to be baptized. She'd already had anal sex and vaginal and had recently lived with a man, and not as a roommate.

BBM

I will be too. I have gotten frustrated and walked away for a short break a few times. But I wont let Nurmi win, and drive me away. :no:

Imagine how exhausting this is for the family. For Juan. I can't even imagine.

I don't think Nurmi did any damage today either, loved the jury questions. Loved the 2 main points the bishop made, no child *advertiser censored*, no *advertiser censored* whatsoever. And no confessions ever about ANY *advertiser censored*. The jury will remember that.

Many more witnesses for rebuttal? I will believe it when I see it. He might be the only other person in the world as full of crap as jodi. I call your bluff Nurmi. At best, he will call some other paid schlump to read a few more emails and texts but won't diagnose anyone because that's not what they are there for. They are only paid to give their opinions. He didn't have any witnesses in mitigation last trial, he didn't have any reputable ones in this trial (so far) and I can't see anyone else worth anything coming out of the wood work.

Oh, I'm sure he has a dozen or so witnesses who will testify. Anonymously of course, e.g., John Smith #2, John Smith #3, John Smith #4...

I'm catching up but I wanted to say something. I see that some of you want to throw in the towel. The trial is exhausting and I cannot say that it will be over soon (I voted June!) but Demarte will be up this week--perhaps even today. Why not wait for her testimony? It will be most brilliant. We've earned the right to listen to an expert who is intelligent and decent for a change. Hang in there you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela