Saddam Likely to Be Hanged Before New Year, U.S. Military Officials Say

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
kidzndogznme said:
I am not convinced that he is dead until I see a video of him actually hanging or a picture of him clearly dead. The pictures of his 2 dead sons were gruesome but left no doubt. The picture of Saddam is very very blurry and shows him with his eyes and mouth closed. Not a standard look after hanging.
For the rest of us kdzndznme, who haven't perused photos of "hanged people" what is the standard look, in case we really need to know??

The short drop actually allows the person hanging to slowly strangle to death by compressing the carotid arteries. It only hurts when you try to breathe. The long drop is intended to break the neck with the fall and causes immediate paralysis and, perhaps, unconsciousness. The long drop is more likely to cause decap as well. The short drop will often leave the hanger with a bluish face from the blood being trapped in the head and also with reddish marks on the face from broken blood vessels. The long drop will leave a pale face.

yes he is dead

A Shi'ite-run channel aired grainy, low-quality film of the body in a white shroud, showing Saddam, who was 69, lying with his neck twisted at an awkward angle, with what appeared to be blood or a bruise on his left cheek.

"It was very quick. He died right away," one of the official Iraqi witnesses told Reuters, saying the ousted president, who was bound but wore no blindfold, had said a brief prayer. "We heard his neck snap," Sami al-Askari, a political ally of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, said after the indoor execution at a Justice Ministry building in northern Baghdad.

Buzzm1 said:
For the rest of us kdzndznme, who haven't perused photos of "hanged people" what is the standard look, in case we really need to know??

In the video of his execution, the news guy reporting said he believes the cloth was placed on his neck "possibly to prevent ripping of skin." So, who knows? Maybe since they knew it was going to be broadcast all over the planet, they didn't want it any grosser than necessary. I'm just glad he's dead.

kidzndogznme said:
That is what I heard too about the black cloth. I believe that was intended to act as the hood. Saddam refused the hood (you can see him arguing with his guard on the gallows) so they wrapped it around his neck instead. You can see in the video that it doesn't fit very well as the guard has to hold it in place while the noose is being adjusted. I thought they said it was to prevent cutting the neck/decapitation. Is there a full version of the video? If not, how come they tape all the way up to when he would be suspended and then stop? And how come all the still photos of him ascending the gallows and the rope being applied are clear as day and then the photos of him supposedly dead are so blurry? I am not convinced.

From what I heard on the news this morning, the picture that was taken of him lying dead in the white shroud was taken on a cell phone.......????

So that means they did the long drop which explains his pale face in the photos and also the bloody neck. I still want to see a clear picture.

Also since they heard his neck snap, it means they did the long drop which is weird. From all I have read about hangings, I understood that Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Sudan use lifting, basically wrapping the rope around the neck and hoisting them into the air instead of dropping. Hmmmm........

Jeana (DP) said:
In the video of his execution, the news guy reporting said he believes the cloth was placed on his neck "possibly to prevent ripping of skin." So, who knows? Maybe since they knew it was going to be broadcast all over the planet, they didn't want it any grosser than necessary. I'm just glad he's dead.

Wouldn't want to rip his skin - that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

poco said:
Wouldn't want to rip his skin - that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Couldn't have that, could we? I almost puked when the attorneys started talking about him being denied his "due process" and getting a "botched trial."

My husband flicked the channel at that point.

Jeana (DP) said:
Couldn't have that, could we? I almost puked when the attorneys started talking about him being denied his "due process" and getting a "botched trial."

Possibly they just did not want to get the rope dirty, since there are several more to go the same route as Saddam. Hmmm, will we really ever know, most likely. Wonder what will happen to 'the' rope when they are finished with it, probably go into a museum somewhere.

On DarkShadows link, with picture, there was some obvious blood on the left side of his neck and bruisy thing on that same side cheek.

That was one really serious slip knot on the rope. Mega well done.

Does the weight of the individual play a part on whether it is a long or short drop? I would think that it might be a consideration. How many experienced hangmen are there, or is it a committee decision, laff here. Hmmm.

What a day in history, WOW.

kidzndogznme said:
My husband flicked the channel at that point.

My husband told me that if I didn't stop yelling at the television, he was going to flick the channel too. :eek:

The person's body weight is taken into consideration when deciding on what drop method to use otherwise decap is a probability.

kidzndogznme said:
The person's body weight is taken into consideration when deciding on what drop method to use otherwise decap is a probability.

For some of us, having to be weighed would be worse than the execution itself. :doh:

kidzndogznme said:
The short drop actually allows the person hanging to slowly strangle to death by compressing the carotid arteries. It only hurts when you try to breathe. The long drop is intended to break the neck with the fall and causes immediate paralysis and, perhaps, unconsciousness. The long drop is more likely to cause decap as well. The short drop will often leave the hanger with a bluish face from the blood being trapped in the head and also with reddish marks on the face from broken blood vessels. The long drop will leave a pale face.
kdzndgznme, you know far too much to have only a casual interest in such matters; is this all in your line of work??

Buzzm1 said:
kdzndgznme, you know far too much to have only a casual interest in such matters; is this all in your line of work??
Hey Buzz,:)

God I hope that teaching is not in the line of work.:eek:

I saw on another thread that kdzndgznme states that she a school system educator.

I think the info kdzndgznme posted about hanging was googled or yahooed.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

From CNN.com:

Saddam Hussein's body has been taken to his hometown of Tikrit and will be buried next to his sons there Sunday, reports from Iraq say.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solange
Back